Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i think the lil' unicorn guy is alright but if that one evolution is indicative of them both i wish he was just a single stage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

mandatory lesbian posted:

i think the lil' unicorn guy is alright but if that one evolution is indicative of them both i wish he was just a single stage

That evolution isn't any worse than most of the recent designs.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tengen toppacorn is bad tho
And pokemon designs are getting any worse really. Theyre just getting more abstract.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 18, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

That evolution isn't any worse than most of the recent designs.

i'm not entirely sure how thats relevant since i only compared it to its evolutions, unless you mean you think this

is equally as bad as minicorn, which i have to disagree with strongly

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oblivicorn kind of looks like a Digimon, which isn't necessarily a bad thing? There have been Pokemon that look like Digimon since Gen 3.

I mean, I don't like it, but I can see why people do.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i'm not entirely sure how thats relevant since i only compared it to its evolutions, unless you mean you think this

is equally as bad as minicorn, which i have to disagree with strongly

No, I don't think that Shadow the Hedgehorse is better than the pink unicorn thing, but as far as terrible designs go I think that it's still a step above a key chain.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh God, anything but the "the new Gen of Pokemon look like poo poo/every Gen has bad designs" argument again, please.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the key chain is one of the best designs tho!????!?!?!?!!!!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
!!!!?!?!?!?????!!?!?!?!!??!?!

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

!!!!?!?!?!?????!!?!?!?!!??!?!

I hope you don't also like Klinklingklangklang

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

freshlybaked posted:

Hey, it's a good sweeper in NU. :shrug:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

freshlybaked posted:

the idea of klingklang is better then the execution, i'll grant you that

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

freshlybaked posted:

:getout:

I wish Klingklang had better type coverage, but it's a neat concept, executed well, and of a piece with Gen V's entire design aesthetic. Contrast to Uranium, which does not have a coherent design aesthetic, probably because there wasn't a quality control group, or one guy who just had the ability to say NO to anything and kick it back down to be refined or scrapped.

Klefki also owns. It's a perfect representation of what Fairy type can be. It's weird, sort of cute, and very mischievous.

on the subject of unicorn Pokemon, I want to see a Dark type one that just looks like a traditional unicorn, except its eyes sometimes glow red. And its Pokedex entry says it lures people in by being charming and cute, and then BRUTALLY ATTACKS THEM. just a douchebag unicorn, is what I want.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Some people just don't like object pokemon and that's okay.

(these people are wrong)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

PMush Perfect posted:

Oh God, anything but the "the new Gen of Pokemon look like poo poo/every Gen has bad designs" argument again, please.

Every gen has bad designs in their own, unique ways. The Hedgehorse looks bad in the same overly busy way that recent generations do.

the key chain is one of the best designs tho!????!?!?!?!!!!

I have never liked any of the weird, inanimate object designs.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ZeroCount posted:

:agreed: Like, as long as you don't ascribe it to "this only happened in newer gens", it's okay if not every pokémon tickles your fancy.

However, even the unpopular ones are polished and gone over in design again and again, in modern games, designed and redesigned and yes, in a lot of cases, overdesigned. They probably would have done that in Gen 1 if they expected the game to sell, at that, but they were held back pretty strictly by their technology then anyway.

I want to know how many redesigns and/or revisions Garlikid went through; I bet it's less than five. They thought "garlic" + "superhero" and then just threw something together they thought fit that. In turn we got One Punch Meditite.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ZeroCount posted:

(these people are wrong)

chandelure is top tier

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Manatee Cannon posted:

chandelure is top tier

It can't hold a torch to the garbage bag one.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

You know what, I can't judge because I like Golurk who is essentially just a robot anyway. I'll argue against Klefki being either cute or mischievous though. It's face carries no expression nor personality, and I keep wanting to use it to unlock my door

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
Object pokemon are cooler because they demand more attention to design in order to present them as living things, tend to have interesting backstories (Grimer are created by moon X rays wtf), and are often steel, poison or ghost types, all of which are top tier cool according to my inner child.

