Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

turn off the TV posted:

They did it for essentially the same reason in Fallout 3 by sectioning off the city into smaller chunks, by making everything nice and bite sized you can have a big city that works in the engine.

For some reason they forgot about this in Fallout 4 and added incredibly long avenues and large squares that are not going to work as well with occlusion culling.

Not having the metropolitan areas of the map sectioned off were an advertised selling point. If you'll remember one of the pre-release hype videos with T-How, they called out how aggravating it was to have to face a loading screen to enter most buildings and sections of downtown DC. So now, most buildings were all part of the main world map, with no more unclimbable piles of rubble to stop you from exploring all of downtown Boston.

They essentially rolled back a QoL curtain and conveniently forgetting why said curtain was put there for in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Father Wendigo posted:

Not having the metropolitan areas of the map sectioned off were an advertised selling point. If you'll remember one of the pre-release hype videos with T-How, they called out how aggravating it was to have to face a loading screen to enter most buildings and sections of downtown DC. So now, most buildings were all part of the main world map, with no more unclimbable piles of rubble to stop you from exploring all of downtown Boston.

They essentially rolled back a QoL curtain and conveniently forgetting why said curtain was put there for in the first place.

The thing is, though, is that the old QoL curtain is absolutely not necessary anymore. Bethesda introduced two systems, precombination and previsibility. Precom combines all the meshes in a cell into larger chunks, drastically reducing object counts, while previs generates an occlusion graph, which is used in game to cull objects without having to do so dynamically. This means that, in a dense city, you can potentially only be rendering the area immediately around you.

The problem, though, is that Bethesda's implementation of culling sucks, and they absolutely did not design Boston to take advantage of the technology.

Here's an example of how to do it, from a well designed game:

You may be noticing a recurring theme about Novigrad here: there are a lot of arches placed at the entrances of open areas and along longer roads. This is important because it blocks LOS of the buildings along the street, so the game skips a lot of rendering.

Bethesda doesn't really do this. To make matters worse, the layout of Boston really sucks for this. Again, look at TW3 and compare it to Boston.

See a difference? Novigrad has very few long streets, and roads don't allow you to easily look down several at once. Boston, meanwhile, has very long, unobstructed streets where every building front along it is being rendered.

If Bethesda had designed Boston to obstruct more of the player's vision I imagine that it would run much better, which is what I'm wanting to try to do.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

In Traits and More Perks, does getting one of the perks require and use up a perk point?

EDIT: If not, does creating each item require a fair amount of materials, proportional to the bonus given?

Ariong fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 14, 2017

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I wanted to try Weaponsmith Extended then quickly noped the gently caress out when I saw how insane the installation is. On second look, though, am I mistaken in believing that all the extra steps are only required if you want to install the mods not included in the 2GB assets file? If I'm willing to skip all those, can I just 1-click install everything with NMM by downloading it from the nexus?

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

Ariong posted:

In Traits and More Perks, does getting one of the perks require and use up a perk point?

EDIT: If not, does creating each item require a fair amount of materials, proportional to the bonus given?

No, and no. Hell no.

Content: finally discovered Nvidia Inspector. Capping the framerate (at 61.8, oddly), forcing Vsync via the video card, and playing in windowed mode has done wonders for my malignant micro stutter! :toot:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Well, does it feel cheaty at all?

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Ariong posted:

Well, does it feel cheaty at all?

Some of the recipes require some very specific materials to craft. Uncommon chems like Daddy-O for example. I think some are also gated behind vanilla perks and level requirements.

So not very cheaty in my opinion.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I just realized that Bethesda actually did place some walls which block LOS into and out of Boston Commons and then disabled them.

Why.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

aniviron posted:

Haven't gotten to use it yet, but a Sim Settlement mod just showed up, and it looks pretty promising. Essentially instead of having to micromanage every little aspect of your sad-sack settlers' lives, you plonk down residential/industrial/commercial zones and settlers build their own poo poo, have their own personalities expressed via the kinds of clutter they put in their dwellings, etc. Buildings upgrade over time as the settlement grows, and there's a tax system so you still make profit from your settlements.

It's beautiful. This is literally exactly what I wanted out of the settlement system from the start.

Falken posted:

So does this mean I could make my perfect little town, and get to use it for all playthroughs?

Yes.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

turn off the TV posted:

I just realized that Bethesda actually did place some walls which block LOS into and out of Boston Commons and then disabled them.

Why.

I'm eagerly waiting for your follow up post to this that will be something insane like:

"Turns out enabling those walls causes Preston Garvy to turn into a deathclaw. Deleting them entirely causes small scale black hole to appear over the Boston skyline. No idea why.... Adding in new visible walls around them works fine though."

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

TheCIASentMe posted:

I'm eagerly waiting for your follow up post to this that will be something insane like:

"Turns out enabling those walls causes Preston Garvy to turn into a deathclaw. Deleting them entirely causes small scale black hole to appear over the Boston skyline. No idea why.... Adding in new visible walls around them works fine though."

Actually, it turns out that adding in new, visible walls isn't working right because when I precombine the objects in the cell that I'm editing the walls disappear completely, despite the fact that there are precombination references listed for them, and that every other object in the precombined .nif works fine.

But, just sticking an occlusion box inside of the walls seems to work out alright. :iiam:

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

TheCIASentMe posted:

Huh.... you know, if you went in the other direction with that and created a mod that turned all deathclaws into Prestons...

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Backhand posted:

Huh.... you know, if you went in the other direction with that and created a mod that turned all deathclaws into Prestons...

And they all asked you to go rescue different settlements.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Would be better if they asked you to rescue deathclaws from some rear end in a top hat that's wandering the Commonwealth killing everything and collecting all the junk.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Mods mod mods mooooods! mods.

So yeah, the Blueprint revolution is awesome and saves times for some of us who don't want to spend hours building settlements and wincing because we've not got the patience to make them look well, decent. Downside to this though it is the new Nexus spam for the next few weeks but hey we still got some good stuff.

Wasteland Sniper had returned in an updated and retextured from with permission from the original modder. It looks so nice.

Metro Prepper outfit is another slavic inspired urban apocalypse survalist outfit out there, only for the vanilla player character body though.

Plasma Cannon is essentially a huge Institute stylised weapon and like all modded in laser weaponry it is welcome!

CleanVATS moves the green computer style tint from VATS mode.

SIK Paintjobs Brotherhood Outcast scheme add's the red paint pattern to Brotherhood power armor relating to the more traditional Brotherhood of Steel guys in Fallout 3.

More skin colors adds a selection of skin tones that are missing in the character creation menu for the player character.

Plasma carbine barrel adds a simple carbine barrel attachments to Plasma rifles for those who just want a carbine version of the weapon.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

lordfrikk posted:

I wanted to try Weaponsmith Extended then quickly noped the gently caress out when I saw how insane the installation is. On second look, though, am I mistaken in believing that all the extra steps are only required if you want to install the mods not included in the 2GB assets file? If I'm willing to skip all those, can I just 1-click install everything with NMM by downloading it from the nexus?

Don't use Weaponsmith Extended. Just download whichever individual weapon mods that you want, and create a merged patch in FO4edit.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Iron Rose posted:

Don't use Weaponsmith Extended. Just download whichever individual weapon mods that you want, and create a merged patch in FO4edit.

Nearly all recent weapon mods use injection scripts, so you usually don't even need to make merged patches nowadays.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Yeah don't bother with Weaponsmith Extended.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Alright, I'm pretty baffled at this point. Can someone download this .esp and see if you can precombine and previs HaluciGenExt's external cell and tell me if it works? I've uninstalled the Creation Kit, cleaned the esp, deleted all the loose files from the CK, then reinstalled the CK, changed no settings, and it's still not working.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwx0wRGisCt_NE55Q3dzdWR6MTQ/view?usp=sharing

e:

Here's what is actually in the .esp, a basic mock up for what an over street building might look like. I'm intending to use this to gauge how well it culls the street beyond it.

e2: Haha oh my god I'm a dumbass, I reset my .ini last week and forgot to activate archive invalidation.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 16, 2017

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I watched all the Sim Settlement videos and feel compelled to try it even though it will probably turn Preston into a deathclaw and eat all my saves.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dick Trauma posted:

I watched all the Sim Settlement videos and feel compelled to try it even though it will probably turn Preston into a deathclaw and eat all my saves.

I'm still just stunned by that mod, because holy poo poo. Really didn't expect anything like that to ever come out, but here we are.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

CascadeBeta posted:

And they all asked you to go rescue different settlements.

That's their battle cry.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

I'm still just stunned by that mod, because holy poo poo. Really didn't expect anything like that to ever come out, but here we are.

I just started working with it. It's a little tough to add to a game where you've already partially built a settlement because of how the additional needs are related solely to the sim plots. For example it doesn't care about those bunks you jammed in your flophouse; it wants each settler to have a home plot. Also I've been planning small semi-fenced settlements because I didn't think I could manage the large, detailed ones I've seen videos of so I need to rethink the places I've worked on so far. It will be much easier to create little rows of homes and shops, but that will work best at large, open settlements. I can't see this working as well at small places like Tenpines or weird layouts like Graygarden. The plots with built in piers could make it easier to level out a place like Graygarden though.

As a test I squeezed a home plot in next to the main Sanctuary house and it auto assigned it to Preston... who built a damned trailer on it.

