Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

Baronjutter posted:

There's no such thing as free energy. The energy would come at the expense of worse fuel economy on the vehicles as the road essentially steals their energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
The man who sent Kurt Eichenwald a flashing image with the stated intent to trigger an epileptic seizure has been arrested. Good. gently caress this rear end in a top hat.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

I'm pretty sure I've seen this dude practicing in front of a used car dealership near here.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Good, gently caress that guy. As an epileptic myself, I've come to actively avoid trying to explain it to people because the single most common reaction I've gotten, even in professional work places, is for someone to either load up a flashing gif or to flick the lights on and off and asking "This won't like, freak you out will it?" And while I'm lucky enough that it won't, it could really harm someone who is photosensitive. It's extra fun when people berate me for not showing up, or being late, to work because I had a seizure and ask why I can't "just get over it".

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

Good, gently caress that guy. As an epileptic myself, I've come to actively avoid trying to explain it to people because the single most common reaction I've gotten, even in professional work places, is for someone to either load up a flashing gif or to flick the lights on and off and asking "This won't like, freak you out will it?" And while I'm lucky enough that it won't, it could really harm someone who is photosensitive. It's extra fun when people berate me for not showing up, or being late, to work because I had a seizure and ask why I can't "just get over it".

Haha, it's like telling someone, "Don't touch this plate, it's hot" except it's someone's brain.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Nuebot posted:

:wtc:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Here's a link that still works, not sure why your's doesn't.

From the official DOJ press release:

quote:

...direct messages from Rivello's [Twitter] account to other Twitter users concerning the victim. Among those direct messages included statements by Rivello including "I hope this sends him into a seizure", "Spammed this at [victim] let's see if he dies" and "I know he has epilepsy". Additional evidence received pursuant to a search warrant showed Rivello's iCloud account contained a screenshot of a Wikipedia page for the victim, which had been altered to show a fake obituary with the date of death listed as Dec. 16, 2016. Rivello's iCloud account also contained screen shots from epilepsy.com with a list of commonly reported epilepsy seizure triggers and from dallasobservor.com discussing the victim's report to the Dallas Police Department and his attempt to identify the Twitter user

Rivello's going for a federally-mandated vacation, and from the sound of it it couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Someone please find a mugshot of him so that the image in my head can turn out to exactly match what he really looks like.

edit:

quote:

Public records show Rivello's most recent address as a home owned by his parents in southeastern Maryland

Yep, he's looking more and more like I thought he would by the second.

Memento has a new favorite as of 06:44 on Mar 18, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Literally last time I had a seizure, after being forced to work late night shifts followed by extra early shifts for days on end getting like, 3 hours of sleep each day. I straight up could not get to my feet and get off the floor. my boss chewed me out the next day for not giving her 3 weeks notice that I wasn't going to show up.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Haha, it's like telling someone, "Don't touch this plate, it's hot" except it's someone's brain.

It seems to be a universal human reaction. "Oh man, this stuff tastes terrible! Here, you try it!"

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I thought to native speakers, the usage has an element of the misfortune being deserved and that's how I use it. Otherwise it's just sadism, right? It's the difference between enjoying drivers failing to fit under a bridge or enjoying a snuff film.

Unless I'm super wrong somewhere. Dictionary definitions seems too literal and don't have the unwritten how-it's-used-by-Germans thing. I don't know. The dude in red shorts shouldn't have swung so wide with those fists.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Speaking of Kurt Eichenwald http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/10/19/kurt-eichenwalds-sad-stor_n_69191.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

Jamfrost posted:

I thought to native speakers, the usage has an element of the misfortune being deserved and that's how I use it. Otherwise it's just sadism, right? It's the difference between enjoying drivers failing to fit under a bridge or enjoying a snuff film.

Unless I'm super wrong somewhere. Dictionary definitions seems too literal and don't have the unwritten how-it's-used-by-Germans thing. I don't know. The dude in red shorts shouldn't have swung so wide with those fists.

