Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Please don't marry your siblings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
B Support

Hello there, Hinoka. Tending to your pegasus again?
Indeed. He's always been my partner on the battlefield, after all. It's important that I show him my appreciation whenever I can.
You were still quite young when you decided to become a sky knight, right?
It's obviously a dangerous job... Did anyone try to talk you out of it?
Oh, definitely. Many people did. Your mother more than most.
What? Even my mother? She was worried for your safety, even though you weren't related?
Indeed. It even surprised me how strongly opposed to the idea she was. She tried all manner of things to convince me to change my mind. Begging, bribing...
How did you respond?
Well, I was still a very young girl... Ryoma and the others accepted her as Father's wife and our new mother, but I...
I didn't do that very easily. As a result, I was cruel to her—more cruel than she could ever deserve.
Oh, no! What happened? What did you do?
I told her that she wasn't my mother and had no place ordering me around. Of course, I apologized later, but it's impossible to take back what was said.
I still remember how her face changed right as the words left my mouth. I'll probably regret having said that for the rest of my life...
That was years ago, though!
I'm sure she forgave you long ago. You were young and didn't know any better. I think you can forgive yourself...
No, it's better that I continue to carry this burden with me as a reminder, I think.

A Support

Is that Hinoka's pegasus over there?
Hey there. You're a lucky one. You probably know this, but Hinoka is pretty great. She's strong and she's brave...and she's really determined. At the same time she's so kind and caring. You couldn't have asked for a better rider.
Corrin? What are you doing here?
Gah! H-hello, Hinoka! I didn't see you...
You jumped a foot in the air, Corrin. Why were you so startled?
No reason! No reason...
I'm fine, I just wasn't expecting you to be there. I was...wrapped up in talking to your pegasus about you.
You were? What were you saying to him?
I was telling him how lucky he was to have someone who cares so much. Even though becoming a sky knight has really defined who you are... you were just as caring a person before.
I'm incredibly grateful for how much you've cared for me. I feel like I need to give a little back, too.
Corrin...
You've worked so hard to support me. I want to be able to support you too.
Heehee... When did you learn to be so direct in your words?
D-don't tease me! I'm serious!
I know, Corrin, I know. Thank you. I'm blessed to be your sister.
And I'm thankful to be your brother. I hope that you'll lean on me for help whenever you need it.
Of course.

S Support

You know, Corrin showered me with all those nice words, but... I don't think I'm as wonderful a person as he seems to believe...

*Pegasus neighs*

Remember how angry I was after he was kidnapped?
It's impossible to deny—even you wouldn't obey me back then... They say pegasi only listen to people with pure hearts... I can't even count the number of times you threw me as I was learning to ride. Heehee...
Even then I had probably fallen for him and just not realized it. I can be pretty scary when I lose something I love...
H-Hinoka...
What the—?!
Were you talking about...me, just now?
I...um... You were listening? It doesn't matter! Just...forget everything you heard, OK? That wasn't meant for you!
No. I don't think I can forget that.
But why...
Because hearing it... It made me really happy to hear you say that.
What?!
Never in my wildest dreams did I think that you felt that way about me. And while I am glad to know it...
No matter how much we care about each other, we're siblings. It would be best if we just buried these feelings and never let them out.
I didn't think you shared the same feelings, which is why I didn't tell you... Well, forgive me for not sharing this truth with you before now.
What are you talking about?
The truth is...you're not my brother. My blood brother, anyway.
Huh?! What do you mean?
After you returned to Hoshido, Mother... Queen Mikoto gave me this letter. She told me to read it if—in light of your return—I ever worried about who I loved. I didn't know what she meant then, but a few days ago I realized she meant you. In the letter, Mother writes that you aren't Father...King Sumeragi's child. Since we also have different mothers...
This is...a lot to take in all at once...
Thinking back, we all knew that Mother had prophetic powers. She must have given me the letter because she knew I would fall in love with you.
The letter also talked a bit about her and Father's relationship...
What did it say?
Mother wrote that she came to Hoshido after asking my father for help. When she arrived, she had a baby with her. He had been born in her homeland. That baby was you, Corrin.
Father knew that you weren't his child, and yet he raised you as his own... Such was his love for Mother... Your mother, that is.
Even knowing the truth, I can't think of him as anyone other than my father. This begs the question, though... Who is my father by blood?
I can't help you there. Mother didn't say anything about him in her letter.
I see... Still, this means that you're not actually my sister...
I'm sorry, Corrin. Maybe I shouldn't have told you...
No, I'm glad you did! I'm shocked, to be sure, but now that I know the truth, I can be honest, too. Hinoka...
I love you. I love you more than anyone else in the world.
Really? Are you certain? If you are... Well, there is no one I would rather be with than you.
I am. And I feel exactly the same way.
Corrin... I never dreamed this would happen. It makes all those days I spent planning how to rescue you all the more meaningful. I'm so glad that we feel the same...
We'll never be separated again. Ever. I'll always be by your side.
Me too. I promise to always protect you.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Please don't marry your siblings.

