Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Hi all, if I may, I'd like to submit another question for "Ten for the Beerman"

Now that we know that worms will be in the game on planets I have a few questions for you,

First, if I walk without rhythm, will I still attract a worm?

Second, can I (and if so how do I) tame a worm to be my pet?

Third, if I do tame a worm, what ships can I fit it in? (can it ride on the out side of my ship?)

And finally fourth, if I can tame a worm as a pet and it can travel the 'verse with me, is it eligible to be part of my sataball team (recreational and/or professional?)

Thanks heaps, you are doing a great job and I can not wait till I receive my 'Shroud of the turin Roberts' in the mail (No rush though, I know Sandi has problems getting the dodgy Xi'an Chinese to fulfill you awesome physical merchandise, she is the best, whatever you are paying her she deserves more!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
This game pisses me off at a fundamental level. Not because it'll be poo poo, but because this thing got >130m, and noone is doing mah Freespace 3!

But yeah, I don't see how star citizen will release with what they promised.
I tend to not fund devs that promise new features as stretch goals. Extra content? Sure! New gameplay? eeeehh.
But Star Citizen got such a stupidly large amount of money, that it was tempting to believe that they could do it. And from what I remember there was a stretch a time when they had some names in management that worked on huge projects before. What happened to those people?

Kellanved fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 18, 2017

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

Kellanved posted:

This game pisses me off at a fundamental level. Not because it'll be poo poo, but because this thing got >130m, and noone is doing mah Freespace 3!

Isn't freespace open kinda like freespace 3? Actually meaning to try it, the B5 and BSG campaigns specifically.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009

Warhawk109 posted:

Isn't freespace open kinda like freespace 3? Actually meaning to try it, the B5 and BSG campaigns specifically.

FSO is an engine upgrade, and there are a lot of mods you can try. I really liked Blue planet as a FS2 continuation.
I go into a FS2 stage every couple of years, and it's still holding up.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Kellanved posted:

FSO is an engine upgrade, and there are a lot of mods you can try. I really liked Blue planet as a FS2 continuation.
I go into a FS2 stage every couple of years, and it's still holding up.

No one's make a better space combat game since, so that checks out.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

boviscopophobic posted:

[*]5,427 users played a total of 1,838 hours, for an average of 20.3 minutes per new user.

Great posts as always. Reading that line, I'm getting the feeling it will be difficult to play basketball with human players. Immersion is going to hell.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

Great posts as always. Reading that line, I'm getting the feeling it will be difficult to play basketball with human players. Immersion is going to hell.

Yah but playing with the NPC's is where the real fun is, they are not gonna drop from the game to pop down the shops to grab some KFC or have to go deal with their child who is crying. Those NPC charactors have true hoop dreams, they only do their in game jobs so the have the spare time to shoot some hoops ....... and if you are dumb enough to think that they have mo-cap all the moves .... WRONG! .... the A.I. is good enough to do what it as to do and come up with it's own moves/animation if that is what the NPC needs.

They do it because Chris Roberts is their God and it is what he would want.

Praise be the Thumb.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
So if all of these whales are "holding back" money until 3.0, and this is their big stand to hold cig "accountable," what happens if the cribblors shits out a patch next month and calls it 3.0? Having none of the features promised for 3.0, and largely unchanged from the current 2.x, will the whales blow their loads all over cribblits exclaiming how awesome the whole thing is? Will they give the con man more money without an honest evaluation of what they're actually getting? And if he doesn't deliver, how many of them will actually follow through and stop throwing money on the dumpster fire in protest? I'm guessing not a one of them. They'll find a way to rationalize that it's "good enough" and that cig is "showing good progress" and justify spending more money on jpegs.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Krycek posted:

So if all of these whales are "holding back" money until 3.0, and this is their big stand to hold cig "accountable," what happens if the cribblors shits out a patch next month and calls it 3.0? Having none of the features promised for 3.0, and largely unchanged from the current 2.x, will the whales blow their loads all over cribblits exclaiming how awesome the whole thing is? Will they give the con man more money without an honest evaluation of what they're actually getting? And if he doesn't deliver, how many of them will actually follow through and stop throwing money on the dumpster fire in protest? I'm guessing not a one of them. They'll find a way to rationalize that it's "good enough" and that cig is "showing good progress" and justify spending more money on jpegs.