Sadism is getting (sexual) pleasure from hurting other people. Schadenfreude is just getting pleasure from watching someone else get hurt/get their comeuppance.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Celery Face posted:

It's pretty satisfying watching shoplifters acting like victims because they don't wanna face the fact that you might get arrested if you steal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQZ63b6HA9Y
This related video is pretty amazing. Manager's not even angry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcjYiE38iFI

e: Schadenfreude's on me for leaving a reply open in a tab for a day

kinmik has a new favorite as of 07:43 on Mar 18, 2017

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
That dude's great, he had that guy busted red handed.

This was in the related videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTtihdolLHY

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Nuebot posted:

Just shake it off

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Ratjaculation posted:

Just shake it off

:boom:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Mezzanine posted:

more like oldruthless

oh snap son

i know this is what 60 posts ago but this was a good one, no irony

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Trig Discipline posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen this dude practicing in front of a used car dealership near here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYvw68IneV4

There's some mild schadenfreude but I mostly posted it cause I love it and it fits with Trigs post. Deal with it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jamfrost posted:

It really comes down to prescriptivism vs descriptivism. The former is trying to define language as it should be spoken, the latter is trying to define language as it is spoken. Both er fluid concepts, so neither can ever fully encompass a language (although I guess if you're one single person writing one dictionary and constantly revising it to refine the meanings of words whose meanings change while you write later words). I guess which side of the fence I'm on is obvious.

Schadenfreude literally is just harm-joy. In Danish we say skadefryd (soft d, like th in the), and fryd by itself has become archaic in any other sense than "haha owned". Like that kid you hate falls down. That's "fryd" as hell. But we also say "skadefro" which is an adjective for someone who likes when others gets hurt. Not a sadist who likes causing hurt, but one who likes when others get hurt.

In German, and in this thread too, there's also that element of just desserts/instant karma, other times it's just funny to see a person falling down, whatever. All these meanings have changed and changed and will keep changing.

I think currently this thread is leaning towards the just desserts kind of schadenfreude, and if ze Germans do too, maybe the next Wörterbuch will have that as its first definition.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

So let's never talk about definitions again?

Also I forgot to mention the pronunciation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3_DjiLLDfo

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014

uuuuunnngggfff is this what heroin is like

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Source? I wanna see more.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

This work? They build the lego death star & then drop it from idk 20 feet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEHRrZrXOdQ

Jump to 3:50 if you dont care about the construction

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Powaqoatse posted:

But we also say "skadefro" which is an adjective for someone who likes when others gets hurt. Not a sadist who likes causing hurt, but one who likes when others get hurt.

I am stealing skadefro from you.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jamfrost posted:

I am stealing skadefro from you.

For an anglicized version I'd suggest 'schadenbro'

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Who care about linguistics, someone make a ~Schadenbro~ gangtag

Brainstorm: that bridge as the background & then idk fire & bananapeels or something in the foreground?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Powaqoatse posted:

Brainstorm: that bridge as the background & then idk fire & bananapeels or something in the foreground?

I need this gangtag in my life

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Powaqoatse posted:

Look deep into your heart. You know what needs to be in the gangtag. What must be in the gangtag.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

goddamn yes of course!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Out of Band II posted:

uuuuunnngggfff is this what heroin is like

The one at 1:40 might be the best.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Look deep into your heart. You know what needs to be in the gangtag. What must be in the gangtag.

He deserved that punch, in my opinion, agree/disagree?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

whiteyfats posted:

He deserved that punch, in my opinion, agree/disagree?

What if the little kid was shoplifting??

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Humphreys posted:

Wait for it...

https://i.imgur.com/mCxfXng.mp4

The schadenfreude is everyone in the thread expecting the hit
No, the schadenfreude is on the guy filming for having such a filthy and possibly cracked windshield :colbert:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Powaqoatse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYvw68IneV4

There's some mild schadenfreude but I mostly posted it cause I love it and it fits with Trigs post. Deal with it.

I pulled up the video, and unfortunately the Kung Fu Grandpa died in August 2015.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

I pulled up the video, and unfortunately the Kung Fu Grandpa died in August 2015.

He'll survive in all our hearts.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Count me in as a Shadenbro

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Almost a perfect loop.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust