Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Doing napkin math as this episode began, it looks like PRiS is gonna be at, like, 4AM my time. This sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm laughing like an idiot at twitch chat just yelling jojo references at each other for half of this episode

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Divatox is getting a call from the rest of the Carranger villains.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Chat's reaction to Metallosaurus: "This used to be a Serpenterra stream".

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Does Carlos ever start... emoting?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Chat's reaction to Metallosaurus: "This used to be a Serpenterra stream".

amazed you caught that between the endless divatox thirst

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Does Carlos ever start... emoting?

He flails like crazy in PrIS whenever he's forced to unmorphed, for what that's worth.

Seriously, he is a soccer player. Whenever that happens, the other Rangers are in pain... Carlos is in agony.

Unrelated, we all know Power Rangers is run by people who squeeze every penny to produce it; is the Sentai the same way?

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 18, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Carlos proudly beat school children in soccer as a scorer

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
The piranhatron theme is amazing.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

MisterBibs posted:

Unrelated, we all know Power Rangers is run by people who squeeze every penny to produce it; is the Sentai the same way?

The footage always looks six years older than the US footage even though it was produced just the year before. So that should tell you something.

Things got flashier by Time Force and Wild Force, and the footage no longer looks like a movie from 78 when it jumps to Japan. But honestly, that's kind of a part of the appeal for the Zordon Era set. Ive liked a couple Disney era seasons and am watching Ninja Steel, but it never feels like it's the same program as what's been on here because today's shows are so glossy and overproduced.

High definition does no favors either, but PR was very slow to adapt to it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

MisterBibs posted:

It's a Toei production so hahahahahaha gently caress no.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

there's pretty much no way toei could make sentai with anywhere near the level of stinginess that saban does; saban gets to cut a lot of corners through reusing another studio's footage and suits

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

for being the 'parody' sentai carranger had some sick as hell mecha designs

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Three things I've come to realize about this show. Sorry for effort-thinking about Turbo, but here we go.

1) Sorry to Blake Foster, but Justin basically ruins this show by himself. Everything after Tommy leaves is back on track and often funny, whether it's from Carranger or just Bulk and Skull doing their thing.
Justin can't be fixed, though. He's basically a power fantasy character for the children but he doesn't realize he's in a comedy. Nothing about him changed since Tommy left, whereas everyone else has changed.

Goodfellas Alpha is a pain in the rear end, but he's sort of a mockery of the Alpha you used to know, which keeps the theme of mockery of the genre. You can sort of live with Alpha 6. But you can't get over Justin because even when the focus is off him he's still basically a kid reading Billy's lines and you're supposed to be impressed with how smart and capable he is. It doesn't take.

2) Hillary Shepard Turner is known as The Boobs Lady in the movie, but because this is TV and she isn't pregnant her boobs aren't prominently in your face. She's actually very capable at reading the more comedic lines with a deadpan delivery. Carol Hoyt's Divatox, though initially met with "where did the cleavage go", is actually far more sexier than HST's. Hoyt Divatox will feel up a paper box containing tiny rangers while making vaguely sexual noises of satisfaction. Turner's Divatox is a great heir to something like Rita.

3) The Machine Empire had no Goldar/Rito/Ecliptor like figure. I think that's part of why people dislike them so much. It never feels personal, and they're largely limited to stock clips of them stomping around in their base. Zeo's second half has far more US shots of the machines, but none of them except Mondo and Gasket/Archerina are threatening.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I have to admit, that sequence (adapted from Carranger) was pretty cool.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

My main takeaway from Turbo is that I really need to watch Carranger.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Oh no robots, I don't work with one every day or anything.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I was totally still target audience for Power Rangers when Turbo was airing but still fell off (because Turbo sucks) but man that Turbo Megazord is still dope as hell. Right up there with the MMPR DinoMegazord and the Zeo Shapezord thing in terms of rad as gently caress designs.

e: and Justin can just gently caress right off

e: And Alpha 6 can gently caress off too

everything about Turbo, really

Sockser fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 18, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i must've missed this episode as a kid because carlos without a face would've traumatized the hell out of me

e: ahahaha this is some twilight zone poo poo

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Doc Morbid posted:

:yeah:

I can't wait for the official DVDs next month.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

i must've missed this episode as a kid because carlos without a face would've traumatized the hell out of me

e: ahahaha this is some twilight zone poo poo

This is about the only episode of Turbo I do remember because of that.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Doc Morbid posted:

I'm about halfway through Carranger. It is a bizarre and fun experience.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Yeah, okay

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
They're really burning through monsters fast. One monster was just a joke cameo, because the rangers had a big magnet pointed at Divatox's base and a metal monster came through the door and was immediately pulled away to his demise.

Also, in the most relevant edition of This loving Show:

quote:

Saban placed ads in the newspaper looking for four new Rangers, deciding to release Johnny Yong Bosch and Nakia Burrise as well. According to Bosch, the actors found out about their release when a makeup artist showed them the want ad for new Rangers.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
^ Yeah, I cropped that out of the interview I posted earlier.

quote:

17. What were the exact reasons why you, Nakia, Jason, and Catherine left the show (to put away the rumors of being fired for asking for more money and what not)?
SAG was crashing down on Saban pretty hard, which meant we would have to become SAG actors, which also meant they would have to pay us more. a few weeks later we found a casting call for new rangers in the newspaper. no one told us anything, so we decided that it was a good time to go. so basically the old producers of the show screwed us.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Pinwiz11 posted:

I can't wait for the official DVDs next month.
Region 1 only :saddowns:

To be fair, I doubt Super Sentai would have that much of an audience in Europe aside from extremely sad nerds like myself, so I can't really blame them for not releasing this stuff on R2 discs.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
BEES

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
"Bring me that nature boy!"

"WOOOOOOO!"

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 18, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
God, how many more.episodes of this crap are left? I just wanna hear that sweet rear end RANGERS...IN SPACE! opening

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Christ, this song is getting stuck in my head as much as the character's.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

God, how many more.episodes of this crap are left? I just wanna hear that sweet rear end RANGERS...IN SPACE! opening

turbo has 10 or 11 episodes left

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Oh my god Cassie sang a song that was just yelling "confusion" over and over. And then Adam did it through a nook battle, yelling into a microphone and tapping his feet to the beat while the mooks tried to kidnap Justin, and then they WON?

Chat:
"CONFUSION NotLikeThis"
"Not my Power Rangers"
"????????????????????????? WORST SEASON"

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I get that that's the joke in Carranger but drat, I thought it was the Dairanger director that hated mech fights? These are over instantly.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
So Cassie supposedly loves this dog... and I never saw it In Space.

e: this is rapidly approaching a beastiality episode.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 18, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

So Cassie supposedly loves this dog... and I never saw it In Space.

space is not a safe place for dogs

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This rear end in a top hat baseball player making GBS threads on TJ and his team of minorities... I didn't know Kirk Gibson appeared in an episode of Power Rangers.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

This sure is an episode, also chat appreciates the random Meanwhile back in japan footage.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Mar 18, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The monster didn't even get blown up, someone hit a random rear end solo dinger and he's as good as dead I guess.

TJ must stand for Tommy John because he just shortened that guy's career OHHHHHH

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Turbo's final two are starting up. In Space soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
For Power Rangers... this is kinda hosed up.