Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

NancyPants posted:

Hello thread!

I have finally learned how to double knit and that you can two it two handed, English+Continental Fair Isle style! This is because I refuse to follow instructions and everyone who insists that something must be difficult just hasn't found the easiest way to do it (and because picking up the yarn every stitch makes me want to kill myself). Does anyone else do it this way?

For some reason, so far my purl stitch has to be the Continental and my knit stitch has to be English, though. The other way around results in this weird striation present in these first two to three stitches. It's a little hard to see but it's really noticeable if I continue on like that through the whole row. I'm still bringing both yarns to front and back.

One thing I noted about double knitting is that there seems to be a stitch wrapping component similar to linen stitch. I wonder if I'm not properly covering up something with a Continental knit and English purl.

Ah, my jam.

I absolutely cannot do English style because I can't hold onto the yarn and do the stitch at the same time. I've tried and tried and eventually decided that if something makes you want to kill yourself you shouldn't do it anymore, so I had to work out how to hold both yarns in my left hand.

So I can't really give advice on how to do English with double knitting, but I can see something's funky with your purl stitch. There shouldn't be a wrap of any kind in front of the knit stitches. Are you sure you're really bringing both forward and not crossing them at all?

I found a video on how to do it two handed for comparison. Kind of blurry but it might show you what's going wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7EPogH6M-w

Couple of my recent projects:

A One Ring scarf from this pattern on Ravelry.

It's about twice as long now and I still have 3 pages to go. It got so heavy I had to bind it off so I could leave it at home while I work on the next section. Someday I'll do one in sock weight yarn.

And a pair of double knit bed booties as a Christmas present:

This was a really cool project because I couldn't find a pattern for it so I had to combine a lot of stuff I'd learned to figure it out. I'd like to write up a full pattern for it sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

keyboard vomit posted:

I have discovered brioche stitch and now I need to make stylish everything with it.

Steven West has been on a wild and crazy brioche kick for some time now. Wouldn't call his stuff classy, but the patterns are well written and could likely be classed up by yarn choice and styling.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Croisquessein posted:

Ah, my jam.

I absolutely cannot do English style because I can't hold onto the yarn and do the stitch at the same time. I've tried and tried and eventually decided that if something makes you want to kill yourself you shouldn't do it anymore, so I had to work out how to hold both yarns in my left hand.

So I can't really give advice on how to do English with double knitting, but I can see something's funky with your purl stitch. There shouldn't be a wrap of any kind in front of the knit stitches. Are you sure you're really bringing both forward and not crossing them at all?

I found a video on how to do it two handed for comparison. Kind of blurry but it might show you what's going wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7EPogH6M-w

Thanks for trying. That video like all the others was showing English knit and Continental purl, which is working, but I think I've figured it out; I was trapping one of my yarns in front when I did Continental knit and English purl, making my purls look all messed up. I was still moving both yarns to front and back as appropriate, but you have to be careful of how you do that with Continental.

This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JroP84tUmJA&t=192s shows what I mean about wrapping; it's not an additional step, but moving the yarn from front to back appears to wrap the opposite color purl stitch and hide the color somewhat.

I'm not sure what you mean about crossing the yarn. Every tutorial I've read and watched says to twist the yarn together (I assume like in stranded knitting) to keep the fabric married.

Anyway, if anyone else is reading, it's possible to double knit two-handed and it doesn't matter which stitch you do Continental or English!

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

Yeah I'm not sure what I meant by crossing them, but I don't keep them twisted so I'm not sure how that works. But glad you got it figured out, now the sky's the limit! I've had so much fun with double knitting, and it always impresses people when something is reversible.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
I'm just getting back into the knitting game after about a year absence. I want to start knitting donation items for the homeless, the less fortunate, hospital patients, etc. I don't want to give them hats and scarves made of scratchy, bad quality yarn, but I also don't want to break the bank. Any yarn suggestions for donation items?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Lion Brand Wool Ease is a wool-acrylic blend that is soft and machine washable, and not very expensive. You get the wool for warmth and acrylic for easy care. Red Heart Soft comes in huge skeins and holds up pretty well, lots of bold colors in that line, pretty economical as well.

