Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
The Pope in CK2 is super rich too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Welp, best color nation is done.

Got some achievements.

Best Canada.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I accidentally went over 100 overextension in my hype at beating Japan again. I am never ever doing that again :negative:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It's really not that big of a deal, I try to avoid it but it's often worth it to take that one province more. It also happens when I use threaten war for some free provinces after a big war.
I think event wise you want to avoid 140% as those are the insta rebel spawn events. Higher up there's also some stability loss events.

Would be nice if there was some sort of ingame event browser.

Does a Queen Regent for a female heir count as a regency for the Iberian Wedding?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I was getting stab loss and rebels at 120 :smith:

I was thinking "It's only a little bit over and I finish coring all the last stuff at the end of the year", but it turned really nasty pretty quick and took me from being the pinaccle of technological advancement to merely the head of a competitive pack.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fun fact that I just now noticed: claims, both normal and permanent ones, got stealth nerfed with the addition of states and territories. When you core a territorial province, the claim just vanishes. So unless you're coring a province that already belongs to a state, a claim is only worth 5% coring reduction cost and permanents are only worth 12.5%.

Please paradox, just get rid of claim fabrication, because it's tedious, unrewarding, and above all not fun. Replace it with a "justify border dispute" action or something like that that gives you a border friction CB.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Replace it with a "justify sailors game mechanic" option that you can only use on Stockholm.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
If your overextension goes above 100%, one of the best tricks is to lower autonomy in provinces that get a rebel event. That saved my rear end when I hit about 200% after a particularly bloody devouring of the HRE.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Just give us imperialism to start. We're all imperialists at heart anyways!

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Without the CB Religious ideas would be kind of really weak, especially for an admin idea.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Starting a custom pagan country in southern France was a terrible idea. Who would've thought?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Tahirovic posted:

Without the CB Religious ideas would be kind of really weak, especially for an admin idea.

No kidding. If you're going on a religious war spree, the extra missionary and missionary strength don't keep up in my experience. It'd be a pretty bad idea group. You'd need to rely on triggered modifiers/national ideas that give you extra missionaries to really be able to always be above 90% religious unity. Religious should give you two missionaries, anyway.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

deathbagel posted:

Also I need to finish my cheezed Austria run soon so I can get the WC achievement before the expansion hits. They might make my save incompatible. I have 50 vassals and it's only around 1500 so it won't be difficult. Yes, I did take advantage of the Imperial Authority bug.

I had no idea that exists, but thanks, after 1400 hours I finished a WC/One Faith and figured out how PU mechanics worked too.

One Faith with my colonial nations was so annoying. When they weren't going bankrupt after building top level forts the game was handing them patchwork provinces they couldn't core because it randomly selected which of multiple La Platas it should hand it over to. They would never convert something they couldn't core so I just released and murdered them to make one beautiful region. Guess I should have spent the time manually assigning them through that terrible UI with 100 vassals in it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Node posted:

No kidding. If you're going on a religious war spree, the extra missionary and missionary strength don't keep up in my experience. It'd be a pretty bad idea group. You'd need to rely on triggered modifiers/national ideas that give you extra missionaries to really be able to always be above 90% religious unity. Religious should give you two missionaries, anyway.

Ironically, Humanism gives a big bonus to religious unity, so it's more effective to just take that and convert a bit more slowly

If the Deus Vult CB was just moved to say the fourth slot that might not be so bad, effectively nerfs the cheese but without actually hurting the idea group. In fact, most idea groups that offer a CB don't give it to you until you finish the entire idea group anyway, so it was always weird that Religious gives you a really good CB immediately, so I wouldn't even be mad if they made Deus Vult a capstone, too

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

When you make a country a co-belligerent, does it pull in their guarantors as well, or only their allies?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

When you make a country a co-belligerent, does it pull in their guarantors as well, or only their allies?

Guarantors get pulled in too, last I checked. Real surprising and nasty way to get Ottomans involved in a war :(

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

holy moly i wish i knew about the imperial authority bug before i started this austria run. i went from 4 to 100 in a day

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It treats it as if you declared war on the co-belligerent as well. Guarantors, trade league members, and even the HRE will get involved if applicable.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

At least the war leader doesn't chain anymore. That was one of the worst things ever. :stonk:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Poil posted:

At least the war leader doesn't chain anymore. That was one of the worst things ever. :stonk:
I only started playing the game again when that changed. It was horrific.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

oddium posted:

holy moly i wish i knew about the imperial authority bug before i started this austria run. i went from 4 to 100 in a day

Which bug is that?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
This loving vassal/protectorate bullshit is so loving amazingly garbage. Release 5 provinces of ming as a vassal (checked that the screen said vassal), they get shat out as a protectorate, and then immediately become independent.
worst thing is that I loving had it happen before in this same game and I had to savescum my way out of it then, but this time I forgot to check and so my autosaves are too old. Protectorates are just completely broken this patch.

On the plus side my wc is going better. Many thanks for the people who gave advice.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Personally I've turned off protectorates, and that's a big reason why. Just let me chose if I want a proper vassal or some lovely protectorate instead of having them be exclusive or something.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

OperaMouse posted:

Which bug is that?

