Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Slashrat posted:

E10: Davos: Wow. You are the worst Iron Fist ever.

That made watching it this far worth it to me at least.

This should be the thread title if anyone makes a thread on the very bad series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Slashrat posted:

E10: Davos: Wow. You are the worst Iron Fist ever.

That made watching it this far worth it to me at least.

Episode 10- #TeamDavos

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Guess I'll be skipping this one. I liked Luke Cage well enough but it really petered out towards the end. With so many options currently on Netflix and in theaters I can't see myself putting aside time to watch a "solid C" TV show.

Awaiting DDs3, Punisher and hopefully one day a Moon Knight show.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm at episode 10 and still do not give one single poo poo about Danny's story. I care about Wing (even if her actress is meh), Joy, Ward, basically everyone AROUND Danny (which is hilarious because after the first couple eps I didn't care about them either but now here we are), but Danny is still just a goddamn lump.

Ramadu posted:

How do you mess up kung fu this bad in 2017. Get Gordon Liu down there and force these idiots to watch a ton of Shaw brothers poo poo. These fights are disgraceful.

There's no continuity to the fights at all and that's probably the biggest issue. They cut and people have moved large amounts or are flying through the air and you have no idea why.

Besides the awful fights why did they make Danny a functional idiot? Just - trrrible choice. Ward carries this show so hard it's not even funny. Colleen Wings actress was particularly atrocious. So dissapointed. Sad, low energy kung fu is the worst kung fu :(

also yea these fights are goddamn garbage. That'd be bad enough in any Marvel show but loving Iron Fist having weak kung fu? Not only does that suck, it makes Danny look like a smug idiot when he goes around being all mystic master and his fighting style is apparently 'wait for a camera cut, then watch a guy leap backwards away from you'.

Also forgot what episode but I wanna say 3 or 4 Danny spent 15 years on earth. He knows that not every dojo on earth is training more Weapons like him. Him coming into Wing's dojo all 'heh you loving idiot, you'll never make REAL warriors this way' was so stupid the only way it should have ended would be with 'you just beat the poo poo out of a kid for laughing, come near me again and I'll call the cops you weird idiot'.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Agents of Shield manages to have solid looking fight scenes that outclass anything in this show and it's a real shame. I don't hate it but it's a visible step down from any of the other netflix stuff. I found myself checking my phone during the first episode which is not something I really do when watching anything engaging at all. Iron Fist suffers from having a really bland visual style. The sound design is really... sparse? I guess? It just doesn't have any real character, for lack of a better term.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I finally managed to get through this POS, and there isn't even a post-credits palate-cleanser. Luke Cage didn't have one either, this is the least they could do.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The hosed thing is I thought Coleen's fights were actually solid! Like, her cage fights looked pretty cool, I'd watch The Colleen Wing Show (and her friend, Idiot White Guy). It's incredibly clearly an actor issue rather than a direction one.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Joy and Ward are the things I care about most at the moment watching Episode 7.

Episode 7: So much for your commitment to martial arts and your vow of loving celibacy rand you worthless fuckboy

hooman fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 18, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Joy and Ward story is the only thing I find engaging.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Wait wait wait are you guys suggesting Scott Buck, showrunner for season 6-8 of Dexter, lazily crafted a mediocre story devoid of nuance, depth, cleverness, or subtlety???

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Finn Jones is godawful at this whole kung fu thing.

Whenever he does one of those dramatic build-up poses, waving his hands around and ending with some sort of fighting stance, he just looks...wobbly. With the whole clinic and drugs bit, I thought he was having balancing issues to fit the moment, but he's always wonky. There's no poise to his slow moves and no snap to his fast ones. The choreography seems to try and hide that which just makes the fights more disjointed.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hollismason posted:

Joy and Ward story is the only thing I find engaging.

I hated Ward in the first 2 episodes but oh my god he's just the best now. A genuinely neat character and the actor's hosed up "I. AM. GOING. TO. OVER. ENUNCIATE. EVERY. WORD." style totally fits the character.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Fleve posted:

Finn Jones is godawful at this whole kung fu thing.

Whenever he does one of those dramatic build-up poses, waving his hands around and ending with some sort of fighting stance, he just looks...wobbly. With the whole clinic and drugs bit, I thought he was having balancing issues to fit the moment, but he's always wonky. There's no poise to his slow moves and no snap to his fast ones. The choreography seems to try and hide that which just makes the fights more disjointed.
What really blows my mind is that they probably did several takes on those scenes, and that was still the best they could come up with.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It doesn't help that the writers seemingly don't know how shareholders and corporations work.

