Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

ex post facho posted:

after reaching the preacher synopsis its more lol nothing matters, actually

from reading a few chapters of it years ago whilst trapped in someones house it seemed to be really self-important and aggrandizing, which is dcaf

edit: unlike Ed Balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

i wonder if meeting with trump today made merkel look back fondly on her meeting with putin and his dog

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

Von Sloneker posted:

Hannity's radio show should be live right about now

One of the most transparent parts of the documentary I mentioned earlier in the thread (Blood on the Mountain) was when Massey Coal (led by Don Blankenship) did an anti-union Labor Day rally (UMWA locals sponsor labor day rallies all over Appalachia to celebrate) a year after his UBB mine killed 29 miners in a coal dust explosion

Ted Nugent, Hank Williams Jr, and Sean Hannity showed up to perform

Don Blankenship wore an american flag hat and polo

five years later he was sentenced to federal prison for intentional violation of safety practices that led to the explosion

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

shiksa posted:

imagine if trump stroked out like woodrow wilson and melania started running things.

His successor literally killed himself

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Hodgepodge posted:

i really don't remember the macho bullshit being outgrown, though

jessie bids farewell to the projection of john wayne which is his dad/god that called him gay slurs and told him not to cry, offers forgiveness to cassidy in the form of an outstretched hand, finds tulip, cries for the first time since he was a little boy, and says "i'm learnin"

the emotional core of the book is a hypermacho dickhead who inherited a simplistic worldview from his dad that calcified into toxic bullshit due to abuse/trauma becoming a better, more well-rounded man by opening his heart, learning to forgive and apologize, etc

its not great but its really not bad either.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

BGrifter posted:

Garth Ennis was fun to read back when he was doing Preacher and Punisher. Did he go off the rails in the last ten years or did his schtick just get really tired?

Ennis doesnt really have much finesse. Pretty much everything he does relies on a counterpunch of grotesque violence to most of his plot points, and he can get bogged down in it. He's the guy who wrote the first issues of Crossed for example, which is a comic I think that vastly overestimates the amount of fun normal people have with gore. Grant Morrison can do some weird superhero kills stuff like with Miracle-man but the violence is a pretty small part of the plot. In general I don't like to read stuff in the style of garth ennis.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

AmericanBarbarian posted:

The Boys. But it's by garth ennis so dont read that poo poo. If you want a decent america is hosed comic read DMZ.

What do you have against Garth Ennis? He's very talented.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
xposting this from the bad thread bc its funny af and prepare yourselves for another 6 years of tormp

quote:

One would think with numbers like that, Democratic politicians would be falling all over themselves to be associated with Sanders, especially considering the party as a whole is more unpopular than the Republicans and even Donald Trump right now. Yet instead of embracing his message, the establishment wing of the party continues to resist him at almost every turn, and they seem insistent that they don’t have to change their ways to gain back the support of huge swaths of the country.

quote:

Sanders’ effect on Trump voters can be seen in a gripping town hall this week that MSNBC’s Chris Hayes hosted with him in West Virginia – often referred to as “Trump country” – where the crowd ended up giving him a rousing ovation after he talked about healthcare being a right of all people and that we are the only industrialized nation in the world who doesn’t provide healthcare as a right to all its people.

quote:

But hand wringing by Democratic officials over 2018 candidates is really just the latest example: the establishment wing of the party aggressively ran another opponent against Keith Ellison, Sanders’ choice to run the Democratic National Committee, seemingly with the primary motivation to keep the party away from Sanders’ influence.

They’ve steadfastly refused to take giant corporations head on in the public sphere and wouldn’t even return to an Obama-era rule that banned lobbyist money from funding the DNC that was rescinded last year. And despite the broad popularity of the government guaranteeing health care for everyone, they still have not made any push for a Medicare-for-all plan that Sanders has long called for as a rebuttal to Republicans’ attempt to dismantle Obamacare.

quote:

As Politico reported on the Democrats’ post-Trump strategy in February, “Democratic aides say they will eventually shift to a positive economic message that Rust Belt Democrats can run on”. However: “For now, aides say, the focus is on slaying the giant and proving to the voters who sent Trump into the White House why his policies will fail.”

