Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So I'm listening to the old 4 part UNIT series. I know it's completely unintentional...but hearing "Turn then over to ICIS (pronounced ISIS)" and "Make Britain Great Again"....it's unnerving.

Edit: goddamn, now they're stirring up manufactured outrage against Muslims. This is eerie.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

After The War posted:

Get them, they're way better than they have any right to be.

I just finished "Dalek Empire" and thought it was mostly dumb. How much better is " I, Davros? "

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I just finished "Dalek Empire" and thought it was mostly dumb. How much better is " I, Davros? "

Entirely different beast, in no small part due to the fact that, aside from the framing narrating, there aren't any Daleks in it! This is more of an expansion on the Davros audio, playing on his skills as a manipulator and opportunist against the backdrop of decaying Kaled society. If Dalek Empire is a doorstopper space opera, this is more like a long-game political backstabbing drama - maybe think The Borgias with body horror, set in a post-apocalyptic dystopia instead of Renaissance Italy. And Terry Malloy is utterly fantastic, as always.

I guess the only reasons to avoid it would be if you need to have likeable "good guys", or if you're morally opposed to having a long-running character's background explored. But definitely grab it if you liked Davros.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-03-17/doctor-who-fans-this-is-your-chance-to-have-breakfast-with-seven-doctors--past-and-present

This is tre cool...

quote:

As part of Red Nose Day's 'Best Auction Ever', seven Time Lords – past and present – are gathering in one place for the best meal of the day and there are four empty spots up for grabs.
The Doctors are: Peter Capaldi, Matt Smith, David Tennant, Paul McGann, Sylvester McCoy, Peter Davidson and Colin Baker.
And that extra place at the table is available to all Doctor Who fans, whatever their budget. This is how it's going to work...
There are four spaces up for grabs – two of them will go to the highest bidders with the online auction opening at 6:30pm on Friday 17th March.
But for those without a big bank balance, two of the spots will go to raffle ticket winners. To enter the raffle costs just £5 so if you've been counting the pennies recently, simply purchase a ticket for your chance to win the ultimate Doctor Who fan experience.

They got everybody but T Bakes, who I assume will be up for bidding on a pub trip.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

quote:

The Doctors are: Peter Capaldi, Matt Smith, David Tennant, Paul McGann, Sylvester McCoy, Peter Davidson and Colin Baker.

Astroman posted:

They got everybody but T Bakes

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I hope whoever wins sends a waxwork sculpture of Tom in their place :allears:

He can't be there because he's too busy saving the world for us stupid apes!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

LOL...I did actually mean everybody who would ever actually show up!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think the Torchwood radio plays are great. I've not heard them all, but Fall to Earth and Made You Look were the best, I thought. I thought Made You Look turned something that could have been really goofy into something legitimately scary.

The only one that I've not particularly enjoyed was Zone Ten, which probably could have done with having slightly more of a plot.

McGann posted:

I can agree with Archive, it was kinda meh. Thinking back on it, all I remember is some guy going out to the archive with his secretly evil/replaced/controlled/something newlywedded wife. That and Jack being about as smug as possible.

Re: spoilertext None of that actually happened though!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

You know, I'm quite glad the Tardis is an English police box, and not a The Hague one.

One can only imagine how awkard the landings with these things would be.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Carbon dioxide posted:

You know, I'm quite glad the Tardis is an English police box, and not a The Hague one.

One can only imagine how awkard the landings with these things would be.

I was looking for a video of the Boston Dynamics walking dog since I figured the Hague TARDIS would walk like that, and found somebody had already taken a video of it and added the Doctoring the TARDIS song to it :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7vT6jhw9J0

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Astroman posted:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-03-17/doctor-who-fans-this-is-your-chance-to-have-breakfast-with-seven-doctors--past-and-present

This is tre cool...

They got everybody but T Bakes, who I assume will be up for bidding on a pub trip.

One of those winners is obligated to bring a wax Tom.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

So I'm listening to the old 4 part UNIT series. I know it's completely unintentional...but hearing "Turn then over to ICIS (pronounced ISIS)" and "Make Britain Great Again"....it's unnerving.

Edit: goddamn, now they're stirring up manufactured outrage against Muslims. This is eerie.

When did it come out?

Because if it was 2007-2010, that was back when the BNP were sort of a thing.

(See also: "Turn Left".)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Series started in 2004

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hey Whovians, I'm planning a trip to Scotland, Wales and Northern England. Any Who related stuff I shouldn't miss while I'm there?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I think the Doctor Who Experience in Cardiff is shutting down soon. Hit that up.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Astroman posted:

They only went after the good ones.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Wheat Loaf posted:

When did it come out?

Because if it was 2007-2010, that was back when the BNP were sort of a thing.

(See also: "Turn Left".)

You may be surprised to learn that open popularist racism against muslims is not a new phenomenon!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You may be surprised to learn that open popularist racism against muslims is not a new phenomenon!

