Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Elyv posted:

Yes, but those were two color. These are monocolor and therefore remind me more of the vertical monored cycle in Planar Chaos (Dead//Gone, Rough//Tumble, Boom//Bust). Planar Chaos was ordered in a weird way and the split cards are after the regular red spells but before the colorshifted ones, but still clearly in the red part of the numbers. I guess that wotc probably doesn't see that as precedent, though.

We might get multicolor cards like that, so they could have just lumped them all with the multis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I like the possibility of a decent wrath again.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

I like the possibility of a decent wrath again.

i think if you look at the creatures played in standard you will suddenly be depressed by how little it kills

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

UberJew posted:

i think if you look at the creatures played in standard you will suddenly be depressed by how little it kills

But it kills Gideon, Heart of Kiran, and Scrapheap Scrounger! :v:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

UberJew posted:

Yeah it's mostly 2 power dudes and vehicles...

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

suicidesteve posted:

But it kills Gideon, Heart of Kiran, and Scrapheap Scrounger! :v:

don't forget toolcraft exemplar and walking ballista :pseudo:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If it were instant it would be great in this standard. Alas...

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
If it were actually a good wrath it'd just go in Mardu sideboards for the mirror anyway.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Things I like in Magic cards; flavor text and good art.

Things that flip cards can never have; flavor text and good art.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Split cards look pretty cool. These new style looks like miscut magic cards.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I feel like the design of the new split cards will be vindicated by gameplay. Seems like it'll look good both in hand and in graveyard.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Mechanics along these lines (letting you re-use cards sitting in the graveyard), have tended to create great standard formats in the past, so maybe standard will be good again with these? At the least it should push the power more towards spells over creatures again, which I think is needed right now for sure. I think the design looks fine, to be honest. It's a bit jarring, but seems quite functional in that it lets you easily see that you have something castable in the graveyard. Removing memory gotchas is a good thing.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

Those perpendicular split cards are definitely weird enough to lend credence to theory #2

yeah i think you're on the money there, and i think that the design of this card is neat so i'm optimistic that they'll execute on the rest pretty well

i hope there's a cycle of multicolored ones (like black on one half, white on the other)

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

In the three block days, they would have saved the two color flashback remix cards for set three. Now who knows what they'll do with a crazy mechanic.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Wonder how often people will lampshade having one of those by tilting their head. Interesting design and could really make a white weenie deck.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

AlternateNu posted:

Don't worry. My box was garbo. My mythics were the 2 miracles, Olivia, and a foil Voice. The only other cards of value were a Tarn and a Mesa. :shrug:

That mostly came from a place of "look at all those fetchlands that I need!", I didn't buy a box and I think I may have had the best pulls in my draft last night, at least in my pod.

At least I'll be able to get those fetches for cheap over the next few months.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

BizarroAzrael posted:

Wonder how often people will lampshade having one of those by tilting their head. Interesting design and could really make a white weenie deck.
Lots, especially at the prerelease. I kinda like how if you keep your graveyard on the right like most people then you just have to turn your head and the relevant half is sort of oriented correctly.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Played my first FNM last night in 8-10 years and had a great time like I thought I would. Of course I didn't win a match, but it was cool to see the excitement of a FNM still exists.

Everything I've bought over the last week was STD legal, but I saw a lot of guys having fun with the Modern draft last night. People that have advised me about getting back into Magic suggested I start with STD. I did, and it's been sweet.

But would it be smart for me to invest in some of this new Modern Masters product? Awfully expensive, but is the playability value of the cards make spending that money worth it? Especially considering I'm just getting back into playing again. Basically, would it be smarter to keep my money in the STD sets or invest in some MM as well?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Remember that dumb Hero's Blade deck I made a couple standards ago? I want to do a modern one now with Zurgo, Kari Zev, Kytheon, Thalia, Sram, and maybe even a Hope of Ghirapur or two. :v: Just give it a standard R/W prison package after the creatures + 4 x Blades.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Subways Jared posted:

Played my first FNM last night in 8-10 years and had a great time like I thought I would. Of course I didn't win a match, but it was cool to see the excitement of a FNM still exists.

Everything I've bought over the last week was STD legal, but I saw a lot of guys having fun with the Modern draft last night. People that have advised me about getting back into Magic suggested I start with STD. I did, and it's been sweet.