My property values! :negative:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sim Settlement is eventually going to allow plots of different sizes and ones that house multiple residents, so it's pretty likely that higher density homes will eventually make it in.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

I just started working with it. It's a little tough to add to a game where you've already partially built a settlement because of how the additional needs are related solely to the sim plots. For example it doesn't care about those bunks you jammed in your flophouse; it wants each settler to have a home plot. Also I've been planning small semi-fenced settlements because I didn't think I could manage the large, detailed ones I've seen videos of so I need to rethink the places I've worked on so far. It will be much easier to create little rows of homes and shops, but that will work best at large, open settlements. I can't see this working as well at small places like Tenpines or weird layouts like Graygarden. The plots with built in piers could make it easier to level out a place like Graygarden though.

As a test I squeezed a home plot in next to the main Sanctuary house and it auto assigned it to Preston... who built a damned trailer on it.

My property values! :negative:

One thing that I've noticed is that you can build plots where they're sorta half hanging out of the settlement borders which helps a lot with regards to space and I think give the settlements a bit of a nice sprawling look. The place everywhere mod is a nice supplement so you don't have to go on a pixel hunting safari to find the right place to build. I'd also say that the farming plots probably shouldn't even be bothered with most of the time, they're super inefficient with regards to space and settler usage, even when fully upgraded.

My only real problem with the mod so far is that settlers sometimes become real dumb when you build more residential plots than there are settlers. You'll get guys who will select a plot, build a house, and then decide to use a different plot and sometimes this mess can go on for a while.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Yeah, those agricultural plots (at least at Level 1) are not worth it yet. I'm going to go knock-over the drive-in and use that as my real testing ground since there's so much space and that big puddle in the middle for water. A combination of plots and what simple structures I can make on my own could work well, like the shack I make for my salvage beacon desk. I laughed when I saw that the same person made that mod since it's so drat good. Clearing out Arcjet is much better when you can dump your mounds of swag into a container at the exit, go back for more loot and stuff it all into the same container along with a salvage beacon and BOOM all the stuff gets carted wherever you like.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Now that I've got my technical problems squared away I'm starting to make some decent progress learning how to build with the CK.

Here is what I've done so far. That strip of buildings between the two streets did not exist before, and I got around to making a better looking version of an over street building. So far I'm very pleased with my results, the area that I worked on usually clocked in at 30-40 FPS, and now most of it's at around 50-60 (this is while running the Creation Kit, which isn't exactly light weight). I can still make some additions and changes, and I'll likely fill up the rest of the grass strip and move some more junk walls in areas where multiple streets are visible.

After this area I'm going to give the spot between the Boston Public Library and the church to the north a go.

In other good news, it turns out that PreCombined meshes work like any others in the game, meaning that it's possible to only remake and use PreCombined meshes that contain mod edits. If all goes as well as I hope this redesign may only be around 5 GB, at most, for the whole city

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
For the people with the Settlement Sim mod: does it play nice with the other mods that expand what you can build?

On my main game I've got maybe three or four mods that add a ton of stuff to the build list, and while I want to try the Sim mod I don't want to spend hours fighting with the other ones too. I don't imagine that it would build anything from the expanded lists, but I also don't want to cause a ton of conflicts.

Regardless, something like this might make the whole "being a raider" thing feel less shallow since you're not attacking homesteads you've spent a ton of time building yourself.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The only bug I've encountered so far is that I wanted to move a plot, which means destroying it. The problem was that it would immediately rebuild on the exact same spot no matter what I did. Extensions like the Snap Build mod are working fine, the one that allows you to store power armor in the workshop and assign settlers to it still works, etc.

My experiment at the drive-in is going well. By using my meager skills to mix normal building with the Sim plots things are looking pretty good, certainly far more development and better looking than what I could ever manage on my own. Now instead of shying away from big settlements like Abernathy and the drive-in I can jump in and make something cool. The Snap Build "capsules" are just the right size to put two medium generators on the roof and use the inside as an office for the Salvage Beacons comm person. Snap Build also allows you to extend the capsules into connected clusters so it's easy to expand them.

I also have a mod that allows you to drop down a mat or chair that functions as a guard post. I made a ramshackle shelter at each end of the top of the drive-in screen, dropped a guard chair in each one and assigned the same settler to both of them. During his shift he wanders back and forth along the top of the screen with his sniper rifle, while a different settler handles things at ground level.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Does the sim mod care about Preston and entourage being ignored until level 35-ish? because gently caress them. even after i assign them all to stocks, they wander around like its all fun and games for them.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

NPCs are all the same with the exception of ones that can't be moved to other settlements or assigned to a supply line. I've pretty much abandoned Sanctuary in favor of the drive-in. I also have a mod that scatters recruitable settlers across the wasteland so between the beacon at Sanctuary and random encounters I don't need the original troupe for anything.