no see it's cool, the mother wrote a letter that says they aren't actually related and everything, nothing weird about this at all!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
This is the first time I've actually read one of these supports and what the gently caress

Like among the half dozen things wrong with it, didn't they just undermine the entire "family you're born with vs. the family you live with" premise of the game?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 18, 2017

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's not incest, it was just NEARLY incest! Totally different!

And I can never be too hard on the S supports, there's only 4 conversations to set up all this true love stuff, so it always feels forced, but that's the system they went with.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Stuff like this is why I hope the "Avatar can marry EVERYONE" thing gets dropped from FE15. Or they could just drop the player avatar thing entirely, but after Awakening I really doubt that's happening.

(Although how much people love Robin VS how much they hate Corrin is always cathartic.)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

LordHippoman posted:

Stuff like this is why I hope the "Avatar can marry EVERYONE" thing gets dropped from FE15. Or they could just drop the player avatar thing entirely, but after Awakening I really doubt that's happening.

(Although how much people love Robin VS how much they hate Corrin is always cathartic.)

FE15 is Shadows of Valentia. The Switch game we know nothing about is the 16th game.

On that note, I'd just like to ask what everyone thinks about Shadows of Valentia. I'm really excited for it, as I never played the original Gaiden and it DID inspire a lot of changes that are now commonplace (world maps, grinding, etc.)

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is the first time I've actually read one of these supports and what the gently caress

Like among the half dozen things wrong with it, didn't they just undermine the entire "family you're born with vs. the family you live with" premise of the game?

Yes, it does. And this isn't the only hiccup with the character's understanding of their family trees.

I've since decided that the real premise of the game is "Family you live with vs Righteousness," which I can live with.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mikoto is still Corrin's real mom. So technically he still real mad that Garon killed his mommy.

I don't like this next update.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Fun fact regarding that Schroedinger's letter from Mother; almost every sibling gets this letter from Mom in their S Support excepting Ryoma. I'd like to think that every sibling just had that letter, clueless over why the hell their mother would give them a letter to begin with. Would've led to one hell of an awkward conversation.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So...that happened.

I'm sorry, what

The castle that everyone called home was no safe place for infants.

Where could newborns be hidden in such dangerous times?

The answer was in the Deeprealms, tiny worlds strewn acrros the astral plane

what is going on

This solution wasn't without its complications, however. Time in the Deeprealms passed far more quickly.

Is the game seriously doing a hyperbolic time chamber

Also they just have sex right there and then? ....uh, this has seriously bad future implications

But they could rest assured that children would be safe...for a time.

So I guess it's time to retrieve that baby Corrin threw into a dimensional hole.

Goddamn it....

Is that a bee bonet

Hmm. But Papa is visiting today, and I haven’t seen him in such a long time. I’d better do something special for him. Gather some fruit? Fish for fish?
Ha, I know! Papa should have both. So I’d better get going!

*Two figures suddenly appear*

Wh-who are you? Y-you look weird! Get away from me!

Umm, what do you all want? You’d better not be here to make trouble. My papa will be here soon!
They’re not listening. But I can’t just run. They look ready to do evil things!

