Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
My god this S2 James subplot is a garbage fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Luchadork posted:

I like to think that it was written by the actor.
"And then he rides off on his motorcycle and makes out with a sexy older woman and"
"Okay, James! Fine, just get out of my office."

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Alan Wake definitely has a Twin Peaks influence, but I feel like Steven King is a much bigger influence.

But speaking of Remedy games, I liked that the first Max Payne had its own parody of Invitation to Love throughout it.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
I can't put into words how much I love Gordon Cole. Lynch is a madman.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Luchadork posted:

It is, yes. Thankfully however it serves to keep James quarantined to his own ongoing activities, far away from all of the important characters.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Luchadork posted:

I can't put into words how much I love Gordon Cole. Lynch is a madman.

LUCHADORK! I HEARD THINGS ARE GETTING PRETTY WILD IN TWIN PEAKS!

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Oh, and since I don't remember seeing it linked before, there's also the Twin Peaks Rewatchcast by the boys at SA favourite Idle Thumbs.

https://www.idlethumbs.net/twinpeaks/

I haven't started it yet, but I'm sure it's just as jokey and pretentious as anything else on the Idle network.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Well, 3 nights and I'm done, just finished the final episode. It was like Lynch had been blue-balled for the whole series and finally got to just go full-Lynch on everything. How have long-time Twin Peaks fans have gone all this time on that cliffhanger, though. :stare:

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Luchadork posted:

Well, 3 nights and I'm done, just finished the final episode. It was like Lynch had been blue-balled for the whole series and finally got to just go full-Lynch on everything. How have long-time Twin Peaks fans have gone all this time on that cliffhanger, though. :stare:

After a while it doesn't feel like a cliffhanger, it feels like a definitive statement about how "the evil that men do" will ultimately triumph over man's better nature. It also ties in thematically to the undercurrent of "Cooper's presence and unearthing secrets in the town is resulting in a lot of death and destruction and maybe it would've been better if he hosed off" present in season 2.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Why cookie Rocket posted:

After a while it doesn't feel like a cliffhanger, it feels like a definitive statement about how "the evil that men do" will ultimately triumph over man's better nature. It also ties in thematically to the undercurrent of "Cooper's presence and unearthing secrets in the town is resulting in a lot of death and destruction and maybe it would've been better if he hosed off" present in season 2.

Yeah, Jean Renault gives that speech to Cooper, but can you really blame Cooper for any of that? Jacques and Maddie were killed by BOB, although I guess you can argue that putting Jacques in the hospital and singling him out as suspect number one in the Laura Palmer case led to BOB/Leland killing him.

Maddie probably would've been killed no matter if Coop showed up or not, plus who knows how many others.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

...it feels like a definitive statement about how "the evil that men do" will ultimately triumph over man's better nature.

Yeah when I watched it in 2001 nobody told me that it was meant to have a 3rd season and I honestly never even considered it.
I mean they wrapped up the murder mystery, they explained the black lodge and Bob as much as I felt they were able to, and the only guy who was likely to stop him was now possessed by him which the show more or less explains is a death sentence.

It felt pretty loving final.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, Jean Renault gives that speech to Cooper, but can you really blame Cooper for any of that? Jacques and Maddie were killed by BOB, although I guess you can argue that putting Jacques in the hospital and singling him out as suspect number one in the Laura Palmer case led to BOB/Leland killing him.

Maddie probably would've been killed no matter if Coop showed up or not, plus who knows how many others.

My (abbreviated) take on it is that Cooper trying to solve Laura's murder is good and right and therefore he's not causing undue harm to himself or the town. After that, he's staying out of vanity and self-interest and that leads to unnecessary suffering for everyone. At the very least, Windom Earle isn't going to go totally bananas all over the town if Cooper isn't there.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

My (abbreviated) take on it is that Cooper trying to solve Laura's murder is good and right and therefore he's not causing undue harm to himself or the town. After that, he's staying out of vanity and self-interest and that leads to unnecessary suffering for everyone. At the very least, Windom Earle isn't going to go totally bananas all over the town if Cooper isn't there.

Windom Earle's vendetta against Cooper is just a ruse, though. He actually wants to enter the Black Lodge, and that's apparently only possible for him in Twin Peaks. Coop's presence just gives them a fighting chance.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
I didn't think that episode came off as final at all. There's a ton of loose ends left for another season.

- Ben getting KOd/revealed to be Donna's father
- The bomb at the bank; did they really just off Audrey ( :smith: ), Pete and Andrew like that?
- Does Nadine hulk out and beat Ed and Norma to death with her bare hands
- What crazy adventures is James into now??????? Hopefully he looses a fight with a wood chipper.

