Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Powaqoatse posted:

there arent tens of millions of people in sweden

the real first season: the US version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Roosevelt posted:

the real first season: the US version

lol piss off. but also: huh! the british version was recorded prior to the swedish version. the us version was years later

i guess the uk numbers outweighed the suicide tho. still weird imo

EndlessRagdoll
May 20, 2016

Powaqoatse posted:

lol piss off. but also: huh! the british version was recorded prior to the swedish version. the us version was years later

i guess the uk numbers outweighed the suicide tho. still weird imo

funny. you'd think suicide would make everything an attraction

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i expect to see widely televised lethal human-human blood sports in my lifetime.

russia has a history of weird game shows. about ten years ago there was one called "intercept" in which the host took the player to a car parked on the street in moscow, called it in stolen, and gave the keys to the player. if he could make it a half hour without being arrested he kept the car. it was fake, though supposedly the beatings the cops delivered were real.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Midjack posted:

i expect to see widely televised lethal human-human blood sports in my lifetime.

russia has a history of weird game shows. about ten years ago there was one called "intercept" in which the host took the player to a car parked on the street in moscow, called it in stolen, and gave the keys to the player. if he could make it a half hour without being arrested he kept the car. it was fake, though supposedly the beatings the cops delivered were real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPbTWDeqQf0

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Midjack posted:

in 2031, in an attempt to control violence among unemployed millenials, the us government legalized no holds barred fighting. starbucks coffee working with the usg established a series of leagues and bloody public exhibitions. the fights' popularity grew with their brutality. soon starbucks discovered that the public matches were their most profitable enterprise. the professional league was formed; a cabal of the most violent and punchable douchebags in known space selected to fight in a grand tournament

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

in 2031, in an attempt to control violence among unemployed millenials, the us government legalized no holds barred fighting. starbucks coffee working with the usg established a series of leagues and bloody public exhibitions. the fights' popularity grew with their brutality. soon starbucks discovered that the public matches were their most profitable enterprise. the professional league was formed; a cabal of the most violent and punchable douchebags in known space selected to fight in a grand tournament

I AM THE VENTI AND THE GRANDE

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

I cant believe this is a real life thing and that theres more than one of them

the sprawl is real and it is accurately lovely

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

haveblue posted:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Agile Vector posted:

the sprawl is real and it is accurately lovely

close, but the digital japanese idols are toys for lonely basement dwellers and the state of the art in ai will try to drive you into a concrete abutment

gibson was an optimist

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

:hellyeah:

EndlessRagdoll
May 20, 2016

I live by the bean and I'll die by the bean.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
in 2040 millennial trump will win the election by promising a return of the 90s
'millennial trump promises nickelodeon will make cartoons like back when they were good (they were never good)'
'"we will bring back the flash animation industry" -millennial trump'
'"legend of zelda" -millennial trump to cheering crowd'

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

EndlessRagdoll
May 20, 2016

Rich people will be the pilots. Poor people will be the game. Start the hunt...

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

haveblue posted:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Why American Farmers Are Hacking Their Tractors With Ukrainian Firmware

A license agreement John Deere required farmers to sign in October forbids nearly all repair and modification to farming equipment, and prevents farmers from suing for "crop loss, lost profits, loss of goodwill, loss of use of equipment … arising from the performance or non-performance of any aspect of the software." The agreement applies to anyone who turns the key or otherwise uses a John Deere tractor with embedded software. It means that only John Deere dealerships and "authorized" repair shops can work on newer tractors.

"If a farmer bought the tractor, he should be able to do whatever he wants with it," Kevin Kenney, a farmer and right-to-repair advocate in Nebraska, told me. "You want to replace a transmission and you take it to an independent mechanic—he can put in the new transmission but the tractor can't drive out of the shop. Deere charges $230, plus $130 an hour for a technician to drive out and plug a connector into their USB port to authorize the part."

"What you've got is technicians running around here with cracked Ukrainian John Deere software that they bought off the black market," he added.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
in 2017 you can choose between john deere corporate or the ukranian underground

both will ransomware your tractor

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

why does a tractor even have firmware?

tractors are supposed to be a big diesel engine with wheels and a seat

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

"Because we need more analytics" -every lovely MBA

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sweevo posted:

gently caress you, more money for us

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

see also: environmental regs, fuel economy, everything is run by a computer now dag namit

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

those are all just excuses. its printer cartridges & that coffee maker style drm-abuse

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

strange days is the latest cyberpunk manifest reality

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
who fools the fools? https://www.buzzfeed.com/jamieross/this-guy-tricked-infowars-into-publishing-a-completely-fake

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

right-to-repair and hardware DRM are issues that get me really fuckin heated for some reason. that article makes me wanna quit my job and move to nebraska and start hacking tractors as a service to humanity

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Anarchist road repair in Portland: http://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtown/2017/03/13/18890291/need-a-pothole-fixed-maybe-a-portland-anarchist-can-help

Sweevo posted:

Tractors are pretty advanced nowadays. Many can practically work on the field by themselves, do fancy poo poo like only apply fertilizer where it's actually needed on the field, based on information recorded earlier with a drone etc. The driver's only there in case stuff goes wrong.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

right-to-repair and hardware DRM are issues that get me really fuckin heated for some reason. that article makes me wanna quit my job and move to nebraska and start hacking tractors as a service to humanity

I'm ok w/ allowing non-certified repairs that invalidate the warranty.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

it looks like a big part of the custom firmware is disabling urea injection and catalytic converter stuff

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i.e. bypassing government mandated environmental requirements

don't no one on earth hate the environment more than farmers

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
tbh tho gently caress farmers. they get enough government handouts. if they don't want to work within their industry to fix their problem they should go do something else and stop draining tax payer resources.

also these are the same folks that did coal rolling.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

I'm ok w/ allowing non-certified repairs that invalidate the warranty.

of course you are, shaggar.

Shaggar posted:

tbh tho gently caress farmers.

ahhh there it is

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
she thinks my tractor's exe

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

of course you are, shaggar.

ahhh there it is

lmao if you'd be willing to warranty a product after some dumb gently caress redneck does his "repairs" on it.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i think its stupid that farmers doing stupid poo poo to their tractors is more important than 30 years of bmw having their own stupid proprietary thing that resets your oil change meter. what exactly are these farmers repairing on their year old tractors? if this forces right to repair across everything that has a computer in it then thats good though

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hifi posted:

i think its stupid that farmers doing stupid poo poo to their tractors is more important than 30 years of bmw having their own stupid proprietary thing that resets your oil change meter. what exactly are these farmers repairing on their year old tractors? if this forces right to repair across everything that has a computer in it then thats good though

a friend's dad used to run an independent bmw repair shop but he closed it when the cost of licensing the tools, equipment and manuals from bmw crossed 40% of his gross revenue

Fredflonston
Jan 29, 2011

2018 - As part of John Deere's new license agreement, farmers are required to embed little green Deere hardware into their cortex and convert to Pentecostal Christianity.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

hifi posted:

you can reset the oil change indicator in bmws by holding the trip odometer button while you turn the key on and then wait until it says 'reset'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

proof we're in the darkest timeline: here's an $800 portable bullet shield/briefcase for EXTREME TACTICAL OPERATORS who wear molle web underpants
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSpWQTQ82UI

• Locked thread