*Kana tries to attack*

Oof!

*Corrin suddenly arrives*

Phew! Here in the nick of time. Are you all right, Kana?
P-Papa?
I’m so sorry, Kana. You’ve been safe here for so long. I never thought anyone would come here to hurt you. Please tell me you’re OK!
Yeah, Papa.
Thank the gods. Now, off with you. Your papa has everything in hand. YOU! You dare touch my child?!

The key to angering Corrin to mess with someone he's known for like 5 minutes.

*Corrin battles with multiple enemies*

Papa, there are too many of them!
I'll protect you, Kana. But don't worry about me. I told you to run!
Now, the rest of you! Prepare to join your comrades in death!

*Corrin gets continuously pummeled*

They’re tough… But I have to… keep them away from…
No! You bunch of bullies! Stop hurting Papa!

No! I’m not going to leave, Papa! Not when I’ve waited so long to see you again! No one’s going to take you from me! I’m staying right—rrgg!
Right here by—RRRG! By your—RRAWRGH!

*A flash of light, Kana turns into a dragon*

RRAAAAWRG!
It can't be. She shouldn't have the ability to—
RRRAWWRRGGRR!
No...she must have inherited it from me. But for it to awaken here, now? She's out of control. This...this must be her first time transforming! She's at risk of losing herself/himself to a mindless rampage in the face of these foes!

Mission is incredibly simple, it's a chokepoint battle where you place tanks at each bridge and slowly whittle the enemy down.

Stats here: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=147049

Bench 5, Ryoma is out forever, Takumi+Jakob is on the hot seat: http://www.strawpoll.me/12558078

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Man, you guys thought the marrying siblings thing was bad? It has NOTHING on the confusing, awful, terrible, and flat-out stupid mess that is the Deeprealms, or as I mockingly call them despite not being a Dragon Ball fan, Hyperbolic Time Chambers. I'm only starting writing and I know how bad this is.

On that note, I am in possession of a video outlining how a moderately famous FE youtuber would have re-written Fates that I will post at an appropriate time, when the things it outlines will not be spoilers.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hyperbaby time chambersssssssss

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
flora doing suicide, marrying a sibling, and then reminding me of the ludicrously stupid way they did children all in a row like this is too much, my brain is dead

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Because now we have the Hyperbaric Lion Tamer too, of course the siblings are not blood siblings what the gently caress is Japan anime and manga's fixation with they're not blood siblings so it's totally fine wink wink.
And you guys say Conquest is even worse?
:ughh:

Something tells me I'll be giving that emote a decent workout this thread.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Omobono posted:

Yes.

Yes it is. However, you get to have the best sibling in the party, so it makes up for it.

(She's a healer on a horse. How is that not awesome?)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Omobono posted:

Because now we have the Hyperbaric Lion Tamer too, of course the siblings are not blood siblings what the gently caress is Japan anime and manga's fixation with they're not blood siblings so it's totally fine wink wink.

Conquest is worse on average but these three moments together represent roughly the worst of it.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I think what has been explained about the deeprealms doesn't quite explain how they can be abused, and the implications that throwing children in these places leave, especially if this was available to everybody in the in-game world. On the top of my list is that with a deeprealm, you could literally raise an army in the course of weeks. Pop out a lot of children, thrown them in the deeprealm, teach them about warfare, combat, and unit tactics, then grab them from said deeprealm, arm them, and point them at an enemy force.

If the development team was smarter about that, we'd probably have every character in Nohr - if not almost every character - raised in a deeprealm to explain where their armies are coming from.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Conquest is dumber overall, (but has much better characters,) but Birthright has the biggest individual moments of stupidity.

