Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

when i was really young i used to think that what was going on was the the poor people were like "we need food" and Marie was like "let them eat cake" and then threw the cake out the window for them to eat

i kinda wish i'd never gained context cause the idea of some rich french lady throwing cake out a window at people is still funny to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

One thing I read a long time ago (possibly in the Straight Dope, take it for what that's worth) is that "cake" could have been a mistranslation or a misunderstanding of the term as it was used at the time, which was to refer to crusty leftover batter; that is, she was saying the poors could just dine on scraps. Not sure if that really changes the tone of contempt and disconnectedness associated with the quote, but it's an interesting footnote.

The untranslated, though still completely apocryphal, sentence is about brioche.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I'm probably not the first person to say this, but, I'm going to wager that this is the theme for the duration of Trump's presidency.
"Well, we can't defend his horrible poo poo, so we're going to try to draw false equivalence and keep up the narrative that both sides are equally as bad."

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

mandatory lesbian posted:

when i was really young i used to think that what was going on was the the poor people were like "we need food" and Marie was like "let them eat cake" and then threw the cake out the window for them to eat

i kinda wish i'd never gained context cause the idea of some rich french lady throwing cake out a window at people is still funny to me

And even if false, some dumb rich house wife just trying to give cakes out to people out of the naive ,yet possible kindness of her heart is better than the "POOR PEOPLE DESERVE TO SUFFER" mentality of the current self stylized aristocracy. Hell, Maire probably had more voice and importance than Ivanka.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Crabtree posted:

And even if false, some dumb rich house wife just trying to give cakes out to people out of the naive ,yet possible kindness of her heart is better than the "POOR PEOPLE DESERVE TO SUFFER" mentality of the current self stylized aristocracy.

It's would be better than what Marie Antoinette actually did, which was pissing away the money on gambling and a village where she could cosplay as a poor peasant.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Alhazred posted:

It's would be better than what Marie Antoinette actually did, which was pissing away the money on gambling and a village where she could cosplay as a poor peasant.

This always brings sunshine to my black heart:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_to_Varennes

(the wiki article doesn't do it justice, worth researching further)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

The Indian is actually the worst.

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

Man, Trump's just going to straight-up murder that donkey. Like, in one of the worst ways imaginable.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The Democratic Party got complacent, and now we're all going to pay the price. A :smith: cartoon.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

while i understand it's marty two bulls and therefore what his point is, I could see this being drawn (poorly) by someone like bill leak (rest in piss) and not having anything be different in the actual image

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Well it's good that you recognize context is important.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Well clearly the CDC doesn't need those Segways.

Sandpuppy fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 18, 2017

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Young Orc
Pretty sure that isn't how the NEA works

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Sir Tonk posted:

And even if it was, why can't the government buy art?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sir Tonk posted:

No, I'm pretty sure it Steals Money from Cool And Good White Men who loving beat their wives and gives it to Brown Douches who Waste It on Backwards Ball Caps

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Actually just a Kelly cartoon

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Aren't private collectors the ones who spend millions on artwork these days?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Those clowns in the Knesset don't need to dress up as clowns for Purim as well.
Dogie-sitter
"The Media"
"Try to make sure it comes back without a pulse"
Yisrael Beiteinu
"Our word is just a word."
"And they say we don't have a fighting opposition"
Tzuk Eytan report.
"Cheer up, you'll get it right next time, or the time after that".
2014 war in Gaza "Tzuk Eytan" report
"2017 war in Gaza - Start filling this out.
Military robot project - out.
Robot to replace that clown in politics - in.

Anyone got the "poopie pants, I hate him" Ramirez edit?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Yes Lester we know you're an exemplar of the Dunning-Kruger Effect, you can stop bragging about it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Those clowns in Knesset, what a bunch of clowns.

.Edward Penischin
Jun 5, 2008

LOL at Lester thinking he's an artist.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

D.N. Nation posted:

The Indian is actually the worst.

While true, it's very frustrating how under the radar the Notre Dame mascot flies.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I assume Dooche the artist also pays taxes.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Johnny Walker posted:

Of course he doesn't. He'd be rightfully homeless if it wasn't for liberals.:argh:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i really like that lester thinks his scribbles are somehow any better then just spraypainting some circles on a canvas

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

rydiafan posted:

While true, it's very frustrating how under the radar the Notre Dame mascot flies.

