Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Call Nintendo for a replacement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Rad Valtar posted:

but gently caress off if they think I'm paying $40 for Tetris.

uhhhh 20 dollars for tetris and 20 dollars for puyo puyo, duh idiot!!!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Kirios posted:

I still really really want to play Skyrim on switch so maybe I'm broken.

What is the point given high resolution texture packs and mods on PC that aren't available elsewhere? The entire point of the game now is to look pretty and explore the same terrain and caves forever. I guess if you don't have a PC then you don't know what you're missing and it won't feel like a loss

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Got a physical copy of Issac. Can confirm the instruction booklet is a pretty neat little thing and can also confirm the cart tastes bad too

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I rescind my claim that boi runs well. As soon as you get an Azazel run with the tear burst item, it chokes SO bad. Really, really really bad.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Skyrim needs mods. If you've somehow never played it I think you could still get 20-30 hours of neat exploration out of the unmodded game before the cracks show too much and you get burned out. I don't know if that's worth sixty bucks and it definitely isn't on a console that also has Breath of the Wild.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Played 5 minutes of Skyrim SE and went back to regular w/mods, much better. However, playing through it again on the Switch is intriguing with the portability. I'd pay $40 -20% Prime discount.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Nerdrock posted:

I rescind my claim that boi runs well. As soon as you get an Azazel run with the tear burst item, it chokes SO bad. Really, really really bad.

Physical copy? Your own card? How are you playing it because I haven't noticed any problems with physical

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

How did Wii U owners get burned?
They should definitely be porting over as many Wii U titles as possible: it's an easy way to inflate the library with quality games that didn't sell as well as they could have due to the Wii U's poor sales. But it does seem like a poor idea to tell your more dedicated customers that they have to pay full price for a game they got three years ago. I dunno, the Switch seems to be doing fine so it likely won't be an issue.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

They should definitely be porting over as many Wii U titles as possible: it's an easy way to inflate the library with quality games that didn't sell as well as they could have due to the Wii U's poor sales. But it does seem like a poor idea to tell your more dedicated customers that they have to pay full price for a game they got three years ago. I dunno, the Switch seems to be doing fine so it likely won't be an issue.

Wii U ports could be a good placeholder for gaps in the release schedule for a while, if they added online multiplayer for something like Pikmin 3 I'd gladly buy it again. Don't think I'd rebuy anything else but Kart, though.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

They don't have to, if they're happy with the Wii U version they can just keep playing that.

Anything that is a straight port and not a sequel/deluxe edition shouldn't MSRP for 60 though, I'd agree with you on that.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Infinitum posted:

Calling this dude out on his bullshit.

Doing a Greed Run and hit the Womb tileset in Binding of Isaac. It's running at a silky smooth 60fps even with the large 2x1 room filled with monsters + all the pickups I have going off.

that dude might be getting that "searching for wifi" gpu bug thing that is draining fps in various games, meant to be getting fixed in the next firmware update so that fast rmx will run at 1080p/60fps

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Maybe this is old news, but man, Zelda has so much open-world-flexibility.

I was upstream with this sail raft, stuck on land. Wind was blowing upstream too. I used Ice to kind of maneuver the raft back onto the water but it wanted to go upstream because of the wind. I used Ice to accidentally flip it over (Sail in the water) and now it's just a raft I can stand on and slowly float with the current's direction instead of the wind.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Nerdrock posted:

It does that on PS4 too so I just think the effects of 8 blood tear beams with everything popping at once is too much for the engine. The game doesn't have any provisions to cut effects to keep a frame rate so it just drops frames.

I don't have it so it could be the hardware but just know it does do the same thing on PS4

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

XyrlocShammypants posted:

What is the point given high resolution texture packs and mods on PC that aren't available elsewhere? The entire point of the game now is to look pretty and explore the same terrain and caves forever. I guess if you don't have a PC then you don't know what you're missing and it won't feel like a loss

Portable.

Duh.

Edit: My pie in the sky port that I'd want is Super Mario 3D World + Treasure Tracker for 60 bucks. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How could a game with graphics that bad chug on anything?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Which Amiibos do what in Breath? Is there a chart somehwere?

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

parallelodad posted:

Indie games aren't known for their optimization.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

General Morden posted:

BOTW doesn't let you play with JP VA?

Nope, voiced dialogue is locked to the language of the text. So no mix and matching.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

parallelodad posted:

:nicalis: isn't an emote but it probably should be

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

parallelodad posted:

Programing is like hard and stuff.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
that reminds me i need to look up which challenge gives the dupe rune so i can really make this thing chug :getin:

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Physical copy? Your own card? How are you playing it because I haven't noticed any problems with physical

Physical copy, both docked and portable. Moms heart fight in greed mode is a slideshow .