...we just don't talk about Revelations.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I get the decision to keep marriages from a marketing standpoint, but how and why did they decide to do it this way? I would have taken a repeat of the alternate timelines/dimensions over this.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Ugh, the deeprealms. Awakening had children characters, so this game decided to have them too. Of course, the children of Awakening were connected to the time travel plot that was integral to the story of awakening, but these children really have no point in being here.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

As much as I like some of the 2nd gen characters in this game, I will among the first to say that the Deeprealms was a painfully shoe-horned dumb idea. At least Awakening had the excuse of the kids coming from a bad future to save the past, thus allowing them to look as they were without much issue. Here? It's basically: Couple hooks up-->does the thing-->????-->baby is born and placed in its Deeprealm-->TIME SKIP-->child is now grown up. And yes, the "????" covers the entire pregnancy part; the game never explains how that goes, nor how a Deeprealm is even created/found/whatever. The kids and their tiny pocket dimensions just simply happen, and the player is expected to accept this without explanation.

Which leads to one big problem with Fates as a whole, it absolutely never commits to world-building outside of very broad strokes. Hoshido and Nohr get barely any development outside of "Hoshido is good with no problems at all (there is no Mokushu, shut up), nope nothing evil here" and "Nohr is ruled by an evil tyrant, his kids know this and want to save their kingdom but live in fear for their lives". Something like small parallel worlds where time flows much faster would be an interesting avenue to explore. Why do these places exist? Are there parallel versions of Hoshido and Nohr out there? These are all things an editor would have stopped and asked the writer to explain further and perhaps create a more complex world. But, as we've seen, that's not what happened. Fates' editing staff looked at the barely bare-bones explanation for Deeprealms and gave their stamp of approval without second thought. And it is so obvious that Fates has this element simply because the kids in Awakening were very popular, but that's where the development teams differ. Awakening built off of Ylisse and its neighbors being Altea and its neighbors 2000ish years after New Mystery ended as well as gave some depth to Lucina and her friends being post-apocalyptic survivors (more or less) trying to save their parents. Fates just throws the kids at you and leaves them very one note outside of "defining character trait" and maybe one or two things else.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Hahaha this is Corrin's worst S support and it's exactly what he deserves.

And we also get our introduction to the confusing nature of Deeprealms. Where did they come from? How do we get to them? Where do you find a team of people to raise your child for you in an alternate dimension and how do you pay them? Who cares, Deeprealms are just an excuse for child characters in a narrative that does not support their existence. I don't like ragging on these games too much, because there are plenty of people eager to do that already, but these past few updates have shown the worst of Birthright and you can't really ignore that.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I'll admit, the S-ranks between Corrin and their Hoshido siblings are highly awkward, at the least. The REAL bad writing, though, would have to be the kids, for pretty much exactly the reasons that have already been discussed.

Best explanation I can think of for them even having kids during a war (without vilifying the parents) is "oops, we got careless, now we've got a kid coming" (a thing that actually happens to real-life couples). I mean, if the parents do this on PURPOSE then they're just terrible people.

Also, at risk of being told to shut up again should the game be predictable and go this way: At this point my first thought was "I bet Corrin's real dad is a dragon." It neatly explains why he has that whole Dragon Vein thing despite not being related to either royal family AND his dragon-ness, right?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And I thought Awakening was weird.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Fun fact regarding that Schroedinger's letter from Mother; almost every sibling gets this letter from Mom in their S Support excepting Ryoma. I'd like to think that every sibling just had that letter, clueless over why the hell their mother would give them a letter to begin with. Would've led to one hell of an awkward conversation.

I love the idea Hinoka has doubts about some other relationship, so she opens the letter...

and gets a huge explanation of how it's totally okay she wants to bang Corrin.

Better yet, imagine Takumi opening that letter.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Mrs. Corrin's Mom's great weakness was her love of slash fiction.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Since everyone else is rightfully bagging on the writing:

Kana looks weird as hell with red hair.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Hinoka's shade of bright red looks weird on most of the kids, really.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

I love the idea Hinoka has doubts about some other relationship, so she opens the letter...

and gets a huge explanation of how it's totally okay she wants to bang Corrin.

You'd also think that she would've remembered that Mikoto came to the royal household out of the blue and with Corrin in her arms with no explanation given. She certainly could remember how her siblings 'had to accept her' and how Hinoka had been unkind towards her.

