Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Nolan Arenado posted:

This is my second favorite Gamecock moment, first is Devan Downey taking down undefeated Kentucky in 2010.

Oh yeah, Devan Downey is one of my favorite basketball humans for sure. Sindarius Thornwell is better than him, but Downey was truly heroic for having literally nothing else around him.

Kibner posted:

Was that the game that was all darude all the time? Because that owned.

Ha, yup. At one point, even Demarcus Cousins was bobbing his head along to it during a timeout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Uh, alright
https://twitter.com/goodmanespn/status/843191589258366976

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
OK, was worried Mizzou would have more trouble recruiting St. Louis but I guess not anymore.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Uh, this is your hire Illinois? Well color me underwhelmed.

Edit - not at all who I expected. Unless he keeps Walker on staff I think Tilmon is gone. He needs to keep Tilmon, he's made good connections in St. Louis.

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 18, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

americanzero4128 posted:

Edit - not at all who I expected. Unless he keeps Walker on staff I think Tilmon is gone. He needs to keep Tilmon, he's made good connections in St. Louis.

Cuonzo's already offered Walker a job, so as a Missouri fan I hope he takes it. If I were an Illinois fan I'd hope Underwood offers him more than he needs to stay.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

americanzero4128 posted:

Wait, really? Underwood's a good coach.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Chieves posted:

Wait, really? Underwood's a good coach.

Seriously, he was the hot hire last year after turning Stephen F Austin into a powerhouse (and they immediately declined after he left, even if a lot of that is losing a big senior class). And then he turned OSU's season after it looked like it would be a year lost to transition. A bit surprised he'd jump that soon, but he's as likely to succeed as anyone without direct Chicago connections.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
oh boy another uninspiring Illinois hire

edit: wait, his team was 6th in scoring. that's pretty encouraging

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 19, 2017

Wooglin
Sep 5, 2002

elentar posted:

without direct Chicago connections.

But hasn't that been one of the problems?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

When can we expect sports journalists to stop writing bizarre thinkpieces about how mean Indiana was to Crean? Asking for a friend.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
that was some alley oop attempt, Northwestern

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I wanted Drew first Underwood second last year. Better late than never.

E:walker is staying as well

gvibes fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 18, 2017

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

americanzero4128 posted:

Ummm, Underwood is great.

Apparently the pre-req to get hired by Illinois is to play Michigan in the tournament.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
Underwood is an extremely good coach. The only question is whether he can recruit. I'm a little suspicious when a highly-regarded assistant gets passed over for head coaching jobs until they're middle aged

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

BEHOLD my amazing predictive powers - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762604#post455723085

gvibes posted:

Who will be the next Illinois head coach?

Gregggg Marshall, Archie Miller, and Chris Mack are probably the dream candidates, but are all probably going to be too expensive and/or not willing to leave.

Just right: Bryce Drew, Valpo

Low-budget option: Brad Underwood, Stephen F. Austin

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

N: the defending national champions, Villanova, are no longer in the tournament

V: Badgers bitch

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Underwood is good and it's funny that Illinois will probably hire a better coach than Indiana

also clearly Wisconsin as an 8 and Minnesota as a 5 was brilliant seeding good job Mark Hollis you cretin

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery
Somewhere an Oklahoma State fan is making a "pissing on an Underwood shirt" video.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

With so few great finishes tonight, I've been watching old ones on Youtube.

Al McGuire's call of James Forrest's prayer for Georgia Tech in 1992 is great.

Iowa State blowing a game to 15th seed Hampton in 2001.

Valparaiso misses miracle shot, bailed out anyway because Ole Miss can't make free throws.

Because I like watching Duke lose to Lehigh.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Underwood is good and it's funny that Illinois will probably hire a better coach than Indiana

also clearly Wisconsin as an 8 and Minnesota as a 5 was brilliant seeding good job Mark Hollis you cretin

Dat RPI/SOS though.