I didn't think I was suggesting otherwise.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Technically this is the first police box, based in Trafalgar Square. This would have been fun and different.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The_Doctor posted:

Technically this is the first police box, based in Trafalgar Square. This would have been fun and different.

The Doctor fixes the Chameleon Circuit, doesn't like the disguise, changes it back to "Police Box," and gets this.

That's my new fan fiction.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I didn't think I was suggesting otherwise.

There was a massive wave of the stuff around September 11th, the Iraq War and the 2005 bombings. I really wouldn't pick out any period of the 2000's as being particularly and distinctly worse than the others.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just finished Survival and I've started the movie. I'm about 70 minutes away from having watched every extant doctor who story from the main canon. It has taken me about two years to slowly work my way through them

After this comes the 1960s movies, and then the audio reconstructions, and then follows the sweet release of death.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CommonShore posted:

Just finished Survival and I've started the movie. I'm about 70 minutes away from having watched every extant doctor who story from the main canon. It has taken me about two years to slowly work my way through them

After this comes the 1960s movies, and then the audio reconstructions, and then follows the sweet release of death. the Big Finish audios

ftfy

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've listened to a few, but they fit so poorly into my lifestyle. I sometimes listen to them on road trips, but I have no intention of working my way through all of them.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CommonShore posted:

I've listened to a few, but they fit so poorly into my lifestyle. I sometimes listen to them on road trips, but I have no intention of working my way through all of them.

As someone who has been doing exactly that for several years, I can tell you - you have that wrong.

Your lifestyle will adapt to service Big Finish. :psylon:

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
How long would it take to get through all the Dr Who stuff out there at this point, if you were starting from scratch? I mean I imagine the answer is variable on a bunch of factors, but curious what you nerds think. As you'll know all variants down to the second.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Paused posted:

How long would it take to get through all the Dr Who stuff out there at this point, if you were starting from scratch? I mean I imagine the answer is variable on a bunch of factors, but curious what you nerds think. As you'll know all variants down to the second.

If you watched non stop 24/7

A month and a half of material if you're lucky.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
If you're talking about ALL official Doctor Who material, including spin-offs, you'd have to read several hundred books. How fast a reader are you?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

~~impulsively spends $20 ordering pre-1990 Doctor Who novels from AbeBooks~~

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Burkion posted:

If you watched non stop 24/7

A month and a half of material if you're lucky.

This is impossible because with the old series it's incredibly clear they were supposed to be watched weekly, and if you try to watch a bunch of them right after each other you'll just get burned out. If you don't you're not human.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Carbon dioxide posted:

This is impossible because with the old series it's incredibly clear they were supposed to be watched weekly, and if you try to watch a bunch of them right after each other you'll just get burned out. If you don't you're not human.

I was able to blitz stories from the first three doctors pretty ravenously when I was in the mood.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Carbon dioxide posted:

Some of them work less well, some work better. No human can understand Ghost Light watched weekly.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Carbon dioxide posted:

If you don't you're not human.

I am too! :mad:

....on my mother's side at least..... :tinfoil:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/christhebarker/status/843495316657790977

This guy's been steadily expanding this gif since last night. It's so good.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Love that funky Third Doctor console room, even if it was in just one or two episodes. :allears:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/christhebarker/status/843570765974966272

Here's the All Classic Doctors version

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Where's the secondary control room?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Trip Report: The Keys of Marinus Episode V: The Millenials Strike Back Sentence of Death

So Ian has been framed by a Black Gloved Man for a crime he didn't commit. He promplty escapted from a maximum security stockade to the Millenial Underground. Hunted by the government, he survives as a soldier of fortune. If you have a problem, and no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire THE IAN TEAM.

"I love it when an overly complicated plan comes together!"

When we last left Ian he was out cold with his hand wrapped around an Ye Olde Medieval Mace next to a body. When he comes to he's being creepily stared at by Tarron, a catty guy from the Millenial City police dressed up in the finest Nazi/Kaled fascist black uniform. When he asks Ian who he is and what he does, Ian says he's looking for the Keys on behalf of Arbitan for the good of all Marnius vaguely says he's "Ian Chesterton, a visitor to this area and a school teacher" and doesn't know anything 'bout no Key. So of course, he's arrested and whoops, the justice system on Marinus is a bit backwards--you're guilty until you prove yourself innocent. Guess things went to poo poo without The Conscience! He's asked if he knows anyone in the city who could defend him, and he says he does...a Doctor.

Tarron, not Tarrant!

Meanwhile Babs and the rest have finally shown up and been told they see Ian, but they'd better behave or they'll be sent to toil away at the Glass Factories in the Desert. That beach glass doesn't make itself! Note: Ian is still wearing his fabulous robes from Marco Polo, which is a great nod to continuity you rarely see in 60s tv. These episodes often ran right into each other (a pain in the rear end for Big Finish when trying to shoehorn extra stories in). The Doctor swans in fresh from a couple weeks off and declares himself the man for the job to defend Ian.

"Laws, shmaws, I cut my teeth on Time Lord politics!"

