Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I wonder how many in the chat have seen these episodes before vs just trolling about plot.

Because they had convinced me that Billy was the Gold Ranger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Pinwiz11 posted:

The key thing to take from all this is watch GoBusters and ToQger anyway. They're really good, y'all.

ToQ's cast is okay, but the sixth and the villains are great. It's a shame the antics of the Shadow Line won't ever get to be adapted, but it seems, at least, that the sits might see some use based on the villain host off Ninja Steel

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

I wonder how many in the chat have seen these episodes before vs just trolling about plot.

Because they had convinced me that Billy was the Gold Ranger.

I mean they always alluded to Billy being the Gold ranger (and he was supposed to be him or the phantom ranger before he left the show or something?).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Watched the full trailer again and I still don't like how Alpha looks.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Billy was always disappearing when Gold Ranger showed up, so it wasn't without basis. Rocky even pointed this out at one point. Hell, the first thought when the powers needed transfer was handing them off to Billy anyway.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Watched the full trailer again and I still don't like how Alpha looks.

he's the design i like most actually, it hits this nice balance between alien yet familiar and harmless and i'm sure the eyestalks will make for some fun emoting

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Billy even noted in the second episode that if things went bad he could always just become a ranger again anyway. Then, nope.

It's so weird watching these days knowing what David Yost was going through. In the early days of fandom Billy was known for having so many on screen girlfriend options that fizzled shortly. "The Casanova of Angel Grove-a" etc. Now I watch that stuff and think, is some producer or whatever going "haw haw, let's give the gay dude a dozen girlfriends?"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Zhane is the best. :allears:

"Hahahah! they think i'm dying!"

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 18, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Craptacular! posted:

Billy even noted in the second episode that if things went bad he could always just become a ranger again anyway. Then, nope.

It's so weird watching these days knowing what David Yost was going through. In the early days of fandom Billy was known for having so many on screen girlfriend options that fizzled shortly. "The Casanova of Angel Grove-a" etc. Now I watch that stuff and think, is some producer or whatever going "haw haw, let's give the gay dude a dozen girlfriends?"
Considering everything I've heard about his treatment while he was on the show? Very possibly.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
All I'm gonna say is, when Mega Winger throws it's wings to the Mega Voyager for the flying missile finisher, check out the orientation of the wings.

That poo poo is set up for flying backwards.

PMush Perfect posted:

Considering everything I've heard about his treatment while he was on the show? Very possibly.

In one episode in season 2/3, he gives an exchange student an incredibly cheesy pick up line ("is every girl in your country as beautiful as you?") And he delivers it with such a tone of sincerity and no irony whatsoever, that I imagine he must have thought someone was judging his performance because he nailed that sappy poo poo with the sort of acting you rarely see on PR.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 18, 2017

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I've never seen "In Space." What should I expect from tuning in now?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

It's still power rangers, but it's good power rangers.
The lowest budget space adventures ever in a good way, they really wrestled that footage and budget into shape. :v:

Also chat spamming 3-3-5 on the morph. :allears:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Small space shenanigans, monsters with fairly alright plans, in-fighting between the bad guys, Johnny Young Bosch is there, etc

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

egon_beeblebrox posted:

The best "evil rangers" arc the series has ever done.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What's with Andronema's hair right now?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Also please know that in power rangers, there is air in space.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There ain't no air in space! But there is an air and space museum.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Everyone in this episode is :3: black and green dude is the best dad

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

ToQger was a good show with a solid story and good characters. It was also a little too long, but goddamn do I love the Shadow Line getting all that luscious screen time. I actually really liked Zett's obsession with light, it made him way more interesting of a big bad, especially how much he genuinely liked Right.

As sentai go, it was really solid and made a ton of internal sense. And the insanity of the final fight in ToQ 7gou :allears:

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

ToQger was a good show with a solid story and good characters. It was also a little too long, but goddamn do I love the Shadow Line getting all that luscious screen time. I actually really liked Zett's obsession with light, it made him way more interesting of a big bad, especially how much he genuinely liked Right.

