Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
This girl on Hells Kitchen who's like I NEVER WENT TO PROM I WAS TOO WASTED is my hero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

DeimosRising posted:

That makes more sense given what I remember of the style of the episode, I guess I was just assuming it was in the US cause it was a southern restaurant

She's an American expat, so that's likely part of it as well

The post-show story on that one is a goddamn rollercoaster - she got like the biggest post-Kitchen Nightmares boost ever, booked months in advance because Gordon loved her food and she has a really kind and charismatic personality, so she ended up moving locations to a giant multi-story deal called Mama Cherri's Big House to deal with the demand. Of course, her organizational skills and leadership style were always what was tanking her restaurant, so those came out in full force. Quality started slipping, not a whole lot of customers wanted to make repeat visits, and the place closed down within a couple years... but eventually she found a business model that actually played to her strengths: writing cookbooks and traveling around Britain in a van doing catering and giving private cooking lessons. Anything that's one-on-one, that emphasizes her cooking skills and personality rather than her ability to manage a large team and organizational structure, is absolutely where she needs to be, and she's successful in her new business to this day

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

Ooh, ooh, please tell me he did a magic trick. Even though it's sleazy as hell I understand the concept behind poo poo like negging and trying to change the venue, but the bit where you try and impress a girl by doing a magic trick in a bar seems dumb as hell. I bet even Ricky Jay has better luck picking up women by telling them he's worked with Christian Bale than any slight of hand.

if ricky jay did his Four Queens for me i'd probaly suck his dick because i cannot fuckin figure that poo poo out

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Jenny Angel posted:

The post-show story on that one is a goddamn rollercoaster - she got like the biggest post-Kitchen Nightmares boost ever, booked months in advance because Gordon loved her food and she has a really kind and charismatic personality, so she ended up moving locations to a giant multi-story deal called Mama Cherri's Big House to deal with the demand. Of course, her organizational skills and leadership style were always what was tanking her restaurant, so those came out in full force. Quality started slipping, not a whole lot of customers wanted to make repeat visits, and the place closed down within a couple years... but eventually she found a business model that actually played to her strengths: writing cookbooks and traveling around Britain in a van doing catering and giving private cooking lessons. Anything that's one-on-one, that emphasizes her cooking skills and personality rather than her ability to manage a large team and organizational structure, is absolutely where she needs to be, and she's successful in her new business to this day

I'm watching this right now

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Guys, Persona... was really loving awesome

Yes Yes it is.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I've spent most of my work day thinking about the DO YOU WANNA PARTY but from Return of the Living Dead and how loving perfect it is. I love it. I wanna get a tattoo of it.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

I'm watching this right now

It owns so much, any 1-hour documentary would kill to have two central figures as magnetic as Gordon and Cherri

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Jenny Angel posted:

Cool poo poo dude, thanks for the follow up. I kind of wish there was a follow up show (even though most episodes would be "they went out of business and now they work at a Walmart")

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

DeimosRising posted:

Cool poo poo dude, thanks for the follow up. I kind of wish there was a follow up show (even though most episodes would be "they went out of business and now they work at a Walmart")

There are though, most of the UK ones have a "revisited" follow-up that's like half a recap of the first episode and half "let's see what they've been up to in the year or two since I arrived". They're generally pretty good about not white-washing the restaurant's post-show performance, e.g. the Mama Cherri one takes place after she's moved to the Big House and Gordon can see the writing on the wall that the place is gonna go under

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

DeimosRising posted:

Most of the restaurants closed, which people refer to as the Kitchen Nightmares curse, though it's also just a fact of the business. The number of restaurants that stick around as establishments is fairly slim, most are more like temporary culinary events.

