Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Also, it's been pretty common for people to change their point of view after being De-Croaked. Ansom and his views on Royalism, for example. Pre-death Marie like as not wsn't so stark about it, but the new and improved Marie? She's a flat out murder machine terminatoring her way through the opposition to save Wanda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I think we can say that things are happening now.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Yeah, this was a good update. I do appreciate that Wanda is being freed and ICFYS is being retaken, both with no input from Parson at all, and he's gonna get all the credit for both.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
It's great that his thinking has filtered down to his subordinates, and that he's become so scary that everyone else will blame anything unexpected on him.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
As I mentioned elsewhere, Wanda's fatalism is also pretty darn scary to people who don't know what a pain it is to actually have to deal with her.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I like how this chapter showed just how much Leadership is important, even to Free Casters who should be able to act independently. Even high level casters wielding auto-spec insta-croak weapons will fail against what amounts to a single Golem and a dirtamancer.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Well now we're getting somewhere.

Though I was thinking the same thing, that it really is strange how much major poo poo is going down with zero coordination on the GK side and no involvement from Parson at all.

I suppose it could be that the situation is only getting warmed up, and this won't count as 'major poo poo' at all once things get going...

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Onmi posted:

I like how this chapter showed just how much Leadership is important, even to Free Casters who should be able to act independently. Even high level casters wielding auto-spec insta-croak weapons will fail against what amounts to a single Golem and a dirtamancer.

Like I keep saying, emotions and personal problems wind up beating numbers and tactical considerations 75% of the time.

Zoe posted:

Well now we're getting somewhere.

Though I was thinking the same thing, that it really is strange how much major poo poo is going down with zero coordination on the GK side and no involvement from Parson at all.

I feel like Parson can't fulfill his commission as "warlord to end all war" just by winning a bunch of battles. He has to change the way people think about war. Which he's already started doing, by making parley highly suspect, by inventing new kinds of traps, by destroying the neutrality of the MK, and, most important of all, by encouraging everybody else to examine problems his way.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rand Brittain posted:

and, most important of all, by encouraging everybody else to examine problems his way.

Yeah. All his wargames and general strategy teaching folks to be aware of the rules of the game, and where they stop.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Bruceski posted:

Yeah. All his wargames and general strategy teaching folks to be aware of the rules of the game, and where they stop.

He's turning everyone into Charlie.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Hm, looks like Isaac was the deiform one.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rand Brittain posted:

Moreso than Charlie, since Charlie didn't have a Parson channel

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm kinda lost on what's going on, or at least what the implications are.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

nimby posted:

I'm kinda lost on what's going on, or at least what the implications are.

The Temple collapsed during a multi Thinkamancer link up. The theory is that Isaac has all of them in his head now and has godlike power as a result.

I think.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Some revelations a long time in coming.

Jojo was a prince of Unaroyal, and their whole thing was betraying their disciplines together. RVC probably wasn't even consciously aware that Jojo was an agent of Charlie; that has to have gone in the memory hole or otherwise the Minds would've known. So RVC wasn't working for Charlie, just passing on information to his former prince, who then passed it on to Charlie.

(All this is interesting enough I didn't even immediately realize that, once again, all other forward momentum has stopped as an almost entirely new plot thread comes to the fore.)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

And in the naming references, Florence Livermore the Mathamancer is probably named after Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, one of the major laboratories in the US.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Interesting that Charlie can suppress thinkamancy from afar when he's at full power with the arkendish. Makes me wonder why he's so apparently laid back, if he's that powerful.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

nimby posted:

Interesting that Charlie can suppress thinkamancy from afar when he's at full power with the arkendish. Makes me wonder why he's so apparently laid back, if he's that powerful.

He didn't want to reveal the full extent of his powers, because that's an ace in the hole and also being too scary could be dangerous because apparently each discipline faction of the MK also keeps secret the full extent of their own powers, for pretty much the same reasons.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Pretty sure what Roger assumed to be a signal block was the moment the mansion fell.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Kyte posted:

Pretty sure what Roger assumed to be a signal block was the moment the mansion fell.

Yeah. "Violently yanked away" and "all fell slack at once" really sound more like everyone dying than being blocked. RVC's practicing a lot of self-deception in this update (even before the garden reveal, he's "adjusting a few key nodes slightly towards some of the more optimistic outcomes"), that's probably part of it.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 5, 2017

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It's also something that he considers to be unthinkable and likely would not have any past knowledge of a comparable event.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Oh, I re-read that paragraph and it is him assuming Charlie could do that. I misread it the first time as him knowing Charlie could do it.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
The Unaroyal thing is just going to continuously bite GK in the rear end.

Though let's be honest, they kind of deserve it.

Anyway, I'll be interested to see where this leads. Mostly, whether his dabbling with Carnymancy will have turned out to have given him some kind of edge or understanding here, or whether it'll be a weakness and Charlie already knows all about the 'secret room' and how to use it against him, thanks to JoJo's involvement.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Yeah. "Violently yanked away" and "all fell slack at once" really sound more like everyone dying than being blocked. RVC's practicing a lot of self-deception in this update (even before the garden reveal, he's "adjusting a few key nodes slightly towards some of the more optimistic outcomes"), that's probably part of it.

To be fair, even with the sound of a building collapsing in the distance, "the entire Thinkamansion went bust" is really far from the first possibility.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Can't help but wonder how many bridges RVC has bought in his life.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
And GK gets blamed because of the wonky wrench. Called it.

Aumanor posted:

Can't help but wonder how many bridges RVC has bought in his life.