In other words, they’re doubling down on the exact same failing strategy that Clinton used in the final months of the campaign. Sanders himself put it this way in his usual blunt style in an interview with New York magazine this week – when asked about whether the Democrats can adapt to the political reality, he said: “There are some people in the Democratic Party who want to maintain the status quo. They would rather go down with the Titanic so long as they have first-class seats.”

lmebo the dems learned nothing and will continue to lose elections

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
ill have a large curly fry with a side of au jous

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Preacher has a good start and a good end but gently caress if I remember anything that happens in the middle.

Go read The Invisibles.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
that article takes forever to say 'not literally everyone in the DNC likes bernie...SO BASICALLY PREPARE FOR THE BETRAYAL' as if Ellison didn't get tons of 'status quo' support too.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

ex post facho posted:

xposting this from the bad thread bc its funny af and prepare yourselves for another 6 years of tormp

lmebo the dems learned nothing and will continue to lose elections

Sir we only serve the first blizzard upside down, the policy is clearly laid out on the window

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

BGrifter posted:

Ahhh yeah I could see that happening. Even during his stint on Punisher there were times where it felt like he was trying way too hard, but it kinda fit the character.

The Boys has a gay superhero who gets killed messily and then a gerbil crawls out of his rear end. He fell off some kind of edgelord precipice when he ran out of interesting concepts to build story arcs around. The Boys has some good bits but it's mostly just South Park style fart jokes.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

another trump voter who apparently thinks the president rules by decree

https://twitter.com/baldormoline/status/842796243793395712

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i hope you decontaminated that before cross posting it

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
sorry, i think i tracked some zegermans in, i'll wipe my post off next time :(

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
i like the comic where it shows you how to build the lego you just bought

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

yes mark

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
too late the doors have been locked and the temperature is rising rapidly

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

I just went to 0 allowances on my federal withholdings :whitewater:

Congrats!

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

mark berman status: shook

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Duscat posted:

hey i'm not the one predicting the lone global superpower voluntarily surrendering its leader to be tried in the hague

im p explicitly saying its not likely but if hes bad enough and the american people feel enough revulsion toward him its totes possible, and that trump is uniquely capable of reaching the necessary level of traumatically bad when compared to other recent presidents

im not making predictions im actually saying the field of potential futures is broader than usual, going into some wild places so its actually more difficult to make predictions

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

mormonpartyboat posted:

i like the comic where it shows you how to build the lego you just bought

i like the guy in the bazooka joe comics who pulls his turtleneck up over the bottom of his face

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

gently caress YOU RICK BERMAN

waitasec... that isn't rick berman

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

Putin must have spied on merkel back in the good old days

shes east german, went to communist girl scouts and poo poo like that

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

the new depeche mode record tries to be super politicy and its not very good sad

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

magiccarpet posted:

the new depeche mode record .... its not very good sad

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

magiccarpet posted:

the new depeche mode record tries to be super politicy and its not very good sad

at least they told Richard "Fist Magnet" Spencer to gently caress off

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

music for the masses is a good depeche mode album

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Baloogan posted:

shes east german, went to communist girl scouts and poo poo like that

In a west end town a dead end world / the east German merkels and commie girls

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

dairy queen's are common yet sparsely located. The one near me was still using 1980s interior, neat!

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
we live in a world where donlad tormp is president and time crystals are real things

anything is possible fam

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lastgirl posted:

you know what Trump reminds me of now

The Homelander from The Boys

except just more maliciously stupid and far less verbose

at least the homelander could read

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

magiccarpet posted:

trump willed it so says i

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/842831273076932608

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Nonsense posted:

dairy queen's are common yet sparsely located. The one near me was still using 1980s interior, neat!

the flamethrower burger is the best "spicy burger" offered in fast food, yet few know of it.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Nonsense posted:

The one dairy Queen near me that actually sold food got knocked down and turned into a bank. For some reason that bank also sells ice cream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Lol Trump and his cronies are legitimately just destroying the federal government of the United States

• Locked thread