Jenny Angel posted:

100%, "melancholy texture" is a great way to describe why it's an all-time great reality show, it's this insanely charismatic guy taking a relatively somber and meditative look at the fact that his life's passion is a world that's just absolutely filled with pain and struggle and failure, and doing his damnedest to have a sliver of defiant optimism pierce through

It's established right off the bat with the first episode, where he tries to coach two care-not twenty-somethings into giving a drat and seems to succeed at first. But when he comes back in the follow-up, they've not managed to maintain the guidelines he set, and it's this really downbeat epilogue where everyone's sort of quietly facing their failure. The "revisited" episode is even more depressed and feels like one of the later episodes of The Thick Of It - the restaurant has shuttered, the owner is planning to sue Ramsay, and the chef has moved on. It's so acutely bittersweet and organic that it's actually sort of daring for being "just" a kitchen reality show.

edit: it's amazing how much money Germany puts into its own arts culture, all the theater groups there get massive subsidies and it shows. They're so far ahead of us that it's kind of disgusting.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 18, 2017

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Every morning I wake up and cook eggs the Gordon Ramsay way, then I open palm slap bacon grease and peanut butter into my gaping maw.

Why is my total cholesterol 380?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Because you forgot the multivitamin.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lurdiak posted:

Irony's got nothing to do with it, I'm simply acknowledging the human condition where you can like something without that thing being good. If you're unable to make that distinction you're saying that your personal taste and experience is the only arbiter of something's merit, which is essentially abandoning most concepts that govern modern society. That isn't the same as saying that something that isn't liked by the masses has no value, because anything can have personal value. And it's also not arguing for some kind of populism of opinions where the majority perspective is the correct one. But abandoning the concept of separating the personal and the objective is again, narcissism.

I don't like Dark Souls at all, that doesn't mean I can go around calling it a poo poo game. That would be incredibly puerile and unfairly devalue the enjoyment others have gotten from it, as well as the work put into the series. I'm not so self-absorbed that I think the fact that the games are as fun as getting a ballsack wax job means they're just bad.

I will fight; will fight with my heart.
I will fight; will fight with understanding.
In my mind, the weather never changes
Skill overcomes, difficult situations.

A straight line exists between me and the good things.
I have found the line and its direction is known to me.
Absolute trust keeps me going in the right direction.
Any intrusion is met with a heart full of the good thing.

Try to compare what I am presenting.
You will meet with much frustration.
Try to find ... similar situation.
You will always find the same solution.

As the heart finds the good thing, the feeling is multiplied.
Add the will to the strength and it equals conviction.
As we economize, efficiency is multiplied,
To the extent I am determined the result is the good thing.
So I say:
I have adopted this and made it my own:
Cut back the weakness, reinforce what is strong.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
I always thought that I was pretty much the average age on this stupid forum but ya'll had to go posting these lists that confirmed I'm one of the oldest. I wont do my own but I was just looking at the year I'm born and you babies had it it easy. 1982 man. Blade Runner, Conan the Barbarian, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Eating Raoul, First Blood, Fitzcarraldo, Halloween III: Season of the Witch, Koyaanisqatsi, Poltergeist, Q, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, The Thing, Turkey Shoot.

How can you choose just one? But if I had to I'm tempted to go with Q because of Michael Moriarty's performance.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I was born in 90 I dunno what came out that year besides me heyyyyyy but I'm clearly the best

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm sure something came out in 1990 that I really liked but I can't remember what is is

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I feel you, Hedenius.

I gave up on my first year trying to choose between The Day of the Jackal, The Sting, Enter the Dragon, Serpico, Black Caesar, Don't Look Now, The Exorcist, The Holy Mountain, Mean Streets, Lady Snowblood, The Wicker Man, and probably countless others I'm forgetting. poo poo, that was a crazy good year for films.

:corsair: :corsair:

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

ynohtna posted:

I feel you, Hedenius.

I gave up on my first year trying to choose between The Day of the Jackal, The Sting, Enter the Dragon, Serpico, Black Caesar, Don't Look Now, The Exorcist, The Holy Mountain, Mean Streets, Lady Snowblood, The Wicker Man, and probably countless others I'm forgetting. poo poo, that was a crazy good year for films.

:corsair: :corsair:
That's also a good year. The Sting dude! And I noticed you misspelled The Day of the Dolphin.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i just started the first Mama Cherri episode of Kitchen Nightmares and its already real good

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Yoooooo cool cats. If anyone wants to watch our ROUGH cut and want to give notes, we would love that.

