Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everdave
Nov 14, 2005
My wife decided for the first time in 8 years of being married to hand wash a car. The brand new Prius. With my 2 year old. With dishwashing liquid. With the abrasive dish washing sponges. And just let the 2 year old have free reign in the gravel driveway dropping and picking up the sponge (thus acquiring tiny rocks stuck to it).

I now have literally hundreds of through the paint scratches on our brand loving new car. FML. Oh and I am the rear end in a top hat for getting mad about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
That sucks but at least it's just a Prius. With the addition of the "family" vehicle I just stopped giving a gently caress in short order to avoid losing my poo poo over stuff like that

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
Yeah, but if the scratches are all the way through the paint to the metal it'll turn into a rust bucket in short order.

Its one thing to shrug off purely cosmetic damage, but paint scratched through to the metal all over the car will trash it before he pays it off.

Might want to call your insurance and see if that kind of damage is covered under comprehensive.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 17, 2017

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

everdave posted:

My wife decided for the first time in 8 years of being married to hand wash a car. The brand new Prius. With my 2 year old. With dishwashing liquid. With the abrasive dish washing sponges. And just let the 2 year old have free reign in the gravel driveway dropping and picking up the sponge (thus acquiring tiny rocks stuck to it).

I now have literally hundreds of through the paint scratches on our brand loving new car. FML. Oh and I am the rear end in a top hat for getting mad about it.
My emotions: :allbuttons:

Goondolences man, go take a drive and yell at a tree or something.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i bet a good detailer could fix it up. avoid insurance though.

happy friday!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

everdave posted:

That is one of my worst nightmares and you are 100% not alone right now. First thing I taught my daughter when washing a car was try to never drop the sponge, and if you do, give it to me to clean the rocks out.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

everdave posted:

Jesus.....Ignorance is no excuse to make you feel like the rear end in a top hat for being mad, she hosed up, should be apologetic and be doing what she can to make it right.

Hopefully a good detailer can fix it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Maksimus54 posted:

That sucks but at least it's just a Prius. With the addition of the "family" vehicle I just stopped giving a gently caress in short order to avoid losing my poo poo over stuff like that

Well I don't know about you but the first new car I have bought in the past 15+ years it is not "just a Prius". It is loving 3 months old.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I've driven priuses, trust me, it's just a Prius.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

Pros ride it, they have more power than you, it's not going to break. Unless you're nm.
Heh

That's a 10 speed.

Edit: well now it is an 8 speed with a hell of a shift in the middle.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

That is one of my worst nightmares and you are 100% not alone right now. First thing I taught my daughter when washing a car was try to never drop the sponge, and if you do, give it to me to clean the rocks out.

I would do the exact same, I just didn't expect out of the blue to have my wife unleash the 2 year old to wash THE BRAND loving NEW CAR. FWIW I appreciate the support!

quote:

Jesus.....Ignorance is no excuse to make you feel like the rear end in a top hat for being mad, she hosed up, should be apologetic and be doing what she can to make it right.

Hopefully a good detailer can fix it.

Ha ha! This happened last week and I just saw today because we have been on vacation. She literally told me she thought I would be happy she waited to tell me until after vacation )hint: she didn't tell me I saw it when we got back, and at first she said it was from the cat climbing on the car. Yet there are no scratches on the two other cars that the cat has been climing on for the past 8 years? Did I mention FML?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Ether Frenzy posted:

Plus now you don't have to worry about people dinging your door in the parking lot.

Plenty more stuff of yours will get ruined and lose value, learn to chill out.

Cage fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 17, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

That's a dumbass thing to say. It's a brand new car no matter what kind of car it is, don't act like you wouldn't be pissed if it happened to you.

everdave posted:

Ha ha! This happened last week and I just saw today because we have been on vacation. She literally told me she thought I would be happy she waited to tell me until after vacation )hint: she didn't tell me I saw it when we got back, and at first she said it was from the cat climbing on the car. Yet there are no scratches on the two other cars that the cat has been climing on for the past 8 years? Did I mention FML?

Haha wow, trying to cover it up too. Yeah I'd be highly upset.

Cage posted:

Easy to say when you don't have a brand new car I suppose.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 17, 2017

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Cage posted:

Plus now you don't have to worry about people dinging your door in the parking lot.