Somebody asked Cymelion if he would still spend this held back money if 3.0 was not delivered as promised. He gave some stupid answer, as long as he can land on planets or something.

So he reads this list of features as follows:
Trading
Cargo Transport
Piracy and Smuggling
Mercenary
Bounty Hunter
Stanton System Roll Out
New Jpegs

edit: found it

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

big nipples big life posted:

lmao, that's some loving nerve right there

Well at least they kept it real and included the info that only the kickstarter was a success so far. Part of me wishes they had not though... leaving "Crowdfunding" out would make for a fitting abbreviated title

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
It's crazy. If you're sitting on 1k, go on a vacation or something.
But can anyone tell me how this game is in any way superior to... X3? You have trading, piracy, capships, production, modular stations in it. And it works. And it was programmed by a team of like 3 people.

e: Can someone tell me what they promised regarding AI? I'm not sure what people usually do in game AIs, but it's likely a shitload of scripts + some basic pattern recognition yes? I'm pretty sure that they keep it basic so it can still run real-time.
Current state of the art machine learning allows you to train networks that do all sorts of amazing things, classifying with high accuracy, generating data, etc. Haven't seen any works specifically on game AI though, but who knows? Even if they manage to adapts these networks and methods to their task, all that fancyness requires huuge amounts of training data and even worse it won't be real-time.

Kellanved fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 18, 2017

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Virtual Captain posted:

I'm the backer who never played Half-Life 2, Fallout New Vegas, or Skyrim. brb live-streaming tears of joy over Chris' demo stages.

I'm increasingly convinced that some of these ultra-fan backers haven't actually played any video games since the late 90s. There's no other explanation for them getting so excited over trivial poo poo that's been done a million times before....

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/MageRheon/status/843013222072537088

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/842997815915831297

quote:

Live Ops
A good portion of our early development and testing

Design
Since this is still in the early stages, Design outlined a basic structure

Art
The Environment team has continued with Squadron 42 work, but has also started early work on

VFX
The system is still incredibly early in its development and may change, but has been showing good progress.

Early days.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

quote:

One of Animation’s goals has been to create an entire eating experience for NPC characters at the Idris mess hall tables. The sequence begins with a character grabbing a tray and navigating to a table’s seat. Then, the character will sit, eat, drink, and perform any other actions. Finally, the character will stand with the tray in hand and navigate to the tray disposal. This exercise will actually incorporate almost all the departments and will answer a lot of questions about pushing the boundaries of natural NPC behavior

:allears:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Bet that visionary move was whispered in Chris' ear by Ben.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Daztek posted:

quote:

One of Animation’s goals has been to create an entire eating experience for NPC characters at the Idris mess hall tables. The sequence begins with a character grabbing a tray and navigating to a table’s seat. Then, the character will sit, eat, drink, and perform any other actions. Finally, the character will stand with the tray in hand and navigate to the tray disposal. This exercise will actually incorporate almost all the departments and will answer a lot of questions about pushing the boundaries of natural NPC behavior
:allears:

We already have the early implementation of the NPCs trying to figure out where to sit down and colliding on one another like clueless dummies.

I can't wait for the full blown fuckup that this scene will be as envisioned dreamed now, because of this apparently important AI feature for the gameplay.

But you know. Maybe they'll space the tables out some more, and hope it works out.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TacticalNecromancy posted:

Welp, I actually did something rare: poked around some of your videos there and peeked in at a DCS one and it turns out that is actually a fairly normal view from an A-10 or something. Apparently that cockpit style's in vogue.

I think I'm just too fond of the more open ED cockpits or the Ace Combat COFFIN style displays.

Yeah, there are various cockpit styles; some open, some not. But since I know that some people don't like that cramped look, that's why I put in the option of completely removing it. That game, Angle Of Attack, the companion air combat game to All Aspect Warfare, is on Steam.

