Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Thanks all for the info!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ihatepants posted:

You can also save scum. Save prior to using the amiibo, scan amiibo, open chest, then reload your save if you didn't get what you wanted.

Edit: Epona seems to be the only guaranteed thing you get on a first scan. Make sure if you scan Smash Link that you register Epona because if you don't register it, I don't think you can get it to spawn again without creating a new game.

also don't scan until you're off the plateau, heh

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

ihatepants posted:

https://imgur.com/a/QWNvr

Edit: IMO, the best ones are Smash Link (Epona is maxed out in all stats), Smash Zelda (Twilight bow shoots light arrows that don't take any ammo and shoot perfectly straight/don't have drop due to gravity - durability is also amazing), Smash Sheik, BOTW Zelda and BOTW Guardian.

I am pretty sure Epona is not maxed out and there are horses in the game with slightly better stats

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I am pretty sure Epona is not maxed out and there are horses in the game with slightly better stats

Can confirm. Visit stables to learn more.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Isaac chat: I've confirmed that the daily run is the same as it is on PC. Sometimes there are very minute differences. Wife crushed me today, as I occasionally just flat out ignore how much health I have remaining.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bombadilillo posted:

Can confirm. Visit stables to learn more.

I've registered three horses but never ridden around on one. I love running and climbing too much to bother

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

The Bloop posted:

I've registered three horses but never ridden around on one. I love running and climbing too much to bother

It's cool to fight on horse back or ram enemies but also that horses on auto-walk will follow established paths on their own is cool if you want to chill and let your horse get you somewhere

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

The Bloop posted:

:same:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It's cool to fight on horse back or ram enemies but also that horses on auto-walk will follow established paths on their own is cool if you want to chill and let your horse get you somewhere

What really?!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

If you jump of a horse and use the bow you get slowmo. Its awesome to rush into a group, jump and headshot a couple before you land.

But yeah I often find a hill and bye horse. You just pull them out later.

Also pro tip. Bows that have multishot only use 1 arrow. INCLUDING special arrows. Think bomb arrow multishot in slow off your horse.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

What really?!

Yea, horses autowalk along marked trails

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
I can't get my drat horse to turn well at all and it apparently fully "loves" me. Makes these competition things tough :(

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I finally hit lag in BoI on my forth run, but it only a frame rate drop that lasted a few seconds. And it was happening when this was on screen.

https://twitter.com/rirse/status/842882725593800704

Even then this is a minor annoyance and way better the what the Vita or 3DS version had.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Yep, I also got lag with tammy's head on Azazel.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

My Isaac cart did not show up the first time I put it in but the second time it did. Y'all have made me nervous now :ohdear:

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

ihatepants posted:

https://imgur.com/a/QWNvr

Edit: IMO, the best ones are Smash Link (Epona is maxed out in all stats), Smash Zelda (Twilight bow shoots light arrows that don't take any ammo and shoot perfectly straight/don't have drop due to gravity - durability is also amazing), Smash Sheik, BOTW Zelda and BOTW Guardian.

I can't remember if it was Smash Zelda or Smash Ganondorf that gave me the sword that they use in that sick Twilight Princess cutscene to stab Ganondorf in the heart and send him to the Twilight Realm. It's a two hander for like 54 damage and looks neat as hell.

I think Epona is as balanced as the game lets you. Even the pale horse Zelda used to ride that you have to track down for that side mission has the same number of stat points they're just distributed differently. Still I haven't snagged a giant horse yet so maybe those are maxed out completely.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Whats the verdict on Isaac. Is it a pass, rental, or purchase? I got a free month of gamefly, trying to rent it, but its at low availability.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

ChocNitty posted:

Whats the verdict on Isaac. Is it a pass, rental, or purchase? I got a free month of gamefly, trying to rent it, but its at low availability.
It's poo, especially for $40.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
It a good version even if a little pricey. Technical side it runs great for the most part, but if there is a lot of beams on screen then the framerate drops down for a few seconds until they are gone. This happens generally with Azrael with cricket head or brimstone with monstro lungs.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If you've never played Isaac before and enjoy rogue lites, it's a pretty robust game with a lot of replay.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Quidthulhu posted:

My Isaac cart did not show up the first time I put it in but the second time it did. Y'all have made me nervous now :ohdear:

Mine did that too. Hasn't happened since.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So what are people's experiences with glass screen protectors? I ordered the amFilm tempered glass protector and I'm curious to hear people's experiences with it because I understand that regular plastic protectors straight up melt on a docked switch

EDIT: Also I want the switch to get netflix so that way I don't need to switch (hurrr) to my PS4 when I wanna watch Scrubs on Netflix

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Got the amFilm one and it works perfectly. Had no issues with the melting issue the plastic ones had. It comes with two in the pack, but only had to use one due to the highly suggested idea of applying it in a bathroom with a hot shower, as it burns away the dust in the air.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I got the amFilm ones, too. The shower thing is definitely the way to go. Looks like it's supposed to be there. Thankfully haven't had the durability tested, but it feels really nice.