The Irish have successfully integrated into mainstream American culture and no one cares anymore that their heritage gets turned into goofy little mascots or excuses to have drunken parties. Cultural atrocities committed against mainstream cultures don't really count.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Johnny Walker posted:

Which is then spent on more art.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Alhazred posted:

It really is a vicious, unending cycle of cultural enrichment... is what I would say if the original cartoonist's work was any good. As it stands they're just trying to make up for it.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Alhazred posted:

A dooche ouroboros.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

This fuckin guy.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Starshark posted:

This always brings sunshine to my black heart:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_to_Varennes

(the wiki article doesn't do it justice, worth researching further)

A day dream pops up into my mind that the Trumps try to flee a military uprising and fail to get as far as Fairfax Virigina because Trump couldn't fit into the car they stole or that he got into an argument with the border guard looking for him over how he couldn't be the real thing.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Ain't going to quote it again, but pretend I quoted that Lester with derisive laughter underneath it.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Garrison posted:

I drew this cartoon earlier this week in the anticipation that Geert Wilders might win the Dutch election. Wilders stood for halting the rising tide of Islam in the Netherlands as well as Europe. He was also for stemming the EU’s globalist hegemony and returning power to the people. Naturally, the EU loves endless Muslim immigration because it weakens nationalism and allows globalism to tighten its grip.

We also heard the cries of “Nazi” from such leaders as Erdogan, who himself is much more akin to Hitler than anyone protesting Islam. After all, the Turkish tyrant wants Islam to conquer Europe and he hopes to control that new ‘caliphate.’ He told his fellow Turks at home and in Europe that “You are the future of Europe.” He continues to threaten a dump of millions more Muslim ‘immigrants’ into Europe while calling for a holy war, or jihad. This will mean even more crime and terrorism committed by Muslim immigrants throughout Europe.

Wilders and LePen are at least trying to create some momentum to stop that invasion. They’re not only trying to protect their own countries, but they’re also raising awareness that western civilization itself is at stake. Do we really want to see Europe fall to Sharia Law? There will be honor killings and child marriages (like the one their leader Mohammed himself had—he married a nine year-old). Do we really want to see gays prosecuted? Stoning and beheadings? There will be rise in female sexual mutilations as well as the general oppression of women. Christians and Jews will be attacked. This is how Islam spreads—by force. I too once bought the malarky that Islam is a religion of peace. No, it has always spread by violence. Lebanon used to be a Christian country. Now it’s Muslim. Afghanistan used to be Buddhist. Now it’s Muslim. Pakistan used to be a Hindu country. Now Muslim by force.

My friend Enrique from Spain told me that we shouldn’t give up just yet. Wilders gained seats. Le Pen may not win either, but awareness is being raised. So I decided to publish this cartoon anyway.
It’s time to get over the Political Correctness hurdle and start trying to save western civilization while there’s still time.

— Ben Garrison

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

But hey, spending that money on jets we'll never use is A-OK.

Atlantic posted:

On Thursday morning, President Trump’s proposal for the federal budget confirmed a fact long suspected: the proposed elimination of the National Endowment for the Arts, the National Endowment for the Humanities, the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. Together, the four groups receive less than a billion dollars a year, with the NEA and the NEH costing taxpayers $148 million a year each—approximately 0.004 percent of the federal budget individually. Their elimination would be largely symbolic, signaling the Trump administration’s intent to slash spending it sees as “wasteful” while potentially spending 146 times as much as the NEA’s annual allotment on a border wall whose efficacy even Republican lawmakers have disputed.

If you're an average American household, your federal tax burden is about $9,000. So the wily National Endowment for the Arts is stealing about $0.36 from you to fund those lazy moochers.

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 18, 2017

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Goddamn Garrison, what benefit do you get from Nationalism in a foreign country?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Cloks posted:

Goddamn Garrison, what benefit do you get from Nationalism in a foreign country?

M O S L E M H O R D E S

_______\|
:shuldigsay:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I refuse to believe a cartoonist can draw four boots on a windmill without that symbol being intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Cloks posted:

Nazi solidarity.

Trapezium Dave posted:

I refuse to believe a cartoonist can draw four boots on a windmill without that symbol being intentional.

Nice catch.

• Locked thread