Junkfist posted:

Wait wait wait are you guys suggesting Scott Buck, showrunner for season 6-8 of Dexter, lazily crafted a mediocre story devoid of nuance, depth, cleverness, or subtlety???

The series makes a lot of sense now.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Hollismason posted:

It doesn't help that the writers seemingly don't know how shareholders and corporations work.
To be "fair", Marvelflix don't know how courtrooms work either, at least they're consistent in not understanding how the professional b-plot works.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Eight and a half episodes in, I maintain that the biggest thing that went wrong is Marvel mandating a gritty, street-level tone that simply didn't suit the material in the way it did the other Marvel Netflix properties.

That's not to say that more emphasis on K'un L'un and the supernatural elements, in and of itself, would fix everything wrong with the show (Jones' casting, fight choreography), but I suspect those other issues are symptomatic of a general lack of creative vision for the material, and I think that in turn results from trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I kind of wonder if the troubled production has anything to do with the low production values the show has. It took them a while to figure out things and get the series going and it was delayed for a long time.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Gyges posted:

In no universe does Finn Jones have the body of a man who trained for 15 years to defend the gates of heaven via punching a dragon.

He has the body of a man who has done enough cardio to fight wave after wave of ninjas :colbert:

Hollismason posted:

I kind of wonder if the troubled production has anything to do with the low production values the show has. It took them a while to figure out things and get the series going and it was delayed for a long time.

Yeah, I'm up to episode 8, and I was thinking that one thing they could've improved is to make the set-piece fights more... grandiose, maybe? Like emulate more the classic Kung-Fu films that inspired the comic, with better sets and making the Hand flunkies more distinctive. Like Ep. 8 spoiler: the Drunken Master fight.

I still think the show is good, just that compared to the rest of Marvel Netflix it's too straightforward in just being Iron Fist's origin story. Daredevil had the whole Catholic guilt and two side-ness of him and Fisk in S1, Jessica Jones was also about abuse and ptsd, and Luke Cage had commentary about the problems of black people and the showcase of Harlem culture.

Iron Fist's thing is martial arts and far-east mysticism, and that's a well that's been almost run dry in the past three decades, so there isn't much for them to draw from that we haven't seen already in many, many other films and tv shows.

Edit: A good example of a good set-piece fight is Daredevil's S1 fight against Nobu. These are immortal ninjas, so it could've been a good excuse for Iron Fist finishing their fights in more creative ways/Mortal Kombat finisher style.

Kal-L fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 18, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

That's not to say that more emphasis on K'un L'un and the supernatural elements, in and of itself, would fix everything wrong with the show (Jones' casting, fight choreography), but I suspect those other issues are symptomatic of a general lack of creative vision for the material, and I think that in turn results from trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Jesus, yes. There were so many times I kept expecting "OK, this is where we'll start establishing flashbacks to his rescue, training and friendships in K'un-L'un", but nope.

However, I do like how they've set up the Big Bad for next season. Which really should have been this season, but got to set up the Defenders, I guess.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Ep. 13 spoiler - I've never disliked Claire's character before, but man did she suck in that last episode. The don't killing thing, fine. She's a nurse and I get her stance on that. Especially since an alive Harold would help Danny clear his name easier. That whole "Your first response to everything is violence" speech though? Ugh, gag me. Reminded me of Foggy. I kept waiting for some kind of "but" or something, but it never came. She just smirked a lot and left. Maybe I missed something there. Even IF and Colleen just sorta awkwardly look after she leaves.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
Ep 13: It's not 100% impossible for Howard to come back right? He did regrow his little finger after ward killed him, so depending on how literally "only decapitation can kill him" is applied he could come back. If Ward and Danny were sensible they would have decapitated him first, but they're idiots.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

Ep 13: It's not 100% impossible for Howard to come back right? He did regrow his little finger after ward killed him, so depending on how literally "only decapitation can kill him" is applied he could come back. If Ward and Danny were sensible they would have decapitated him first, but they're idiots.
Eh, that would be extremely stupid, even for them. And I imagine they'll scatter the ashes or flush him down the toilet anyway.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Are we talking about Iron Fist in this thread now?

Ep5: what the gently caress, no that is not the symbol for Shao Lao the Undying. Shao Lao has wings you loving idiot. It's god damned Steel Serpent.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Gyges posted:

In no universe does Finn Jones have the body of a man who trained for 15 years to defend the gates of heaven via punching a dragon.

