Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Has someone been oiling down this ball pre-match?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Tyma posted:

Who was Man Of The Match?

That sneaky French doctor.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I can see that he didn't want to end the match with a penalty try but had France lost that would have been very unfair

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Aramoro posted:

I can see that he didn't want to end the match with a penalty try but had France lost that would have been very unfair

Eh, to be honest they hosed up so many chances they'd only have themselves to blame if they lost.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Goodbye, Kirk bumming Spock.

Hello, Haskell and suddenly Laidlaw.

:toxx: fulfilled, will keep this monstrosity until the conclusion of the Rugby Championship.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 18, 2017

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Good optimisation there from the gif maker.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Tyma posted:

Who was Man Of The Match?

The timekeeper

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
England's key skill of injuring the oppositions best players is going well I see.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Doing it early as well.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Seems like England's shirts are a bit tight around the throat today.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
Love the fact the Welsh are already bitching about the HIA...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/rugby-union/38321007

quote:

Dr Malcolm Harvey: The ramifications of that suspect French HIA may be quite far reaching... made the end of the game an absolute farce.

Wally: Barnes needs reassessing after this performance lost control and out of his depth.

Simon: HIA for a shoulder injury, constant penalties for French players standing up in the scrum first. a ''self inflicted'' bite..

quote:

Wales captain Alun Wyn Jones on BBC One:

"Amusement that we got to 100 minutes on the clock.

"It was an interesting decision that their tighthead went off after 90 mins. There will have to be someone looking at that. The technical officials will have to review that.

"The penalties were the crutch that got them there in the end.

"But it's irrelevant what happened at the end there.

"Two wins from five matches is not good enough. We felt we deserved more today and felt we did enough in the 80 minutes to win the game."
To be fair the Welsh players said "You Can't say its cheating" but you need to talk to the officials about what happened on the sidelines

When Barnes simply asked what is the problem... When he is told HIA he has no choice...

Have the French borrowed the Italian back room staff?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
The HIA was dodgy because the player was complaining about a sore back before he was taken off.

The big issue is the knock on effects this could have if the French were full of poo poo. Don't want another blood gate fiasco surrounding head injuries.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

Vaders Jester posted:

The HIA was dodgy because the player was complaining about a sore back before he was taken off.

The big issue is the knock on effects this could have if the French were full of poo poo. Don't want another blood gate fiasco surrounding head injuries.

No arguments there, but to blame the Ref for following the laws they brought in after the last batch of complaints...

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

hjp766 posted:

No arguments there, but to blame the Ref for following the laws they brought in after the last batch of complaints...

Aye, Barnes' hands are tied as soon as the doctor says HIA, not much he can do about that. The rest of it was a mess of over officiating the game to death.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Whatever France attribute the HIA to must have happened long before the 80th minute. They already had their original Prop warmied up and ready to come on.

Evil Doctor's exact explanation was "I saw him out of shot, and I saw him not moving".

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Exactly. What was Barnes meant to do? Everything there was by the book, and after the 80th minute, the ball was kept alive by constant Welsh infringement. Blame the French for gaming the rules, blame the Welsh for being undisciplined fucks. Don't blame Barnes for following the letter of the law.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The doctor didn't even seem certain what he was there for until he was pressed. The game just got out of control. Barnes refused to award a penalty try like he would be fined for it, he didn't know what his 4th official was on about, the sideline teams didn't seem to know who was off for injury and who was a tactical sub, they didn't seem to know who was a designated front row, every time they reset the scrum a dozen support staff would run onto the field and hold poo poo up for thirty seconds until they were shoo'd away.

It was a complete gently caress up of game management.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Is there a reason that ITV never show the view of a penalty/conversion from behind the kicker?

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
Reminded me of the farce that ensued when as a referee of the round ball game I had to explain how although it was a penalty and a yellow card, when the bloke who won the penalty decided to kick the guy who fouled him. He won a red card too.

As referees of any sport we have to apply the laws, however whacky they may be

hjp766 fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 18, 2017

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

This is looking like the England of old that doesn't know what to do if a side can front up against their forwards.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Oh my god, the Press Conferences :

Guy Noves posted:

They told me he was injured so I had to do my responsibilities. I don’t really know how he is right now. We’ll do a medical check up obviously. If the injury is not life-threatening we want to celebrate.

Lions Manager Rob Howley posted:

What happened in the last moments of that game, shouldn’t ever happen again.Warming up prior to him going back on. One of the coaches had a word with their doctor and within a minute of that their tighthead went off. The integrity of the game has been brought into disrepute.

