Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

No it's not, this is the most contrived and idiotic plot sequence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013
Yes Flora. You must do the noble thing and die for betraying your sister and friends, by horrifically burning yourself in front of them, no doubt traumatising them even further, you melodramatic, self righteous, twat.

Gotta love how due to the tone, it's the clean, dignified burning away, where the body disappears into the ether. Funnily, when I played this, shortly after I got to an event in The Witcher 3 where you witness a public burning, where they're left as charred husks. Seeing them back to back was... a bit of contrast to say the least.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Corrin, if there ever was a need for you to walk into a fire and punch some sense into someone

that was it

why didn't you do that

now her sister with the flaming shurikens and MAG score that rivals dedicated mages is sad

i don't think you want her to be sad

plus you're a dragon

you could have

dragon-punched

some sense there

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
:psyduck: I heard about the self-immolation scene before, but I did not expect it to be so stupid.

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
The fact that there's so much snow around and you have a water dragon thing nearby doesn't help. Especially since it was specifically being on fire that was the problem.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
It was a magic fire, you can't expect to be able to put it out.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Argent Cinereus posted:

The fact that there's so much snow around and you have a water dragon thing nearby doesn't help. Especially since it was specifically being on fire that was the problem.
Yeah, no matter how you look at the scene (either through the "magical fire" angle or the "Ice is weak to Fire in Pokemon! :v:" joke angle), this needed at least another pass through the editing department because it requires, once again, everyone to be an idiot to work. And if that's the best way a writer and/or editor can make a scene work, then it is a bad scene and needs to be scrapped. If the intent was to have a tragic death, than don't have it be so painfully stupid; have say, Iago poof in and try to kill Corrin, but Flora shields him and gets mortally wounded in the process. Yes, the scene is still bad, but it's now mildly bad and flows slightly more smoothly and is not mind-numbingly dumb bad.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Or he forced her with another magical explodo-evil sword.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont even get why flora has to die here, she's barely even been in the game so it's not like her death is that affecting.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

Endorph posted:

i dont even get why flora has to die here, she's barely even been in the game so it's not like her death is that affecting.

No but don't you see how heartbroken our protagonists are over this tragic loss of a maid who thought burning herself to death was a honorable way to go. Look how sad they are, clearly you should be sad as well!

Incidentally, I think it was around this point that I stopped playing this dumb game.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeaaah, I seem to recall mentioning during the Kaze scene that there was an even more idiotic one coming - this would be it. It is so incredibly contrived and nonsensical that there's really nothing to say. You just stare at it, go "huh" and move on.

...And yet a huge portion of Conquest's plot STILL manages to be dumber.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Class Overview and Promotion

Dread Fighter

Pair-up Bonus: +2 STR/SPD, +4 RES
Weapon rank: Swords (A), Axes (B), Hidden Tools (B)
Skills: (lvl 1) Even Keel-During even-numbered Turns, magical damage received -4
(lvl 10) Iron Will-When enemy triggers the battle, magical damage received -4
(lvl 25) Clarity-User recovers from status reduction effects twice as fast
(lvl 35) Aggressor-When user triggers the battle, Damage +7

Rinkah's new growth
HP: 35
STR: 40
MAG: 20
SKL: 55
SPD: 60
LCK: 35
DEF: 50
RES: 40

Dread Fighters pride themselves in having weapon triangle advantage and telling mages to get off their lawn. While the payoff in the end is Agressor which massively boosts damage, Dread Fighter benefits a character by being a promoted class and having stronger HP/STR growths than a Ninja class if you want a bulkier Hidden Tool user.

Rinkah honestly didn't get too much better growth-wise, but her steroids will keep her extremely relevant thanks to her PSkill and combo of Shurikens/Bolt Axe.

Hoshido Noble

Pair-up Bonus: +2 STR/DEF/LCK, +1 SKL/SPD
Weapon rank: Swords (A), Staves (B), Stones (A)
Skills: (lvl 5) Dragon Ward-Allies adjacent to the user have a Luck x 0.5% chance of receiving half damage from enemy attacks
(lvl 15) Hoshidan Unity-Adds 10% to skill activation rates

Hoshido Noble is...kind of a boring promotion. It gains staves for healing, which is fine because Corrin has a decent magic growth. The skills are kinda blah to not reliable, which looks more to be like you should Corrin around at this point via the class change seals.

