Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Hi! I have a couple of questions.

Does the PC port run like poo poo for anybody else, or is it Just My Machine®? I'm getting ~50fps on medium and I know my computer isn't that bad. I've isolated myself from any internet discussion regarding the game so I don't know.

Also, is there a fix for the game automatically going in windowed mode after alt-tabbing?

Lastly, I use Japanese audio, and reading subtitles while fighting isn't the easiest thing to do. Generally, games have a way to read previous dialog. I'm either going insane or this game doesn't have something like this at all. Does it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Wait, how do you taunt?

Keep flashing your pod's flash light at an enemy.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Jack Trades posted:

Wait, how do you taunt?

Flicker your pod lights at the enemy. It takes a while but you know when it procs when steam rises out of them and their heads glow.

The third playable character you just gotta keep light attack held down with

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

rear end posted:

Hi! I have a couple of questions.

Does the PC port run like poo poo for anybody else, or is it Just My Machine®? I'm getting ~50fps on medium and I know my computer isn't that bad. I've isolated myself from any internet discussion regarding the game so I don't know.

Also, is there a fix for the game automatically going in windowed mode after alt-tabbing?

Lastly, I use Japanese audio, and reading subtitles while fighting isn't the easiest thing to do. Generally, games have a way to read previous dialog. I'm either going insane or this game doesn't have something like this at all. Does it?

Lots of problems reported with the port. There's a thread on Reddit/nier dedicated to PC issues, should be pinned to the top.

Can't help with this bit

No previous dialogue option at all, I'm afraid.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Keep flashing your pod's flash light at an enemy.

Later on you get an easier method (which unfortunately removes a type of attack) and suddenly those Taunt chips become insanely useful.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Lots of problems reported with the port. There's a thread on Reddit/nier dedicated to PC issues, should be pinned to the top.

Can't help with this bit

No previous dialogue option at all, I'm afraid.

That's lame. Oh well. Thank you!

edit: from the subreddit: "-Poor Perfomance on Nvidia 900 series cards." I have a 970. Welp!

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I just wish the game had quick travel or something because despite 2B being fast as all hell it still takes a while to get to other places
I actually can't even remember how to get to the desert

Moose riding seems a bit faster than sprinting to me.

Also the way the game switches modes and perspectives is pretty cool. I'm not really far into the game yet, but I was especially impressed by the whirly-car thing in the amusement park where there were multiple layers of 2D sidescrolling and normal third person camera areas that were all wrapped around the machine.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Later on you get an easier method (which unfortunately removes a type of attack) and suddenly those Taunt chips become insanely useful.

The important thing about the later taunt is that there's a unique animation for each weapon when it's in the primary slot, as well as one for the bare fists, but the bare fists one is shared with Dress Module.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

The important thing about the later taunt is that there's a unique animation for each weapon when it's in the primary slot, as well as one for the bare fists, but the bare fists one is shared with Dress Module.

:monocle:

On that note, I'm having a hard time using anything other than the Pipe + 4O GS and Ancient Overlord + Type-3 GS on that character. Other than looking awesome, all of those things synergize way too well and are insanely effective.

All level 4, obviously. :smugbert:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 18, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Thinking about it, it's possible short swords and bracers share an animation for that taunt.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Oh man, I really love this game and I'm really not sure why. I'm at work on a Saturday and thinking about a video game. That hadn't happened since Half-Life 2.

Also, I'm pretty sure i screwed myself out of a ton of sidequests.

Is there any reason why Jean-Paul / Sartre's name is bleeped out of voiced lines?

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
They didn't want to bother rerecording it. Also it's funny

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CordlessPen posted:

Oh man, I really love this game and I'm really not sure why. I'm at work on a Saturday and thinking about a video game. That hadn't happened since Half-Life 2.

Is there any reason why Jean-Paul / Sartre's name is bleeped out of voiced lines?

Copyright issues.

You're able to do unfinished sidequests on subsequent playthroughs, or eventually via chapter select.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

CordlessPen posted:

The voice acting says "Sartre" but for some reason they can't use the name in the English version apparently? It's weird that just a surname would be copyrighted though

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Taro specifically said at the XVxAutomata panel at PAX that the changes that are in the US/EU release were copyright related so whatever specific reason they might have had to change Beauvoir and Sartre, it's a copyright one.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Got to the final ending and drat, I miss the game already.

This was my favourite game in a long time, I've already ordered Nier on PS3 to get my melancholy and music fix.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

also can someone wax a bit on weapon stats and lt/hv slot jiggery please

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Now that I've seen all the endings can someone tell me what the two YoRHa units in the desert: oil field area are doing there, and what the room of monitors stacked on top of each other at the bottom of the Opera Singer boss's stage are for?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Qmass posted:

also can someone wax a bit on weapon stats and lt/hv slot jiggery please

How do you mean, exactly?
The Damage Ranges are pretty self explanatory and you can get the game to expand on their passive effects with some menu diving.