The mod's own "needs" systems wants settlers to have a home and a job. Just like with vanilla settlements you can completely ignore these things.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

staberind posted:

Does the sim mod care about Preston and entourage being ignored until level 35-ish? because gently caress them. even after i assign them all to stocks, they wander around like its all fun and games for them.

The holotape and the corresponding items are in the Museum of Freedom, but you can just console the holotape and items in. You can completely ignore the Minutemen.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

turn off the TV posted:

Now that I've got my technical problems squared away I'm starting to make some decent progress learning how to build with the CK.

Here is what I've done so far. That strip of buildings between the two streets did not exist before, and I got around to making a better looking version of an over street building. So far I'm very pleased with my results, the area that I worked on usually clocked in at 30-40 FPS, and now most of it's at around 50-60 (this is while running the Creation Kit, which isn't exactly light weight). I can still make some additions and changes, and I'll likely fill up the rest of the grass strip and move some more junk walls in areas where multiple streets are visible.

After this area I'm going to give the spot between the Boston Public Library and the church to the north a go.

In other good news, it turns out that PreCombined meshes work like any others in the game, meaning that it's possible to only remake and use PreCombined meshes that contain mod edits. If all goes as well as I hope this redesign may only be around 5 GB, at most, for the whole city

Just a suggestion, could you throw down some military walls and vehicles and crap to turn them into "checkpoint" blockades to keep more lore-friendly than buildings spanning the roads? Add some really tall sniper and Spotlight towers to block the view from both directions.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

TheCIASentMe posted:

Just a suggestion, could you throw down some military walls and vehicles and crap to turn them into "checkpoint" blockades to keep more lore-friendly than buildings spanning the roads? Add some really tall sniper and Spotlight towers to block the view from both directions.

I actually tried using ground level walls in that location first, but ran into the problem where they just couldn't be tall enough to work well without looking silly. The object that is blocking the road needed to be as tall as, or taller than, the structures on the other side.

While I don't want to do it very often in the historical area of the city, I can't think of a better solution than that. I'm trying to make the most limited edits possible for the sake of both file size and compatibility, so really shaking up terrain and redesigning vanilla buildings is something that I'd like to avoid as much as I can.

I may be able to just replace the building with some kind of brick archway, but I'm still not sure how I could get it tall enough without seeming really weird. I'm more than open to suggestions, though.

E: After giving it a little bit of thought, it would be pretty simple to design an arch that was wide enough to contain two layers of billboards on the top. There are billboard models that are around 1-2 stories, and I'm wanting a total height of 5 stories. With how large the car tunnels have to be that wouldn't look terribly strange.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 17, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Going to get back into fallout 4 and looking for what the must-have mods are these days, is there a recommended list besides the nexus top 100 I can browse?

Here is what I'm going with so far, tell me if I'm missing something obvious or I'm dumb for taking one of these.

Horizon
Unofficial patch.
Vivid landscapes and other vivids.
Full dialogue interface
Def UI
Sim Settlement
Immersive Vendors
Armorsmith
Truestorms
Legendary Overhaul.

Coming from oblivion and skyrim this list feels really short, what crazy stuff am I missing that might improve my game?
Also, is the script extender necessary?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 18, 2017

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Coming from oblivion and skyrim

Maybe reign in your expectations a tad. Oblivion's a decade old and Skyrim's half that.

But you might want to check in with the Horizon experts. I am not sure if the (brand new) Sim Settlements will play nice with it, considering it has some kind of settlement progression system in it.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The hunting shotgun is definitely mandatory. It's badass and it's crazy Bethesda didn't have a pump-action shotgun in the game at all. I'd also say binary speech checks is a no-brainer unless you like saving before every persuasion attempt. Bullet time is nice as well if you're like me and almost never use VATS but are a rabid jet fiend.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Sim Settlements modding toolkit has been released. Ironically, it doesn't have its own category on the Nexus like Settlement Transfer, despite having three or four times the endorsements.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22808/

Midnight Voyager posted:

Maybe reign in your expectations a tad. Oblivion's a decade old and Skyrim's half that.

But you might want to check in with the Horizon experts. I am not sure if the (brand new) Sim Settlements will play nice with it, considering it has some kind of settlement progression system in it.

Sim Settlements should kind of work with Horizon. He's going to have to mix and match the features added by both mods.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Is Fallout 4 - Texture Optimization Project worth getting if I'm already getting Vivid landscapes and Faraway area reform or would they not work well together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22823/ M150.

enjoy.
Also : fittingly enough, I have not once managed to get 100 happyness in a settlement. http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11134/ Time for a Happymaker.

staberind fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 18, 2017