Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I got the 10 hour trial and loaded it up to take a look. First impressions... loading screen times are loving huge even for the intro. The key remapping screen sucks.. only showing 6 keys at a time, seriously? And why the hell does the character customizer do a loading thing every time I swap a preset or hairstyle for fucks sake. Did they design this garbage for consoles first and then do a PC port or something? I think I'm going back to Mass effect 2/3. Time to get a refund.

I mean seriously, 15 second loading time for the loving main menu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Utnayan posted:

And then the game... moves and animates. And you have to listen to the characters. And the God Awful story. And the lackluster combat game play, poor save mechanics, and... no need, desire, or reward, for exploring anyway.

Great screenshots though. Too bad the game sucks, playing in some of those landscapes in which if there were actual decent and fun game play elements would have been awesome.

Hoping for an Apollo DLC for Horizon. That would fill the void.

Why are you making GBS threads on his review just because you don't like it the game? If you don't like the game no more need to dogpile on it when there are plenty of other games to play.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

precision posted:

Also, genuine question, why is this thread immune to the normal rules of Games?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3810394 ?

I could not parse this to even tell you what the rules are.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
Pew diePie : Pee Bee

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Trast posted:

Why are you making GBS threads on his review just because you don't like it the game? If you don't like the game no more need to dogpile on it when there are plenty of other games to play.

He's a professional

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

precision posted:

:thejoke:

Which of these rules is being broken?

quote:

Make America Games Again

Our forums enemies are scared and spreading fake news about how bad Games is. Have you seen GBS? No wonder they are sending us refugees. We will build a wall around Games. Nobody will take our posts and we will strike the best deals to get better games for less money. We will repeal Gamestop and replace it with a much better game store.

I mean, I read Games, it’s so much anger and hatred, and just the hatred. I don’t read it anymore because it’s not very good. ... I think it should be straight. I think it should be — I think it would be frankly more interesting. I know how good everybody’s posts are right now, but I think that actually — I think that’d actually be better.

I've called up Gamestop already before I've even taken office and got us three new games! And they said it couldn't be done! SAD!

We're going to build a wall around Games. And GBS is going to pay for it! Games posters have languished too long in poverty thanks to BAD deals from other forums! We will renegotiate all these deals!

We don't need their spaceship jpegs. We're going to build our own and they will be the best jpegs ever built. We're creating the greatest spaceship game of all time and the Mexicans are gonna pay for it. It's not a publisher ban. It just predominantly targets countries with a high publisher population.

All of the women in Dragon Age flirted with me - consciously or unconsciously. That's to be expected.

Satoru Iwata is an example of somebody who’s done an amazing job and is getting recognized more and more, I notice.
Don Mattrick is a fine person, I asked for his resignation.

Tomorrow everyone's going to say I'll regret the Switch. And that- That's not- I'm not saying that today. It's hilarious actually. I'm laughing.

Well, the spec leaks are real. You’re the one that wrote about them and reported them; I mean, the spec leaks are real. You know what they said, you saw it, and the leaks are absolutely real. The news is fake because so much of the news is fake.

And now Nintendo has the dock. You know what this is, right? This is- They say it's for connecting to the TV. And Nintendo's telling us that the dock doesn't do anything else. Please. That's fake news, Nintendo. They're lying. The dishonesty, I hate it. The games are 1080p in the dock. And you're telling me that all the hardware is in the tablet? I'm the best at video games Nintendo and I'm telling you you're lying.

In this day and age, I feel like "leaks" get more attention or spread more virally than actual news. I wouldn't exactly be shocked if yesterday's unboxing due to an "early shipment" from an "undisclosed retailer" was deliberate by Nintendo. I'm not saying it was, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

And the UI? The UI is the best. It's the best. We have the best UI on the Switch. Games? Games don't matter when you have the best UI, the games will come when you have a UI this great.

I'm not going to tell you anything about what we're going to do. I'm not going to talk about exclusives stuff. I will not say, “We are going to release Metroid in four months. We are going to announce something in one month. Next week, we are going to release DLC.”

In the meantime, Metroid is very, very difficult — you know why? I don't talk about exclusives and certain other things. You were going to be surprised to hear that, by the way, my whole campaign I said that. I don't have to tell you.

And I'll meet with the 3rd party developers- I'd love to meet them. We've reached out but haven't heard back. I'll meet them and we'll discuss these issues, because I think they're a really good thing, the third party developers- Who we've reached out to but haven't heard back from. We'll meet and we'll discuss- No, no. Wait Suda, you'll get your chance to talk- We'll meet the developers and discuss the issues, if they get back to us. Which they haven't, but I hope they do soon because we reached out.