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Feenix posted:

There are some mild spoilers that come along with the rewards for amiibos, some that people complained about before the game was released. They didn't bother me but it's worth thinking about since it's mainly cosmetic outfits, food and a few weapons

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Nitramster posted:

It does that on PS4 too so I just think the effects of 8 blood tear beams with everything popping at once is too much for the engine. The game doesn't have any provisions to cut effects to keep a frame rate so it just drops frames.

I don't have it so it could be the hardware but just know it does do the same thing on PS4

It does, but nowhere near the same slowdown. Isaac is the only ps4 game I have platinumed thanks to my wife's addiction.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Nephzinho posted:

Wii U ports could be a good placeholder for gaps in the release schedule for a while, if they added online multiplayer for something like Pikmin 3 I'd gladly buy it again. Don't think I'd rebuy anything else but Kart, though.

This is what the initial remaster wave started out as; filler for the release schedule until the big first party titles came out, but then people decided they really liked the remaster treatment on older games so they just kept going.

herakles
Jan 17, 2009
So, this is a suuuper long shot, but here's my E/N story:

An acquaintance of mine, a talented artist and generally good guy with lovely luck, recently experienced complete kidney failure. Complications from treating that wound up damaging his heart. So now he needs dialysis and at least one, but probably a couple of different heart surgeries, which is going to entail spending a boatload of time alone in hospitals.

He's a huge Legend of Zelda fan, so I want to buy him a Switch and Breath of the Wild. Complication: I can't find one anywhere for less than $500, I've called every local store in my area and no sign of a console in sight. And I'll be damned before I give my money to some filthy eBay scalper.

Any goons with an inside line on a new Switch at not-a-huge-ripoff pricing who can help me?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/nintendoswitch/

Check that website all the time, and set up alerts to go off when it comes in stock.

Apparently Kohl's somehow has one at the moment?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Feenix posted:

Maybe this is old news, but man, Zelda has so much open-world-flexibility.

I was upstream with this sail raft, stuck on land. Wind was blowing upstream too. I used Ice to kind of maneuver the raft back onto the water but it wanted to go upstream because of the wind. I used Ice to accidentally flip it over (Sail in the water) and now it's just a raft I can stand on and slowly float with the current's direction instead of the wind.

Next time grab something with magnet and just push it against the sail to go anywhere very fast

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

BoI goons

Bomb tear run
6FKD
CFGM

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Feenix posted:

https://imgur.com/a/QWNvr

Edit: IMO, the best ones are Smash Link (Epona is maxed out in all stats), Smash Zelda (Twilight bow shoots light arrows that don't take any ammo and shoot perfectly straight/don't have drop due to gravity - durability is also amazing), Smash Sheik, BOTW Zelda and BOTW Guardian.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 17, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

free the post

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm playing BoI in bed. Owns. :toot:

I know it's been on portables before, but the Switch version is now fully up to date and i haven't had a single issue thus far.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Wait hold up, how do you get those additional Zelda items? I have a Toon Link missing an arm I gave to my kids and Zelda festering away in some box because it's stupid. My poor purchasing decisions are finally paying off.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

They're a rare spawn when you use the appropriate Link amiibo.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Louisgod posted:

Wait hold up, how do you get those additional Zelda items? I have a Toon Link missing an arm I gave to my kids and Zelda festering away in some box because it's stupid. My poor purchasing decisions are finally paying off.

Turn on the amiibo rune in the options screen, select the amiibo rune, scan your amiibo, collect items. Repeat the last 2 steps every day until you have everything you want.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
My pie-in-the-sky remake would be Mario Sunshine (rather than putting it on VC eventually). Sunshine is in 480i in 3x4 at best, runs at 30 FPS while all other mainline Marios run at 60FPS, and could have a lot of gameplay improvements that would make it a lot less of a burden to play. Sunshine also has a lot of potential: it still looks amazingly good for a game from 2002. It would look fantastic at 1080p/60FPS docked 720p/60FPS handheld.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Turn on the amiibo rune in the options screen, select the amiibo rune, scan your amiibo, collect items. Repeat the last 2 steps every day until you have everything you want.

Oh I meant the super cool items you get from each. Is it by chance or do you get them once you scan a first time?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Louisgod posted:

Oh I meant the super cool items you get from each. Is it by chance or do you get them once you scan a first time?

It's random. So rescans are necessary to get the full set. You can speed it up by changing the clock on your Switch ahead 24 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's random. So rescans are necessary to get the full set. You can speed it up by changing the clock on your Switch ahead 24 hours.

You can also save scum. Save prior to using the amiibo, scan amiibo, open chest, then reload your save if you didn't get what you wanted.

Edit: Epona seems to be the only guaranteed thing you get on a first scan. Make sure if you scan Smash Link that you register Epona because if you don't register it, I don't think you can get it to spawn again without creating a new game.

• Locked thread