I’ve spoken to John Davies on the Six Nations committee, been in to see Wayne. We’ll look over the whole footage. The third camera, it’s pretty obvious what happened. Someone has come outside the technical area and the doctor has gone onto the field. That’s outside the laws of the game. You can hear Wayne Barnes ask him if he’s okay and the player says ‘I’ve got a sore back, I’m okay’ and then the doctor comes on and the player goes off.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
Still haven't seen an old fashioned ruck today, but also haven't seen anyone doing an Italy

Still feel sorry for Barnes. If a Doc says its an hia and he doesn't let him off and they find any injury after the game...

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

goatface posted:

The doctor didn't even seem certain what he was there for until he was pressed. The game just got out of control. Barnes refused to award a penalty try like he would be fined for it, he didn't know what his 4th official was on about, the sideline teams didn't seem to know who was off for injury and who was a tactical sub, they didn't seem to know who was a designated front row, every time they reset the scrum a dozen support staff would run onto the field and hold poo poo up for thirty seconds until they were shoo'd away.

It was a complete gently caress up of game management.

The sideline and 4th official stuff isn't Barnes' fault. In fact, he repeatedly asked for clarification, which the 4th official struggled to do at times and once the team doctor said Atonio had to be removed for an HIA, Barnes had no option other than to allow the substitution.

The Welsh infringements on the line didn't really meet the penalty try threshold either, as there's no way to definitely rule that the French would have scored a try had there not been the Welsh offender there (as is the nature of tryline defending).

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 18, 2017

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

Vagabundo posted:

The sideline and 4th official stuff isn't Barnes' fault. In fact, he repeatedly asked for clarification, which the 4th official struggled to do at times. The Welsh infringements on the line didn't really meet the penalty try threshold either, as there's no way to definitely rule that the French would have scored a try had there not been the Welsh offender there (as is the nature of tryline defending).

Could argue that at the umpteenth one the welsh knew to do it that early and so it was deliberate prevention as Barnes was saying its too early

hjp766 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 18, 2017

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
One of the reasons we have HIAs now is so injured players don't stay on the field just because they tell the referee they're OK to continue. Wales should understand this all too well following the George North saga.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

hjp766 posted:

Could argue that at the umpteenth one the welsh knew to do it that early and so it was deliberate prevention

Sure, but it's one person being penalised, not a group. You remove that offender from the equation, you've still got an X number of Welsh defenders in the breakdown to potentially legally prevent the try from being scored.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It was a communal gently caress up.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

The sideline and 4th official stuff isn't Barnes' fault. In fact, he repeatedly asked for clarification, which the 4th official struggled to do at times and once the team doctor said Atonio had to be removed for an HIA, Barnes had no option other than to allow the substitution.

The Welsh infringements on the line didn't really meet the penalty try threshold either, as there's no way to definitely rule that the French would have scored a try had there not been the Welsh offender there (as is the nature of tryline defending).

The repeated infringement at the scrum is grounds for a penalty try however as it can be argued that the French could score a try directly from a scrum going forward. After, I think, the 4th penalty there, it really shouldn't have been a question.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Can we all at least agree that ITV are loving terrible?

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
On another note, as I normally see league nowadays, what the gently caress has happened to put ins. If your going to feed the ball why bother with a scrum?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

That's a repeated complaint and no one knows why it's constantly ignored. Apparently World Rugby are going ot look at it this year but gently caress knows when.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vaders Jester posted:

The repeated infringement at the scrum is grounds for a penalty try however as it can be argued that the French could score a try directly from a scrum going forward. After, I think, the 4th penalty there, it really shouldn't have been a question.

Sure, but were France consistently moving forward in the scrum each time it collapsed?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

Sure, but were France consistently moving forward in the scrum each time it collapsed?

Certainly two or three times in a row the French looked like they had the nudge on before a Welsh player would collapse it or pop up.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Vaders Jester posted:

Yes.

Lawrence Dallaglio is very bad.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Vaders Jester posted:

In every single aspect.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

goatface posted:

Yes.

Lawrence Dallaglio is very bad.

Well, why do we have time to be on here?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

has Mako ever driven straight?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ireland should've contested that.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Yeah I'm not sure how much any Wales fan can complain giving that we continually gave away penalties at the end (Though even as Brian Moore noted, there was the blatant standing up in the scrum by a French player that went unnoticed). Though, that stuff with the doctor was certainly very creative. The player clearly mentions his back, and then moments later they start talking about a head injury. Even the doctor didn't look to sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

If Ireland score any points now, they'd have probably secured a win.