3rd Parties announced they will create 10,000 games for the Switch just this year because of our various plans and initiatives. There will be many, many more, many more, these are a few that we're naming.

Our games are diverse! I visited Depression Quest just the other day, a fabulous game and they told me how great it was to see me.

I've seen Steam Greenlight and the first thing I did in office was make it go away! No more Fake Games! SAD!

So one thing that I felt it was very important to do — and I hope we can correct it. Because there’s nobody I have more respect for — well, maybe a little bit but the reporters, good reporters.

I've heard people say- I'm not saying, but I've heard people say it- That For Honor still sucks though.

EFB lol

Futanari Rastafari
Apr 19, 2004

New Sincerity Posting

Trast posted:

Thank you for considering the feelings of the game.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

precision posted:

Cora has the same last name as The Illusive Man, and this being Bioware, there is literally zero chance that's a coincidence.

They did manage to name Morrigan that completely by accident so who knows.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Futanari Rastafari posted:

Thank you for considering the feelings of the game.

Games are people too, my friend.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Avalerion posted:

They did manage to name Morrigan that completely by accident so who knows.

The protagonists of Dragon Age 1 and 2 are cousins (if you choose a specific Origin), and it never amounts to anything.

It's also easy to imagine it being a part of Cora's personal story (Daddy issues!) rather than a broader Initiative thing.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I can also say that I liked the turian teammate, what little I got to see of her (like literally 5 minutes) and Drak (literally 5 minutes). They both had clear personalities right off the bat.

Liam seems the go-to Bro and I liked him as well

I have NO IDEA who Cora is, she doesn't say much and I'm not sure what her DEAL is

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Zzulu posted:

I can also say that I liked the turian teammate, what little I got to see of her (like literally 5 minutes) and Drak (literally 5 minutes). They both had clear personalities right off the bat.

Liam seems the go-to Bro and I liked him as well

I have NO IDEA who Cora is, she doesn't say much and I'm not sure what her DEAL is

She's just mad she's not the Pathfinder because nepotism happened.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I kind of hope so, it'd be nice with a team member who challenges Ryders poo poo a bit

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

precision posted:

Cora has the same last name as The Illusive Man, and this being Bioware, there is literally zero chance that's a coincidence.

her last name is Man?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

If my boss died and I found out he put his retarded 20 year old kid in charge of a mission where peoples' lives are at stake, I'd be loving livid too.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
it seems dumb that u can flirt with Cora when she's pissed off and she responds positively

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
During my dialogue with her I never got the sense she was pissed off with me. Maybe I missed something though, I kind of rushed through the nexus bits

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hey guys is the game good yet

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Zzulu posted:

I kind of hope so, it'd be nice with a team member who challenges Ryders poo poo a bit

Yeah I thought all the squad mates were being entirely too nice to me. Cora was the only one who even brought it up that it was kind of bullshit that you're pathfinder but she was still super polite about it.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
I just watched the flirt video so don't know the real context of the scenes but iirc she says 'don't make me laugh when I'm mad at u'?

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
I saw Andromeda's character creator taking a lot of flak early on, and while it's by no means perfect, one nice thing about it is that it allows for better looking black and asian characters than the old creator did. There's still a frustrating shortage of appropriate hairstyles for black characters, but at least the presets provide a decent spread of facial features.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mymla posted:

If my boss died and I found out he put his retarded 20 year old kid in charge of a mission where peoples' lives are at stake, I'd be loving livid too.

yea it feels like this game has one of the dumbest 'chosen one' setups yet. At least in DA:I there was this option to be the reluctant 'I never wanted this, this was forced one me' type and others in your group could go 'yea this actually is incredibly stupid that you have absolute power because of a magic brand you don't even want', but it looks like in this the thread of 'a thing happened and that makes ME the special one and the rest of you plebes my servants' never has any options but 'gently caress yea'.

It's the trust fund baby of RPG chosen one stories.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Trast posted:

Do you like the old twilight zones? I am under the assumption that most everyone finds some sort of fascination with them. I am going somewhere with this question.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

yea it feels like this game has one of the dumbest 'chosen one' setups yet. At least in DA:I there was this option to be the reluctant 'I never wanted this, this was forced one me' type and others in your group could go 'yea this actually is incredibly stupid that you have absolute power because of a magic brand you don't even want', but it looks like in this the thread of 'a thing happened and that makes ME the special one and the rest of you plebes my servants' never has any options but 'gently caress yea'.

From what I watched a number of characters seemed pissed off that the protagonist had been made pathfinder apparently just by virtue of being present when the old one died, or at least were highly skeptical about the whole thing.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Zzulu posted:

IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, the game has a lot of potential and the demo has been ~fun~

At least with that AV I can reasonably sure you're not a shill.