Here are some more cockpit views from a few of the fighters in those games.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
I'm sitting on $1000 for when SC burns... I'll be spending it on scotch, cigars and a high quality lady of the night.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

VealCutlet posted:

I'm sitting on $1000 for when SC burns... I'll be spending it on scotch, cigars and a high quality lady of the night.

I'm going to miss this thread, it's been fun for years.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

VealCutlet posted:

I think you should increase that budget.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
CIG are pushing boundaries by maybe eventually having some NPCs shuffle through a scripted mess hall routine.

Rockstar was pushing more ambitious boundaries a decade ago, for gently caress's sake.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Chin posted:

CIG are pushing boundaries by maybe eventually having some NPCs shuffle through a scripted mess hall routine.

Rockstar was pushing more ambitious boundaries a decade ago, for gently caress's sake.

Yeah I just want to stop and take this in

The game is a shambling mess with maybe 0,1-0,5% of the basic gameplay elements and loops implemented, but they are spending massive effort on creating "advanced ai systems" making NPCs move about in a mess hall, probably for a scripted scene in SQ42 that you will see all of once as you pass by

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Chin posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_IV:_Oblivion
Release: March 20, 2006

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

This latest schedule report reads as something from year 1-2 of development, but here we are, in year 5

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Erenthal posted:

The game is a shambling mess with maybe 0,1-0,5% of the basic gameplay elements and loops implemented, but they are spending massive effort on creating "advanced ai systems" making NPCs move about in a mess hall, probably for a scripted scene in SQ42 that you will see all of once as you pass by

Isn't the Idris a ship you can buy? You can watch this on your Idris that you bought.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

D_Smart posted:

Here are some more cockpit views from a few of the fighters in those games.

Falcon 3.0 was a pretty good game in its day, agreed

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Erenthal posted:

a scripted scene in SQ42 that you will see all of once as you pass by

I don't think you fully understand the Crobbitz Magic. There is no way the player isn't locked into a first-person deathmarch into the mess hall, picking up a tray, getting various piles of intergalactic mystery slop piled onto it, finding a seat, and then watching their character eat for ~14 minutes, situated just within earshot of the Cool Kids Table, presided over by none other than Nayara "Pusher" Fell, as performed by the very talented Sandi Gardiner.

Then you clip through the hull, forcing you to cold reboot the machine and sit through the whole thing again.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Well, we all know that what's important in a spaceship game is hanging out in the mess hall watching NPC animations

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Daztek posted:

This latest schedule report reads as something from year 1-2 of development, but here we are, in year 5

MODS! FUD spreadin' goin' on here....

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

starkebn posted:

Well, we all know that what's important in a spaceship game is hanging out in the mess hall watching NPC animations

When did we first see the shoddy WIP animations of a bunch of yellow stick men bumbling around a table? 6 months ago? More?

And they are STILL working on this one loving thing?

Edit: Surprise Taxxe

smellmycheese fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 18, 2017

necroid
May 14, 2009

lol did they really do this? I haven't been watching the latest seasons

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

D_Smart posted:

I think you should increase that budget.

I live in Manila

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

starkebn posted:

I might be sharing too much about myself--but Beer Tapper and Dinner Dash are both lots of fun. To the best of my knowledge no one has even thought about adding a golf swing meter to them. The opportunity is ripe for a game designer extraordinaire... Just sayin'

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

VealCutlet posted:

All kidding aside, I am considering setting up a Goon victory celebration once the Towers of Crobberts falls. I am thinking something in the Keys with an open bar and some fishing charters and an effigy of Chris Roberts that we can drag around with us Weekend at Bernies style . Derek can be the guest of honor and take the first swing at it when we hang it like a pinata and live stream the whole loving thing.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

AP posted:

I'm going to miss this thread, it's been fun for years.

:same:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

VealCutlet posted:

You fool.
The rest of us will be mopping the floor on our USS Pussy Wagon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Erenthal posted:

You lack the vision to appreciate what Chris is trying to achieve.