In the courtroom, the Millenial City judges come in. Eschewing their traditional native dress of hoodies, ironic t shirts and pajama pants, they are instead dressed in funny hats and robes right out of a 21st Century ECON post atomic holocaust courtroom. As in Encounter At Farpoint, they observe the same guilty until proven innocent laws.

"We call ourselves 'The Q'"

The laws of the city of Millenius say that basically anybody can speak for anyone else, so they aren't big on "passing the bar" or that sort of nonsense. The Doctor has had a few hours to brush up on their laws so he's ready to go. He stalls for time and is granted a couple days. The prosecutor comes up and trash talks him but the Doctor is unfazed. Turns out the victim is Eprim, a friend of Altos sent ahead by Arbitan. He'd found the Key, he and The Doctor were going to get it, but loose lips sink ships and Eprim must've blabbed so now somebody killed him and took the key. Assuming Gen Y City is one of the more civilized areas left on Marinus after the fall of The Conscience, I'm not understanding why they just didn't go to the authorities and ask for the Key on behalf of Arbitan. :shrug: Altos is pretty nonplussed about the death of his friend, and happily agrees to head to the library with Sabetha to look up boring case laws about murders.

"It looks like there might be a loophole! If the murder occurred in a Safe Space for killers, Ian can't be charged!

The Doctor, Susan, and Barbara are getting the particulars of the crime at the scene from Tarron. What baffles Tarron is why the Key is no longer there. It's as if it vanished into thin air, because nobody could possibly have come or gone from that room without the guards knowing. In a society where matter transport via teleport bracelets exists. :crossarms: Nope, no way that could happen! Literally nobody brings this up. Susan: "That's fantastic! It couldn't disappear into thin air!" :downs: The Doctor concludes that it's obvious: there was a Third Man in the room, and he knows who it is!

"Under the Voords we had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced killer plants, frozen ice soldiers, and seas of acid. With The Conscience we had brotherly love, we had five hundred years of democracy and peace – and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Eprim."

The Doctor thinks it was the relief guard at the museum who killed Eprim, clocked Ian, and stole the key. He sends Barbara and Susan to his house to question him further. He's not in, but his wife reveals that the Key was sent there by Arbitan and it's very valuable because there's only "5 in the universe." Guess the Marinans don't get off their planet much because some lame tech isn't so interesting elsewhere. She also says Eprim was "good friends" with her husband, which begs the question--why didn't Eprim get the key and just get out of there months ago, if he was picking it up for Arbitan? :confused: Ayden the guard comes home and is pretty pissed about these women asking questions and "prying into my affiars!" So yeah, Eprim was banging Ayden and that's why he was in no hurry to get back to Death Island.

"I've gotten to know Algy quite well since I've been in town. Trust me, you're not his type."

Back in the courtroom, the Doctor does some clever lawyering by putting Sabetha on the stand and having her show one of the other microkeys, claiming it was the actual Key from Millenial City and that Ayden gave it to her. He stands up, crying out that she can't have found his key! OOPS! Realizing he done hosed up, he runs out and is captured by...Barbara and Susan. He shouts that he wasn't acting alone, and he'll tell them who else was in on it. The he dies.

"And I would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for you meddling kids!"

The Doctor confers with the judges and the prosecutor about where the key is. Barbara, Ian, and Tarron talk about poor Ayden's wife who was clearly distraught finding out her husband was leading a double life with Eprim.
Barbara: "It's his wife I felt sorry for."
Tarron: "The doctors have given her oblivated drugs and sent her home to rest. She was hysterical!"
The tribunal decides gently caress it, Ian was obviously working with Ayden so he's even more guilty! The Doctor tries to stall for more time but is rebuffed. Ian is gonna be put to death. Outside the courtroom Barbara gets a very important message!

"It says 'dick butt'. What could that mean?"

The message says there will be another death if she reveals the location of the key. Then she gets a phone call from Susan saying "they" are going to kill her. Cliffhanger!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Where's the secondary control room?

He mentioned in a previous tweet that the gif's file size was already huge enough, and he wouldn't be showing alternate control rooms or costumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Paused posted:

Just purely the TV Dr Who (not counting any spin-off shows, but any and all episode prequels or webisodes), classic Who is about 13 solid days (300 hours or so - including the 96 movie and the missing episodes), from the revival until Dr Mysterio is 5 days (110 hours approx).

So yeah, 18 days start-to-finish, with episodes running all day and seamlessly into the next. :shepface:
With spin offs, it's probably closer to a full month, counting Sarah Jane, K-9, Torchwood & the twenty billion straight-to-VHS "we can use these monsters right?" stand-alone films.

As for audios, just the BF main range is currently something like 19 solid days (at approx 446 hours). That's not counting any of the Eighth, Fourth or War Doctor boxset stories, companion chronicles, lost stories, and not even remotely touching on any of the spinoffs like Gallifrey, Graceless, Benny Summerfield, Jago & Litefoot, UNIT, Torchwood, Sarah Jane, etc, etc.

God only knows how long with the books, novelisations , comics and games.

• Locked thread