Walmart seems to get weird scratchy lots of everything they sell. I buy from Joanne with coupons and usually get at least 15% and often 40% off.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

djinndarc posted:

I'm just getting back into the knitting game after about a year absence. I want to start knitting donation items for the homeless, the less fortunate, hospital patients, etc. I don't want to give them hats and scarves made of scratchy, bad quality yarn, but I also don't want to break the bank. Any yarn suggestions for donation items?

I have been using Carrons Simply Soft for most of my stuff, I know 100% acrylic isn't "real" yarn to a lot of serious knitters, but it's cheap, soft and easy to work with, doesn't shrink and doesn't have to be blocked every time it's washed. It isn't heat resistant and has no stretch, and real wool is much nicer, but I don't dis nice acrylic yarn. You can be totally cozy with it. And it doesn't smell like a wet sheep when it rains.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Made some mittens. These are a really good way to use up some of the leftover stash that keeps accumulating in my yarn bin.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Those are nice mittens. I like those mittens. Do those mittens have a pattern?

Fake edit: mittens

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

NancyPants posted:

Those are nice mittens. I like those mittens. Do those mittens have a pattern?

Fake edit: mittens
Yes, the pattern I have is in Norwegian, though. I could try and translate it, but I think that would violate copyright laws.
The pattern is "Retrovotter for hele familien" from the book "Lek med tradisjoner" by Kristin Wiola Ødegård. She's kwiola on Ravelry, if you contact her, maybe she'll be willing to sell you a translated version?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Thanks for the info, I'll probably pick up enough Norwegian and use Google to just get through the pattern when it becomes mitten time again in my neck of the woods. I've done enough mittens that may actually work.

I'd love it to have some technique I've never seen before, then I could just learn it in Norwegian but not English.

E: Anne Whately I was kind of wondering that, the mitten itself looks pretty standard.

Double edit:

GeekAlong15: Aperture Science

I made some goofs but I think I'll probably fix them with duplicate stitch afterward. My mom just wants me to make her potholders and towels all the time and I needed an interesting design. Didn't notice the aperture opening goof until a couple rows up and didn't want to go back.

I started keeping time reports last year to have hard data to show a friend who insisted I could make money at knitting (you can't) to show her what items would need to be priced to break even, let alone turn a profit. This is 6 hours of work so far. (I also track my yarn expenses. If I weren't so lazy about weighing my yarn before and after every project, I could calculate the price of yarn used per project.)

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 14, 2017

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
They look great! Tbh, NancyPants, if you've made mittens before, that pic is enough to reverse-engineer it. If you haven't made mittens before, give it a shot! They're so addicting.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I finished it, errors and all. It took a long time to learn to read the knitting to notice if I'd lost my way with the chart or I'd forgotten to bring both yarns to front or back. I got the hang of the knit, purl thing really easily, but remembering that when working the "back" side, dark on the chart means to make a light stitch tripped me up several times. Unless someone has some trick other than just remembering it, that one will take practice.

I marked out the chart columns in groups of 5 stitches and used stitch markers, but I was using a ruler to keep my place at first. Switching over to a highlighter to mark up the chart was much easier and for whatever time I might have lost writing on the chart, I'm sure I made it up in not squinting at it.

Now that I feel I've got the basic mechanics down, I'll probably look into some of the techniques for making prettier cast on/bind off and neater edges. That "randomly twist everything together" thing is not going to work. If anyone has any of those to share, I'm all ears. It's hard to search for techniques that you don't know the names of.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Yay! It looks like a success from here and trying something from pattern alone is always scary at least to me. I want to try this at some point but I don't have any knowledge of the fancy terms though. Hopefully someone else does.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

a friendly penguin posted:

Yay! It looks like a success from here and trying something from pattern alone is always scary at least to me. I want to try this at some point but I don't have any knowledge of the fancy terms though. Hopefully someone else does.

Thanks! Having learned the basic technique in a day, I'm going to let you in on a closely held secret: the internet makes it out to be far more complicated than it really is. If you can knit and purl, you can double knit. Plus there's usually Youtube if you can figure out what to search for.

ElScorcho
May 8, 2008

Horse.

