Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
you will need to redeem in in the japanese store so yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008

Mr Phillby posted:

you will need to redeem in in the japanese store so yes.

Ok. Thanks!

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Junkie Disease posted:

Zelda's engine, Metroid's DNA.

I wonder if they could do a BotW-style deconstruction of Metroid gameplay and still make it feel like Metroid?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

pyrotek posted:

I wonder if they could do a BotW-style deconstruction of Metroid gameplay and still make it feel like Metroid?

You could almost argue Other M was an attempt at that, but didn't hit the right balance

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

I'm so early in the game that I haven't even seen a horse yet. I'm pretty sure I'll only accept a Fist of the North Star megahorse though.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Long shot but here goes, anyone in Georgia happen to know anywhere that may have a switch available?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Switch seems to already have cloud saves as a hidden feature?

http://nintendoeverything.com/switch-owner-sends-system-in-for-repair-gets-it-back-with-ability-to-download-old-save-data-via-cloud-icon/

At least for this dude's repair console

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

I saw the original reddit thread this was quoting and I think people said that the cloud icon is just what it displays for games you have purchased, but still need to download. Another dude said he also had his saves transferred by Nintendo, they were already on the system memory, and it just appeared because he had to redownload the 1.1 update for the game.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

you can resuscitate your dead horses, according to a npc

I looked this up and I'm gonna stop looking up anything about this game even mechanically because there's a lot that would have been cool to stumble across.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Milkman posted:

Did you let it rest overnight before loving with it? On glass protectors the air eventually works its way out
Nah, I probably should have done my homework

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

horse bad; can't climb

let me ride a goat all the way up to the peak of the mountain

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Katana Gomai posted:

horse bad; can't climb

let me ride a goat all the way up to the peak of the mountain

Counterpoint: do sweet rear end jump off horse climb yourself

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Trunko posted:

I like how this guy shoe horns in a cute little sitcom style made up wife into his rebuttal

I like how this guy doesn't understand the point of establishing context while tossing in a bit of humor. My eyes suck and I have absolutely zero issues seeing any text on the Switch without having my face buried in it like that person claimed.

No more jokes people. Just make flat, factual statements. Humor doesn't belong here by the creed of Trunko.

Also: not everyone on SA has to "make up" significant others. Its ok, apparently you too can take your Switch on an airplane and meet someone... its a thing now, don't be so bitter and cynical about relationships

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 18, 2017

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Spellman posted:

You could almost argue Other M was an attempt at that, but didn't hit the right balance

what

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Norns posted:

Counterpoint: do sweet rear end jump off horse climb yourself

Or, ride yoshi the horse over a chasm and then bail out to get extra distance.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Wheany posted:

Or, ride yoshi the horse over a chasm and then bail out to get extra distance.

This guy gets it

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Because they changed a lot of Metroid's hallmark traditions in favor of a game that utilized voiced cinematics, action-based gameplay over puzzles, infinite ammo (channeling refills), typical acquisition of powers enabled periodically instead of finding them, melee-based gameplay, and under the hood of expanding the official Metroid lore with a rich story rooted in the series' origins. I'm not saying it did any of that well, but it was an attempt akin to what BotW tried to do, completely turning traditions inside out to try and have a more modernized take on the series

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Spellman posted:

Because they changed a lot of Metroid's hallmark traditions in favor of a game that utilized voiced cinematics, action-based gameplay over puzzles, infinite ammo (channeling refills), typical acquisition of powers enabled periodically instead of finding them, melee-based gameplay, and under the hood of expanding the official Metroid lore with a rich story rooted in the series' origins. I'm not saying it did any of that well, but it was an attempt akin to what BotW tried to do, completely turning traditions inside out to try and have a more modernized take on the series

Sorta but the first Zelda was trying to be what botw is, so this isn't really that different from how Zelda started. More like the last couple went Meh and now it's all holy crap THIS is what we wanted.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Throwing away conventions isn't a virtue just for the sake of doing it. BotW succeeds because it throws away conventions in order to deliver an experience that stays true to the spirit of the series.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tender Bender posted:

Throwing away conventions isn't a virtue just for the sake of doing it. BotW succeeds because it throws away conventions in order to deliver an experience that stays true to the spirit of the series.

If any Metroid game did this it was Prime.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Prime is a great Metroid imo

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
How do you get your horse if he's too far away to hear you because you fast-travelled?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

LethalGeek posted:

Sorta but the first Zelda was trying to be what botw is, so this isn't really that different from how Zelda started. More like the last couple went Meh and now it's all holy crap THIS is what we wanted.

I don't think anyone is clamoring for Metroid to go back to Metroid 1, though.

And even if you meant Super Metroid, it's not like they forgot, cause Zero Mission is just another expansion upon that.

