Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

That sounds like a good book, I should read it
it's very good. theres a lady who's sexy as gently caress so she floats int o space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Scott Sigler fans?

My book club is reading Alive, the first of his latest trilogy.

I'm halfway through and nothing has happened yet and I'm questioning all its 5 star reviews.

pepperoni and keys
Sep 7, 2011

I think about food literally all day every day. It's a thing.

Avshalom posted:

in my entire life i have only read one book, gabriel garcia marquez's fatalistic epic one hundred years of solitude. i first read it in kindergarten and have re-read it several hundred times in the decades hence. i know it off by heart in both english and spanish. my life is slowly transforming to fit the book's ideals. i am trapped in a hell of my own devising and i see no way out but i would rather be ensnared in garcia marquez's universe than any of the warhammer bullshit or frilly elf fiascos or japanese light novels about loving expensive designer household appliances with the face of blushing toddlers that the nerds in this sub-forum are into. i will kill each and every one of you

I found this review of it on Goodreads that I thought you would like

Goodreads posted:

WARNINGS WARNINGS
I don't recommend this book if you feel uncomfortable with books that depict graphically

* Pedophilia/rape (view spoiler)
* Incest/child abuse (view spoiler)
* Non sensical Violence (view spoiler)
*Prostitution
* Cheating
* Bestiality
* Women treated as objects sometimes by their own parents

If you like me grew up reading marvelous books like Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, Twilight, The Hunger games, which are all extremely strong in terms of characterization and character development and which are at times trashed by the same critics that praised this piece of cr%p, I doubt you'll enjoy this book because:

* No plot, everything is a messy mix of twisted, and I mean TWISTED, disturbing, cringe-inducing family anecdotes
*No character development.
* Poor character presentation. Other than I know that Amarantha is somehow fierce it's difficult to describe the rest of the characters personalities. What are their goals? What do they want? What do they fear? Who are they? What are their motivations?
* Poor worldbuilding. Am I supposed to know how Macondo, the setting of this book looks like? All I know is that Macondo founders were trying to reach the sea and they couldn't and were tired of travelling so I know there's no sea close to this town. The rules of this world don't seem to follow a logic, either. It's like Garcia Marques just smoke weed and added whatever he saw when he was under the effects of the weed to add magical elements here and there. I rarely notice worldbuilding issues in my reads because I have a strong imagination. Even books that don't describe the rules of their worlds or the setting properly don't turn me off, but since this book is universally praised as a "master piece" I was expecting more.
* No coherent timeline, Little to No dialogue
* Author breaking the rule of show don't tell 98% of the book

I should have tried to convince my professor to change this assigment. I should've told him that this kind of topics are potential PTSD triggers for me (which is 100% true, although usually books don't activate triggers for me, certain kind of music and smells are triggering for me) or that they are against my religious beliefs (that'd been a lie, but I wish I had lied) Maybe it wouldn't have worked and still I'd been stuck to read this horrible book, but these professors should be more responsible when assigining this kind of disturbing readings and forcing people to read them taking away our sacred right of DNF a book we don't enjoy .

I'm aware that the author won a Nobel Prize, but it seems to me that it was more like the academy thought it'd be rebellious and edgy to give an award to this author leaving other more talented authors out, therefore steering controversy. Sort of like they did when they gaveBob Dylan the Nobel Prize even if he's a songwriter and poet more than a book writer.

I don't even know who is supposed to enjoy this book. I think that some Hispanic readers might find something good in this book because it seems to me that the author at times was talking about Colombian/Hispanic political issues in a metaphoric way, but honestly there wasn't enough of that.

Also, the opening line of this book is supposedly matter of study in English literature courses around the world

'Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.'