Not everyone can develop a body as beautiful as Fat Cobra.

I like the show fine, so far (on episode 3). It's not the best Marvel Netflix series, and the fight choreography/editing have problems - which is tragic given the source material - but this is nothing I'd describe as bad.

Maybe I just had chronically lowered expectations after the reviews came out, but I put up with three seasons of Arrow before calling it quits on that garbage, so this? This is fine.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Junkfist posted:

I actually really enjoyed Dexter all the way to the end, with the exception of season 6's main plot which fell flat for me (the Colin Hanks guy). And Michael C. Hall always knocked that role out of the park. Dexter always looked very slick, I see John Dahl also directed some of this too (a great director who did a lot of Dexter and various cool movies). Who knows what happened here, maybe netflix ran out of time/money for this one, or was just looking to get going on The Defenders. Though I thought Luke Cage was quite bad and with bad fights.

I'll still try all their new stuff, hopefully they stop rushing it I guess, and put more money into it. And better writing wouldn't hurt. And we can't pin all of it on the showrunner, there are writers involved, higher ups at Marvel/Netflix making decisions, etc.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 18, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Ep5 still: Go punch the chemical plant, Danny Rand!

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Finished the series. Ward was the best character for me surprisingly. I found he and his dad's weird semi-sensible bad guy actions totally reasonable most of the time. Harold's shadow directions which usually amounted to, "Just roll with and do the sensible thing to avoid more problems" were especially amusing to me, because going in I expected a lot more villainous mustache twirling and back stabbing but there was actually some understandable motivations used. Ward was also largely sympathetic throughout and I was worried a hard villain turn was coming from him, so it was nice to see him on the side of good when it came down to it.

Finn as Danny was a bit off putting, they were deliberately making him immature but it plays a bit weird for the lead to be like that throughout the season's run. Makes caring for him difficult. I thought maybe they would explain that something from the dragon made him run "hot" or cause him some imbalance in his chi, but we never got that. The fight choreography was fine, I guess I don't find it as bad as some people. It's never bad per se. It's fine for a Netflix show, which I guess is the biggest damning praise you can give for it, since this particular series screams for something fantastic.

I also enjoyed both Colleen and Joy, thought they brought some new interesting angles to the Netflix corner of the universe. When we started getting hints about something being hidden in Colleen's backstory, I thought maybe they were going to somehow tie her in to Danny's dragon due to her nickname.

Claire was fine, doing her thing as she tends to do in these. I thought her first scenes where she crashed the dinner was fun. Also sign me up for her as White Tiger, Colleen and Misty to get their own show.

Madame Gao being in the Hand was also weird. I expected early that Harold was blaming it on the Hand as a fake out. Then I thought later on, well Gao is faking being in the Hand... Then, well, no Gao actually was in the Hand all along? Waa? Strange way to set that up, would have to go back to Daredevil to see if that still makes sense.

Teek fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 18, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I guest entire season spoilers What the gently caress we are never going to see Kun Lun or him fight a actual dragon. This is bullshit. I thought eventually we'd see something of the heavenly city but nope

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Falstaff posted:

Not everyone can develop a body as beautiful as Fat Cobra.

I like the show fine, so far (on episode 3). It's not the best Marvel Netflix series, and the fight choreography/editing have problems - which is tragic given the source material - but this is nothing I'd describe as bad.

Maybe I just had chronically lowered expectations after the reviews came out, but I put up with three seasons of Arrow before calling it quits on that garbage, so this? This is fine.

That is very action soap opera cheesy, but in kind of a good way (at least for the two seasons I watched). Just for Deathstroke alone I rate that second season pretty well, there was some entertaining stuff. At least the show was fast paced and had some charm.

But I do expect better stuff from netflix, since I really love Daredevil and Jessica Jones. That is much better stuff than Arrow or Agents of Shield.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
rofl

https://twitter.com/Lexialex/status/843141771013980160

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

And she directed an episode of Arrow, which is just further evidence that it may be the better show. (I don't dispute that it may have jumped some sharks at some point, not talking about you King Shark)

And the guy who was in that Punisher movie she did was great in Dexter season 7, it's all connected.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
To be fair I'm sure in the next few years Lexi Alexander will be able to tell us how they got mental hospitals wrong too.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
nearing the end, the show is not 100% terrible but Finn Jones is not a strong enough lead, he just doesn't have the presence or I guess credibility in the role as Jon Bernthal, Krysten Ritter, Mike Colter or Charlie Cox.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Charlie Cox was not much better. I don't think acting is the problem, though. The writing is just not there.

