Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Right here my man: http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2013/NAV13053.txt

Para. 3, A.

They tend to avoid telling this to retirees, because everyone would peace the gently caress out until the VA Benefits brief on Friday. In Norfolk you get a memo stating you attended days 1 and 5, and skipped the DOLEW. You still meet all of the CRS requirements at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
Aw, gently caress. I'm coming back to this thread. Did nine years active before quitting like a bitch, and now I have my papers in to go reserves also like a bitch.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Asking for someone. What are all the ideal IT-esque type of jobs for someone that wants to do four and get out, maybe use GI Bill, and have a possible career prospects as a civilian right out of the Navy

CTN has the best career prospects at this time. I'm getting out in a few months, currently looking at offers starting at 100k minimum. It's a 6 year contract though, and a lot of universities are pushing cyber security degrees, so those numbers might be coming down once the market floods.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..

DustyNuts posted:

Right here my man: http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2013/NAV13053.txt

Para. 3, A.

They tend to avoid telling this to retirees, because everyone would peace the gently caress out until the VA Benefits brief on Friday. In Norfolk you get a memo stating you attended days 1 and 5, and skipped the DOLEW. You still meet all of the CRS requirements at the end.

I tried using that when I separated and already had a job lined up (one of the other conditions in the NAVADMIN). Got into a nice long fight with the lady in charge and my NCC. She claimed there is no way to just do day 1 and 5, and would drop me if I skipped DOLEW, despite what that document says.

I dropped the class and took the rest of the week off and did the JKO equivalent classes... you can add and drop those as much as you want and can just take the pretest until you get 100%, then pass the class. You can do those in like a day then print off the certs for the "capstone" event.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Iron Prince posted:

Aw, gently caress. I'm coming back to this thread. Did nine years active before quitting like a bitch, and now I have my papers in to go reserves also like a bitch.

Don't do that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sir Lucius posted:

CTN has the best career prospects at this time. I'm getting out in a few months, currently looking at offers starting at 100k minimum. It's a 6 year contract though, and a lot of universities are pushing cyber security degrees, so those numbers might be coming down once the market floods.

So he should go reserves right? Get in, get "trained", get his clearances, get a job.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

LingcodKilla posted:

So he should go reserves right? Get in, get "trained", get his clearances, get a job.

CTN-trainee reserves are a little weird, because JCAC gives you about 25% training in all four fields and uses old examples just to teach technique and methodology. Without follow-on OJT & experience, you're not exactly useful in the field. I don't know what purpose CTN-Reservists even have.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Vriess posted:

CTN-trainee reserves are a little weird, because JCAC gives you about 25% training in all four fields and uses old examples just to teach technique and methodology. Without follow-on OJT & experience, you're not exactly useful in the field. I don't know what purpose CTN-Reservists even have.

You basically described the reserves. I knew two CTN reservists, one went active less than two months after school with a tidy bonus and the second just got involuntary mobed for the first time since school in mid 2015. He's spending just under a year in Virginia.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I was underway so I need to catchup.

Guy going into reserves, dont, I regret it, personally.

Person wanting sweet job and certs, everyone already hit the mark, you can try FC as well but you have to go through AECF and might end up an ET. Tons of jobs on the outside for FC's though.

To any Sailor who will ever get underway on a Freedom variant, I'm sorry, I think. As a visitor it was cumbersome, maybe it's better as ships company. Tough to judge now. Mess line was cool though.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Underway is the only way.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Howard Phillips posted:

Underway is the only way.

Just don't crash into Japan.

https://www.navytimes.com/articles/cruiser-skipper-fired-after-tokyo-bay-grounding

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Why is is always cruisers?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Stultus Maximus posted:

Why is is always cruisers?

O-12 syndrome is a real thing.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

DownByTheWooter posted:

CTA is now just a YN with SCI

This actually sounds like the cushest job on the boat.

PneumonicBook posted:

I was underway so I need to catchup.

Guy going into reserves, dont, I regret it, personally.

Person wanting sweet job and certs, everyone already hit the mark, you can try FC as well but you have to go through AECF and might end up an ET. Tons of jobs on the outside for FC's though.

To any Sailor who will ever get underway on a Freedom variant, I'm sorry, I think. As a visitor it was cumbersome, maybe it's better as ships company. Tough to judge now. Mess line was cool though.

My understanding is that there is no FC reserve, if you get out as an FC, you have to go back to Great Mistakes to do the last 9 weeks of ET A school to get reclassed ET.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 3, 2017

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Worked for Jeff Sessions. It all make sense now. The circle of life, don't doubt it.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

SquirrelyPSU posted:

My understanding is that there is no FC reserve, if you get out as an FC, you have to go back to Great Mistakes to do the last 9 weeks of ET A school to get reclassed ET.

That's odd. I cross rated from aviation TO FC about a year ago. 10 years as a PO2, and made First on my first FC exam.