I went physical for BoI, though I probably shouldn't have. Oh well. I'm really liking the split Joycons for it. Using the buttons to fire feels really good, since I've always had issues using a stick for the PC version.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Commissar Ken posted:

I can't remember if it was Smash Zelda or Smash Ganondorf that gave me the sword that they use in that sick Twilight Princess cutscene to stab Ganondorf in the heart and send him to the Twilight Realm. It's a two hander for like 54 damage and looks neat as hell.

I think Epona is as balanced as the game lets you. Even the pale horse Zelda used to ride that you have to track down for that side mission has the same number of stat points they're just distributed differently. Still I haven't snagged a giant horse yet so maybe those are maxed out completely.

You should get that horse. Its different.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Calaveron posted:

So what are people's experiences with glass screen protectors? I ordered the amFilm tempered glass protector and I'm curious to hear people's experiences with it because I understand that regular plastic protectors straight up melt on a docked switch

EDIT: Also I want the switch to get netflix so that way I don't need to switch (hurrr) to my PS4 when I wanna watch Scrubs on Netflix

I got the amFilm one because I was sick of waiting for Hori.

It's okay. Much thicker than a Hori screen. I can see myself removing it at some point now that I have a Hori one.

it is much more noticeable than the Hori, as well. And it is harder to get on properly due to having to get it right on the first try.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
If you haven't seen Lamar Wilson videos before, he is goofy but positive. Anyway, he got that Switch messenger bag/purse and did an unboxing in case you were curious about it. Skip to 3:30 to get to the actual bag.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 18, 2017

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Michaellaneous posted:

So I finally got my hands on a Switch, able to try it out for an hour or so. Here are my thoughts on this:

This screen is tiny and utter trash. If I want to appreciate what I am seeing in any way, I need to have the joycons slotted in, holding it close to my face. If I prop this thing up on a table somewhere in a realistic fashion, it's utter trash and lmao @ the thought of playing Skyrim on such a tiny display.

The joysticks on the controllers feel cheap, make awful noises when snapping back, and, generally handle like trash.

There is virtually no space between the bumpers, leaving no space to my rest my index fingers. I have to put them
under the joycons, behind the bumpers.

The "controller" you slot the joycons in feels like a cheaply made chinese knockoff.

I am forced to hold the Switch kinda awkwardly, since the left joystick is really far up, and the right one realy far down. It just does not feel comfortable, and in addition, the thing is quite heavy too.

So yeah. Tiny loving screen, a cheap feeling and an overall lack of comfort makes this a joke, at least to me. 450 bucks for this? Lol.

Agreed. Even $300 feels egregious.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Yeah the Switch is worth a $40 Amazon Fire (non-HD) tablet at best

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I think a hundred and fifty bucks, all inclusive with a Zelda pack-in is fair.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Why can't I save my credit card info like with the 3ds and wiiu

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Why can't I save my credit card info like with the 3ds and wiiu

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
If people want to crap on the joycons, fine. But saying that screen is utter trash is pretty unfounded. it is bigger than any gaming handheld prior. Has a better resolution than any gaming handheld prior (don't compare it to $600 iPads that can't even run the games the Switch can). It is a nice IPS screen with a wide color range. It looks great. If you have trouble reading it, then glasses are probably in order (and this is coming from someone who gets made fun of by my wife for squinting my eyes and making the "old man" face when I read things). A 720p IPS screen with great color reproduction is perfectly fine for gaming handhelds in a $300 package for this current era. If you want a bigger screen, then why even undock it or buy it at all? It is supposed to be at least semi-portable.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
My roommate who apparently has not heard of the switch at all kinda lost his poo poo when I undocked it. It was kinda cool to show it off

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I like the part where he says the screen is "loving tiny" and that the thing is too heavy in the same sentence

Switch literally weighs less than a pound. Lol what a loving pussy

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Why wouldn't you just rest your fingers on the actual buttons???

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
This lovely thing is DEFINITELY not worth $700. Not at ALL!

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

I really like it. This version has a few frame drop issues but they are not that common. As a rental it would be worthless though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What controller out there has a spot to rest your fingers when you aren't using the triggers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ChocNitty posted:

well first off I don't know if they ever fixed the last expansion being horrible

• Locked thread