Jesus christ let the man vent. I'm sure he's not going to divorce his wife and shake the baby to death, he just needs to work it out with people who get it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

LloydDobler posted:

Jesus christ let the man vent. I'm sure he's not going to divorce his wife and shake the baby to death, he just needs to work it out with people who get it.
FML.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Easy to say when you don't have a brand new car I suppose.
And no kids. :D

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I would be pissed but once I got over it it would be so less stressful to not have to worry about dinging my car anymore because it's already hosed up. Still sucks, though. Sorry.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cage posted:

FML.
And no kids. :D

Or a wife. So yeah, no clue.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

That's a dumbass thing to say. It's a brand new car no matter what kind of car it is, don't act like you wouldn't be pissed if it happened to you.
Nah, I just have perspective on what actually matters in the world and disposable driving appliances that are meant to be treated like work trucks isn't high up there.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm sorry, please enlighten me with your much better perspective of the world :allears:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

Thanks man. There was no raging on my part. I am a high strung guy and I get pissed at a lot of stuff that I shouldn't. I mentally prepared myself when surprising my wife with a BRAND NEW CAR Christmas that there would be dings and scratches acquired. But not a thorough ruining of the paint job all in one go.

Bringing it home:

And the perpetrator:

I'm sorry, please enlighten me with your much better perspective of the world :allears:

For real, jeez

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Cute kid, now you get to have some bonding time by showing them the right way to wash a car since they're both into it now.

Lets see how bad the paint is.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah post some pics of the paint, maybe meatpimp can tell you if it's salvageable or not.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Holy poo poo you jerks let the guy vent a little

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seems like a good opportunity to paint it dukes of hazzard orange with the 01 and flag and everything.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Cage posted:

Cute kid, now you get to have some bonding time by showing them the right way to wash a car since they're both into it now.

Lets see how bad the paint is.

I will snap an up close pic tonight if the weather clears up. The worst is on the hood I can feel the scratches with my fingernail. Light scratches ALL OVER both sides but I am not too concerned about that should take well to treatment. On the bright side the 2 year old didn't make it to the hatch door so I got that going for me (plus solidified streaks of Dawn that weren't washed off)

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Unfortunately black paint is the worst (or best?) to highlight flaws in the paint. Good luck.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Black paint really is impossible to keep pristine, but it's also easiest to cover up with the Dr. ColorChip type solutions.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If the scratches are as bad as you say I'd take it to a pro detailer and get an opinion. Some guys can work wonders with some compound and a professional buffer. I wouldn't want to tackle that myself with a lovely buffer and make things worse.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If I spent a hojillion dollars on a new car, I'd want to keep it nice, too :(

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'd be pissed if any car I owned got that treatment, new or old.

Well my Friday night is sitting at the dining table on the works laptop making presentations for douche bag VIPs for Monday, how is everyone else doing?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
double post

everdave fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 17, 2017

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'd be pissed if any car I owned got that treatment, new or old.

Worse, it is "Desert Sand Metallic" not just black black

quote:

Well my Friday night is sitting at the dining table on the works laptop making presentations for douche bag VIPs for Monday, how is everyone else doing?

I am about to start drinking at work everything is fine I am not stressed at all thanks

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I worked until 1AM, evaluated a BLS skills class from 0700-1245, and now am on shift from 1300-0100.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I worked until 1AM, evaluated a BLS skills class from 0700-1245, and now am on shift from 1300-0100.

I'm sorry I can't remember - where you living at now since the Valentine showdown?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I live by Banner Estrella, but come out of Mesa. So I slept in the bus from 0100-0630 at the Mesa station.

E: oh, I see. Yeah, got a place now. With a dogboot and 2 car garage, too :v:

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 17, 2017

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

everdave posted:

Worse, it is "Desert Sand Metallic" not just black black

I am about to start drinking at work everything is fine I am not stressed at all thanks

It IS Saint Patrick's day...

Seriously man, Nashville is going to have plenty of good detailers. If you spend $150-200 on the right one, you'll never know it happened. Sorry your new car got scratched up, don't let it ruin your day.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
In my experience, Toyota uses really thin paint to begin with, except for some of their crazy white pearlescent whatever special $$$$ colors.

Sorry about your Prius everdave.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
You know what's fun? Getting alerts at 1am that your 40kva UPS is overtemp'ing and the output relay shut off.

You know what's more fun?
Alerts weren't setup yet and we didn't find it until the next morning. No fire, but holy poo poo.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I live by Banner Estrella, but come out of Mesa. So I slept in the bus from 0100-0630 at the Mesa station.

I was more asking like you have a place and not living in the bus was what I was wondering. Anyways I never said anything but glad you extracted yourself from that situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
edit: responded after leaving the screen static for awhile. helloooo old conversation.

everdave: I can commiserate to a degree. Our new vehicle needed a new fender 6 months in because the Mrs. misjudged a parking area. She at least knew enough to tell me right away, and since it's a van, i was largely able to not lose my cool.

One year later, and the same fender is scraped up again. :sigh:

• Locked thread