But would it be smart for me to invest in some of this new Modern Masters product? Awfully expensive, but is the playability value of the cards make spending that money worth it? Especially considering I'm just getting back into playing again. Basically, would it be smarter to keep my money in the STD sets or invest in some MM as well?

Modern is always a safer investment, but buy singles and not packs.

STD is cheaper short term, but cards that are 20 dollars in standard season can become worthless as soon as they rotate. You don't really have to worry about that with Modern.

You are also choosing a good time to get into modern, because you can buy the enemy fetch lands for cheap, which you will use in pretty much all of the decks.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
MM3 is a really fun format. I drafted a sweet BUG mystical teachings/flicker deck and won my FNM. It was by far the grindiest draft deck I've ever played; at one point I had to discard one of my three agony warps to hand size.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Depends what appeals to you. Modern is expensive but prices are down and you don't have to deal with rotation.

Buy singles though

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

torsoboy posted:

Reading this card gets me tilted.

I know it was last page but I just wanted to give a shout out to this.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Ayyy mcmagic look at me go I'm playing Delver in Modern like I just don't care

Delvering Souls
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Snapcaster Mage
2 Monastery Mentor
2 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
1 Gurmag Angler

4 Lingering Souls
1 Liliana, the Last Hope

3 Serum Visions
4 Thought Scour

3 Fatal Push
2 Path to Exile
1 Thoughtsieze
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Collective Brutality
1 Anguished Unmaking

2 Remand
1 Mana Tithe
2 Spell Snare

4 Polluted Delta
4 Marsh Flats
1 Flooded Strand
1 Concealed Courtyard
1 Darkslick Shores
2 Watery Grave
1 Godless Shrine
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Island
1 Swamp
1 Mountain
1 Vault of the Archangel

SIDEBOARD
2 Stony Silence
1 Mindbreak Trap
2 Relic of Progenitus
1 Countersquall
1 Collective Brutality
2 Thoughtsieze
1 Path to Exile
2 Supreme Verdict
1 Engineered Explosives
2 Fragmentize

Posted this a couple days ago but after a little refining and some testing, I'm pleasantly surprised to find that this pile actually has respectable game against the field. I managed to win Modern FNM yesterday with it

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sit on my Facebook posted:

Ayyy mcmagic look at me go I'm playing Delver in Modern like I just don't care

Posted this a couple days ago but after a little refining and some testing, I'm pleasantly surprised to find that this pile actually has respectable game against the field. I managed to win Modern FNM yesterday with it

This is spicy.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Don't tell the new guy to buy modern you bozos.

Put a cheap standard deck together to see if you enjoy constructed. Play a bunch of drafts for zero investment. Play at different stores and get a feel for their vibes. But most importantly find some people you enjoy hanging out and playing with. Maybe try borrowing their constructed decks for an event to see how you enjoy other playstyles.

Don't get hung up on what's the best value or whatever. Without fun people I guarantee you'll drop the hobby otherwise.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Don't tell the new guy to buy modern you bozos.

Put a cheap standard deck together to see if you enjoy constructed. Play a bunch of drafts for zero investment. Play at different stores and get a feel for their vibes. But most importantly find some people you enjoy hanging out and playing with. Maybe try borrowing their constructed decks for an event to see how you enjoy other playstyles.

Don't get hung up on what's the best value or whatever. Without fun people I guarantee you'll drop the hobby otherwise.

You can put modern together for just as cheap as you can standard so :allears:

Probably more people playing it wherever he goes too.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Would anything break if they changed the comprehensive rules to allow for back face cards to be in the yard, then just make consequence cards DFCs with "Consequence-if this card would be put into the GY from anywhere, transform it then in it"

Insectile aberration turning back into a scientist when it dies feels weird anyway

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Boxman posted:

Would anything break if they changed the comprehensive rules to allow for back face cards to be in the yard, then just make consequence cards DFCs with "Consequence-if this card would be put into the GY from anywhere, transform it then in it"

nothing would break per se but it would lead to a lot of having to take the card out the sleeve and flip it which is kinda unwieldy if a deck emerges that uses a ton of these things

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Subways Jared posted:

If you are thinking you'll.be playing modern in a year or two, this is exactly the time to buy playsets of all the enemy fetches that were reprinted in MM17 if you have that kind of cash floating around. In about a week or two we will see the bottom of their pricing and a year from now they will have held or gained. At that time you can ditch the ones you won't use for modern cards you will use.