Sometimes I have to keep reminding myself that in Erfworld, appearances do matter. Signamancy doesn't lie. The shady, untrustworthy looking carny guy doesn't secretly have a heart of gold and everyone's best intentions at heart, what he is is right out in the open for everyone to see. That's me though, making assumptions after having it repeatedly hammered in my whole life, 'looks can be deceiving'.

But Roger is an Erfworlder and has no such excuse. He just real dumb. e: double extra dumb. He was one of the ones who killed Ivan and Claude, right? He knew about the tunnels and that they were Charlie's doing already.

It remains to be see how much Isaac realizes.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 8, 2017

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Signamancy lies all the time, though.

Maggie isn't actually a heartless Thatcher-bitch. Transylvito has more depth than being vampire Jersey Shore. Albert isn't going to turn to the side he resembles. Ossomer wouldn't have made a better king than Tramennis just because he had muscles and a jawline.

You can learn stuff from Signamancy, but you're just as likely to be led astray by your biases the way King Slately admitted he was. Assuming that Jeftichew is naturally untrustworthy because he's a Carnymancer is pretty much Erfworld's equivalent of racism.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Also, as far as we've seen, regular Erfworlders don't understand Signamancy beyond very broad strokes.

They can get a vague sense of good / healthy vs. bad / unhealthy Signamancy, but only Stupidworlders (and, presumably, Signamancers) can recognise that e.g. a dude looks like Nixon so he shouldn't be trusted.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Since a person's Signamancy can change over time it means that whatever their appearance indicates isn't the only facet to their personality. And when you get magic involved there's no telling how accurate someone's Signamancy is.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Things are happening, plot is moving, now a nice cliffhanger...I'm fully expecting the story to switch to Jillian for the next six updates.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zoe posted:

Things are happening, plot is moving, now a nice cliffhanger...I'm fully expecting the story to switch to Jillian for the next six updates.

Some plot is actually happening where Jillian is, though.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I think now's a good time to hear more flashbacks about life back in Unaroyal. Or maybe there's another side that wants to weigh in?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Going back a couple of updates, I bet Caesar will warm up to the idea of invading the MK when Roger comes through the portal and gives away the whole string-cutting thing. That would help clear things up for Vinny and Ansom too since unlike Parson and Maggie, Caesar's allowed to talk about the bullshit Thinkamancy's capable of.

There's no possible way for Roger to enter TV without Caesar knowing anyway, right?

Zoe fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 14, 2017

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I would assume that veiling magic prevents Caesar's Ruler senses from detecting the presence of the veiled unit unless it does something or interferes with turn order by its presence.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Rand Brittain posted:

I would assume that veiling magic prevents Caesar's Ruler senses from detecting the presence of the veiled unit unless it does something or interferes with turn order by its presence.

It seems like casters that can cast veils would be in VERY high demand if so.

Though all this time Jack has either sulking or spying or up to some poo poo, and if anyone can see through a spell like that it would be him. (I've been waiting to see what the plot purpose of having him sit the meeting out would be, and you know he's not just going to be patiently sitting around...)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Zoe posted:

Foolamancers seem reasonably popular, although, as we know, a lot of people are unwilling to pay for spell security, and thus get murdered by twolls in veils.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Zoe posted:

A lone caster isn't much of a threat and only casters can go through portals. Thus far the custom has been that Magic Kingdom is neutral and assassination strikes like what we're seeing now are strictly forbidden by custom all casters share. Lord Hamster has opened up all sorts of wormcans during his stay but this may be the worst.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

So at some point Parson is going to figure out how to literally order clouds around.

Rand Brittain posted:

I don't think rulers have ever been stated to be able to detect enemy units in their capital, just their own. The only direct reference I can think of is Charlie thought Sizemore might have been in his capital that one time, and ruled it out because no one had spotted anyone but Lilith.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Hob_Gadling posted:

A lone caster isn't much of a threat and only casters can go through portals. Thus far the custom has been that Magic Kingdom is neutral and assassination strikes like what we're seeing now are strictly forbidden by custom all casters share. Lord Hamster has opened up all sorts of wormcans during his stay but this may be the worst.

The MK is neutral, but afaik any caster can pass through it, and rulers can order units to their deaths. The idea of sending a veiled caster to suicide spell a rival ruler if you're otherwise badly losing a war has got to be an attractive idea you don't need a Parson to come up with.

That said, I have a hard time keeping track of a lot of the details of Erfworld rules so I may be overlooking something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I don't think rulers have ever been stated to be able to detect enemy units in their capital, just their own. The only direct reference I can think of is Charlie thought Sizemore might have been in his capital that one time, and ruled it out because no one had spotted anyone but Lilith.

Jillian does it here, where she seems to know that there's one Gobwin Knob caster in the city, but not who or what kind, and mentions that if it were Wanda and she'd Decrypted anybody she'd be able to sense a warlord too.

EDIT: Uh, actually, that's kind of interesting. Charlie didn't seem to think he'd be able to sense Sizemore if he were present, and he mentioned when Ivan and Claude briefly joined Charlescomm that doing this brought up Ruler senses he wasn't used to feeling. Does Charlie not have access to some of the normal Ruler package and have to use the Arkendish for that? (Or he might just be very rusty because it's been so long since an enemy unit entered his capital, if ever.)

EDIT EDIT: Hm, no, later he's using his Ruler senses (badly) to give orders to Archons with the dish down, so it looks like he's just very very bad with them.

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 14, 2017