Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I should just watch Carranger again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

deadly_pudding posted:

"EY! I'M WALKIN HERE!"

He sticks around through In Space, if I recall correctly :shepicide:

He's around through Lost Galaxy actually, although I think they drop the dumb voice part by then

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Xelkelvos posted:

It's a clip show of the direct to video movie of all things. It literally explains nothing.

I saw the Turbo movie as a matinee in summer of 1997.

And according to Box Office Mojo, it made $9.6 million worldwide.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

It wasn't direct to video. I saw the words "starring Johnny Yong Bosch" on an actual theater marquee. That'll never happen again.

Jeeze. I never realized.

Cernunnos posted:

Monster boss guy immediately clowned by tiny child.

Fwiw, Eldar is an idiot and the least competent of Divatox's permanent crew.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
This is getting ahead of things, but since RPM is specifically in the MMPR timeline (Dr. K mentions the Morphin Grid :can:), they really should have doubled down on it while she's watching surveillance footage of the rangers doing the Go-Onger poses, like, "I guess I should have guessed from the old archives that this stuff makes the user go crazy" *shows montage of rangers shouting ZEO for no reason, Turbo rangers sliding around making car noises*

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

drrockso20 posted:

He's around through Lost Galaxy actually, although I think they drop the dumb voice part by then

Chase Into Space destroys his vocal chip until DECA gives him a "trying very hard to sound like Alpha 5" voice.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

deadly_pudding posted:

This is getting ahead of things, but since RPM is specifically in the MMPR timeline (Dr. K mentions the Morphin Grid :can:), they really should have doubled down on it while she's watching surveillance footage of the rangers doing the Go-Onger poses, like, "I guess I should have guessed from the old archives that this stuff makes the user go crazy" *shows montage of rangers shouting ZEO for no reason, Turbo rangers sliding around making car noises*

It's more that RPM is in an alternate timeline that also had similar events occur(my head canon at the moment is that it takes place in the Lord Drakkon universe from the comics, just even further in it's future)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Star Man posted:

I saw the Turbo movie as a matinee in summer of 1997.

And according to Box Office Mojo, it made $9.6 million worldwide.

I probably will never figure out how I never heard of it as a kid. I only saw it in a bargain bin long after the fact.

Apparently Saban doesn't have distribution rights for the movie based on RangerWiki, but no citation is listed.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Xelkelvos posted:

I probably will never figure out how I never heard of it as a kid. I only saw it in a bargain bin long after the fact.

Apparently Saban doesn't have distribution rights for the movie based on RangerWiki, but no citation is listed.

If it's like the first movie, then Fox probably still has the rights.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

If it's like the first movie, then Fox probably still has the rights.

I'm guessing that's the big reason why it didn't get shown during the stream.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Xelkelvos posted:

Edit: Dino Thunder is apparently worth watching, but at that point I stopped watching. SPD is also worth watching. RPM has a few gems that get very meta (and two of the actors got together IRL which is :3:).
They got divorced last year.
:smith:

parallelodad posted:

Vypra is kind of barely in LSR after a while, and the vilainess in Time Force is also pushed off to the side most of the time. Wild Force lady I feel also plays a pretty minor role in things for a general.

I'd say not until Dinosaur Thunder does the show get another femme fatale you see a lot of, and then after that not until RPM.

What about the Mele analog in Jungle Fury.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
This season is...odd I didn't really have interest in it way back when and I'll watch it just to say I did but even with the same cast it just doesn't have the same umpf that the previous 4 seasons have had.

Edit:

Some Numbers posted:

Oh god, Justin really is Wesley Crusher.

Also this I really don't like this kid.

Hey Fingercuffs fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 17, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Oh god, Justin really is Wesley Crusher.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Just in case you're curious, the Zeo/Turbo change caused the channel viewership to drop from 28,000 to 17,000.

MMPR Season 2 to 3 was a drop, but nowhere near that big.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 17, 2017

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

This season is...odd I didn't really have interest in it way back when and I'll watch it just to say I did but even with the same cast it just doesn't have the same umpf that the previous 4 seasons have had.

Edit:

Also this I really don't like this kid.

No one likes Justin. Too bad he stays on the entire season unlike the other rangers.

Craptacular! posted:

Just in case you're curious, the Zeo/Turbo change caused the channel viewership to drop from 28,000 to 17,000.

It'll probably spike up when In Space starts.

Something I learned about today: http://powerrangers.wikia.com/wiki/Hexagon

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cernunnos posted:

OH GOD! ALPHA 6 SOON!!

:shepicide:
I hope the goon from a few pages back that was complaining about A5 is still watching. He'll long for those sweet high pitched AyYiYis in a little.

Craptacular! posted:

It wasn't direct to video. I saw the words "starring Johnny Yong Bosch" on an actual theater marquee. That'll never happen again.
Considering he's a pretty prolific VA, it's not unlikely you'll see him in something big-ish. Just not Hollywood big.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

No one likes Justin. Too bad he stays on the entire season unlike the other rangers.

Thankfully he stays on Earth when the rest of the team joins up with Andros.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Where did this Gremlin come from I assume he is in the movie?