The same goes for Tarmogoyf and Lilliana right now. They will be solid pickups that are unlikely to move down in price.

Of course buying all of that is going to be about a grand right now. But you are very unlikely to lose value.

Keep in mind cashing out will be about a 12% loss so unless they gain 12% you will lose a few percentage points if you are cashing. If you are trading them, you can typically trade single high value cards into more than their value of low dollar cards, ie, trade a $120 goyf into $140 worth of $10-$20 cards if you are making real life trades and not using a third party valuation trading service like pucatrades

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Some of the folks at my LGS got their boxes today and we did some drafting. It was fun.

I want to share with you the most enjoyable moment out of the entire thing - In the second draft, I am playing Abzan tokens. The board is stalled into oblivion by both me and the opponent. I have a Wayfaring Temple with a Gift of Orzhova and an Unflinching Courage on it. My opponent had just stolen it with Soul Ransom on his turn. I untap and draw Grisly Spectacle, which I kill the Wayfaring Temple with, decking my opponent for 15 cards and winning the game. It was fun!

But yeah, format looks really fun and enjoyable, too bad it's so drat expensive to a just draft it normally (that and everyone just taking the money cards and loving up signaling all around. In these drafts, since the cards were already spoken for, we had stuff like fetchlands wheeling around the table, until someone finally decides to pick it up, because why not)

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Walked posted:

Buy singles though

The #1 piece of advice that you should be told before you even learn the rules.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Drafted mm17 today and it was a ton of fun, both the draft and games. No money pulls but I drafted a sacrifice themed RBg kinda aggro deck and grinding value out of sacrificing creatures is just the best. Split in the finals and my final prize pack had a foil PtE and Damnation :toot:

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Drafted some MM3 at a win a box tournament. Went Bant flicker, with a Craterhoof finisher. It was either get a fast beatdown going with some Splicers and a little ramp, or ramp and draw / durdle until I could cast the Craterhoof.

I actually killed a LOT of people with Craterhoof, which is awesome.

The not so awesome part was at 3-0 the guy decided that we would only play one more round and based off of win percentages the top 2 people would play, and if they managed to draw, the 3 and 4 people would be playing for the box. I was 5th by win percentage.

So, I am pretty not-happy and won't be attending any more of that store's events. Fortunately there's a ton of places where I live so I am not at a loss.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

En Fuego posted:

Drafted some MM3 at a win a box tournament. Went Bant flicker, with a Craterhoof finisher. It was either get a fast beatdown going with some Splicers and a little ramp, or ramp and draw / durdle until I could cast the Craterhoof.

I actually killed a LOT of people with Craterhoof, which is awesome.

The not so awesome part was at 3-0 the guy decided that we would only play one more round and based off of win percentages the top 2 people would play, and if they managed to draw, the 3 and 4 people would be playing for the box. I was 5th by win percentage.

So, I am pretty not-happy and won't be attending any more of that store's events. Fortunately there's a ton of places where I live so I am not at a loss.

Yeah you got hosed. Dumbest last minute decision ever for a tournament and I would definitely never play there again.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That's really hosed up (and cross-pod play in a draft tournament is also really hosed up even if you had been able to play for the box). It should have been obvious beforehand that some better way of distinguishing between people who won their pod was going to be needed. (Unless this TO thought they were only going to get 8 people to show up for a win-a-box)

What should have happened was the top 8 (all the 3-0s, and maybe some of the 2-1s depending on how many pods there were) do another draft, and the winner of that draft pod gets the box. Entry fees should have increased to account for now handing out two boxes worth of packs in addition to the initial draft.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Out of 2 drafts and 8 prize packs I now have 3 Marsh Flats :toot:

Too bad Junk has a bunch of other expensive bits. I might actually go for it now, though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

Out of 2 drafts and 8 prize packs I now have 3 Marsh Flats :toot:

Too bad Junk has a bunch of other expensive bits. I might actually go for it now, though.

B/w tokens

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Sickening posted:

B/w tokens

The Esper Delver list I just posted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

sit on my Facebook posted:

The Esper Delver list I just posted

Also this. Marsh flats is the cheapest fetch from this set but it's in a lot of decks.

• Locked thread