Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Good morning sunshines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

my dog woke me up at 5:30 to pee

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Pro dog. Didn't wanna go in the house.

God, I feel like poo poo this morning. And, I didn't even go out last night!

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

swickles posted:

I begin Catholicism 101 tomorrow, anyone got any advice?

You don't get to sip the wine at mass more than once despite what rg3 might tell you

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

ZenVulgarity posted:

You don't get to sip the wine at mass more than once despite what rg3 might tell you

Outside of this, drinking is highly encouraged.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Kalli posted:

As someone who went to catholic schools from kindergarten through high school... any Catholic congregation worth its salt is 90% Bill & Ted. Just be excellent to each other.
uhhhh DISAGREE

https://twitter.com/EWErickson/status/842835996253274112

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

He's apparently a presbyterian. Which honestly is a bit surprising since presbyterian congregations tends to be more liberal then the Catholics, like they allow gay clergy.

American Catholics tend to be either in the more liberal states and/or Hispanic and not the loving horrific nightmares that make up the Christian Right that everyone loving loathes. Most of those are Southern Baptist.

The Catholics still tend to suck if you get the actual church involved though. Bunch of Penn State rear end trash fuckers there.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I grew up with that 10% and it was pretty awful.

Of actual church-going Catholics, I would assume the number is probably north of 50%.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

my mother was excommunicated for getting a divorce in the 1970s. so I guess she's doomed to hell

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ehud posted:

my dog woke me up at 5:30 to pee

Good dog

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Real tip for Catholic masses don't take the Christ Cracker if you aren't actually Catholic and don't know what to do.

My cousins husband for scolded for it once. They'll do a silly little blessing instead. You aren't missing anything, Christ is super bland.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Yeah Jesus doesn't give a poo poo if you eat a cracker or say 5 Hail Marys imo.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I was in a Catholic wedding and as an agnostic there is a ton of standing and sitting for some reason. I must not have embarrassed myself too bad because that friend invited me to stand in for his kids baptism when the Godfather couldn't make it. I got to reject Satan and all his glamours!

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I went to catholic school through high school and it probably depends on where you are, but 90% of us were just apathetic. I think it's a northeast mentality. Everyone believes and goes to church because they feel like they have to instead of actually being about that jesus.

I went to mass for the first time since high school at christmas (wife's mom is religious) and was kind of blown away how creepy and cultish it all seemed now that I've been divorced from belief for a long time.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpokuj_what-being-a-catholic-means_fun

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Spoeank posted:

Real tip for Catholic masses don't take the Christ Cracker if you aren't actually Catholic and don't know what to do.

My cousins husband for scolded for it once. They'll do a silly little blessing instead. You aren't missing anything, Christ is super bland.

I love the Christ crackers

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
until I got first communion, I was super jealous of everyone who got a snack at the end of mass

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Here's a question for you Catholics out there, is it usually super informal? When my wife makes us go it doesn't really matter if you just show up in jeans and a sweatshirt or whatever, and I was brought up in an Episcopalian church where you're in a slacks and a nice sweater if not an outright suit and tie, so the casual nature was kind of jarring.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I woke up at 6am to climb 47 stories in full firefighting turnout gear. I apparently want death.

Also go the loving Badgers.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Febreeze posted:

I went to catholic school through high school and it probably depends on where you are, but 90% of us were just apathetic. I think it's a northeast mentality. Everyone believes and goes to church because they feel like they have to instead of actually being about that jesus.

Same deal for me in the midwest, but hooooly poo poo were those 10% all about the subjugation of women.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

swickles posted:

I begin Catholicism 101 tomorrow, anyone got any advice?

being catholic is cool

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Thaddius the Large posted:

Here's a question for you Catholics out there, is it usually super informal? When my wife makes us go it doesn't really matter if you just show up in jeans and a sweatshirt or whatever, and I was brought up in an Episcopalian church where you're in a slacks and a nice sweater if not an outright suit and tie, so the casual nature was kind of jarring.

Just don't dress like a slob.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
I got in something resembling a fight at bar close with this loving dude who kept grabbing and trying to kiss my friend. Now my ladyfriend is mad at me because she thinks I'm interested in this friend and not just being a decent person. anyway, I'm day drunk and I have to go work again tonight. Happy holidays, I hate everything.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
u ok bud?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I got in something resembling a fight at bar close with this loving dude who kept grabbing and trying to kiss my friend. Now my ladyfriend is mad at me because she thinks I'm interested in this friend and not just being a decent person. anyway, I'm day drunk and I have to go work again tonight. Happy holidays, I hate everything.

You should tell your ladyfriend you're not interested because the other girl's butt is too firm and perfect and she likes all your stories.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Big thanks to whatever goon it was that recommended chanko nabe a week or two back, just made it for dinner and it was goddamn delicious, highly recommended.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
that goon would be shoah nuff

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Had dinner with some older spaniard and he gave me a tip on a diskothek in walking distance. Went there and stayed until it closed at 5am so now I'm dead but trying to make myself go out today

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

schweens posted:

I want to second the notion from the N/V thread that the Oblongs was an underrated show

The scene with Bob playing the piano at the parent/teacher meeting is the best thing in the entire series.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

186 posted:

I woke up at 6am to climb 47 stories in full firefighting turnout gear. I apparently want death.

Also go the loving Badgers.

I did a climb up and down a hill on 9/11 that was supposed to be roughly equivalent to going up 44 stories. Was so gassed that I felt like I was driving drunk afterwards, and that was only wearing light gym gear. Can't imagine doing that in a firefighter's rig. Props to you.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Every year on 9/11 the some guy from the fire department goes to this local mom and pop gym and does the stairmaster for the height of the towers in full gear. There is no fanfare or announcement, but gym goers literally stopped midroutine to watch with awe.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
My parents are super liberal atheists so I never went to church. The first time was after a sleep over at a catholic friends house. We went to a church and there is an enormous, super graphic, tortured jesus crucifix on the wall. I'm just staring at it and this old dude squats down to get his face real close and says "You did this. You did this to Jesus."

I was 10.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
The National Fallen Firefighters Association does a thing every year around 9/11 that equates to about 110 floors for charity (not a race or officially times). I did the one in Lambeau Field the last two years that have you go up and down the steps around the entire bowl in gear. It took me around 2 hours.

Some dudes finished it, same gear, in under an hour :stare:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

My parents are super liberal atheists so I never went to church. The first time was after a sleep over at a catholic friends house. We went to a church and there is an enormous, super graphic, tortured jesus crucifix on the wall. I'm just staring at it and this old dude squats down to get his face real close and says "You did this. You did this to Jesus."

I was 10.

way to go Judas you rear end!!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I was 10.

TBF, kind of dickish of you to wear a toga to church.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I was 10.

This kind of reminds me of a scene out of Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon. Basically a Japanese soldier in WW2 is injured and captured. While recovering in a convent in the Philippines, he sees a crucifix above his bed and its the only thing to look at. He spoke English, but had limited cultural knowledge of the west, so eventually came to the conclusion that INRI must stand for Initiate Nail Removal Immediately.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I grew up in Rhode Island, so I thought it stood for In Rhode Island.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
What's up with Rhode Island's ugly rear end flag?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I was 10.

he was right tho?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I was 10.

What'd you wear a yarmulke?

• Locked thread