Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

New pilot season on Amazon.

http://collider.com/amazon-pilot-reviews-ranked-oasis-legend-of-master-legend/

As if Amazon's content discovery wasn't crap enough, they had to name one of their shows the same name as their most recent Kindle and a band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why would Amy Sherman create a new show for Amazon and not continue with Netflix

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

get that OUT of my face posted:

I hate how half the articles on AV Club have just been "TRUMP BAD" since the middle of last year.

Well since Trump thinks he lives in an episode of 24 where the president can enlist foreign intelligence agencies to spy on political candidates it's kind of on point?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mu Zeta posted:

Why would Amy Sherman create a new show for Amazon and not continue with Netflix

All they want from her is more Gilmore Girls and she desperately wants to do something else.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arist posted:

It's not good. But it's not quite as bad as you're assuming. Mostly just kinda boring so far.

The most notable feature is how incredibly boring and bland most of the actors are.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I wonder if there were different show runners or if the characters are just too out there that the Netflix Marvel series quality and acclaim is so varied.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They all have different showrunners. Iron Fist is the dude who did the last few seasons of Dexter.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I was thinking "so when is season 2 of Aquarius ever gonna start?" but as it turns out, it already happened and I never saw any ads for it on Hulu despite having watched season 1 on Hulu.

:(

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Escobarbarian posted:

They all have different showrunners. Iron Fist is the dude who did the last few seasons of Dexter.

He's also the guy in charge of The Defenders.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Timby posted:

He's also the guy in charge of The Defenders.

No, he's doing Inhumans I thought.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arist posted:

No, he's doing Inhumans I thought.

Oh, right. I knew it was some other big Marvel team project.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

By the way, Review is back on for its three-episode final season. It's still hilarious pitch-black comedy.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I finished Iron Fist. I was pretty forgiving and it's still like a C+ at absolute best. The worst thing about it is that it made me curious to see a good version of Iron Fist, which will in all likelihood never happen.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
So I'm only ten minutes into The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel but this is entirely my poo poo so far.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
DP, what shows from the past few years have you really disliked? Just wondering. I know what you like (everything) but not what you dislike really.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Arist posted:

I finished Iron Fist. I was pretty forgiving and it's still like a C+ at absolute best. The worst thing about it is that it made me curious to see a good version of Iron Fist, which will in all likelihood never happen.

I'll say again: I will not be surprised if Scott Buck is out on his rear end if/when Marvel announces Iron Fist Season 2.

I'm not counting on it. But I won't be surprised.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Arist posted:

Probably can make a good Iron Fist show if you recast Danny and get a not poo poo showrunner and hire the stunt coordinators from The Raid movies.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

get that OUT of my face posted:

By the way, Review is back on for its three-episode final season. It's still hilarious pitch-black comedy.

I was so excited to see it was coming back but I'm seriously bummed that it's only 3 episodes :( Great 1st episode yesterday, though.

e: holy poo poo, the Iron Fist chat made me realize I never actually got around to watching Luke Cage. I should probably get on that this weekend...

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 18, 2017

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Or you could spend the time watching a better show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm glad Iron Fist isn't an asian guy because somoene would have blamed the show being boring based on the minority actor

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Eezee posted:

Or you could spend the time watching a better show.

Not good? :(

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Netflix announced that they're replacing their five star rating system with a simple thumbs-up/thumbs-down system, all those hours you spent meticulously deciding whether a movie was worth four stars or five are now dust in the wind.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Luke Cage, much like Iron Fist, is fine. Honestly parts of it are more aggressively bad than IF and I still came out of that show positive.

Also I feel like just about everything I like about IF can be tied back to Colleen Wing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Guy Mann posted:

Netflix announced that they're replacing their five star rating system with a simple thumbs-up/thumbs-down system, all those hours you spend meticulously deciding whether a movie was worth four stars or five is now dust in the wind.

You joke but a few years ago I literally did just that because my sister was using my account for her kids and everything recommended was kids shows and I was terrified someone would see my list and think I was a creep.

Of course it was hypocritical because I'd previously spent an hour on my friend who left himself logged on going through and rating any LGBT show or movie 5 stars for him.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Escobarbarian posted:

DP, what shows from the past few years have you really disliked? Just wondering. I know what you like (everything) but not what you dislike really.

As far as what I REALLY dislike? Not much, I'm afraid: you gotta work to really piss me off. I couldn't make it 15 minutes through Pacific Heat, for instance. I've also grown to hate Tosh.0 if that counts.

If you expand the scope to shows I just don't give a poo poo about, then you start seeing some surprises, like Orange is the New Black and Game of Thrones. Also on this list is The Walking Dead, though I contend that first season was Good poo poo and I probably would've stayed with it for at least a little while longer if AMC didn't gently caress over Frank Darabont.

Technically Crazyhead and The Get Down are also on this list, but those are more like shows that I haven't bothered to push forward on despite seeing a lot of potential in their pilots.