NancyPants posted:

I finished it, errors and all. It took a long time to learn to read the knitting to notice if I'd lost my way with the chart or I'd forgotten to bring both yarns to front or back. I got the hang of the knit, purl thing really easily, but remembering that when working the "back" side, dark on the chart means to make a light stitch tripped me up several times. Unless someone has some trick other than just remembering it, that one will take practice.

I marked out the chart columns in groups of 5 stitches and used stitch markers, but I was using a ruler to keep my place at first. Switching over to a highlighter to mark up the chart was much easier and for whatever time I might have lost writing on the chart, I'm sure I made it up in not squinting at it.

Now that I feel I've got the basic mechanics down, I'll probably look into some of the techniques for making prettier cast on/bind off and neater edges. That "randomly twist everything together" thing is not going to work. If anyone has any of those to share, I'm all ears. It's hard to search for techniques that you don't know the names of.

Looks good! I've been on a double knitting kick lately making a blanket for my son so I can share the videos I used for making a nice cast on and a slip stitch edge :)

Cast on:
https://youtu.be/RO-maaxl8Rc

Slip stitch edge:
https://youtu.be/0-BLtYkAfa8

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

ElScorcho posted:

Looks good! I've been on a double knitting kick lately making a blanket for my son so I can share the videos I used for making a nice cast on and a slip stitch edge :)

Cast on:
https://youtu.be/RO-maaxl8Rc

Slip stitch edge:
https://youtu.be/0-BLtYkAfa8

Those will be handy, thank you. I ended up stumbling over this single yarn cast on and the method described here to knit the end stitches together, then twist and slip the first stitch knitwise of the new row. That no twist method in the video is intriguing, though.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Done! Liljerosett kofte, an old traditional pattern from Norway. My mom helped me with sewing the pieces together, because I've never cut openings for arm holes before and I was terrified.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

That is beautiful, holy cow

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Thanks, NancyPants!

I also made this baby Marius sweater last fall, but I forgot to take a pic of it before I gave it away.
Had to have a break from the Liljerosett, man I think I've been knitting on that one since April last year.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

NancyPants posted:

Those will be handy, thank you. I ended up stumbling over this single yarn cast on and the method described here to knit the end stitches together, then twist and slip the first stitch knitwise of the new row. That no twist method in the video is intriguing, though.

Sockmatitian's got a few great ones, I like the two color invisible cast on in this video-

https://youtu.be/Y5oi2fknnH0

It's really fiddly but makes a beautiful edge and complimented by the invisible bindoff-.

https://youtu.be/upoeo5hwDFo

It's just regular kitchener graft but on one needle, really cool.

Midnight Sun posted:

Done! Liljerosett kofte, an old traditional pattern from Norway. My mom helped me with sewing the pieces together, because I've never cut openings for arm holes before and I was terrified.

This is aaaaawwwwsome. Something like this is my long term goal, though I suck so much at fair isle it will be quite a while.

STEAK FOR BREAKFAST
Apr 2, 2008
I just picked up knitting again, after a very very long time. Here's some things I made.

A cat hat.

Hand warmer things.

I really like fair isle knitting!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

STEAK FOR BREAKFAST posted:

I just picked up knitting again, after a very very long time. Here's some things I made.

A cat hat.

Hand warmer things.

I really like fair isle knitting!

And I really like your yarn and pattern choices! Those look like a good dose of color and fun for a dreary day.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Cat hat and hand warmers - cool! :D

STEAK FOR BREAKFAST
Apr 2, 2008

effika posted:

And I really like your yarn and pattern choices! Those look like a good dose of color and fun for a dreary day.

Thanks! I can post the patterns if anyone's interested.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

STEAK FOR BREAKFAST posted:

Thanks! I can post the patterns if anyone's interested.

Yes please!

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

It only took me a month but I figured out how to do a brioche 4 stitch decrease.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

keyboard vomit posted:

It only took me a month but I figured out how to do a brioche 4 stitch decrease.

Awesome, well done!

STEAK FOR BREAKFAST
Apr 2, 2008
Here you go. Hopefully they're somewhat legible.

Big cat and some random filler patterns. Ignore the fish skeleton next to the cat.

Meow cats.