I can see why some readers might find that intriguing and get hooked from there, but I read a lot of books with great opening lines/paragraphs in commercial literature. Angefall by Susan EE, Divergent by Veronica Roth, Maze Runner by James Dashner have strong opening lines that get you hooked. I think every reader gets hooked by different opening lines, so why critics and scholars think this opening line is better than any is beyond me. However, I'll say that the ending scene was strong and extremely disturbing. It's a scene that will make you feel haunted and in search of a happy reading because (view spoiler)

I'm only writing this because I need to organize my ideas for my essay. I doubt that writing my honest opinion about this trash will earn me a good mark, so I'm trying to find an angle to write about. Maybe I can write about the role of women in Garcia's books. The other Garcia's book I read was Chronicle of a foretold death which was thankfully short and somehow realistic, but still 100% misogynist. An oudated view of women is common in this author's writings.
My recommendations if you are forced to read this author:

* Write notes for each time a new Buendia appears. There are at least a dozen characters sharing almost the exact name and that is confusing
* Don't expect character development, don't expect world building
* Don't expect brilliant dialogue, although you can expect beautiful monologues
* Expect a lot of info-dumping and exposition
* Expect a lot of magical elements, but not the kind of magic that makes you want to live in this world.
* Expect a lot of misogynism It's like the author comes from ancient times or the Taliban and his views on women are very outdated. As a demi-feminist some scenes were hard to stomach.
* Keep an enjoyable read at hand because sometimes you're tired of this world and you want to get out of it by reading something good.

Long story short, this book is way Overrated. Overrated doesn't cover it. I think the author, may he rest in peace, might have written it under the effects of the weed.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

what the gently caress is up with this supposed nobel literature not even having decent world building

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
This opening sentence is good, but it's no Maze Runner

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Uhhh is demi-feminism what it sounds like?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's very good. theres a lady who's sexy as gently caress so she floats int o space

I'm reading Invisible Cities atm but that's short so maybe I'll read it next.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Powaqoatse posted:

Uhhh is demi-feminism what it sounds like?

She's a demi-god who happens to be a feminist, what else could it be?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

pepperoni and keys posted:

I found this review of it on Goodreads that I thought you would like

college freshmen shouldnt be allowed to speak

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Franchescanado posted:

She's a demi-god who happens to be a feminist, what else could it be?

I hope it's that, cause all other options are worse.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

also if you check that girl's user page you can see she's ranked #5 best reviewer on goodreads

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Powaqoatse posted:

I hope it's that, cause all other options are worse.

Google results are pointing to Demi Levato feminism?

I don't loving know.

also if you check that girl's user page you can see she's ranked #5 best reviewer on goodreads

Her name is Veronica hates cheating/disloyal heros in "Romance" books, and she is the #5 best reviewer in Australia

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 17, 2017

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I mean by the classical definitions of the demi- prefix she's either a feminist half the time or she's a lesser feminist.

Actually, I guess the former is included in the latter.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Or only one half of her is feminist, e.g. the bottom half or the left half.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

I'm hemidemisemi-feminist and semihemidemisemi-Cherokee.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

less laughter posted:

Or only one half of her is feminist, e.g. the bottom half or the left half.

there is no feminism south of the equator

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ras Het posted:

there is no feminism south of the equator

heyoooo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

quote:

I feel like a mental midget in trying to explain my feelings about this book. I struggle to understand why it is considered such a classic piece of literature. Am I jaded by my own time? Have I heard too often the world "lolita" used in modern contexts to refer to young girls who are attractive to adult men who should know better? I had to delve into some literary criticism in order to help me understand, and I think what Lolita tries to do is tell a disguting story about a disgusting man using beautiful language. I think it also speaks to our modern day inclination to want to explain ourselves, as if we could absolve ourselves from the horrors of the crimes we commit if it is understood why we did it. Listening to the audiobook, although fabulously read by Jeremy Irons, probably meant that the language was lost on me for the most part. Instead I was left with the story of this self-described monster who destroys a child's life and feels remorse only at losing her. Perhaps revolutionary in its storytelling at the time it was published, but too gross to read today.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I guess there's something to be said for understanding what a book is saying, even if you don't understand that you understood it?