The metroid prime series changed things a lot with the first person perspective, but the original elements of movement-based-gating level design, lots of platforming+shooting gameplay, and general atmosphere of isolation always stayed the same. You just actually had a map.

If "lack of hints" is what is being questioned here (like in Zelda), you could already turn off/ignore the hints in most later Metroid games to basically the same degree as Botw. Even the more guided games like Fusion/Prime 2/Zero Mission still gave you lots of room to explore each area to progress and didn't tell you where everything was. Only Prime 3 and Other M were where you basically were explicitly guided the entire way through.

Prime 3 deviated by being more story focused and making the areas less intertwined (cause it was separate worlds that always required your ship to travel between), but those original principles were largely still there. Other M is where they tried to deviate, but they still tried to aim for these elements clearly (and ended up failing).

It worked for Zelda cause that franchise clearly evolved in a different direction from the original from "sparse hints and direction" to "hand holds the entire experience". Metroid has evolved but it's clearly had it's sights on the same elements, even if they've experimented with the recent ones.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Feenix posted:

How do you get your horse if he's too far away to hear you because you fast-travelled?

You can still board him at any stable even if he isn't with you.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Dr Cheeto posted:

Prime is a great Metroid imo

Prime is a GOAT

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I enjoyed the music in metroid Prime but gently caress the omega pirate.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Not sure if this is worth making a post in SAMart or something, but if anyone else is collecting the Super Mario pins:

I need Bowser and have extra Marios and Toads. Looking to trade before I throw any more money at them.

I bought some when I was waiting in line for the Switch and was surprised at how nice they are.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Louisgod posted:

Riding a horse in Zelda to explore feels like using a Skell in Xenoblade to explore in that it completely ruins the experience of getting distracted by the little things that make the game fun.

I've used a horse once and will never use one again.

They're good for farming Yiga ambushes

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If Metroid was like BotW it either wouldn't be Metroid or would be super annoying because 90% of the world would be initially closed off because you lack a screw attack or whatever. So it wouldn't really be like BotW.

Metroid has always been about exploring an area and seeing where you newest toys will let you go. Older Zeldas are kinda like that, yet far more linear.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Pants Donkey posted:

If Metroid was like BotW it either wouldn't be Metroid or would be super annoying because 90% of the world would be initially closed off because you lack a screw attack or whatever. So it wouldn't really be like BotW.

Metroid has always been about exploring an area and seeing where you newest toys will let you go. Older Zeldas are kinda like that, yet far more linear.

Actually Zelda 1 is basically completely open and you can really do any of the dungeons in any order you want, there's only two that are blocked off via some item if I recall correctly.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Any word on when extra docks go on sale? Is there a workaround in the interim? Would like to play in multiple rooms.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

I think the idea isn't making BotW with Metroid stuff, it's doing to Metroid what BotW did to Zelda -- that is, examining what comprises the core experience and scrapping anything that's just become rote or expected. Trying to get back to how the first Metroid felt to play at the time rather than iterating on the latest game.

(Honestly though it's been long enough that I'd love an iteration on either Metroid Prime or Fusion/Zero Mission)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've been waiting about half my life to find out what happens to Samus after Fusion and frankly the series deserves its current fate for blue balling me with prequel after prequel.

Idea for a post Fusion game. The Space Police finally caught Samus. She spends the next twenty years in Space Solitary Confinement. But then the Space President's Spaceship crashes in Space New York, which is a prison planet. Samus has 24 hours to rescue the Space President.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I wonder if splatoon was a PC game or had an actually good install base if it'd be the espurt nintendo paraded it as in the switch hardware trailer.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I wonder if splatoon was a PC game or had an actually good install base if it'd be the espurt nintendo paraded it as in the switch hardware trailer.

I get the impression it is in Japan to some degree. Nearly all the S rank players are Japanese

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I enjoyed the music in metroid Prime but gently caress the omega pirate.

That title screen :allears:

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I beat Zelda today. Fuckin' awesome game, still gotta go back and get all the stuff I missed

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I bought Binding of Isaac, but have never played any of them, based solely on the "it's just the dungeons from 8-bit Zelda" sales pitch.

In other news I'm waiting on pins and needles for a whole new console cycle to go by without remastered Metroid Prime games with updated controls, let alone a NEW Metroid Prime game.

I can practically​ taste my extreme disappointment.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It's been long enough and the Prime team has moved on, any new Metroid will probably not stick to the Scan Logs and Missile Upgrade Semi Puzzles "formula" of Prime anyway. The trilogy itself was in a routine over the 5 years or so it came out but not to the degree that Zelda was from 1998-2011.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
did anyone figure out if i can charge my game boy with the charger from my phone without it exploding yet

• Locked thread