Spear Master

Pair-up Bonus: +3 STR/SKL, +2 SPD
Weapon rank: Spears (S)
Skills: (lvl 5) Seal Speed-After battle, enemy’s Speed -6
(lvl 15) Lancefaire-When user is equipped with a Lance, damage +5 during battle

If you thought Oboro was one of the dangerous defensive units before, now she effectively increases everyone's damage by 6 and gives Darting Blow to future attackers. Not to mention that Spear Master finishes strong with a flat +5 damage which is useful with so many good classes in Hoshido use Naginatas.

Falcon Knight

Pair-up Bonus: +3 SPD/RES
Weapon rank: Spears (A), Staves (B)
Skills: (lvl 5) Rally Speed-Speed +4 to all allies within a 2 tile radius for one Turn when the “Rally” command is used
(lvl 15) Warding Blow-When user triggers the battle, magical damage received -20

Falcon Knights are still Sky Knights, just bigger and better with a great Rally Skill that boosts everyone else's killing potential. Between Oboro and Hinoka, even Orochi can double enemies!

I would like to see what enemy is required to damage a Falcon Knight's Warding Blow considering they sport high resistance already.

Mechanist

Pair-up Bonus: +2 STR/SKL/DEF/RES
Weapon rank: Hidden Tools (A), Bows (B)
Skills: (lvl 5) Golembane-Attacks are effective against Mechanists, Automatons and Stoneborn
(lvl 15) Replicate-Select the “Replicate” command once per map to create a replica with the same appearance, stats, inventory and HP as the user (Anything that happens to the replica happens to the user and vice versa–even death)

Mechanists are useful for being mounted Ninjas, and have a niche case to be super powerful against specific monsters.

Oh, who am I kidding? Mechanists are arguably one of the best class in the game because of Replicate. You have two units, which means more Debuff/Poison-Striking or more pair-up fodder with its excellent pair-up bonuses. It is Fate's version of Galeforce, possibly even better because it's useful all the time and much more flexible in contributing towards the mission.

Great Knight

Pair-up Bonus: +2 STR, +4 DEF
Weapon rank: Swords (B), Lances (A), Axes (B)
Skills: (lvl 5) Luna-Skill% chance of ignoring half the enemy’s Defence (if user has a physical weapon) or Resistance (if user has a magical weapon)
(lvl 15) Armored Blow-When user triggers the battle, physical damage received -10

Great Knights are beefy and they have many weapons to choose from. They also house the returning best attack skill from Awakening with Luna, felling any opponent quickly, although nerfed a bit since dual attacks don't trigger abilities. The main weakness of Great Knights are that they house two weaknesses in beast and armor, so mind the enemy weapons when charging ahead with Silas.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Lord Koth posted:

...And yet a huge portion of Conquest's plot STILL manages to be dumber.

Considering how Conquest literally involves siding with the guy who tried to kill you TWICE using a cursed sword (the first attempt being PILEDRIVING YOU INTO A BOTTOMLESS PIT), that's easy to believe. I mean, if I was Corrin I would've asked for a new sword after that first incident; clearly you can't trust a weapon that tries to kill its wielder. Too bad Corrin's dumber than a rock.

Anyway, I honestly had trouble getting started on this stage my first play-through because I kinda like Flora, and I knew what was coming. If I'd known it was so stupid I probably would've just skipped the cutscenes and just gotten it over with... I mean really, literally the only reason Flora doesn't defect to your side here is an overgrown martyr complex.

On a side note, that "two weaknesses" thing is a significant part of the reason I always switch Silas to Paladin for his final class; Great Knight has good skills and the entire weapon triangle, true, but I'd rather not have to deal with Hammer-type weapons in addition to Beastkillers, and while I like the idea of triangle advantage over EVERYONE (I tend to give weapon-locked units Dual weapons if possible, and everyone else always gets at least one of every weapon type they can use), it's just not worth the drawbacks. The fact that Paladin gets +1 Movement relative to Great Knight just cements it.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I think have all three weapons in the triangle isn't as good as it sounds on paper, since you can't really maintain good ranks in three different weapons at once. As long as you have two different weapons so you can at least stay neutral at all times, that's good enough.