Fish.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Brioche stitch is Real Good guys

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
New Knitty is here, and I don't have to tell you how terrible it is. Some of the patterns are painfully ugly.

That said, I do sort of like the Stripodot socks despite the stupid name. They look simple and cozy, and I have about a dozen skeins of sock yarn I bought during a closeout sale last year that would be great for this. I just can't get over how much I hate the toes. For some reason, super pointy sock toes really bother me, but it shouldn't be too hard to modify, right? I plan to knit these toe-up anyway, and the pattern includes a brief note about doing so.. :ohdear:

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

Knitty sucks constantly. That Dingle hat isn't bad, you could pick some way better color combos. Heh, dingle..

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I like Dingle. I might even like it in those colors. I was going to make a crack about fiber people being color blind and how that clearly includes me and obviously it does, right?

Amalgam isn't so bad, just not in those colors, and not as a skirt. It doesn't have an actual USE, and I don't know anyone besides my MIL who actually wears shawls, but it's basically a big goofy cowl. I kind of hate mosaic, I feel like it's cheating. Something like this is a good place for it, though.

Blurred Lines is ugly but the 'hey I knit super fast to put my poo poo on TV' thing is sort of neat, hopefully she doesn't make sweatshop money for 'exposure'.

Knitty like always is like 'boring, boring, boring, ugly, boring, boring, HELL NO, boring, ugly, WTF, oh, spinning project'

I finished my dk Portal square, when I can get out of bed I'll try to get a natural lighting photo. It was like 15 hours of knitting. I tracked it as 16, but my timer was going when I looked up the single yarn cast off. Haven't been able to knit much, it makes the migraines worse.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, I don't hate everything in this issue, and Blurred LInes is hideous and it's like... geez, I like the idea of Knitty, because something like Ravelry is such a giant pile of patterns it can be hard to sift out nice things, but Knitty is just, like, not exactly a showcase of nice things either.

I almost wonder if a website devoted to, like, sifting out neat or good patterns from Ravelry would be a good idea.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

7 women's tops, a lace shawl, and a convertible skirt thing. Of the 3 patterns I could actually wear I only like the socks. Dingle's okay but I don't like slouchy hats, I'd have to convert it to a skull cap design.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Looool well Ravelry tries to do that a bit on their front page but obviously it's not that in depth.

Knitty wasn't even good before Ravelry came along, was it?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

NancyPants posted:

Looool well Ravelry tries to do that a bit on their front page but obviously it's not that in depth.

Knitty wasn't even good before Ravelry came along, was it?

The patterns seem to have always had that same level of awkwardness/oddness to them. I think the site felt higher-quality before Ravelry because it was one of the few places you could go to find patterns that always had a photo (not necessarily a good one), and where somebody other than the author had looked over the pattern.

Now we can quickly & easily see thousands of sweater patterns. If some of those patterns aren't easy to read, lack good photos, or turn out to be hideous we've wasted all of 5 seconds on the decision before moving on to the next. It's a much different situation than the early 2000's, where sifting through that many patterns quickly was impossible. Knitty was useful then, but the patterns Knitty chose were always a tad... quirky, shall we say.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Speaking of free patterns, have you guys checked out Drops Design? Literally thousands of patterns for free, and pretty ones too! In 13 different languages (the link goes to UK English, but you can change it to US English in the drop menu in the top left. Or Hungarian. Or Finnish. And so on.)

Citrus Sky
Sep 30, 2012
I like Recital a lot, and it would look great in a lush tonal yarn. But the odd construction of the front panel might give it a strange fit. It's always hard to tell with designer photos if they look good because its a well designed piece, or if they look good because they were taken by a professional photographer with a good looking model. That's one of the best things about Ravelry, I think - you can see all the pieces knitted by average people, how they fit, and how they look knitted up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

Midnight Sun posted:

Speaking of free patterns, have you guys checked out Drops Design? Literally thousands of patterns for free, and pretty ones too! In 13 different languages (the link goes to UK English, but you can change it to US English in the drop menu in the top left. Or Hungarian. Or Finnish. And so on.)

They have quite a few patterns I like. I bought some of their yarn a few months back, a cotton/linen blend, and I really like it. It's quite affordable, and pretty ok quality. Has anyone else tried out their yarns?