Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Baron Corbyn posted:

belnedlux

bellendlux
A popular brand of 'gentlemen's polish' from the 1950s.

New page. Good start.

Some Polish gentry.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

My home county has the population of Luxembourg in 1/5 of the land area and no one gives a poo poo about its government, food, culture, history or anything else.

Luxembourg is almost certainly more important tho

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Guavanaut posted:

A popular brand of 'gentlemen's polish' from the 1950s.

New page. Good start.

Some Polish gentry.

I find it kind of funny that my family comes from the Russian Voivodship (Woj. Ruskie) considering that's who they complain about 90% of the time.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I'm sure that modern citizens of Lvov would be thrilled at being called Russian.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

"Pocketknife Nazi" ?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Craptacular posted:

"Pocketknife Nazi" ?

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

i like how the inset map in the corner doesn't shade turkey

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Doesn't something like 80% of Japan live in Tokyo? How come it got so lopsided? Was something wrong with all the other cities in the country?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Greater Tokyo is ~40 million. Japan is ~125 million. So it's more like a third.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

galagazombie posted:

Doesn't something like 80% of Japan live in Tokyo? How come it got so lopsided? Was something wrong with all the other cities in the country?

It's called a primate city and it's not that uncommon. I think around 1/3 of all Peruvians live in greater Lima and around 1/4 of all Argentines live in greater Buenos Aires. London and Paris are other good examples

If one city gets to be political, economic, educational, and cultural capital it can get pretty big. Imagine if the federal government and Harvard and Yale and Hollywood were all in New York City.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Red: countries that do not have a primate city

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Grand Fromage posted:

A few times on SG-1 they went to the lush grassy fields and pine forest in the distance of Area 51.

In the first few seasons of Stargate when I was in elementary school I was amused how the "alien worlds" looked like my parents backyard.

Platystemon posted:

I am actually surprised New Zealand is in red isn't like a third of the country living around Auckland?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Platystemon posted:

Note that this somehow includes Japan :) Otherwise seems pretty accurate, dunno about Canada maybe (I guess there's Vancouver/Montreal/Quebec ?).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jack2142 posted:

I am actually surprised New Zealand is in red isn't like a third of the country living around Auckland?

But that’s why. The capital isn’t Auckland. It’s Wellington.

Private Speech posted:

Note that this somehow includes Japan :) Otherwise seems pretty accurate, dunno about Canada maybe (I guess there's Vancouver/Montreal/Quebec ?).

That’s probably because of Kyoto.

Russia is the same. Moscow is almost a primate city, except that St. Petersburg is a contender for centre of culture.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 19, 2017

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I would have thought Lisbon would be a primate city, but apparently not.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

galagazombie posted:

For the 80%, you're probably thinking of the whole island of Honshu, the largest Japanese island and the one that most major cities are on including Tokyo. It's got about 103 million people which is very close to 80% of the population but it also stretches over about 810 miles and is about 88,000 square miles in total so it's huge.

All the land in Japan total is about the size of Montana, Honshu alone is roughly the size of Minnesota. It contains roughly 60% of the land area of the whole country.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Modern cultural life is overwhelmingly Tokyo though. Japan's got the same thing Korea does where the word "rural" just means "not Tokyo" in modern usage (or not Seoul in Korea). Anything outside Tokyo is dismissed as meaningless.

I guess if you're counting the entire Kansai region as a single city that is a somewhat reasonable rival to Tokyo but that's a real stretch.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Private Speech posted:

Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver, to be more accurate. The Greater Toronto Area has like 6 million people out of a total of 35-ish million in all of Canada.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Platystemon posted:

That’s probably because of Kyoto.

Kyoto? There are a bunch of cities bigger than Kyoto though?

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
If a primate city is defined as the place that controls a country's politics, makes economic decisions that affect the whole country, and dominates cultural organization, then Canada definitely does have a primate city. It's called "the US."

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Platystemon posted:

Red: countries completely taken over by lizard people.

Ponsonby Britt posted:

If a primate city is defined as the place that controls a country's politics, makes economic decisions that affect the whole country, and dominates cultural organization, then Canada definitely does have a primate city. It's called "the US."
Good thing it's defined as a city, not a place, then. :colbert:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Looked it up, primate city basically means the city is double the population of the next biggest city.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Frionnel posted:

I would have thought Lisbon would be a primate city, but apparently not.

Because of Porto, which is a much cooler city anyway.

Though the list of Portuguese cities by population start out small and fall off rapidly:

Lisbon, Portugal 517,802
Porto, Portugal 249,633
Amadora, Portugal 178,858
Braga, Portugal 121,394
Setúbal, Portugal 117,110
Coimbra, Portugal 106,582

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I’m New Zealand.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't believe China. Google is banned here and I've never, ever seen anything but IE used. Maybe Baidu has a browser that's a copy of Chrome and being miscounted?