Besides, Wisconsin had the better matchup anyway.

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

elentar posted:

Keatts is official at NC State. Seems awful quick but then I guess they've been working on this in the background for more than a month now. Pretty young still, lots of connections in the region and beyond, has a reputation as an elite recruiter. Think it's a pretty good hire, all told. Definitely beats the hell out of the last couple searches.

He's going to be Extremely Good.

Look at how good his teams have been after inheriting a program that was one of the worst in the country, and how well he has done in limited action against ACC teams with far superior talent. Add in the ability to recruit 5 star players, bigs that aren't 6'4", etc.....

I also thought NC State was going to be good this year too though, so feel free to ignore everything I say

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

N: the defending national champions, Villanova, are no longer in the tournament

V: Badgers bitch

N: Wisconsin basketball is still poison

V: At least UVA got humiliated

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

PUSSY MASTER 007 posted:

N: Wisconsin basketball is still poison

V: At least UVA got humiliated

You are correct, Forums Poster PUSSY MASTER 007. Absolutely humiliated.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Washington hired Mike Hopkins away from Syracuse. Tell me what opinion I'm supposed to have about him.

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

Benne posted:

Washington hired Mike Hopkins away from Syracuse. Tell me what opinion I'm supposed to have about him.

Can't be much worse then what we've seen the last 6 years at least

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's kinda hard to know what to think of him because he's only ever been an assistant at Syracuse, other than stepping in as interim while Boeheim was suspended. He played at Syracuse and was there forever, I'm really surprised he left after being officially named the coach in waiting. I can't loving stand watching Syracuse so have fun with that.

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

MourningView posted:

It's kinda hard to know what to think of him because he's only ever been an assistant at Syracuse, other than stepping in as interim while Boeheim was suspended. He played at Syracuse and was there forever, I'm really surprised he left after being officially named the coach in waiting. I can't loving stand watching Syracuse so have fun with that.

Watching UW basketball for like the last 3 years has been about as fun as clawing your own eyes out, so...

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

MourningView posted:

Does that mean Boeheim isn't really retiring?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Regnevelc posted:

That's what Syracuse fans are thinking and they're over the moon about it but I've been thinking Boeheim is running out of steam for a couple years now.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

That's what Syracuse fans are thinking and they're over the moon about it but I've been thinking Boeheim is running out of steam for a couple years now.

They got lucky in the tournament last year, but yeah Syracuse has been trending downwards.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Regnevelc posted:

Could be that, or he just realizes that replacing him is going to be nearly impossible and doesn't want to deal with it.

Hey, KJI, congrats on being a Vanderbilt football fan

https://twitter.com/rutgersmbb/status/843528761156890624

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

stealing big ten valor

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
No gently caress that, every Big Ten team should lose every game.

Seeding is small sample size bullshit, although the fuckery with MSU, Minnesota, Wisconsin being improperly seeded has been debated ad nauseam. Conference strength still is determined by the mean and not the top of the conference though!

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Is IU smart enough to hire Gregg Marshall?

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Kim Jong Il posted:

Conference strength still is determined by the mean and not the top of the conference though!

I'm glad you're coming around on Rutgers not being in the Big 10

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

gvibes posted:

Is IU smart enough to hire Gregg Marshall?

First opening in a while where I could imagine him doing it, but for some reason I bet they don't.

e: Or he decides not to, which is possible.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 19, 2017

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

First opening in a while where I could imagine him doing it, but for some reason I bet they don't.

e: Or he decides not to, which is possible.

He makes a poo poo ton of money, so he may just retire there, but it must suck to go 30-4 and get a ten seed.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Smart move by Hopkins, go to UW and do well, let someone else be the post-Boheim fall guy, then ride back into town as the hero Syracuse Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I'm glad you're coming around on Rutgers not being in the Big 10

I hate you fuckers and want you all to die.

• Locked thread