Can be seen here. Password is creepyspooky

Keyword rough; still needs all the music and sound design, vfx, etc...

Death By The Blues fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 18, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Death By The Blues posted:

Yoooooo cool cats. If anyone wants to watch our ROUGH cut and want to give notes, we would love that.

Can be seen here. Password is spookycreepy

that password doesnt work

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
You are right its: creepyspooky

E: has to be coloured too.

Death By The Blues fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 18, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

You are right its: creepyspooky

E: has to be coloured too.

not enough baps

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

u brexit ukip it posted:

I'm sure something came out in 1990 that I really liked but I can't remember what is is

Predator 2

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Hedenius posted:

I always thought that I was pretty much the average age on this stupid forum but ya'll had to go posting these lists that confirmed I'm one of the oldest. I wont do my own but I was just looking at the year I'm born and you babies had it it easy. 1982 man. Blade Runner, Conan the Barbarian, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Eating Raoul, First Blood, Fitzcarraldo, Halloween III: Season of the Witch, Koyaanisqatsi, Poltergeist, Q, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, The Thing, Turkey Shoot.

How can you choose just one? But if I had to I'm tempted to go with Q because of Michael Moriarty's performance.

It's easy cuz the Thing is right there

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I used to watch Kitchen Nightmares a ton when they would basically show it all day on BBC America but after awhile I realized I just didn't like Gordon Ramsay very much.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Guys, Persona... was really loving awesome

That movie really blew my hair back the first time I saw it, particularly that one close up shot of Liv Ullman that sloooowly dims. Pairs well with Repulsion.

If you want more Bergman in that mode, Hour of the Wolf is your best bet.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Yea probably my favourite Bergman and Hour of The Wolf pairs nicely with it.

See if you can find Shame, also really good.

Fanny and Alexander is incredible too and probably his most accessible.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

FishBulb posted:

It's easy cuz the Thing is right there
True but have you seen Q: The Winged Serpent? Michael Moriarty should have won every Oscar that year.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Did anyone see Kedi, and was it any good?

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

not enough baps

take this into consideration.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

Did anyone see Kedi, and was it any good?

I'm too much of a cat person to be entirely impartial, but yeah it's fantastic.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

See if you can find Shame, also really good.

Shame totally wrecked me.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That movie really blew my hair back the first time I saw it, particularly that one close up shot of Liv Ullman that sloooowly dims. Pairs well with Repulsion.

If you want more Bergman in that mode, Hour of the Wolf is your best bet.

I agree, but about halfway thru I realized I like it way more than Repulsion, and it may just be because I felt like the framing of the shots complimented the dialogue and the acting so well. Everything just works so perfectly that I was kind of overwhelmed by how masterful it was.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Bergman's mastery in terms of blocking and when exactly to move the camera is unparalleled, no one does it better.

E: Villeneuve borrows a lot of this in the way he frames close-ups and when to move the camera.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Nicely shot, definitely work on tightening it up. I wish the cinematography was a little more vivid and intense, there's a kind of arms-length feeling but quicker pacing and a good soundtrack will help. The bit with the zipper at 1:32 sounds like a fart.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
yea the arms length was deliberate, almost an objective voyeuristic intention with it, but we change it with colour to a certain degree,

Definitely will tighten it up. It may not drag as badly once music, subtitles, and sound design is thrown in there.

Thank you for the notes!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I cried during a threesome sex scene.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

TCM's Robert Osborne marathon is really good. I watched one with him interviewing Eva Marie Saint from a few years ago and now one is on with Peter O'Toole. I like how he's pretty much just sitting back and letting them talk, only jumping in to keep on track a little. O'Toole told a story about getting drunk with Omar Sharif to shoot the Akaba siege in Lawrence of Arabia that got funnier as he went on, Marie Saint was still swooning over working with Marlon Brando and Cary Grant. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Definitely needs some tightening -- even that bit at 0:20ish when the cash is handed over is long.

Skipping around but there are WAY too many target shots.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That's in my "best movie I never, ever want to watch again" line, along with United 93.

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 18, 2017

• Locked thread