Brief tangent: I don't think she was aware of her talking about the two of them not sharing the same mother, but Corrin certainly was... somehow... I've checked the C support conversation with her, and she makes no mention of this anywhere. It's out of nowhere that Corrin somehow knows this...

And not to spoil anything but this isn't going to be the first time that Corrin says something that comes out of nowhere

chiasaur11 posted:

Better yet, imagine Takumi opening that letter.

There needs to be a few panels dedicated to this point.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

You'd also think that she would've remembered that Mikoto came to the royal household out of the blue and with Corrin in her arms with no explanation given. She certainly could remember how her siblings 'had to accept her' and how Hinoka had been unkind towards her.

Devil's advocate: We have very little information on how old the Hoshido siblings were when Mikoto showed up. For all we know, Hinoka could have been as young as 3 years old at the time. For the record, my headcanon on their ages when the Avatar was kidnapped: Ryoma would be about 5, Hinoka was, like, 3 1/2, Corrin was 2 plus a few months, Takumi was at almost exactly one year (give or take a month), and Sakura was less than a month old. Something along those lines, at least- that makes them all young enough that they wouldn't remember the actual arrival in any detail, while still old enough that Hinoka and Ryoma would realize that they aren't actually related to Mikoto.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0ML-Uh-1nk

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
I love how Corrin ping pongs between generic anime protagonist regarding killing people and between being bloodthirsty. I still am baffled how Corrin went from, "No, I can't hurt these people!" to "Alright Silas, any last words before I cut your head off?" in the span of, what, two chapters?

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Kind of a miracle the children care about 'parents' that they only see once or twice a year, if that.

Time Chamber babies is so, so dumb.

Kana is great though.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

I'm pretty sure that talk about the castle not being safe is referring to a set of bonus maps that we've been ignoring. The menu options labeled "Invasion." One guess what kind of enemies show up in them.

The simplest explanation for the Deeprealms is that they're actually the same kind of pocket dimensions as the one My Castle is in. Maybe they're further from the main world, I don't know.

And if you've followed those two premises to their logical conclusion, congratulations. You're both smarter and much better parents than the entire cast is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

funfact: fates' setting is never given a name. there is no name for this continent. hoshido has a name, nohr has a name, there are some individual countries and territories with a name, but the overall continent is never given a name, and neither is the world itself. The wiki literally just has to call it 'fire emblem fates continent.'

that kinda summarizes the worldbuilding right there.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MightyPretenders posted:

I'm pretty sure that talk about the castle not being safe is referring to a set of bonus maps that we've been ignoring. The menu options labeled "Invasion." One guess what kind of enemies show up in them.

The simplest explanation for the Deeprealms is that they're actually the same kind of pocket dimensions as the one My Castle is in. Maybe they're further from the main world, I don't know.

And if you've followed those two premises to their logical conclusion, congratulations. You're both smarter and much better parents than the entire cast is.

To be fair, that's not saying much. Goku is smarter and a better parent, and two of his defining traits are "Idiot" and "bad father".

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Endorph posted:

funfact: fates' setting is never given a name. there is no name for this continent. hoshido has a name, nohr has a name, there are some individual countries and territories with a name, but the overall continent is never given a name, and neither is the world itself. The wiki literally just has to call it 'fire emblem fates continent.'

that kinda summarizes the worldbuilding right there.

Most of the people I talk with either call it Nohrshido or Fatesland.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I call it Nolore. Pretty self explanatory name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
They had the real potential to do something different and interesting with this whole Astral Plane business. Like, it could have been that we were put in charge of a team of do-gooders from beyond time and space, who show up out of the blue to slay evil like Garon and then vanish without a trace. Really play up that these folks are living in an extradimensional castle that can appear anywhere Corrin is, and their next generation are being raised as soldiers to continue the good fight. Something that indicates that they put at least a modicum of thought into the implications of this whole setup. Instead, they completely half-assed it.

Also: Hinoka is good, because red-headed Pegasus knights are good. Doesn't mean she should marry Corrin, but I can't say it's the worst choice. Also: It's weird how they act in the B- support like both Corrin and Hinoka know that they aren't blood related, but then do this nonsense with the S-support.

• Locked thread