Cephas posted:

Now that I've seen all the endings can someone tell me what the two YoRHa units in the desert: oil field area are doing there, and what the room of monitors stacked on top of each other at the bottom of the Opera Singer boss's stage are for?

The YoRHa units sell you some primo home made drugs if you finish Jackass' Research.
The TVs are for 9S's game developer side quest. Quest giver shows up there if you go after killing the Opera boss as him in Route B

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
This game has one of the best late title cards ever

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Cephas posted:

No idea about the former. Them and the lady at the oasis seem to just be hanging out. The monitor room is where you get a quest for the game developer machine.

The YoRHa units sell you some primo home made drugs if you finish Jackass' Research.

That reminds me no matter what chapter I seem to select Jackass gives me the "thanks for helping me out" dialogue and I can't get any of her quests anymore. I don't know what's up with that

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nina posted:

No idea about the former. Them and the lady at the oasis seem to just be hanging out. The monitor room is where you get a quest for the game developer machine.

That reminds me no matter what chapter I seem to select Jackass gives me the "thanks for helping me out" dialogue and I can't get any of her quests anymore. I don't know what's up with that

She only has the one quest, unless I'm just blatantly forgetting one. She does show up in other people's though.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

She only has the one quest, unless I'm just blatantly forgetting one. She does show up in other people's though.

Let me see she has the quest line where you have to beat up robots. I don't know if the fish thing is a quest because for some reason it never activated for me even though I got her mail

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's not a quest, you just read the mail and go talk to her

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nina posted:

Let me see she has the quest line where you have to beat up robots. I don't know if the fish thing is a quest because for some reason it never activated for me even though I got her mail

The robot one is the one that leads to the drug and I'm unsure if you need to finish it to get the Mackerel, but getting the fish isn't a quest by the game's standards, it's just an incidental event from the mail box.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Manatee Cannon posted:

that's not a quest, you just read the mail and go talk to her

She's still just "thanks for helping me out" and nothing happens. Maybe I need to be in a really specific chapter.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you probably need to do it when she sends the mail

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Swapping chapters resets certain flags and the flag for this event is probably triggered by the mail/reading the mail. You can go get it whenever if it is flagged, 10 seconds or 10 hours later, but if you reset the flag you probably need to trigger it again. I'm fairly certain you need to be after the fast travel unlock for it to be mailed to you.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Post-End game optional subquest spoilers and theories:

I really wonder if the machines look like that because Emil was the first line of defense against the aliens, and they adapted to fighting against him.

Another thing is that I couldn't help but notice that Emil always said he fought against the ALIENS, not the machines. The short video about him also shows him directly fighting against the aliens with his copies, no machines there. And you can see him peacefully coexisting with the machines in the city ruins. If the was driven enough to multiply to fight the aliens the point of losing all his memories, you would think he would still be fighting to this day, knowing nothing else.

I think this theory can be easily disproven, but it would be even more tragic if Emil was the one who created the machines after his multiplication efforts didn't prove enough, then they defeated the aliens and turned on the androids so they could keep on fighting.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

nerdz posted:

Post-End game optional subquest spoilers and theories:

I really wonder if the machines look like that because Emil was the first line of defense against the aliens, and they adapted to fighting against him.

I love that theory a lot. I'm miffed I didn't think of it yet

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm surprised you didn't considering the way he's introduced

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Emil is a good boy who has done nothing wrong, ever.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i dunno he did a pretty bad thing that one time

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Should I play Nier before getting this game? I can get it on PS3 but I don't have a working tv so I'd need to use my PC monitor so I'm not sure it'd be worth the effort if it's not that connected.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pierson posted:

Emil is a good boy who has done nothing wrong, ever.

Haven't all of us committed a minor genocide at some point in out lives?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

gmq posted:

Should I play Nier before getting this game? I can get it on PS3 but I don't have a working tv so I'd need to use my PC monitor so I'm not sure it'd be worth the effort if it's not that connected.

Nier has arguably a better plot than this one but it's extremely tiring and repetitive to play. It's definitely not for everyone but I bet mostly everyone who played it here loved it, so I'd say go for it.

Playing it will make the second game even more amazing.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

you should play nier because it's a good game

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pro-tip for first Nier: If you want to trivialize combat, just use the Large sword's charged jump attack and dodge cancel it once you hit the ground. It's extremely safe and does huge damage and a large AOE.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I like 2B. Just remember, if you see any art of her that would make for a nice avatar please share it with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

nerdz posted:

Nier has arguably a better plot than this one but it's extremely tiring and repetitive to play. It's definitely not for everyone but I bet mostly everyone who played it here loved it, so I'd say go for it.

Playing it will make the second game even more amazing.

Not much gets me misty eyed, but the clear NieR 1 nostalgia pandering parts of Automata got me. They're both wonderful games, even if NieR is more of a flawed gem than Automata is.