As for what the POINT of FCs in the Reserve is? No clue. I'm holding an EM's billet in SurgeMain. There were a couple of E1 and E2 Reserve affiliates in my A school class, and nobody anywhere could tell us what our reserve time was going to look like.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

SquirrelyPSU posted:

As a reservist FC, that is incorrect.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Knew a guy who did it (CTA) as an E4-E5, he basically did all of the SSOs work while the SSO lazily rubber stamped everything. Its a fuckload of admin paperwork without the advantage of having other poor fucks to distribute the workload.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

orange juche posted:

Knew a guy who did it (CTA) as an E4-E5, he basically did all of the SSOs work while the SSO lazily rubber stamped everything. Its a fuckload of admin paperwork without the advantage of having other poor fucks to distribute the workload.

Now, as a YN, the CTA work is just an NEC-based collateral duty.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Dude I knew from CTN A school stationed in Pensacola apparently wadded his motorcycle into something and died

You can't do much if someone wants to ride retarded, but if one of your idiots prone to being dumb buys a bike, try to get him riding with non idiots to learn you don't need to show off.

http://weartv.com/news/local/driver-identified-in-deadly-motorcycle-crash

Its a straight loving road.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Dog+Track+Rd+%26+Willow+Lake+Dr,+Pensacola,+FL+32506/@30.3995843,-87.3733685

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 4, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Happened back in 2015 with a student too. But he had just left riding home.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Dude in my command buys a brand new motorcycle on Friday for $11k. Following week he drives his motorcycle to first day of Basic Rider Course and on the way home crashes and breaks both arms, destroys his motorcycle, and barely escapes with his life. He did not have have his state motorcycle license. Line of duty of investigation in progress and probably going to mast for riding his motorcycle without state papers or finishing BRC on base. :doh:

Typical sailor tho.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I took all of that really seriously - I was at a command where a dude got sent to mast and picked up an $80k bill from Balboa after he broke his ankle riding his dirtbike without requisite papers.

also that MSRC was really good and I recommend any of you riders take it if they still offer it

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
Serious question: is there anything saying you have to get frocked when results come out? Is it possible to hold off until you get paid instead.

I have no intention to but I've always wondered

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Virginia Slams posted:

Serious question: is there anything saying you have to get frocked when results come out? Is it possible to hold off until you get paid instead.

I have no intention to but I've always wondered

No you do not have to get frocked. You can sit and wait till you get paid. Your peers/juniors will think that you got in trouble and are on a suspended bust from mast or something and your seniors will look negatively upon you for not following with naval tradition.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

No you do not have to get frocked. You can sit and wait till you get paid. Your peers/juniors will think that you got in trouble and are on a suspended bust from mast or something and your seniors will look negatively upon you for not following with naval tradition.

Thanks that's more or less what I thought. I've known a handful of people who said they were going to try to refuse frocking but were pressured by their chain.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah and there's really no reason not to accept frocking. I can't think of a single useful reason.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Because gently caress you, Navy, AND my hair is touching my ears :smug:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah and there's really no reason not to accept frocking. I can't think of a single useful reason.

I missed the frocking ceremony for E-5 because....I think I was on POM leave? And I basically laughed at my LPO when he suggested I fly back to Seattle from Nashville for it.

....It took a while for me to be able to wear E-5. I had to get some of my uniforms updated and some not. I think I got stood at attention some day in CSMC with my LCPO and the CSMO when I was trying to run tags in February I think.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

no cpo365

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Go to a small enough mission oriented command and you don't do that bullshit anyway.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Or just always skip it like I did

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Reason #52 I got the gently caress out.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Thronde posted:

Go to a small enough mission oriented command and you don't do that bullshit anyway.

I didn't do CPO365 and it was good.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
At current command it's "mandatory" .

Not sure how much that's enforced because I'm TAD so much they never expect me to be there.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
In other news, gently caress the GTC. Why do we even need this poo poo. Why isn't it like the old days of "Here's your orders, flight itinerary, and hotel info. Be there." This isn't a cost saving measure and it sure as gently caress doesn't make poo poo easier.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Thronde posted:

In other news, gently caress the GTC. Why do we even need this poo poo. Why isn't it like the old days of "Here's your orders, flight itinerary, and hotel info. Be there." This isn't a cost saving measure and it sure as gently caress doesn't make poo poo easier.

DTS is a loving nightmare and your DTS rep is guaranteed to be an awful person.

It works well in some agencies for travel. I swapped responsibility from the Navy and DTS to the other org as soon as I could and it's been swell.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

DTS has never failed me but it's always been a nightmare to deal with.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I did paper travel claims for everything until it was specifically illegal.

The first time I had to do DTS, I just called the help desk and had them hand-walk me through the procedure once.

Now it's just like paper travel claims: super easy 'cause I've done it a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I did paper travel claims for everything until it was specifically illegal.

The first time I had to do DTS, I just called the help desk and had them hand-walk me through the procedure once.

Now it's just like paper travel claims: super easy 'cause I've done it a few times.

So much of my DTS experience is wrapped up with my opinions of the travel claim approver civilian.

This individual was literally the size of the hallways and if she decided she didn't like you, your claim was hosed. Forever.