Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

-Awww, can't we just have one more sacrifice?

-No, it's past your bed time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Bummer no Final Sacrifice or The Atomic Brain, but they do have Manos, Pod People, Space Mutiny and I Accuse my Parents.

Surprisingly, I haven't seen like 10 of these newly added ones, any nuggets?

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Puma Man is pretty funny

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

best bale posted:

Puma Man is pretty funny

He flies like a moron.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Rolo posted:

Bummer no Final Sacrifice or The Atomic Brain, but they do have Manos, Pod People, Space Mutiny and I Accuse my Parents.

Surprisingly, I haven't seen like 10 of these newly added ones, any nuggets?

Catalina Caper and Time Chasers are good.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

I finished The OA and what the gently caress

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

best bale posted:

Puma Man is pretty funny

Pyuma man.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Iron Fist is up. I'm 4 episodes in and it's pretty irritating. I don't care about corporate power struggles or some dork's daddy issues. The fights feel like a step backwards in terms of action series. I'm going to watch the whole thing because I'm a huge nerd and it's a comic book show but it's a real slog so far.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Yeah Iron Fist is super boring. The ninja poo poo was the worst part of Daredevil and it's like they mixed that with dull corporate intrigue.

Also I don't think the casting works very well.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Yeah, it's not great. This one feels like an afterthought to fill out the ranks for Defenders. Jessica Jones and Luke Cage had points to make and pretty distinct stylistic choices. Iron Fist is just there, and makes every choice as milquetoast as possible.

It's so weird, too, because all they had to do was lean into the style of martial arts exploitation movies from the 70s like how Luke Cage did with blacksploitation movies. Instead, it's mostly about two spoiled, rear end in a top hat siblings with a really inconsistent relationship to the title character.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

As a counter opinion, I'm like three or four episodes in and I like it so far. After how heavy JJ and Luke Cage were, it's nice to have a goofier story about billionaire dickheads loving with each other and a smelly hobo guy throwing them all off their game. Even episode two, which was really stupidly dark and tried to make the viewer think some things that were obviously not true, still was lighter in tone than most episodes of any of the other Marvel shows.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
That's a good point and I really wish they had made this a cheesy, fun action kung fu show. I'm dreading the middle point where it's usually filler and the show starts to slow down.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Any fans of 3%? Netflix thinks I'll like it but the first episode was slow as hell and had zero suspense since they give away too much. Also borderline cheesy. It's not just the plot that's slow but the actors walk around and talk like they are drugged. Some of the latter could be the dubbing but still.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I've been watching Iron Fist and I'm on episode 7-8. It definitely gets better, and aside from his fight with the drunken-style guy, all the fights feel really slow. I don't know if it's inexperience on the actors part, or if I'm just used to the quick cuts and moves of movies and other shows, but it just feels like their moves take a lot of time to develop and they're intentionally moving slow.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

wormil posted:

Any fans of 3%? Netflix thinks I'll like it but the first episode was slow as hell and had zero suspense since they give away too much. Also borderline cheesy. It's not just the plot that's slow but the actors walk around and talk like they are drugged. Some of the latter could be the dubbing but still.

Watch it subbed. It's MUCH better.
I watched all of the first season and I liked it a good deal. I've even posted about it here.

It's one of the only dystopian pieces of media without a villain. Every character has some area of their morality that they are willing to compromise.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Fargo S2 is up on Hulu

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
What are some good shows on Netflix or Hulu that ended when they should have and are good throughout like Breaking Bad or Luther? I find myself hesitant to get into a show and find myself with another Weeds, Nip/Tuck, or Dexter.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I still think Breaking Bad ended one season too late :colbert:

After Gus, I didn't give a drat about shallow 'sons of anarchy' knock off villain.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Inzombiac posted:

Watch it subbed. It's MUCH better.
I watched all of the first season and I liked it a good deal. I've even posted about it here.

Seconded. Watched it based on the recommendation in this thread. Really good with subtitles.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I stuck with 3% and by episode 4 it gets really good.

Edit, typo

wormil has a new favorite as of 17:50 on Mar 26, 2017

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
3% is a really solid show and it takes a couple of the characters in some unexpected directions by the end of the season.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
3% got a season two.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
If you haven't watched Sicario yet do it right now. Holy poo poo what a good movie.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Just finished OA and wow. I liked the ending a lot.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Any of the MST3000 movies good or quirky enough to keep the attention of a 13yo with little patience for old movies? I would like to watch one with my kid and robot smart remarks alone won't be enough.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

wormil posted:

Any of the MST3000 movies good or quirky enough to keep the attention of a 13yo with little patience for old movies? I would like to watch one with my kid and robot smart remarks alone won't be enough.