Can't be 100%...this is bioware we're talking about.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Gonna roleplay a snotty rich kid that looks down on the plebeian poors like Cora.

There should be a bad ending if you gently caress up too much which basically just boils down to half the crew rolling their eyes and asking each other wtf Dad Ryder was thinking as the ship crashes into a planet or something.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
One thing I've noticed is when you try to flirt with someone that isn't into whatever sex you're playing they immediately shut you down and explain that they're gay/straight. It's kinda awkward but I hope it doesn't shut off the ability to try and flirt with them in the future and that they get increasingly angry and annoyed with you.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Torment plays it both ways by giving your character a detailed backstory while still being a blank slate.

And in Pillars of Eternity you're a blank slate but then you backstory comes along and tells you that you made the wrong decisions.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The option to be doubtful about becoming Pathfinder is there, at least initially. I chose a line about not having been trained for the position.

I think the link with the AI is reasonable enough on its own, what with the familial tie and all. It's just not really clear why special AI powers and the leader position have to go hand in hand.

It doesn't help that 'pathfinder' is a lame title.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

precision posted:

:thejoke:

Thankfully, bad humor isn't against the rules. Yet atleast.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

BrianWilly posted:

I made fun of the streamers earlier in the thread for being lovely players, but...this game is actually pretty hard. It's fun and I look forward to having these encounters, but boy...I thought I'd be able to tackle this first playthrough on hardcore, and changed my mind about thirty minutes in. It's especially frustrating in the first map of the game when you haven't gotten your powers and profiles yet and are still getting used to all the new systems. Gaining three or four levels definitely starts to even out the playing field, but even so the game is still punishing and difficult to grasp for my scrub self. Because the environment is so "open world," the minute you step out of cover you're bombarded with fire from 360 degrees, and cover itself is finicky and cursory when the enemies can and will flank you at any opportunity. Enemies show up on your radar, but your radar is this one-dimensional Skyrim-compass thing that's largely useless in this three-dimensional environment. Make one mistake and you might as well just manually reload and save yourself the trouble of dying. Your squadmates are surprisingly durable to all but "boss"-tier enemies, but I've still kinda settled on jump-packing on top of tall structures and picking off enemies one by one when they try to climb up.

Definitely had this problem myself. I died a few times on Normal during the trial, usually when I decided to try playing as an ME3-style vanguard (charge-nova-melee/shotgun, repeat). Maybe that play style will be more viable with more practice or a higher level character, but toward the end I was wishing I'd tried a sniper build instead.

drink Dr Pepper actually posted:

A few pages back, but I wanted to comment on this. Whoever said the dialogue options feel like four flavors of Boy Scout seem to be right. There's one quest in particular that felt really terrible as far as choosing your tone goes.

Agreed. There have been a lot of comments about the mediocrity of the NPC dialogue, and a lot debating their decision to dump the Paragon/Renegade system, but fewer on the new dialogue wheel. I found it very disappointing. The Emotional/Logical/Casual/Professional tones didn't feel all that distinct at times. Maybe seeing the options play out would change my mind -- I didn't have time to actually run through and see how different they actually were. But in the moment, I frequently found myself shrugging and thinking "Sure, whatever, this one I guess." Second, it felt like a majority of those dialogue choices only gave you two tone options anyway!

I remember some interview or preview comparing them, saying like "Logical is the Spock option" and "Emotional is the Sisko option" and "Casual is the Kirk option" or whatever, but it felt more like very mild inflections on Ryder's existing personality instead. It didn't really feel like I was having much impact in making choices OR in shaping Ryder's personality. In comparison to DAI, which is probably the most direct comparison, it was disappointing.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

Funky See Funky Do posted:

One thing I've noticed is when you try to flirt with someone that isn't into whatever sex you're playing they immediately shut you down and explain that they're gay/straight. It's kinda awkward but I hope it doesn't shut off the ability to try and flirt with them in the future and that they get increasingly angry and annoyed with you.

scott Ryder barely says sumthin weakly sexual to Liam but Liam instantly know Ryder is after that d

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Joining late to the party but Jesus Christ I still can't believe that "sorry my face is tired from dealing with everything" was committed to paper, let alone ok'd by an editor then read as actual dialog.

It's like a line of genuine English dialog translated into Chinese then back into English in some weird bootleg DVD. There's bad dialog but that is loving next level awful akin to a high schooler's first play.

I know everyone's justifying it with "well there have always been bad lines of dialog in Mass Effect" and yeah, there have been. But I cannot for the life of me think of anything that genuinely made me go "these words just do not make sense how could anyone think they would go together".