That, combined with great knights having two weaknesses is kind of a problem. On the other hand, great knights loving rule and I will not hear otherwise. :colbert:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

inthesto posted:

I think have all three weapons in the triangle isn't as good as it sounds on paper, since you can't really maintain good ranks in three different weapons at once. As long as you have two different weapons so you can at least stay neutral at all times, that's good enough.

That, combined with great knights having two weaknesses is kind of a problem. On the other hand, great knights loving rule and I will not hear otherwise. :colbert:

The whole weapon triangle control thing isn't a great deal since you're starting with Bronze, but on Birthright you get a ton of money so it's fairly trivial to forge a super bronze axe. And also on Birthright, enemies are hardly ever packing effective damage weapons, so Great Knight Silias' main flaw is being slightly worse at taking magic hits, which is pretty trivial when your only tank options are Scarlet, Rinkah, and Guard Naginata Oboro.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
UUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH THE FLORA SCENE WHY INT SYS WHY UGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

On the subject of Great Knight vs. Paladin, Birthright has a minor problem of a lot of characters on it being made of glass, so I went Great Knight there so that I could have a solid tank. On Conquest, however, I went Paladin for Silas (You get another Cavalier and two Knights who can also go Great Knight, so it matters less) because I went and married him (like Tae, went Cover Canon) and he will always be Femui's knight in shining armor (for all the writing criticisms, I actually find the Silas x F!Corrin support chain really sweet and heartwarming).

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

inthesto posted:

The loss of Discipline hurt the Cavaliers going into Great Knight. However, you don't really need axes, just the skills that come with Great Knight.

Silas went Great Knight in my Conquest run and he barely made it to C rank axes before the end of the game.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
My absolute favorite part of Flora's idiotic death scene is Jakob yelling "SOMEONE GET SOME WATER" while everyone involved is standing in the middle of a snowstorm, next to a giant lake.

Also the way she stands ABSOLUTELY STILL the entire time.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 18, 2017

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Warding Blow seems okay, but on Falcon Knights it's just superfluous. They have high Resistance already and if a magic user survives the first attack, a Falcon Knight is probably going to land a follow-up thanks to their equally good Speed. It's almost like IntSys ran out of classes to put the skill on and dumped it on Falcon Knight to make up for Lancefaire moving over to Spear Masters. I will echo the praise for Dread Fighter. It is a very good special class, as shuriken access mean you can just toss a single Iron or Steel Shuriken to a Dread Fighter for their ranged/anti-tome option and let the rest of the loadout be more diverse among the sword and axe options.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

LordHippoman posted:

My absolute favorite part of Flora's idiotic death scene is Jakob yelling "SOMEONE GET SOME WATER" while everyone involved is standing in the middle of a snowstorm, next to a giant lake.

Also the way she stands ABSOLUTELY STILL the entire time.

The snowstorm apparently isn't ENOUGH water (doesn't water expand when it freezes?), and you just froze the lake so that's no good either.

It's still stupid.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Carlioo posted:

No but don't you see how heartbroken our protagonists are over this tragic loss of a maid who thought burning herself to death was a honorable way to go. Look how sad they are, clearly you should be sad as well!

Incidentally, I think it was around this point that I stopped playing this dumb game.
like im the kind of person that cries at just about any hokey death scene. give me a tragic sacrifice and ill need tissues, even if it's from a character who's had like eight lines up until now. the thing is the sacrifice needs to make some vague amount of sense. like cuan and ethlyn bringing their freaking baby to the battlefield is dumb in fe4, but at least them getting ambushed by travant's dragon knights makes sense. they came to help sigurd, the enemy had an ambush prepared for them. it follows a string of logic.

I literally do not know why Flora set herself on fire. It'd be one thing if she'd actively hurt the party somehow or had been an antagonist for half the game, but she just showed up, tossed two dozen dudes at you, then killed herself. what does she have to feel so guilty over? takumi did worse than that the five seconds he was possessed by ??? back in chapter 10.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Flora's village will be destroyed if she fails to kill Corrin. She failed to kill Corrin, thus making the situation of literally no downside to joining Corrin's team because either the village is saved via beating Garon, or Garon doesn't follow up his threat which both makes her death pointless.