As sentai go, it was really solid and made a ton of internal sense. And the insanity of the final fight in ToQ 7gou :allears:
Yeah Zed was interesting because at the end the series had you wondering if Right was tempering Zed's evil nature given that they were partially fused together.
EDIT:
I legitimately like this fight between Andromeda and the Zane.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 18, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

That Zhane/Astronema episode was the greatest thing ever.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Everyone in this episode is :3: black and green dude is the best dad

Ecliptor is such an honorable bad guy that I was pissy for months about his eventual fate. He could have at least not died believing that Karone was dead. You're an rear end in a top hat, Zordon.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Craptacular! posted:

Ecliptor is such an honorable bad guy that I was pissy for months about his eventual fate. He could have at least not died believing that Karone was dead. You're an rear end in a top hat, Zordon.

Yeah it's like, Zedd and Rita are more good than him? poo poo, Divatox is?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

I'm fully expecting Kyuuranger to be skipped as well, considering like Go-Busters it's allegedly designed with Power Rangers in mind.

Three years of Ninja Steel :allears:

Go-Busters got skipped over because it was a huge flop over in Japan, they aren't going to skip Kyuuranger, especially since they are almost definitely going to skip over Zyuohger(someone at Bandai all but confirmed it since they were talking about how Zyuohger's mech designs wouldn't work with the Zord Builder system that they consider a core selling point of the main toyline here in the states)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

Yeah it's like, Zedd and Rita are more good than him? poo poo, Divatox is?

or of course all of Rita and Zedd's crew besides themselves dying

Thinking that Zordon might have been at least a little bit racist

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

drrockso20 posted:

Go-Busters got skipped over because it was a huge flop over in Japan, they aren't going to skip Kyuuranger, especially since they are almost definitely going to skip over Zyuohger(someone at Bandai all but confirmed it since they were talking about how Zyuohger's mech designs wouldn't work with the Zord Builder system that they consider a core selling point of the main toyline here in the states)

That's a shame, because I really like the aesthetics of Zyuohger more than Kyuuranger

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

What is Zord Builder, anyway? Just slapping Dino Megazord's arms onto the Ninja Megazord?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

20 years later and the In Space theme is still amazing.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

What is Zord Builder, anyway? Just slapping Dino Megazord's arms onto the Ninja Megazord?

From what I understand, it's a sorta franchise of toys with the concept of combining different ones via attaching different arms and legs to certain torsos. Marvel has a like called Marvel Mashers, so you buy a Hulk, Wolverine, Captain America and Spider-man toy and you can dismantle Spider-man to give his torso a Hulk right arm, a Wolverine left arm and then Cap's legs. So for Power Rangers you just buy zords instead of Spider-men and get stuff like OG Megazord with Samurai's arms and Kyuuranger's legs.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Pretty much, or using the motorcycles as legs and other ridiculous stuff

honestly I can't stand the system since I feel it cripples the toys here in the states(well that and Bandai's stubborn insistence on making their own molds instead of just bringing over the Sentai molds like they used to), it's definitely an unusual situation where the best toyline for the franchise right now is the Imaginext line

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Super big pose rangers and deluxe robots or bust, I say. It was brilliant, the rangers, monsters, and mecha were all roughly in scale so you can just decide ok the monster is big now and swap to the robot. The toys were big and shiny and stood the gently caress out in the toy isle.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Yeah, I've seen some comparisons of the sentai toys compared to the ranger ones. It's really quite baffling, considering the whole idea is to resell extant products to make huge profits, that they make whole new toys with slightly different details and in a different scale.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Man, they can't even put Karone in a brig or room or something. They just literally chain her to the floor of the cargo hold.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

OMG SO MANY TWISTS!!!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Ecliptor stays behind and :BibleThump:s are filling the chat.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So this next episode starting now, Dark Specter's Revenge part1, I haven't watched it in about sixteen years but what I remember is that it's the most un-PR episode I've ever seen.

It's like a remake of Armageddon with colorful outfits and a Sharknado budget. Forget about monsters of the day, selling toys, etc.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

darkonda's falling for the sunk-cost fallacy real hard with all his lost lives here

you've still got a bunch left buddy! quit while you're ahead

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It's weird that in the most dramatic episode of the season they're fighting the mooks from Turbo of all things.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Chat begging for Space Dad's life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It's kind of ridiculous how much Astronema looks like Kat.