Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Double post, but FYI you can get ~50% off Eagle Flight at the Ubisoft store at the moment (£16.79). They're offering 30% off here: http://store.ubi.com/uk/eagle-fligh...om_2211_ID38255
...and you can get the extra 20% off by picking up a free 100 Upoints code here: https://club.ubisoft.com/en-US/shop-discount (apply that code on the 'View Basket' page in the store).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

El Grillo posted:

One way to increase immersion in zero gravity games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S01xXGlXZnU

I don't see how stringing yourself up like that is suppsoed to increase immersion, it's just uncomfortable. They used to have a 'flight simulator' at Ars Electronica Center, but really the only thing that had going for it were the (delayed) motions.

http://www.aec.at/futurelab/en/project/humphrey/
http://www.aec.at/futurelab/en/project/humphrey-ii/

SEKCobra fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 18, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah if you want zero you have to get one of those custom aquatic vr setups. Good for both space AND water games

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

SEKCobra posted:

I don't see how stringing yourself up like that is suppsoed to increase immersion, it's just uncomfortable.
Uh all the best immersion-increasing VR devices have the look of torture chamber equipment I'll have you know

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

El Grillo posted:

Uh all the best immersion-increasing VR devices have the look of torture chamber equipment I'll have you know

Makes sense.

It was built for VR BSDM and they figured out how to spread the cost of R&D to bring it to other VR "experiences".

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009
I won't be immersed in VR until I'm attached to a robotic arm in a pool of body temperature saltwater

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I won't be immersed in VR unless people drive bullets slowly into my cranium while I play Superhot

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

El Grillo posted:

This underwater survival-horror is coming on March 28th and looks... terrifying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFMEF5CCxt8

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this. nope nope nope

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Pretty surprised that I stumbled upon Anyland instead of hearing about it anywhere. It's truely a garrysmod-type social game. I've tried some of the other "social" apps but none seemed to get people talking more than the stuff in Anyland. You can build and script just about anything, and the creator is obviously a genius. Every time I jump into one of the (sadly underpopulated) rooms, it feels so surreal. Beside the fact that it's 2 or so updates away from being a bit more friendly, stable, and usable, anyone who has VR should have this game, especially for the fair-as-hell price of $12.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Has anyone tried Left Hand Path? Magic-based Dark Souls-esque first person RPG. It looks really cool, still in early access though: http://store.steampowered.com/app/488760/

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

El Grillo posted:

Has anyone tried Left Hand Path? Magic-based Dark Souls-esque first person RPG. It looks really cool, still in early access though: http://store.steampowered.com/app/488760/

I haven't got very far in this, due to spooking myself good and hard every time (and only having played it after midnight for some reason). The rooms are DARK. From what little I've played, though, I like it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Well, I was planning to hold off for second gen headsets, but the Rift price drop combined with selling my old PC for $600 seems a bit too coincidental to ignore. Anyone know what all free games are included now with Rift? I know Robo Recall is, but not sure if the launch freebie bundle is still included or not.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

Well, I was planning to hold off for second gen headsets, but the Rift price drop combined with selling my old PC for $600 seems a bit too coincidental to ignore. Anyone know what all free games are included now with Rift? I know Robo Recall is, but not sure if the launch freebie bundle is still included or not.

Out of the launch freebies, the only one you won't get is The Unspoken. Eve valkerie was a pre order thing that you won't get either. I just got one the day of the price drop.

Free things appear to be Lucky's Tale, Robo Recall, Dead & Buried, Quill, Medium, and First Contact (I think was the name).

There are a few free games that you can grab from the store as well, they aren't automatically added to the library, so troll through there to pick things up. I saw a gamepad version of Minecraft, Herobound (which is decent and free on GearVR as well), quite a few experiences and VR animated movies.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Phuzun posted:

Out of the launch freebies, the only one you won't get is The Unspoken. Eve valkerie was a pre order thing that you won't get either. I just got one the day of the price drop.