Plus, what I thought happened was that Cooper is still in the Black Lodge and Bob is out in a doppleganger; in the Lodge the dwarf mentions dopplegangers and then we see a Cooper doppleganger (with the grey eyes) chasing Real Coop, and the last shot in the Lodge is the doppleganger catching Real Coop.

I mean I guess you can interpret it all as "poo poo sucks forever RIP Twin Peaks" but I really didn't get that kind of negative vibe from the show at all.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

And More posted:

Windom Earle's vendetta against Cooper is just a ruse, though. He actually wants to enter the Black Lodge, and that's apparently only possible for him in Twin Peaks. Coop's presence just gives them a fighting chance.

If Cooper wasn't in town he'd just prowl around for clues, get into the red room, and Bob would eat his soul. With Cooper in town, Earle torments the locals and racks up a body count before he dies. Is Annie's life better or worse because Cooper decided to play townie and start dressing in flannel?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Thing is, Coop doesn't really do much in season 2. He was very proactive in solving the murder case but after that he kind of meanders about, taking a wait and see approach. I think the message is that evil triumphs when good men do nothing - which is exactly what Cooper did in season 2. A whole lot of nothing. It's one of my biggest disappointments of the show, really.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Luchadork posted:

I didn't think that episode came off as final at all. There's a ton of loose ends left for another season.

- Ben getting KOd/revealed to be Donna's father
- The bomb at the bank; did they really just off Audrey ( :smith: ), Pete and Andrew like that?
- Does Nadine hulk out and beat Ed and Norma to death with her bare hands
- What crazy adventures is James into now??????? Hopefully he looses a fight with a wood chipper.

Plus, what I thought happened was that Cooper is still in the Black Lodge and Bob is out in a doppleganger; in the Lodge the dwarf mentions dopplegangers and then we see a Cooper doppleganger (with the grey eyes) chasing Real Coop, and the last shot in the Lodge is the doppleganger catching Real Coop.

I mean I guess you can interpret it all as "poo poo sucks forever RIP Twin Peaks" but I really didn't get that kind of negative vibe from the show at all.

Your second bullet point is answered in the book, which you should read.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Luchadork posted:

The last time Lynch was in town Maddy went back to the big Missoula in the sky so yeah, I took it more as "Hey what's all this happy climax you guys were building toward while I was away? Have any of you ever seen my movies?" and then he brought down the hammer.

He then proceeded to make Fire Walk With Me instead of a third season, so yeah.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Next on my list is FWWM. I've always heard really bad things about it, like even from Peaks fans. Is it really that bad or just the usual "I don't understand Lynch movies thus it is garbage" crowd?

cis autodrag posted:

I didn't realize there were canon or w/e books. Is it The Secret History of Twin Peaks?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
FWWM is great but it's very Lynch and very different from Peaks, which is where the hate comes from. I don't think it's a fantastic movie or close to Lynch's best, but it does what it does very very well.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Luchadork posted:

Next on my list is FWWM. I've always heard really bad things about it, like even from Peaks fans. Is it really that bad or just the usual "I don't understand Lynch movies thus it is garbage" crowd?

It is very different from the show. Watch the version that edits in the deleted scenes to have something that's closer to the show.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Luchadork posted:

It's great, but the point of view character for most of the film is Laura so there's understandably a hell of a lot more misery than in the show. The first act, set in a different town, is pretty funny.

The deleted scenes bring it more in line with the show but I don't think most of them work well in the movie. Like, the Norma/Ed cut scenes are nice but they're distractions from the film's relentless misery. Watch the movie as it is, then watch the deleted stuff separately.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Jehde posted:

It is very different from the show. Watch the version that edits in the deleted scenes to have something that's closer to the show.

I hate this advice too. The movie is great as it is because it very accurately conveys the intense emotional distress and hopelessness of being a victim of domestic abuse. It shouldn't feel like the show because Laura is the central character of the show instead of an entity just sort of woven through the background scenery. The contrast is very deliberate.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Yeah, the fan-edit is cool, but only after you've seen the movie. Its flow is terrible. Though, the Desmond prologue is a lot more fun in its extended form.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I genuinely think that David Lynch is one of those directors that you genuinely need to throw away Death of the Author for a little bit. Thinking that you "get" what he's getting at enough to make your own edit of it is pretty foolhardy. Directors delete scenes for good reason and usually even the official "uncut" releases of movies tend to be meandering and tonally inconsistent compared to the theatrical versions.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

cis autodrag posted:

I genuinely think that David Lynch is one of those directors that you genuinely need to throw away Death of the Author for a little bit. Thinking that you "get" what he's getting at enough to make your own edit of it is pretty foolhardy. Directors delete scenes for good reason and usually even the official "uncut" releases of movies tend to be meandering and tonally inconsistent compared to the theatrical versions.

