Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I could see that one being an actual pokemon tbh. it's totally fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
yeah i like it too altho

Alacron posted:

It looks like a Ho-Oh prevolution.

this is true as heck

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Yeah, that's not so bad. The wing ends are a little weird, but other than that it could fit right in Alola

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I like Palij.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It doesn't really have a recognizable silhouette. That's not entirely a problem, but at the same time it kinda is.

Kinda looks like a dinosaur fish to me. Which would be a pretty cool Pokemon.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Pokémon: Cambrian Explosion Edition

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that still looks like a bird to me

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

It doesn't really have a recognizable silhouette. That's not entirely a problem, but at the same time it kinda is.

Kinda looks like a dinosaur fish to me. Which would be a pretty cool Pokemon.

i'm sorry but i think your eyes are broken, and also that this complaint would be waaaaaaay to nitpicky even if it were valid

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think somewhere around "wait there's how many of these fuckers?", you have to give up on recognizable silhouettes in all of them.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

mandatory lesbian posted:

i'm sorry but i think your eyes are broken, and also that this complaint would be waaaaaaay to nitpicky even if it were valid

Could be, I'm sick and grumpy and running on something like three hours of sleep. It's hard to explain why I hate that bird but I do. Possibly it's just the "we forgot to fill in these feathers" at the end of the wings.

:shrug:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the game is bad enough that we don't have to go searching for problems where there aren't any

this shadow thing is one of those imo

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Who's that Pokemon?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It's...

Palij!

Paliii-juh!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

dammit i got it wrong

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel like the main issue is that the proportions look all weird. like someone glued illfitting wings onto a colorful penguin.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

i feel like the main issue is that the proportions look all weird. like someone glued illfitting wings onto a colorful penguin.

Yeah, that makes more sense.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Johnny Joestar posted:

Of course, the mainline Pokemon always have perfectly reasonable proportions.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Of course, the mainline Pokemon always have perfectly reasonable proportions.

I do think Pokemon designs nowadays tend to have much better proportions. I don't really see any more weird inflatable creatures like Swampert and Salamence. Then again, I'm sure some people might not like how things like Gogoat and Pyroar look too much like the actual animal's they're based on.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

AriadneThread posted:

Pokémon: Cambrian Explosion Edition

That would be utterly horrifying, and I kind of want to see it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

We've seen 49 of the 168 new designs for Uranium, by the way.

One of those is Palij which I think I glossed over technically having as part of the photographer's requests.

Middle bird. Meh.

That actually looks more Pokemon-like than anything else I've seen in this game so far.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
Something about the feet and the way the wings attach just don't sit right with me. Maybe it's the angle. Or the over-explosion of colours. Or all of it. I'm not a fan.

...then again I kinda like the little unicorn thing. I don't think it looks much like a Pokemon design but I do like it as a stand-alone cute thing.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

That's an okay bird, I guess, even if the anatomy is a bit weird (the way the wings attach to the body look a little off) and the wingtip effect is a bit busy compared to the rest of the design. The unicorn, though, is just a poorly-drawn my little pony.

I guess the problem I have with object pokemon (thanks whoever said that, I just couldn't really put the concept into words!) is that my mind rebels at the idea of a creature that doesn't look like it could have come into existence on its own. Like, it's too much of a coincidence that the ice cream looks like an ice cream, or that klingklang looks exactly like gears. Sure, geodude might be literally a grumpy rock with arms, but at least it looks kinda like it came about naturally somehow and not as if something had, well, designed it to look uncannily/exactly like a man-made object.

Basically, I think my litmus test is whether a pokemon design would look plausible if human technology wasn't a thing. But I kinda get that it's sort of a visual pun, much in the spirit of terrible puns in the names.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

quote:

Like, it's too much of a coincidence [...] that klingklang looks exactly like gears.

This is a cultural thing. Since Pokemon aren't (or at least weren't originally) supposed to be real animals but are exactly what the name claims: pocket monsters. Klingklang doesn't look exactly like gears, they are gears that have gained life spontaneously. A fair number the inanimate objects seem to get a free pass from people because they're ghosts (banette, drifblim, cofagrigus, chandelure, spiritomb) which are possessing random objects (dolls, balloons, sarcophagi, chandeliers, rocks, etc.), but Klingklang, Voltorb and the like aren't much different.

I just assume that object pokemon without the ghost type are just the newest possessed objects. They're the ones that just haven't entirely figured out what they really are yet and haven't developed their ghostly powers.

It's also pretty telling that most of them, if not actually electric type, have access to electric-type moves. Heck, Alola even made Geodude part electric-type! Even in the west electricity's associated with animation/reanimation, so if they're not ghosts, they're absolutely manmade pokemon like Porygon, they were just made by accident (like Muk and Garbodor). I can still understand why people don't like them, but some of them are pretty neat mechanically (no pun intended) even if you don't like the aesthetics. :shrug:

Reimou
Jan 20, 2015
I used a Palij (as well as its final evolution) in my end-game party. They're pretty fun, with access to Flash Fire allowing them to switch in for free if you call a fire attack. I don't think I would use one for a repeat, but guess who in my party hard-countered Overheat boss from the beginning of the thread?

The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

WE SHALL ALL DIE AND BECOME AS GODS
My problem is not with Object pokemon themselves, but with how the more recent Object designs look so... unimaginative compared to the GenOne stuff. I mean, you just need to look at the uranium rod pokemon in this game, and it fully encapsulates all the problems the real series object pokemon have.

(Please, God, it's a joke. Please don't let there be a uranium rod pokemon in this)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Of course not!

...We're going to see an Atomic Bomb one instead, aren't we?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The evolution line obviously goes uranium rod -> atomic bomb -> Godzilla.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lol if an inanimate carbon rod isnt the legendary

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

We've already seen a glimpse of the legendary:

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Ratoslov posted:

That would be utterly horrifying, and I kind of want to see it.

Anorith could use some buddies.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Lol if an inanimate carbon rod isnt the legendary

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

turn off the TV posted:

We've already seen a glimpse of the legendary:

A swollen pair of testes?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Regalingualius posted:

I think those are nipples.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I see glowing hemorrhoids

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I see our future if we aren't smart about safe, clean energy!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Regalingualius posted:

Looks more like ovaries to me

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Looks more like ovaries to me

Mom?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
it's armor Deoxys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Watercrown posted:

My problem is not with Object pokemon themselves, but with how the more recent Object designs look so... unimaginative compared to the GenOne stuff. I mean, you just need to look at the uranium rod pokemon in this game, and it fully encapsulates all the problems the real series object pokemon have.

Indeed, if only all new Pokemon designs could be as inventive as "just a Pokeball" or "a pile of sludge."

That whole complaint has always been dumb because there have been both insanely creative and really hum-drum designs in all generations of Pokemon. And I'd argue both are necessary for the sake of contrast.

• Locked thread