Cartoonifying some random animal straight-up is both lazier and less interesting than a set of living gears that grow by becoming a progressively more complex system imo. Pokemon should be weird and interesting, not literally just poo poo I see in a zoo.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
The problem with a pokemon made of constantly moving gears is how do you even pet that kind of thing?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Classy Hydra posted:

Object pokemon are cooler because they demand more attention to design in order to present them as living things, tend to have interesting backstories (Grimer are created by moon X rays wtf), and are often steel, poison or ghost types, all of which are top tier cool according to my inner child.

Cartoonifying some random animal straight-up is both lazier and less interesting than a set of living gears that grow by becoming a progressively more complex system imo. Pokemon should be weird and interesting, not literally just poo poo I see in a zoo.

animals are cool, actually

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You feed it a Pokepuff and tell it you love it.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Dragonwagon posted:

The problem with a pokemon made of constantly moving gears is how do you even pet that kind of thing?

Press your fingers to the face side and let it run itself under your hand forever

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah I mean it's clearly got two smooth sides, I don't see the problem.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

animals are cool, actually

We have two separate pokemon based on ferrets. They don't even have a gimmick, they're just ferrets. One might be a polecat.

Animals have gone too far.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Classy Hydra posted:

We have two separate pokemon based on ferrets. They don't even have a gimmick, they're just ferrets. One might be a polecat.

I feel like regional forms are a pretty cool solution for this, and wouldn't mind it if the next games started focusing on them more.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Classy Hydra posted:

Personally, my problem really lies in the designs of object Pokemon, rather than the concept. The Beldum line all look really cool and distinct, and Garbodor is a walking garbish monster with a funny expression.

Klink on the other hand is literally just gears with painted on face (I say painted on because it doesn't move), and it's evolutions are just more objects slapped on it. Even something like Roggenrolla line and Vanillish is more interesting than that because it's at least more than 'just a rock and ice cream'.

Maybe I'm also sour because Digimon had a better gear monster design that's way older too.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Classy Hydra posted:

And yet we still don't have a dolphin! Gamefreak! :argh:

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Someone tell me if Uranium provides us a dolphin.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dragonwagon posted:

Similar question of how you pet Grimer, Muk, or any flavor of pokemon that's on fire or constantly sparking. Some pokemon need PPE to interact with.

Does klinklang have a proper lock out tag out procedure?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

kyogre is an orca, which is basically just a big dolphin

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Pokemon Amie solves all petting questions and very important ones like "does this pokemon give high fives"

Dirk the Average posted:

Does klinklang have a proper lock out tag out procedure?
Yeah you first fight a fire type.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
please make sure klingklang is off and de-engergized before petting. always tell klingklang's operator before doing any petting.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

freshlybaked posted:

Maybe I'm also sour because Digimon had a better gear monster design that's way older too.

I was so stoked that I could start with a Hagurumon in Cyber Sleuth. Never even looked the other options over, they've had their turns being main characters. Palmon and Terriermon have had their turn being the hero, it's the dumb gear's turn, and Clockmon was awesome... amazing... stupendous! well he was cool I guess..

(That was a joke about Clockmon's speech patterns in series 3 BTW)

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

BioEnchanted posted:

I was so stoked that I could start with a Hagurumon in Cyber Sleuth. Never even looked the other options over, they've had their turns being main characters. Palmon and Terriermon have had their turn being the hero, it's the dumb gear's turn, and Clockmon was awesome... amazing... stupendous! well he was cool I guess..

(That was a joke about Clockmon's speech patterns in series 3 BTW)

Hagurumon is on the digivolution path to being a goddamn cyborg dragon powered by pure evil, what's not to love?

Also a Kamen Rider, but eh :v:

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 18, 2017

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

BioEnchanted posted:

I was so stoked that I could start with a Hagurumon in Cyber Sleuth.

:agreed: Hagurumon holds a special place in my heart.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
We've seen 49 of the 168 new designs for Uranium, by the way.

One of those is Palij which I think I glossed over technically having as part of the photographer's requests.

Middle bird. Meh.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

One of those is Palij which I think I glossed over technically having as part of the photographer's requests.

Middle bird. Meh.

It looks like a Ho-Oh prevolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Middle bird. Meh.

Could be much worse.

• Locked thread