The Missing Pieces being its own thing is great. It shows you more from this time, but doesn't gently caress with FWWM's mood. The fan edit is just interesting.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

cis autodrag posted:

This is actually something I'll agree with. David Lynch is nothing if not deliberate.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

FWWM is great because it takes fan expectations, turns them sideways, and shoves it right up our collective candy rear end. Same with people bawling about Fury Road because Max was less cool than a girl and didn't drive his cool car around.

Edit: I hope season 3 does the exact same thing. If I'm not mad at it before I fall in love with it I'll be disappointed.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

FWWM is great because it takes fan expectations, turns them sideways, and shoves it right up our collective candy rear end. Same with people bawling about Fury Road because Max was less cool than a girl and didn't drive his cool car around.

Edit: I hope season 3 does the exact same thing. If I'm not mad at it before I fall in love with it I'll be disappointed.

I think I missed out on the huge tonal change of FWWM because I saw that before the series (I had no clue about any of it and just rented the movie as something to watch.) It was my first exposure to both Twin Peaks and David Lynch, so a whole lot of confusion, but it intrigued me enough to watch the series. But I can totally see how people who experienced the series first would be upset with FWWM. It's like a distillation of all the bizarre and extremely disturbing parts of the series without any of the humor.

I also am hoping that season 3 has most of the mysterious darkness of FWWM and the final episode of season 2. But I won't be disappointed if there's some of the humor of the series.

If you like the more humorous parts of the series, look for "On The Air" on Youtube. It's the series that Lynch did with Mark Frost after Twin Peaks. It's one 6 episode season, and any videos you find will be horrible transfers from VHS with massive tracking issues. It includes a lot of the side actors from Twin Peaks. It's not great and there's a very clear reason why it was cancelled. But it will give you a much better understanding of what David Lynch considers "funny", and for me it colored a lot of the comedy bits of Twin Peaks the next time I rewatched it.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
If you're really interested in going deep in Lynch and comedy, check out the script for the unproduced "One Saliva Bubble".

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

cis autodrag posted:

In case anyone doesn't want to work their way through the book Andrew died, and Pete died shielding Audrey(who survived) from the blast, which is a very Pete thing to do

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The Vosgian Beast posted:

In case anyone doesn't want to work their way through the book Andrew died, and Pete died shielding Audrey(who survived) from the blast, which is a very Pete thing to do

It's funny because this doesn't seem physically possible given the way the events are shown in the episode, but the book treats the show's reality as a very fluid thing. There are so many contradictions that it's clearly intentional.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

It's funny because this doesn't seem physically possible given the way the events are shown in the episode, but the book treats the show's reality as a very fluid thing. There are so many contradictions that it's clearly intentional.
My favorite difference is Ben actually losing the Civil War in the book.

It just strikes me as a strangely ominous change in a way I don't quite understand or know how to explain.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Under the vegetable posted:

If you're really interested in going deep in Lynch and comedy, check out the script for the unproduced "One Saliva Bubble".

Fuuuckkk I loved this loving thing. When I first went on the internet it was one of the first things I discovered. That was 20 goddamn years ago and I still remember large parts of the script. It's hilarious, and a real shame it never got made.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I've been reading the Twin Peaks books this weekend. While Secret History provides some good background and deepens the general mythology, Secret Diary of Laura Palmer is some awful fan-fiction level trash. A sad use of $10 :(

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Creature posted:

I've been reading the Twin Peaks books this weekend. While Secret History provides some good background and deepens the general mythology, Secret Diary of Laura Palmer is some awful fan-fiction level trash. A sad use of $10 :(

Since the Secret Diary was written by Lynch's daughter, I can only imagine what it was like for her and David to sit down and talk about really getting into the mindset of a father-daughter incest rape victim for the book.

I remember when I read it being disappointed that the contents of the diary didn't match up with the bits of it that were read on the show, but in retrospect maybe it was deliberate, given how Secret History also doesn't quite match.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Got FWWM done and I thought it was fine; I was more disappointed with the choice of topic being Laura's final days, as that was pretty well covered in the show. I'm not sure now though what I want to see from S3, more of the show's humor or more of FWWM's menace.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Luchadork posted:

I was more disappointed with the choice of topic being Laura's final days, as that was pretty well covered in the show.

Like, maybe in a biographical sense, but FWWM is about making you really understand what it felt like to be Laura in those last days. It's like reading about the holocaust in school vs actually seeing and feeling it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

No actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Luchadork posted:

I'm not sure now though what I want to see from S3, more of the show's humor or more of FWWM's menace.

It's definitely a weird line to toe. I can't imagine Twin Peaks going for a happy ending now, considering what happened to Cooper, and how much time has passed. Maybe that was never in the cards to begin with. I definitely want it to be more upbeat, though. That's what I liked about the show to begin with. 18 hours of FWWM would be absolutely unbearable.

• Locked thread