South Korean websites not only require IE to function, but usually a real old version like IE6.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Jehde posted:

Looked it up, primate city basically means the city is double the population of the next biggest city.

That can't be the only definition being used for that map, because New York is a little more than double the size of the next largest city in the US.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Probably using metro areas instead, since that gives a more realistic size comparison between cities with different levels of annexation.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Paradoxish posted:

That can't be the only definition being used for that map, because New York is a little more than double the size of the next largest city in the US.

metropolitan areas are far more useful for this kind of analysis than strict city jurisdictions. new york city only has 40% of the population of the entire new york metro, and even then this relatively high concentration is due to aggressive consolidation at the turn of the century making new york city one of the larger american cities by geographic area

the new york metro has something like 25m people, the next largest is los angeles with like 19m, and then chicago with like 10m iirc

Unreal_One posted:

Probably using metro areas instead, since that gives a more realistic size comparison between cities with different levels of annexation.

yeah exactly this. every metro area is widely divergent in terms of number of cities in the metro, size, density, etc. jacksonville, fl is enormous - twice the size of NYC by area - and so clocks in as one of the largest cities in the us by pop just because it dominates its metro area due to a city-county consolidation. if you look at the jacksonville metro pop compared to other metros it drops down near the bottom of the top 50. atlanta is the 39th largest city by pop but the atlanta metro is like the 8th largest, because atlanta is only like 10% of the metro area

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Mar 19, 2017

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The definition includes significance as well, which is why New York doesn't get the title. It's important, but it doesn't overshadow Washington' politics.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The definition includes significance as well, which is why New York doesn't get the title. It's important, but it doesn't overshadow Washington' politics.

Or LA's Hollywood.

This makes primate cities especially useless on the Canadian provincial level, since the trend is that our most populous cities are not the centre of politics. Vancouver, Victoria; Calgary, Edmonton; Toronto, Ottawa; Montreal, Quebec...

Significance does seem to be part of the original definition, but how the hell do you quantify that. I imagine the population of the metro area of any given city is more relevant.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 19, 2017

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Mr. Belpit posted:

Kyoto? There are a bunch of cities bigger than Kyoto though?

Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe is counted as one metro area and has 20 million people. The Nagoya metro area has 10 million.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Platystemon posted:

I’m New Zealand.

I'm that small island in the Indian Ocean, the Falklands, and also loving Uruguay.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I'm German and use Firefox, can confirm

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Jehde posted:

Significance does seem to be part of the original definition, but how the hell do you quantify that. I imagine the population of the metro area of any given city is more relevant.
While there are going to be edge cases, it doesn't seem to be that tough to actually figure it out if you go to the country level. Select the largest city, than check for these conditions:

1. Is it the capital?
2. Is it at least twice as populous as the next city? (Metro level is not necessarily a great measure, especially not if it starts lumping entire cities together.)

At which point you've probably eliminated most of the non-primate "largest city in a given country" cities. You can then follow that up with "Does the city clearly dominate the finance/music/movie/games/television industry?" which I imagine would take care of most of the rest. That said, including education/the scientific community as one to dominate too seems like something that could take the primate city title from a lot of cities that would otherwise get it no problem, but then I'm not sure if it really should be counted.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Having done no fact checking whatsoever, isn't the term "corporate city"?

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

While there are going to be edge cases, it doesn't seem to be that tough to actually figure it out if you go to the country level. Select the largest city, than check for these conditions:

1. Is it the capital?
2. Is it at least twice as populous as the next city? (Metro level is not necessarily a great measure, especially not if it starts lumping entire cities together.)

At which point you've probably eliminated most of the non-primate "largest city in a given country" cities. You can then follow that up with "Does the city clearly dominate the finance/music/movie/games/television industry?" which I imagine would take care of most of the rest. That said, including education/the scientific community as one to dominate too seems like something that could take the primate city title from a lot of cities that would otherwise get it no problem, but then I'm not sure if it really should be counted.

I think this makes sense for most situations but I'm not sure how Stockholm, Manila and Kuala Lumpur (and maybe Tokyo and Kiev) missed out on primate city status on that map, by this definition.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

(Metro level is not necessarily a great measure, especially not if it starts lumping entire cities together.)

But in some cases, the urban area is larger than the city's administrative limits. Paris is 2 million people, but the actual urban area is more like 10 million because the suburbs are still independent cities.

You can see how the built-up area is bigger than Paris proper (75 on the map).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I know Finland is a made-up country as part of a complicated scheme to secure Japanese fishing rights, but what's the story with Belgium?