Free things appear to be Lucky's Tale, Robo Recall, Dead & Buried, Quill, Medium, and First Contact (I think was the name).

There are a few free games that you can grab from the store as well, they aren't automatically added to the library, so troll through there to pick things up. I saw a gamepad version of Minecraft, Herobound (which is decent and free on GearVR as well), quite a few experiences and VR animated movies.

Cool, sounds like Eve Valkyrie is no big loss anyway. Now the question is do I run to Best Buy and get it today, or wait until after I beat the new Mass Effect???

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

Cool, sounds like Eve Valkyrie is no big loss anyway. Now the question is do I run to Best Buy and get it today, or wait until after I beat the new Mass Effect???

For me, VR ruined flat screen games for quite awhile, so I would say beat ME first, otherwise you might think non stop how much better it would be in VR :)

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Poetic Justice posted:

For me, VR ruined flat screen games for quite awhile, so I would say beat ME first, otherwise you might think non stop how much better it would be in VR :)

Yeah, you won't be getting back to ME for awhile, if you do. Also, ordering online to skip any local tax is a bonus...I was impatient and paid the extra $45.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Phuzun posted:

Yeah, you won't be getting back to ME for awhile, if you do. Also, ordering online to skip any local tax is a bonus...I was impatient and paid the extra $45.

Amazon started charging sales tax in our state this year :(

I think I will wait a bit though, still finishing up Horizon on ps4 anyway.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

Amazon started charging sales tax in our state this year :(

I think I will wait a bit though, still finishing up Horizon on ps4 anyway.

I ment or direct from Oculus, no shipping either. I bought a 3rd sensor, no tax or shipping, took a week.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Phuzun posted:

Yes can confirm that list if you have Oculus + touch as someone who didn't preorder either. Bulletrain I believe is free althought not much of a game. Herobound: Spirit Champion is free, Henry (it's like a 5 minute cute movie). It appears Ripcoil is still free with any purchase. I just tested by buying a $.99 cent experience and Ripcoil showed up in my library immediately. I think Minecraft Win 10 is free as well.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Stick100 posted:

Yes can confirm that list if you have Oculus + touch as someone who didn't preorder either. Bulletrain I believe is free althought not much of a game. Herobound: Spirit Champion is free, Henry (it's like a 5 minute cute movie). It appears Ripcoil is still free with any purchase. I just tested by buying a $.99 cent experience and Ripcoil showed up in my library immediately. I think Minecraft Win 10 is free as well.

Minecraft Win 10 is a demo, they don't say so but you need $10 to unlock the full thing, otherwise you can play for 40 mins without saving. It's decent if you wanna get the idea of whether or not you like the locomotion and stuff. Minecrift/Vivecraft probably is much better since it has mods and stuff, not sure if that and Java murder the framerate though.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Vivecraft is pretty great, and the general consensus seems to be that it does a much better job than the official stuff at adapting the game to VR. Performance is adequate even on minimally VR-capable hardware.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I planed on trying a few minutes of Rec Room today. You know, tryout a game or two for 15 minutes or so. I went into the quest room and was the 4th person to join that instance. I finally logged off an hour later having learned that Quest was fun as hell and that I should never be allowed near the bow because I can't aim for poo poo when I'm not accidentally team killing.

Soundboxing continues to be fun. I've taken to browsing the latest challenges to get a good variety. There's someone out there who loving loves anime soundtracks though.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
So after some calling around, the store I bough t the Vive from is probably gonna Exchagne the controller on the spot (= awesome). But they actually wanted me to bring the whole set so they can replace all of it. Should I go through the effort of tearing the Vive down just to get everything new^^?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Why wouldn't you? Did you mount your basestations on the wall? Even then, it wouldn't be too much to take them down and replace them.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Warbird posted:

Why wouldn't you? Did you mount your basestations on the wall? Even then, it wouldn't be too much to take them down and replace them.