And there are a lot of other issues. Just sort of mashing all Asian martial arts together. Seperating Iron Fist's kung fu training from Daredevil's ninja training would have been a good way to make the shows seem unique from each other.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Heavy Metal posted:

And she directed an episode of Arrow, which is just further evidence that it may be the better show. (I don't dispute that it may have jumped some sharks at some point, not talking about you King Shark)

And the guy who was in that Punisher movie she did was great in Dexter season 7, it's all connected.

Arrow is a great show that becomes a terrible show that becomes an ok show that becomes a terrible show.

Just finished, pretty much same impressions as in my last post. Unforgivably boring and poorly done fights, Danny somehow became the worst part of the cast, but by the time that happened I was genuinely invested in the side characters and that weirdly balanced it out. Pretty much agree with the bulk of the reviews saying this is just an aggressively mediocre show. It wasn't terrible, it won't go down as some marvel shame or whatever, but for a show about a character that goes to the mystic city of heaven, gains the power of the immortal dragon, and vows to spend his life fighting ninjas and other other super powered kung-fu people this show somehow managed to be dull and forgettable which is almost impossible.

I am still interested in Defenders though. Danny sucks real bad, but him playing off guys like Jessica and Luke will hopefully help him define himself more. Take him from "WHY WON'T YOU TAKE ME SERIOUSLY WHEN I TALK ABOUT GOING TO CHINESE HEAVEN AND BECOMING THE DRAGON WARRIOR????" and make him more 'Hey, I'm a fighter steeped in mystic training, my perspective of things is different from a dude who got injected with chemicals to be bullet proof or a blind guy who's martial arts training was more practical than spiritual'.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Ep6: up until this challenge fight, the fight scenes have been pretty decent. This one is really bad. For a scene where he needs to stay inside the ring, there is 0 shot continuity and he teleports all.kver the ring between shots. I'll be like "oh poo poo, they are ousbing hik to the edge if the ring! His foot is right on the edge!" And then instead of it being a moment of tension in the fight, hes back in the middle when the camera angle changes. This is incredibly poor synergy between visual and expositional storytelling. Like, the position of the fighters changing in the room between cuts would be a lot more forgivable if they didn't literally tell me it was important.

Also, gently caress dude, just use your fuckin'g super power and win in like 2 seconds. You fought like 8 dudes with hatchets and now you are like "oh poo poo, two guus with knives, what if I can't beat them? Better not activate the iron fist for instant knockouts..."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'd probably put this on the very bottom of any of the TV series. AOS including which I don't care for. It's not to horrible but it's not that great either. They just didn't do a great job of the series and it shits the bed constantly.

It sucks to because all we get to see is a tease of the power of the Iron Fist like at the very end which sucks

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 18, 2017

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Ugh. Episode 10. I'm not sure I can do this anymore.

I think when making a show that revolves around martial arts, it would have been a much better idea to get an MMA guy or somebody who is in the business of face punching, and then help them with the acting, rather than the reverse, which is what they did here (arguably- the acting isn't great either). I would have been perfectly okay with a blank-faced MMA featherweight dude in a hoody hamming up the lines arnold-style if the fight choreography was on point.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The majority of the fights in this are basically just regular TV kung fu fights we see on any other show there's really nothing special about them . I think that's the disappointment people have. It's just nothing special at all. The thing is you know Marvel has fight coordinators look at Daredevil that has excellent really great fights and this just is like " Meh".

I expect the 2nd Season to be just the Airplane crash on repeat for 13 hours.

Out of everything Marvel has made this is probably one of the worst things they have made.

LOL

http://deadline.com/2016/12/iron-fist-ep-scott-buck-showrun-marvels-the-inhumans-abc-1201865556/

Some poo poo decisions being made here.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Hollismason posted:

The majority of the fights in this are basically just regular TV kung fu fights we see on any other show there's really nothing special about them . I think that's the disappointment people have. It's just nothing special at all. The thing is you know Marvel has fight coordinators look at Daredevil that has excellent really great fights and this just is like " Meh".

I expect the 2nd Season to be just the Airplane crash on repeat for 13 hours.

I'd credit that to having DeKnight as the showrunner on season 1 of Daredevil, since that was such an emphasis on Spartacus as well. Good looking fights doesn't seem like a thing Marvel itself really cares about.