Someone could correct me because I haven't tried it, but if you have a province you want to add to the HRE, if you wait for an autosave to occur, you can spam the "add province to HRE" button during the short lull while the game saves. For every successful click, your imperial authority will increase by one.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

awesmoe posted:

This loving vassal/protectorate bullshit is so loving amazingly garbage. Release 5 provinces of ming as a vassal (checked that the screen said vassal), they get shat out as a protectorate, and then immediately become independent.
worst thing is that I loving had it happen before in this same game and I had to savescum my way out of it then, but this time I forgot to check and so my autosaves are too old. Protectorates are just completely broken this patch.

On the plus side my wc is going better. Many thanks for the people who gave advice.

I think that the game is only checking a vassal's capital province for embraced institutions when displaying whether or not they'd become a vassal vs a protectorate, but if any of its inherited provinces don't have an institution embraced then the vassal as a whole won't have that institution embraced. This puts them 1 institution behind you and forces them down to protectorate status even though the menu said that they'd be a vassal. It's definitely a bug

I went to go test this by starting as Qing in the 1756 start but LOL Qing has somehow embraced Manufactories but Global Trade is at 0 progress and has not been embraced, which should be impossible

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

1570: i wonder if i can get the five personal unions with austria achievement

oh it's only three and i didn't get it when i had bavaria/bohemia/hungary

oh achievements got disabled at some point

time to start again i guess. i had savoy as a vassal who had france as a junior in a pu too aaaaaaaaaaa

Jay Rust posted:

Someone could correct me because I haven't tried it, but if you have a province you want to add to the HRE, if you wait for an autosave to occur, you can spam the "add province to HRE" button during the short lull while the game saves. For every successful click, your imperial authority will increase by one.

you gotta hold c during it as well

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Poil posted:

Starting a custom pagan country in southern France was a terrible idea. Who would've thought?

Cathars probably.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
How do you give estates territory? I cant find a guide with it.

NM found it.

Uziduke fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 18, 2017

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Uziduke posted:

How do you give estates territory? I cant find a guide with it.

Click the province, it's at the bottom of the building tab that's on the right-hand side, if it's not open click the little house tab poking out on the right.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Jay Rust posted:

Obviously it's a single player game and people can do what they want, but what's the point? Might as well either just console yourself the entire HRE or SAM whatever achievement you're cheesing, idgi

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Goddamn manufactories are good. I've built half a dozen while I've been waiting for AE to cool down and my income's gone from about +4 ducats if I'm not reinforcing to +10-12 even when I'm reinforcing. It's like magic for trade income.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Have estates changed significantly or is the general rule for assigning them still: clergy in high tax provinces, merchant's guild in COTs/river estuaries, nobility in high manpower/forts with provinces?

spectralent posted:

Goddamn manufactories are good. I've built half a dozen while I've been waiting for AE to cool down and my income's gone from about +4 ducats if I'm not reinforcing to +10-12 even when I'm reinforcing. It's like magic for trade income.

Has someone done the math for which buildings will make up for their cost over time? I know temples and workshops do. I've read that great temples and counting houses are not worth the cost by the time you get them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I had a lot of fun chasing down an AI fleet today. I discovered that the AI is allowed to ignore movement locking for fleets. Brilliant.

Can the AI also ignore fort zone of control when it feels like it?

The AI here landed in Albania or whatever the Ottoman spelling is, then marched its way to Corfu, weaving its way past two other adjacent forts in the process. I thought I had a handle on fort zones of control by now but apparently I'm still missing something, because that seems impossible to me. The AI seemed to further gently caress up after that, considering how once I placed a 32k strong army in the province opposite of corfu, they decided it was a good idea to cross the strait into the mountains to fight the army twice its size.They didn't win.

Later that session Poland took over my siege of Bessarabia despite me not being allied with Poland, and also despite giving them no opportunity to ever take over. God drat can this game be frustrating with its bullshit like that at times.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
When you come in from the sea you can move into any province bordering that sea province.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Node posted:

Have estates changed significantly or is the general rule for assigning them still: clergy in high tax provinces, merchant's guild in COTs/river estuaries, nobility in high manpower/forts with provinces?

Has someone done the math for which buildings will make up for their cost over time? I know temples and workshops do. I've read that great temples and counting houses are not worth the cost by the time you get them.

I dunno, to be honest, but it feels like they do.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

reignonyourparade posted:

When you come in from the sea you can move into any province bordering that sea province.

Then maybe they landed in Avlonya which would allow them to reach Corfu by those rules, but I seem to remember them landing in the province to its northwest, meaning this was a multi-province journey through the ZoC. I took this screenshot after they already took one move that seemed wrong and began to take another, I was pretty incredulous.

I'm just glad they decided to repent by suiciding their army shortly after.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Node posted:

Counting houses are worth it in provinces with manufactories. Great Temples almost never. If you build from the map instead of the province detail screen you can very quickly see which provinces will give you the best return.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

Obviously it's a single player game and people can do what they want, but what's the point? Might as well either just console yourself the entire HRE or SAM whatever achievement you're cheesing, idgi

It's because my brain doesn't work right and it tells me that I'm cheating if I use the console or a 3rd party program to get an achievement, but if I utilize an ingame bug to get the achievement then I'm just being clever and not at all cheating.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Since you're clearly not meant to unify the HRE in a few years exploiting extreme bugs like that is obviously cheating. Naturally it's up to you how you play and all but don't claim it's not cheating. :shrug:

Small exploits are totally fine though and you graciously have my permission to use them. :v:

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
For the Burgundy achievement, does PU'ing count? I'm allied and married to France and will be working on eating Britain then vassalizing Austria before backstabbing France.

• Locked thread