That said I liked ME 1, 2 and 3 (despite 3's garbage fire of an ending and poo poo Citadel DLC that I swear I'm the only one that found it's try-hard Whedon-Firefly dialog to be abysmal) and am still hoping this is going to be good.

Also dismayed to hear that loving mining is back. Holy poo poo just gently caress off with that, just make it an automatic time thing or something where you just go "strip mine this piece of poo poo" and then an hour later you get the resources. The only people who fondly remember the Make or Christ forbid ME2 are loving Dustin Hoffman in Rainman.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I had a similar issue with the difficulty to begin with, but after reaching level 4 or 5 or whatever I was when I left the Nexus, and getting my Vanguard Profile, I was wrecking poo poo every which a where with just Vanguard Charge, punching, and the Disciple.

To put it in context, I got into a punch contest with the mini gun duder. He could not hurt me more than I could heal myself by punching him, so I would just out pace him and punch him to death.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Varam posted:

The option to be doubtful about becoming Pathfinder is there, at least initially. I chose a line about not having been trained for the position.

I think the link with the AI is reasonable enough on its own, what with the familial tie and all. It's just not really clear why special AI powers and the leader position have to go hand in hand.

It doesn't help that 'pathfinder' is a lame title.

Mostly the latter, my only problem with Pathfinder comes from when my Ryder corrected that one lady flippantly without any of my input. When if been playing my character as someone who's like no you are totally right I shouldn't be the Pathfinder

Varam posted:

I saw Andromeda's character creator taking a lot of flak early on, and while it's by no means perfect, one nice thing about it is that it allows for better looking black and asian characters than the old creator did. There's still a frustrating shortage of appropriate hairstyles for black characters, but at least the presets provide a decent spread of facial features.

Honestly the only good characters I've seen come out of the character creator have been minorities. Which is nice.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

escalator dropdown posted:

Definitely had this problem myself. I died a few times on Normal during the trial, usually when I decided to try playing as an ME3-style vanguard (charge-nova-melee/shotgun, repeat). Maybe that play style will be more viable with more practice or a higher level character, but toward the end I was wishing I'd tried a sniper build instead.

Agreed. There have been a lot of comments about the mediocrity of the NPC dialogue, and a lot debating their decision to dump the Paragon/Renegade system, but fewer on the new dialogue wheel. I found it very disappointing. The Emotional/Logical/Casual/Professional tones didn't feel all that distinct at times. Maybe seeing the options play out would change my mind -- I didn't have time to actually run through and see how different they actually were. But in the moment, I frequently found myself shrugging and thinking "Sure, whatever, this one I guess." Second, it felt like a majority of those dialogue choices only gave you two tone options anyway!

I remember some interview or preview comparing them, saying like "Logical is the Spock option" and "Emotional is the Sisko option" and "Casual is the Kirk option" or whatever, but it felt more like very mild inflections on Ryder's existing personality instead. It didn't really feel like I was having much impact in making choices OR in shaping Ryder's personality. In comparison to DAI, which is probably the most direct comparison, it was disappointing.

Assault rifles feel a bit weak on normal but even the starter sniper rifle seemed pretty brutally powerful.

I wonder if ARs get significantly better as you level the passive skill and/or find better guns and mods. I hope so because I'm a simpleton and always play with assault rifles.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I played Scott Ryder as first and foremost going "Woah Cora are you cool with this? This is not according to protocol one bit" and that made the whole thing flow better imo. :shrug:

Ainsley McTree posted:

Assault rifles feel a bit weak on normal but even the starter sniper rifle seemed pretty brutally powerful.

I wonder if ARs get significantly better as you level the passive skill and/or find better guns and mods. I hope so because I'm a simpleton and always play with assault rifles.

Sniper Rifles seem to dominate in MP as well.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I unlocked a Krogan Vanguard out of my first free box, so I have more melee kills than kills with weapons. Now that I'm thinking about it, this game seems to be doing everything it can to make me like it despite its significant flaws. I looted a Mattock from one of my very first containers in SP also. It doesn't sound right though, it's just so loving perfect in ME2.

If anyone on PC is having issues with loading times, make sure you have it installed to the SSD. If you don't have an SSD, take me with you back to 2005, I want to secure a good job before the economy blows up.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 18, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah sniper rifles in mp can reasonably take out the turrets of a Remnant Destroyer in a shot of two whereas the best guns I can get in other categories take multiple mag dumps to dent the shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Ainsley McTree posted:

Agreed w/r/t the Avenger, but the Mattock carves things up nicely.