If you don't mind me going waaaaay back, there was a rejected USA pilot that the network burned off a long time ago called To Love and Die, starring Shiri Appleby and Tim Matheson. It's about a young single woman who wants to follow in her hitman father's footsteps and is, to this day, the worst goddamn thing I've ever seen on television. I dare you to find it on BitTorrent. If you do, I dare you to find it worth the effort.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You should watch more of The Get Down.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Arist posted:

Luke Cage, much like Iron Fist, is fine. Honestly parts of it are more aggressively bad than IF and I still came out of that show positive.

Also I feel like just about everything I like about IF can be tied back to Colleen Wing.

I'm about half way through Ferrous Clenched Hand and I'm honestly not seeing where its bad. It suffers the same problem as the rest of the non-movie Marvel properties: Its not a big budget Marvel movie, and that's it. Cage was a modern blaxploitation story that, honestly, went on a bit too long but it was like 2 comic arcs intermixed. IF probably suffers the same problem (who cares about this dumb as poo poo industrial chemical scandal subplot), but its essentially a modern take on a Shaw Bros movie, with all of the baggage that entails (being a remake/reboot of that genre).

All that said, Colleen Wing is adorable and really, really good.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I don't think anyone genuinely likes Tosh.0 anymore. It was a funny internet clip show before, but now you see funnier stuff on Facebook or Twitter or Chive or a million other outlets. They've tried to turn it into more of a sketch show and half the videos I can't watch because they're disgusting and not funny. Yay anther giant puss filled zit being popped!

I do like Daniel Tosh's original comedy CD so I wonder what he'll be like after the show is cancelled in 2025.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Coffeehitler posted:

I'm about half way through Ferrous Clenched Hand and I'm honestly not seeing where its bad.

I've not seen it yet but the reviews from people I'm seeing are that it's fine but it's not what people were hyped about coming into the series. It's not a mystical Kung-fu show which is what people were expecting. It's just another more grounded Netflix series. Sounds to me like it's a victim of expectations. Although last time a Marvel Netflix show used mystical ninjas people bitched about it so who knows if that's really what people wanted.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Iron Fist reviews never actually said bad.

But that was the message everyone got so now everyone comes out thinking "Hey, this isn't terrible" instead.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It's somewhat amusing that those reviews might have actually ended up saving the perception of the show just due to people wrongly setting their bars to the lowest possible rung in response.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm kind of hoping Review really ramps things up in the next episode because while the first one was good it was kind of a normal episode. Which seems kind of a waste when they only have the three.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

It's much too long for the content so it runs out of steam halfway through the season.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Do we not have a thread for Baskets or Review? Both episodes last night were incredible.

Louie Anderson is the single best casting choice of the decade and Andy Daley is a treasure.

Edit: Forrest's dream :smith:

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 18, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Eezee posted:

It's much too long for the content so it runs out of steam halfway through the season.

This isn't actually true at all. They seem like they had a concrete plan for the second half of the season, it's just kind of a misfire.

Plus, while the first half is certainly a lot more charming I'd argue it suffers from a lot of the same issues.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SLOSifl posted:

Do we not have a thread for Baskets or Review? Both episodes last night were incredible.

Louie Anderson is the single best casting choice of the decade and Andy Daley is a treasure.

Edit: Forrest's dream :smith:

Oh man, thanks for reminding me I still need to watch season 2 of Baskets. drat that show is aces

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Yeah so you're definitely going to have to get on The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, like, ASAP. When your main character is an aspiring stand-up in 1958 and you put her in the back of a cop car with Lenny Motherfucking Bruce after her climactic performance, you are putting your massive loving balls right on the table for anyone to smash. Luckily for ASP, she can write her rear end off, and Rachel Brosnahan, perhaps like Sutton Foster and Lauren Graham before her, can act the gently caress out of it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

"Sutton Foster" and "acting" should never be in the same sentence. Still looking forward to the show.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

precision posted:

Oh man, thanks for reminding me I still need to watch season 2 of Baskets. drat that show is aces
Season 2 is great. I think every character is legitimately likable at this point. It's an amazing character study.

Next week is the season finale, so now is a great time to get caught up.

Christine Baskets' arc toward the end of the season is like a warm blanket and a cold pillow.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

Arist posted:

This isn't actually true at all. They seem like they had a concrete plan for the second half of the season, it's just kind of a misfire.

Plus, while the first half is certainly a lot more charming I'd argue it suffers from a lot of the same issues.

I thought the first half was fine. Not great, but fun enough. I was extremely bored by the second half however. I finished the first half in 2 days and the second half took me Moor than a month and I only finished it because I hope that season 2 is gonna be better. I really think they should have done 8 episodes and fleshed out the first half a bit more. Having to fill 12 episodes really hurt that show in my opinion.

• Locked thread