Nothing other than BUSHIDO FLAME HONOR makes this sensible. By a Nohr Maid.

I'm also thinking of just rolling dice for marriages at this point because I haven't finished all the C Supports.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Hoshido Noble is an excellent class, entirely for its second skill. That +10% skill activation is just straight up added on after all other calculations.

Have 10 skill and Luna? Your Luna has a 5% chance to activate. Add Hoshidan Unity to that and you now have a 15% chance to get Luna off with your measly 10 skill. Well worth getting, and it synergizes perfectly with another skill for shenanigans.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Tae posted:

Flora's village will be destroyed if she fails to kill Corrin. She failed to kill Corrin, thus making the situation of literally no downside to joining Corrin's team because either the village is saved via beating Garon, or Garon doesn't follow up his threat which both makes her death pointless.

Nothing other than BUSHIDO FLAME HONOR makes this sensible. By a Nohr Maid.
I mean, the writers could try to play it off as, "If a scout sees me alive and betraying Nohr, Ganon will definitely destroy the town, but if I've failed and am dead, he might spare it."

And in another game with a different villain, that might even be convincing. But, uh, not this one.

At least I got a chuckle out of, "Water magic isn't working on this magic fire! Quick, someone get mundane water, the one thing that will definitely put out a magic fire!"

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Tae posted:

I'm also thinking of just rolling dice for marriages at this point because I haven't finished all the C Supports.

Picking marriages from a hat sounds like a great idea that will not in any way make your job as an LPer harder. :allears:

What I'm saying is you should totally do this.

Melomane Mallet fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 18, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Corrin X Kagero OTP: United in hitting their improbable growths far more than statistically probable!

I mean, everyone else should totally go in the hat for maximum 'what' factor.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Marry Rinkah.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Corrin marries Scarlet, or else he doesn't get married for a long time.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

MightyPretenders posted:

Corrin marries Scarlet, or else he doesn't get married for a long time.

Seconding this, because Scarlet owns and she deserves it.

Plus, it's Birthright. It's not like we need to optimize the kids.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm rolling a die to avoid the problem that I'm still only on C support. I'll show off B-A-S for whatever's rolled.

Now I just need to find a 13 sided die.....

------------------------------------

C Support

I was hoping you would have some brotherly insight.

Maybe you shouldn't be so peppy when you're trying to do the laundry!

We'll have you in fighting shape in no time.

What are you doing playing merchant?

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Just use random.org.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

I was hoping you would have some brotherly insight.

Well, Kaze and Kagero are apparently bonding over the fact that Saizo's impossible to get along with... Also, I think one line you've got a Kaze picture next to might actually be said by Kagero.

Tae posted:

We'll have you in fighting shape in no time.

Mozu isn't very confident in herself. Kind of at odds with her stats at this point, really- she tends to be pretty high-tier.

Tae posted:

What are you doing playing merchant?

Certainly explains why Oboro's alternate class is Apothecary (which promotes to Merchant), doesn't it?

By the way, regarding my new run: While I'll admit I'm drastically overlevelled (everyone who can use a staff is 20/20 right now), I have no idea what happened to my Orochi. I mean, she's got 36 HP, 21 Speed, and 17 Defense- THERE'S a "who are you, what did you do with the real Orochi, and how the HELL are you that durable?!" unit there (I've seen FRONT-LINERS flimsier than her!). And no, I didn't use stat boosters on her- all that durability is actually NATURAL.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

That Fiona death scene
:ughh:
there simply are no words.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Omobono posted:

That Fiona death scene
:ughh:
there simply are no words.

What about things like "contrived" or "pointless?"

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004
I had completely forgotten about this scene. Jesus Christ.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

CptWedgie posted:

What about things like "contrived" or "pointless?"

Like calling the Marianas Trench deep. Technically correct, but still missing the mark.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
The only thing that could have given this scene less pathos is if the names of the sisters were reversed and it ended with, "Bye, Felicia!"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Not really sure how to interpret this... I guess we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'm guessing Hinoka? She's the 7th lady following that table left to right, top to bottom.

• Locked thread