There's plenty worse messages to take from Lolita you know?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The people who post very long earnest reviews on goodreads about how they couldn't relate to characters from seminal works of literature, are cool

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Powaqoatse posted:

I guess there's something to be said for understanding what a book is saying, even if you don't understand that you understood it?

There's plenty worse messages to take from Lolita you know?

She reads like a case study in the perils of internet driven self-education. Why should she listen to her dumb professor? He isn't even ranked on Goodreads at all!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

But it's disturbing that professors can force you to read books and take away our sacred right to DNF

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

A human heart posted:

The people who post very long earnest reviews on goodreads about how they couldn't relate to characters from seminal works of literature, are cool

This one is my favorite:

quote:

Jacqueline rated it 1/5 stars

I don't get it - each new page is just Marco Polo talking about made up cities that he "traveled" to.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

She reads like a case study in the perils of internet driven self-education. Why should she listen to her dumb professor? He isn't even ranked on Goodreads at all!

My weakness is assuming people like this are 12 years old & that they will eventually grow up.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

what the ffUCk

e: this is in:re the goodreads Calvino own

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

This one is my favorite:

oh come on, this gotta be trolling

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

she has got to be some kinda toblerone triangular-style deep troll on goodreads, shes too perfectly hitting all buttons

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The Book Barn > General TBB Chat/questions thread - ongoing chat about some rando goodreads troll!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

chernobyl kinsman posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The Book Barn > General TBB Chat/questions thread - ongoing chat about some rando goodreads troll!

well what do you want this thread to be about instead?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

fridge corn posted:

Aquarium by David Vann

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The Metamorphosis, by Franz Kafka

I thought the way Gregors dad treated him was very mean and unfair. I think if I turned into a monstrosity, my dad wouldn't be so mean. Maybe he would, but I don't think he would. His mother and sister were okay I guess, but they could have supported him more.

It's a very bad story because nobody wants to help Gregor. They all think its his own fault and thats really dumb. Obviously he didn't turn into a monstrosity on purpose.

Franz Kafka is a horrible man and I hope he goes to jail for writing this story very recently and still being alive to be punished for doing so.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

"Relentless and heartbreaking, primal and redemptive"

This sounds like peak emotional novel and really not my style as I like to read for escapism purposes. :(

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yeah agreed, thats a great book

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

StrixNebulosa posted:

"Relentless and heartbreaking, primal and redemptive"

This sounds like peak emotional novel and really not my style as I like to read for escapism purposes. :(

It's a short-ish but very hard & intense read. There's a really rough part in the last half, but there's catharsis and a sense of serenity (i lack the vocabulary) when you're through.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Powaqoatse posted:

The Metamorphosis, by Franz Kafka

I thought the way Gregors dad treated him was very mean and unfair. I think if I turned into a monstrosity, my dad wouldn't be so mean. Maybe he would, but I don't think he would. His mother and sister were okay I guess, but they could have supported him more.

It's a very bad story because nobody wants to help Gregor. They all think its his own fault and thats really dumb. Obviously he didn't turn into a monstrosity on purpose.

Franz Kafka is a horrible man and I hope he goes to jail for writing this story very recently and still being alive to be punished for doing so.

These are all just opinions from this forum

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

A human heart posted:

These are all just opinions from this forum

no its my original sonic the book report do not steal

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Man the crazier posts in this thread keep making me think it's CSPAM and posting here lol

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 18, 2017

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
lf but for books

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Enfys posted:

what the gently caress is up with this supposed nobel literature not even having decent world building

I still think it's kinda weird that the Malazan books are so hyped by goons because they employ in medias res.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Alhazred posted:

I still think it's kinda weird that the Malazan books are so hyped by goons because they employ in medias res.

Do they? To have a middle you have to have an end