Time Chasers, Werewolf, and Merlin's Mystical Shop of Wonders all have coherent enough stories to not make your eyes glaze over.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Time Chasers, Werewolf, and Merlin's Mystical Shop of Wonders all have coherent enough stories to not make your eyes glaze over.

I don't think those are on Netflix though?

I would recommend Spider Island which is fun for the whole family

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

syscall girl posted:

I don't think those are on Netflix though?

I would recommend Spider Island which is fun for the whole family

I'm pulling from the Netflix list. Space Mutiny and Jack Frost could also be contenders.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Can anyone weigh in on the Expanse (Amazon prime streaming)? I've got a hankering for some sci fi. Looking for a show that's accessible to a non sci fi fan. My wife hates that kind of poo poo but I think it's because she associates it more with say Star Trek and Stargate type stuff. She was the same way about fantasy until we got into GoT.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

This is another reminder to watch Don't Trust The Bitch In Apartment 23.

A terrible title for a great show.
Krysten Ritter in one of her best roles and James Van Der Beek (?) plays himself.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
The Expanse is pretty grounded and one of the best sci-fi shows I've seen. It all takes place in our solar system and is part noir, part space politics. Cribbing the setting paragraph from Wikipedia:

quote:

[The Expanse] is set in a future in which humanity has colonized much of the Solar System. Earth, governed by the United Nations, and the Martian Congressional Republic act as competing superpowers, maintaining an uneasy military alliance in order to exert dual hegemony over the peoples of the Asteroid belt, known as "Belters." Belters, whose bodies tend to be thin and elongated due to their low-gravity environment, carry out the gritty, blue-collar work that provides the system with essential natural resources, but they are largely marginalized by the rest of the Solar System. The Outer Planets Alliance (OPA), a network of loosely-aligned militant groups, seeks to combat the Belt's exploitation at the hands of the "Inners," who, in turn, have branded the OPA a terrorist organization.

It's based on a series of novels and the authors are producers and writers on the show so when it deviates significantly from the book to better suit the medium it's probably them making the call. They wrap up the first book halfway through the second season and I like that they give the story some room instead of trying to force it into a single season. Definitely recommend it to anyone who likes good TV much less sci-fi.

E: because of course it does, it has low ratings and though it has been renewed for a third season it might not make it to a fourth at this rate.

FadedReality has a new favorite as of 07:16 on Mar 27, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Inzombiac posted:

This is another reminder to watch Don't Trust The Bitch In Apartment 23.

A terrible title for a great show.
Krysten Ritter in one of her best roles and James Van Der Beek (?) plays himself.
I got the recommendation for it earlier from this thread and I really enjoyed. However, I felt like the second half of season 2 falls apart as there's a string of pretty lukewarm/bad episodes like some writers were already out the door or something. The season finale saves the day though as it's really amazing.

James Van Der Beek playing himself is without hyperbole one of the funniest characters in any comedy series ever. Big respect to the guy for accepting a script like that because it's by far the most brilliant part of the show.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Rough Lobster posted:

Can anyone weigh in on the Expanse (Amazon prime streaming)? I've got a hankering for some sci fi. Looking for a show that's accessible to a non sci fi fan. My wife hates that kind of poo poo but I think it's because she associates it more with say Star Trek and Stargate type stuff. She was the same way about fantasy until we got into GoT.

Season 1 is slow, very slow. I don't think season 1 will appeal to someone who doesn't like sci-fi. No one in my family liked it except me, and I wasn't head over heels about it. I've read a lot of people comparing it to BSG but it's nowhere near that good. S2 is getting there.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I think I posted about it when it was first announced, but The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou was added to Netflix yesterday. Great movie.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Good news, we dived into The Expanse and the intrigue and politics stuff is right up her alley and space detective is right up mine. Thanks!

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Isn't Netflix footing the bill for most of The Expanse? I could be thinking of a different show, but I think that's the one that they're basically paying for so they can have distribution rights in international markets. Or something to that affect. So hopefully low US viewership won't kill the show as quickly as it normally would. SyFy also seems pretty determined to give their good shows a chance lately though.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Inspector 34 posted:

Isn't Netflix footing the bill for most of The Expanse? I could be thinking of a different show, but I think that's the one that they're basically paying for so they can have distribution rights in international markets. Or something to that affect. So hopefully low US viewership won't kill the show as quickly as it normally would. SyFy also seems pretty determined to give their good shows a chance lately though.

Given that it's on Amazon Prime but not US Netflix I'd be very surprised if this was the case.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Rough Lobster posted:

I love that stuff and even read the books and find the show dreadfully boring.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I love that stuff and even read the books and find the show dreadfully boring.

The show gets a lot better halfway through the first season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
What I see happening with The Expanse is a lot of people putting it on a very tall pedestal that it really doesn't deserve (yet anyway). At some point the honeymoon will be over and those same people will start rocking the pedestal and blaming the show for not living up to their expectations. This is how you kill a show.