Edit: Also I realized one thing that's bugging me, water based villain and the battles and zords are all land based.

Hey Fingercuffs fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 17, 2017

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Where did this Gremlin come from I assume he is in the movie?

He's in the movie. He's actually the Carranger mentor

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Oh God :gonk:

Why is Alpha 6 a thing and why am I still watching this

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

OH GOOD HERE'S THE BROOKLYN STEREOTYPE

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Carranger sounds like tremendously good fun from what I saw poking around on the wiki.

also on the wiki, apparently there was a dog man power ranger

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Doc Morbid posted:

Oh God :gonk:

Why is Alpha 6 a thing and why am I still watching this

COME BACK, NINJOR, ALL IS FORGIVEN :smith:

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

What...what :stare: I'm now rooting for the villans.

Edit: This is like looking at a horrific train wreck I want to look away but I just can't.

Hey Fingercuffs fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 17, 2017

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

This is like looking at a horrific train wreck I want to look away but I just can't.
Car wreck would probably be more appropriate in this case :v:

turn left Tommy! nooo

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

This is like looking at a horrific train wreck I want to look away but I just can't.

The source material is a parody of the Sentai genre, so...

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

McDragon posted:

Carranger sounds like tremendously good fun from what I saw poking around on the wiki.

He's later! He's even still a dogman in the Power Rangers adaptation of that sentai, it's great! But he doesn't keep his awesome roll-call speech, where he refers to himself as "the guard dog of Hell, who cuts down evildoers".

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Of all the things bad about Turbo, Justin gets a lot of hate but there's really nothing wrong with him. He a better actor than most of the cast and doesn't really do any annoying kid tropes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
We're still in the stage of the series where it was trying to be relatively serious in the face of parody and ridiculousness instead of just rolling with it.

I still fondly remember the time they got baked into a pizza and I kept wondering why there was Japanese text since I didn't know about Sentai back then.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

McDragon posted:

Dog is way, way improved in the american version which is surprising Disney gave it so much budget.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Tae posted:

Dog is way, way improved in the american version which is surprising Disney gave it so much budget.
Wasn't that because they mistakenly thought he was the sixth ranger?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Caranger kinda saved Sentai at the time.

Turbo almost killed Power Rangers.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

MadScientistWorking posted:

Wasn't that because they mistakenly thought he was the sixth ranger?

I mean, he technically was. The "actual" sixth ranger shows up way later, and DekaMaster is way cooler anyway :colbert:

fake edit:
I like how, after she transforms into DekaSwan ONCE, Swan tells everybody she can only transform once every four years, and it ends up not mattering AT ALL if she's kidding, because she never transforms again anyway :v:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

parallelodad posted:

Of all the things bad about Turbo, Justin gets a lot of hate but there's really nothing wrong with him. He a better actor than most of the cast and doesn't really do any annoying kid tropes.
I think he is kinda annoying, but his actor is doing solid work with his material and if he'd be the same semi-wiseass character but a "highschooler" he'd still be annoying anyway.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

parallelodad posted:

There's no win with a 10 year old ranger because if he loses, it depressing the target audience. But if he wins too much, it tells everyone outside of the audience that anyone can do this job. Japan seems to make it work by making the kid rangers kinda bratty and gifted with extremely useful tools and powers. So it's not like a 10 year old can beat up these monsters, just that the most powerful weapon in the universe was bestowed upon a 10 year old and the adults are grateful for their help.

Gold Ranger is the perfect example. If I remember it right, the kid is just an it of an arrogant warrior prince type? But his cool rear end pyramid is one of the most overkill mechs ever.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Aw, man, I missed the Zeo ending.

Oh boy, I forgot that every plan in turbo boils down to a random object being a loving bomb. Will Justin be saved from the bike that rides itself and has a mileage meter that will explode after 25 miles?! :allears: and zordon's replaced by a lady with a fake accent, and Alpha has a brooklyn accent and yoyoyo and just everything about Justin and bulk and skull are goddamned apes. :allears: :allears: :allears: it's not MMPR s2, but it sure is something.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I like how if you look close at the streets you can see the Japanese written on them.

The gold of Carranger shines through sometimes.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think that, from a kid's perspective, it's easy to see why you'd stop watching the show around Turbo. Not only are you aging out of this kind of show in general, there's just an increasing amount of stuff being changed that it winds up not being anything close to what you previously watched.

The suits change. The powers aren't based on dinosaurs (which are awesome) or mystical creatures (which are also awesome) anymore. Characters you like are leaving in chunks, and even Zordon and Alpha are leaving. It's a ship of theseus, but you're too young to realize it.

Personally, I'm looking forward (if it's not already) to become an In Space prequel. Cassie :swoon:.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

This could feasibly be an actual Carranger episode if Tommy stopped to give Justin a lesson about traffic safety when riding a bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

Personally, I'm looking forward (if it's not already) to become an In Space prequel. Cassie :swoon:.

Yup, I'm waiting for Passing the Torch. Cassie and Ashley!

And then the infamous pizza episode. :allears: