Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

dphi posted:

Going out to a restaurant with a pretty extensive whiskey menu tonight for my birthday. Prices are on the high side, but is there anything I should consider treating myself to a pour of? I lean towards ryes and sweeter/spicier bourbons, but mostly just looking for an excuse to try something I wouldn't otherwise.

Here's a page from their menu for reference:

2014 birthday Bourbon is priced okay and is only slightly worse than the 2012, which was one of my favs. If I was there, I'd probably get that, then follow it up with old medley til I left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
OF Birthday Bourbon is one of my all time favorite bottles.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Heh 1oz pours of Pappy 23 for $105. I mean that's basically market rate for a bottle right now, but lol.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

dphi posted:

Going out to a restaurant with a pretty extensive whiskey menu tonight for my birthday. Prices are on the high side, but is there anything I should consider treating myself to a pour of? I lean towards ryes and sweeter/spicier bourbons, but mostly just looking for an excuse to try something I wouldn't otherwise.

I like Noah's Mill a lot. Probably my favorite bottle at the moment.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Not to be that guy on St. Patrick's day, but what are the decent Irish whiskeys in the $20-40 range? I don't really want to do Jameson. Was thinking about a bottle of Red Breast or Green Spot, but they're a little more money than I'd like to spend right now, I think around $60 and $80 respectively.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Inspector 34 posted:

Not to be that guy on St. Patrick's day, but what are the decent Irish whiskeys in the $20-40 range? I don't really want to do Jameson. Was thinking about a bottle of Red Breast or Green Spot, but they're a little more money than I'd like to spend right now, I think around $60 and $80 respectively.

IMO, Bushmills' Black Bush is loving delicious.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Thanks! One of the local liquor stores here has endeavored to expand their selection of Scotch and Irish Whiskey to a ridiculous degree, so hopefully they'll have that in stock.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bushmill's single malt if you can swing it.

disclaimer: I know nothing of US liquor prices.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

dphi posted:

Ha, I live not too far from there. Appreciate the selection, but the copy on their menus if pretty cringeworthy

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Is that menu from Westgate in Beaverton, Oregon? That place is pretty drat good, just opened up a few months back and is pretty awesome, thought service is not as good as you'd hope when they get really busy.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Yeah it's the Westgate. Been there twice now and haven't been disappointed in the quality. Beers prices are crazy though.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Westgate is owned by the same guy who did Fireside a little further south off Hall Blvd. Westgate is good, but Fireside is just so much more relaxed and quiet with just as good food, but not a whiskey bar so selection is quite a bit more limited in that regard.

Went to Westgate on new years eve and my fiance got in an argument with some guy about how best to enjoy/appreciate a good whiskey. This guy's argument was basically, "I like to shoot it, so that's what I do, regardless of price point." She challenged him to prove the point so he ordered a shot of pappy 10yr and shot that. Then proceeded to order a round for the rest of us (the 2 of us and his friend). Dude was a little out there, but I guess more power to him if that's how he wants to spend his money and drink his booze. He also invited us out to sample some bottle of Baker's (I think he said it was the 2014 or 2016 bottling maybe?), which we declined as politely as possible.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Inspector 34 posted:

Knappouge Castle 14 is really good. It's like $85 Canadian. I can only imagine it being around $60 USD. 2 Gingers also isn't bad and more in the $30 CAD range.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Inspector 34 posted:

I'm a big fan of Powers and usually prefer it to Jameson. Tullamore Dew is pretty good, too.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

emotive posted:

I'm a big fan of Powers and usually prefer it to Jameson. Tullamore Dew is pretty good, too.

Powers is great. I think at one point it was the most popular whiskey in Ireland? Check out the nicer malts if you can - I had the Powers John Lane and Three Swallows and really enjoyed both.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I ended up getting Bushmills Black Bush and it's pretty drat good! Next time I'll try Powers or Tullamore Dew when I want something other than bourbon without spending scotch money.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Based on this thread, I might end up giving Tullamore Dew another shot. It was one of the first whiskies I ever tried, and I might not have been ready for it.

Damned if I didn't enjoy Redbreast, though.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
If you like grain whiskey (or just an easy drinker), I like Teeling Irish Whiskey.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

There's a Bushmills Steamship release that's just come out. It's from Oloroso casks and is ridiculously light and easy to drink.

I think it's Travel Retail only right now but may end up as a standard release eventually and is well worth a look if you spot it. Only 40% abv but you can't have everything I guess.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Anyone tried the Jameson Caskmates? Saw it in the store, and it seems like it could be a good gimmick.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Ben Nevis posted:

Anyone tried the Jameson Caskmates? Saw it in the store, and it seems like it could be a good gimmick.

I've had it a couple of times. It's tasty, but I don't know to what degree they mark up the bottle over regular Jameson. I'm from Michigan and saw the gimmick already from New Holland Brewing. I like how they're planning on some co-branded releases with the chosen breweries called out on the bottles. I know that Fat Head's Brewing in Ohio is in the 2017 round, depending on if the whiskey tastes okay coming out of the formerly-beer-barrels.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Lagavulin 16 is on sale locally for $42, and I'm seriously considering breaking my self-imposed 15 bottle limit.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

Lagavulin 16 is on sale locally for $42, and I'm seriously considering breaking my self-imposed 15 bottle limit.

Do it that's a steal.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I bought two bottles, because I have poor impulse control :homebrew:

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

KozmoNaut posted:

I bought two bottles, because I have poor impulse control :homebrew:

You chose wisely

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

KozmoNaut posted:

Good gawd. I can't even buy Highland Park for that anymore.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's usually around $65-75 here, I guess it's more expensive in the US?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
It's around $100 here in the US.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:stare:

That is pretty steep. It's a drat good whisky, but I wouldn't call it "$100 good".

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I'm still slowly nursing a bottle my folks brought back from a UK dutyfree.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I have no idea what Lagavulin costs here in NC it was $90 a bottle last time I bought it and that was years ago. The Republicans said they were going to privatize liquor sales but I guess they couldn't give up the revenue.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

drat. That's amazing. Cheapest I've ever seen is was $79. Where I am it sits at a respectable $140. My provincial liquor system marks up all scotch and hype liquor to insane levels, but leaves everything else more reasonable. They know exactly who to screw when it comes to maintaining revenue. I do love scotch, but have since began exploring Canadian and other whiskies extremely agressively. For the price of one good scotch I can get a few different bottles.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

No_talent posted:

drat. That's amazing. Cheapest I've ever seen is was $79. Where I am it sits at a respectable $140. My provincial liquor system marks up all scotch and hype liquor to insane levels, but leaves everything else more reasonable. They know exactly who to screw when it comes to maintaining revenue. I do love scotch, but have since began exploring Canadian and other whiskies extremely agressively. For the price of one good scotch I can get a few different bottles.

I'll second this. I've really grown to enjoy our domestic whisky selection. I'm actually surprised how much I enjoy the Canadian Club 100% Rye over a number of other whiskies. It's got a richness and spiciness that I just love. And it's a decent mixer, too.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Basically any Alberta Premium whiskey and any Canadian Club is realllly good value. I like that you can get a sherry cask, a 12 year, a legit rye, a sherried rye for under $28. I never feel bad when someone uses it in a cocktail, because hey, it's "the bottom shelf stuff". Look out for Canadian Club 20yr. It's listed at the LCBO for a solid $60, according to a pal of mine it's "WILDLY underpriced and underrated." I'm grabbing a bottle in AB next week to see how it fares against Canadian rockies 21, which is another insane $66 whiskey that really totes my goats. Lot 40 amd Forty Creek are also great value.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Few weeks back I grabbed a bottle of Goldschlager because I was in the mood for cinnamon but the alcohol content is too low for me, and it was giving me headaches, so this week I grabbed a bottle of Evan Williams Fire, 70 proof. This is my first cinnamon whiskey so I can't make a comparison but it scratches the cinnamon itch. A bit cloying, even more so than Goldschlager which surprised me but it's Evan Williams and liqueur so sweetness was expected. I'm kinda diggin' it. If they could bump it to 80 proof I think it would benefit tremendously.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

wormil posted:

Few weeks back I grabbed a bottle of Goldschlager because I was in the mood for cinnamon but the alcohol content is too low for me, and it was giving me headaches, so this week I grabbed a bottle of Evan Williams Fire, 70 proof. This is my first cinnamon whiskey so I can't make a comparison but it scratches the cinnamon itch. A bit cloying, even more so than Goldschlager which surprised me but it's Evan Williams and liqueur so sweetness was expected. I'm kinda diggin' it. If they could bump it to 80 proof I think it would benefit tremendously.

Getting lovely on Fireball may be lowbrow, but it holds fond memories for me and I'll never entirely give it up.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
For me it was beer when I was younger, whiskey when I got older, maybe a screwdriver once in awhile (it was the first mixed drink I ever had and I have a soft spot). For awhile I had a thing for Redbull drinks. Mock me all you want but after working long hours, a Redbull and something would make you feel like it was a new day.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

No_talent posted:

Basically any Alberta Premium whiskey and any Canadian Club is realllly good value. I like that you can get a sherry cask, a 12 year, a legit rye, a sherried rye for under $28. I never feel bad when someone uses it in a cocktail, because hey, it's "the bottom shelf stuff". Look out for Canadian Club 20yr. It's listed at the LCBO for a solid $60, according to a pal of mine it's "WILDLY underpriced and underrated." I'm grabbing a bottle in AB next week to see how it fares against Canadian rockies 21, which is another insane $66 whiskey that really totes my goats. Lot 40 amd Forty Creek are also great value.

Oh I forgot about CC's sherry cask. I can't seem to find it anywhere, though. I remember it being delicious.

Yeah, and Forty Creek Copper Pot is great, too. Really reminds me of chocolate.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
How's the CC 9 year? That's super reasonable at the local TW, but I haven't tried it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

I have't tried it yet. It's on the list of things to pick up. Looking for it in the liquor stores here in Western Canada so far has been futile. Not sure if it's an Eastern/Export bottle, but the LCBO has it listed. I've got a big backlog of unopened bottles that I need to go through anyways.