Because what's the point, it's just a hassle to dismount, put back in the box and take to the store, the Vive is like a week or two old anyway. Just taking the controller is far easier.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

SEKCobra posted:

Because what's the point, it's just a hassle to dismount, put back in the box and take to the store, the Vive is like a week or two old anyway. Just taking the controller is far easier.

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't accept just the controller.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Exactly. I have one as well, screwed in at that, and it's not really a hassle to disassemble and pack into its box.

They're not going to just hand you a new controller, they're going to take the unit and get HTC to refund them the amount they paid for the unit to sell you since it's defective. HTC will want the unit shipped back to tear down and look through and if the vendor doesn't supply it they likely won't pay. This is pretty standard stuff. Them giving you a new shrink wrapped box and shipping the old one off for repair/resale is the most cost effective way for them to do things.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Well they said I can bring just the controller after I asked.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Someone in their supply chain org structure needs to be fired then. Just bring it by if they don't care.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Warbird posted:

Someone in their supply chain org structure needs to be fired then. Just bring it by if they don't care.

I figure they are just gonna swap the controller with another pack and then return that pack as damaged, from what the lady said.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

SEKCobra posted:

I figure they are just gonna swap the controller with another pack and then return that pack as damaged, from what the lady said.

This is what Costco let me for a security system we bought. I had run the wires through the walls. They let us exchange just a single camera and returned that whole box.

Has nothing to do with VR really but big time retail places can do that sort of thing.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I'm trying to justify a reason to undo all the cabling, take down the base stations and pack everything up, but I really can't see that time spent being worth it to replace fully working components.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
So..... Rock Band VR is coming out in two days??

They have put a trailer up showing 'performance mode' gameplay. Something about it seems a bit off to me. Maybe they've just stitched random bits of gameplay together in a clunky way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8u403Tt_Mk
Do many people still have these guitars around?

The first two comments on that video pretty much sum up my feelings:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

So judging from that video you just spaz out and fill in circles, note charts are no longer a thing? That looks so loving bad.

e: Ordered my Rift from Oculus yesterday, anyone know roughly how long they take to ship? Haven't gotten a tracking email yet.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I think they may finally have realised that the number of people with the required hardware for Rock Band VR is in the low triple digits, and at this point are releasing it just to fulfil their contractual obligation to Oculus.

Oculus were almost certainly counting on it making great promotional videos even though it wouldn't sell, but it turns out that the game looks garbage and footage of people playing fake guitars in VR headsets looks worse. Who could have guessed. :geno:

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Having just gotten Touch, I still get nervous flailing around even without adding a large plastic guitar into the mix.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

https://uploadvr.com/rock-band-vr-lot-less-ces/

quote:

A new game mode built specifically for VR won’t require you to battle with the traditional note structure seen in the past games and countless spin-offs. Instead, Rock Band VR is far more liberal with how it lets you play songs in this new mode. You make up the chords to tracks by simply holding down any combination of multiple notes that fit the loose suggestions. The only real challenge comes from changing those chords at the right time. Alongside the visual ques, the Touch controller mounted to the end of your guitar will vibrate as a countdown for when to switch.

At least one person liked it though:
https://uploadvr.com/rock-band-vr-finally-turned-dave-grohl/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

El Grillo posted:

So..... Rock Band VR is coming out in two days??

They have put a trailer up showing 'performance mode' gameplay. Something about it seems a bit off to me. Maybe they've just stitched random bits of gameplay together in a clunky way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8u403Tt_Mk
Do many people still have these guitars around?

The first two comments on that video pretty much sum up my feelings:

I think you can just go to any Goodwill and fish one out of the pile

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

"But don’t worry — the note stream mode is still here in full effect if you want that."

Sounds like you can switch on old-school note lane gameplay then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

"But don’t worry — the note stream mode is still here in full effect if you want that."

Sounds like you can switch on old-school note lane gameplay then?

I wonder how that would work, if the note lane moves with you or what.

I really loved GH/Rock Band years ago, so hopefully someone here picks this up and can let us know if it's total garbage or not.