Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so last night I was invited after work to go visit this IT company place I am applying for a job as BA.. and holy gently caress.

so ok now I am putting all my efforts into getting out of pharmacy into this. I did want to open a pharmacy but a chat to the bank was a decent reality check, and then seeing what this place was like.. I don't know how realistic my goal of being a BA is but now I want to put all my extra time into somehow moving into this field..

regardless.. its my wifes friend who has suggested I go for this job... apparently she thinks I have a lot to offer, and she said that so far none of the applicants have impressed the hiring people.

so now I just need my poo poo to own.. its a BA role and i have NO BA experience but it's created software for health professionals so I am hoping my personality and "clinical" experience will give me an edge..

first - get the interview.. second - get a fuckin huge grasp on what a BA does, and agile development, user stories and poo poo is. this is all very new to me. gently caress.. who knows. aim for the stars maybe. i wouldnt even care if thre pay wasnt that flash tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

misses phone screen

"hold up. this guys good"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

so last night I was invited after work to go visit this IT company place I am applying for a job as BA.. and holy gently caress.

so ok now I am putting all my efforts into getting out of pharmacy into this. I did want to open a pharmacy but a chat to the bank was a decent reality check, and then seeing what this place was like.. I don't know how realistic my goal of being a BA is but now I want to put all my extra time into somehow moving into this field..

regardless.. its my wifes friend who has suggested I go for this job... apparently she thinks I have a lot to offer, and she said that so far none of the applicants have impressed the hiring people.

so now I just need my poo poo to own.. its a BA role and i have NO BA experience but it's created software for health professionals so I am hoping my personality and "clinical" experience will give me an edge..

first - get the interview.. second - get a fuckin huge grasp on what a BA does, and agile development, user stories and poo poo is. this is all very new to me. gently caress.. who knows. aim for the stars maybe. i wouldnt even care if thre pay wasnt that flash tbh

BAs don't do anything, you'll be fine mate

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

echinopsis posted:

this isn't your en thread FYI

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
just did a performance review, boss sucked my dick about what an exceptional employee is and i got an "exceeds" overall but my bonus is 5% and my raise 3%. gently caress this place

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

echinopsis posted:

"well, he was terrible in bed so he's probably really good with computers"

sorry, I just had to it. you're alright m8

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mishaq posted:

BAs don't do anything, you'll be fine mate

nice

Sapozhnik posted:

"well, he was terrible in bed so he's probably really good with computers"

sorry, I just had to it. you're alright m8

:D

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

let me guess: 3rd party recruiter was going to do a screen, but the client saw you in the resume stack and wanted to bring you in making it moot?

nah this was supposed to be the first call with the hiring manager, but he's seen my portfolio and knows the team I used to work on also it's a contract gig so if they hate me they can get rid of me without too much hassle

slightly lame if I end up staying in finance but w/e the figgies are legit

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Today's on-site trip report:

I think one of the five interviewers was a goon. :ninja:

Felt like it went pretty well. They seem to be working on some cool stuff. Everyone seemed genuinely happy. Functional language on the back-end is a plus. Also I didn't feel the overwhelming sense that they're going to a miss paycheck like I'm getting at my current place

i was and i have to say that i was disappointed by your dumb answers but my biggest concern is your body odor. i would go to the doctor because healthy people dont smell like that

ps: you had spinach stuck between your teeth

poty
Jun 21, 2008

in real news i didnt get the official agency job i applied for back in june and inteviewed for in november (holy lead times batman)

im number 7 in the waitlist so i might still get called if people reject their offers or additional vacancies open within the next year.

i heard what the salary is like and im pretty sure i wouldnt change jobs but still i dont like having been passed up

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe

poty posted:

i was and i have to say that i was disappointed by your dumb answers but my biggest concern is your body odor. i would go to the doctor because healthy people dont smell like that

ps: you had spinach stuck between your teeth

:staredog: doxx'd

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Twerk from Home posted:

just did a performance review, boss sucked my dick about what an exceptional employee is and i got an "exceeds" overall but my bonus is 5% and my raise 3%. gently caress this place

I hope you made it clear that you are extremely unhappy with this result

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
^ Yep, tell them you want him to go back to whoever and ask for a bigger bump. Cite median salary or whatever you want to back it up. Tell them how disappointed you are that it is simply a Cost of Living bump.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
anyway so on my resume i'm not sure how worthwhile or pointful it is to try to show them that despite never having worked in IT i have a fairly broad and decent understanding on computing and whether or not that is something that would benefit me?? coz j have no experience in the role itself

regardless bit entirely sure how to say "i don't know gently caress all about being a BA but my experience makes me unique and i am highly adaptable"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

I hope you made it clear that you are extremely unhappy with this result

no one in my industry in this country has had a raise in like 5 years

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
and now you're looking to leave :)

You're doing the right thing. Aim high, interview often.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Rudest Buddhist posted:

^ Yep, tell them you want him to go back to whoever and ask for a bigger bump. Cite median salary or whatever you want to back it up. Tell them how disappointed you are that it is simply a Cost of Living bump.

"am i not more valuable to this company than last year?"

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Rudest Buddhist posted:

reminder: http://www.boomertechnologygroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/2017SalaryGuide_Tech.pdf

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe

Seems about right, I like Page 31.

New Thread Title "55% of CIOs are concerned about being able to retain their current staff members"

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

echinopsis posted:

agile is just a way to micromanage teams of low performers. cheers

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
agile is also a way to handhold bad managers into having to pick and choose priorities instead of promising the world and getting angry at subordinates for not delivering

it's got more positives than negatives

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Chill Callahan posted:

agile is just a way to micromanage teams of low performers. cheers

lol

poty
Jun 21, 2008

anyone can be a ba. being successful involves

1. common sense
2. self-confidence to say it out loud when you dont understand something
3. quick learning
4. badgering the gently caress out of developers

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
what is a ba

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

qirex posted:

job hunt status: yesterday I missed a call from a guy who was going to phone screen me, instead of rescheduling or telling me to gently caress off they're bringing me in for an in-person interview

is this what failing upwards feels like?

means they thirsty af

poty
Jun 21, 2008

its short for bae which stands for business analyst for the enterprise

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

echinopsis posted:

in most places the ba gathers and defines requirements and then puts it into a language that the programmers can understand. since you've already done a bunch of your own beep boop computer stuff AND you know your way around the industry you should be a shoe-in.

semi-unrelated but not really: i love how pop-culture poo poo talks white collar work so everyone is left with an impression that it's horrible but when they get an actual glimpse of the inside they're all :pwn:

white collar work owns. welcome to the club

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNuu9CpdjIo

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Rex-Goliath posted:

in most places the ba gathers and defines requirements and then puts it into a language that the programmers can understand. since you've already done a bunch of your own beep boop computer stuff AND you know your way around the industry you should be a shoe-in.

and in some places they just poo poo out a deliverable's requirements all over a friggin million-tab excel file, and in a completely different format for every single deliverable. :toot:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

agile is good for bad places

and bad for good places

makes u think

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

poty posted:

its short for bae which stands for business analyst for the enterprise

ah, thank

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Elephants.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i beliebe in u

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Well you clicked, didn't you?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

hello jamestopher

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

tell him to show you the money!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I got a call on my office phone yesterday from a recruiter. I told them if they were dumb enough to call me on my office phone while I am at work, they were too dumb for me to want to work with.

How stupid do you have to be to try and pull poo poo like that?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

lol, maybe its you

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
[sparklytext]never speak to third party recruiters[/sparklytext]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
do we really have such a glut of petite bourgeois chads that recruiting is all they have?

• Locked thread