Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
Good place to store your jet fuel too.

Ethiopia landslide: Number of dead at rubbish dump hits 113

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-39279210

What a rotten way to die.

Didn't they film a bunch of the Earthside scenes of Elysium here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

I thought this was going to end with the waitress hammer throwing that lizard off of the balcony and I cannot stop laughing about it.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

MausoleumExtremist posted:

Didn't they film a bunch of the Earthside scenes of Elysium here?

No, it was the Mexico City landfill - an even bigger (14km long) dump with small towns controlled by gangs and even strip bars servicing the scrappers.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
They had to re-open the gates on the Oroville Dam Main Spillway yesterday, this video starts before they do that and keeps an eye on things as they ramp up to 50,000 CFS

Second half of the video is discussing what the current plan is for operations through Summer, and an update on repairs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQe0J5NLLT4

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Boiled Water posted:

Which we should be incredibly thankful for, I mean imagine where else we'd have to go to get uncontaminated steel (or iron and carbon? )

It's not iron or steel, but lead made from ingots raised from ancient Roman shipwrecks gets used for shielding in some particle accelerator detectors for the same reason.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

`Nemesis posted:

They had to re-open the gates on the Oroville Dam Main Spillway yesterday, this video starts before they do that and keeps an eye on things as they ramp up to 50,000 CFS

Second half of the video is discussing what the current plan is for operations through Summer, and an update on repairs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQe0J5NLLT4

This is very informative. Basically they need to keep the main spillway volume at 40-50k CFS. Any higher and it will damage the rest of the lower spillway, and lower and it will cause headway erosion into the upper portion.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am surprised they even give a poo poo about the lower part of the spillway as I would have just written it off.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

oohhboy posted:

I am surprised they even give a poo poo about the lower part of the spillway as I would have just written it off.

Well, you dont want the whole thing breaking up and clogging up the river, even if it is wrote off.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

mmmm gummy nut

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

drat, it's gotta be around 600 C to be visibly red. :stare:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Probably been posted before but:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

oohhboy posted:

Yeah, their main concern with the lower spillway was debris clogging up the pond at the bottom. It's already been written off.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Probably not the best thread for it, but this was cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quxXmJ9T16U

keep an eye on the building when the blasts go off.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't know why they didn't some how protect the windows, or just pre-remove all the glass if they knew they'd have to re-glaze. Or maybe they're tearing down the whole facility over stages so don't give a poo poo.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Baronjutter posted:

I don't know why they didn't some how protect the windows, or just pre-remove all the glass if they knew they'd have to re-glaze. Or maybe they're tearing down the whole facility over stages so don't give a poo poo.

The Dutch don't care about a bit of broken glass when they're having fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThG9Z0xvZtk

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

They are. It's an old gas-run power plant. They're getting rid of it completely because it was barely used anymore (despite some attempts by people to get it registered as historical heritage), and then the company who owns it is going to see if they can use the site for sustainable energy production.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

C.M. Kruger posted:

So what's going on there? Current accidentally earthing through a water pipe or something?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

C.M. Kruger posted:

That's pretty festive. If they could rig that up all over their roof they'd save a bundle on Christmas lights every year

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That's pretty festive. If they could rig that up all over their roof they'd save a bundle on Christmas lights every year

I think they'd save a bundle precisely once.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

C.M. Kruger posted:

Gotta love all the precarious plastic and cardboard nearby.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Now really sure the comparison is apt. Roller coasters get inspected every single day they operate. lovely condos do not.

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

Memento posted:

So what's going on there? Current accidentally earthing through a water pipe or something?

The line has a current flowing through it alright but that line doesn't carry water. That's the gas line. :v:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

:magical:

Time to slowly back away before running and screaming.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

I went to The Shooting Gallery in Orlando (right across the road from the local prison!) back in I think September 2015 to shoot some machine guns, since they're the closest place with guns to rent and they have a selection of interesting things like Thompsons and a Sten Mk. V.

First safety concern: they do not have range officers. At all. They monitor the range from security cameras, but there's nobody physically on the range to handle problems. This is a big issue because anyone who demonstrates some modicum of competence will be allowed onto the range with a fully automatic submachine gun or assault rifle and no direct supervision. Because I didn't specifically ask for help, I was allowed to walk into the range with an AKM, a Thompson, an Uzi, and MP5K, and a Sten gun (along with a variety of handguns) by myself. This isn't a huge deal for someone like myself who's an experienced shooter and has fired automatic weapons before, but you'll see groups of college kids run out with a shotgun or Colt 9mm SMG that they barely know how to point.

Second concern: awful care for their guns. I have to dig around for the picture, but the AK I fired was rusted on the inside and the trigger disconnector broke so it became permanently full auto. At one point the bolt locked back and I thought I was empty, until I remembered that the bolt doesn't lock back on AKs. When I finished the last magazine, the bolt was stuck forward on an empty chamber and the fire selector was incapable of being pushed up further than the middle position.

The Uzi had a broken ejector (which they freely admitted to), so you needed to fire in short bursts and tilt slightly to the right to guarantee proper ejection. The Sten would mysteriously stop firing mid-burst for no apparent reason; it would function once you released the trigger and pulled again, but there was no telling how long you could fire before it would stop. The Ruger Vaquero had its detents for rotating the cylinder very slightly off from the loading gate, so you needed to hold the cylinder in the right position to eject casings and load new rounds.

They also had no idea how the magazine loader for the Sten worked. They had one, but never learned how to use it. I had to puzzle over it with the manager at the counter to figure it out.

I went to this same range back in around 2009, I'm glad to see they have improved on their safety!

I was a UK goon on holiday and went in there, all they did is ask me for my driving license and then they handed me a black plastic shopping basket to go an pick weapons to put in the basket. I took it back to the counter and the guy behind said nothing but dropped a load of ammo in the basket and pointed at the range. Guess that was all the training I needed.

No supervision, no training, not even a "lol British guy, you don't use guns". I didn't die that day just a FYI.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

deported to Canada posted:

I didn't die that day just a FYI.

lol this rear end in a top hat doesn't even know he's posting on ghost sa

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

mod saas posted:

lol this rear end in a top hat doesn't even know he's posting on ghost sa

It takes some people a while to adjust.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I was given a handbook but I didn't read it.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Ghost wandering internet post.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think the last time this was posted the conclusion was, sadly, that the nut was probably just heated up with a torch (nothing else is glowing, look at all the scorch marks around it, etc) and it's not some incredible electrical fault.

Taerkar posted:

:magical:

Time to slowly back away before running and screaming.

well tbf if it's a gas line there's only gas inside it, and you can't have an explosion by heating gas unless some oxygen were to get inside as well. Perfectly safe :pseudo:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I think when it gets to that point you should just assume that everything was done wrong.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Sagebrush posted:

I think the last time this was posted the conclusion was, sadly, that the nut was probably just heated up with a torch (nothing else is glowing, look at all the scorch marks around it, etc) and it's not some incredible electrical fault

my alternate conclusion is that it's resistance from insufficient contact surface. look how it's brighter where the nut contacts the washer. a torch wouldn't create that kind of thermal gradient from one end of the nut to the other. the charring around it can easily be explained by the immense heat radiating from the nut and/or conducting into the wire and burning the insulation.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Found some pre-OSHA fun.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

wyoming posted:

Found some pre-OSHA fun.

Safety tip number 1: avoid bong hits.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Safety tip number 1: avoid bong hits.

He's also clearly intoxicated and or a reindeer.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

It's just orochi flames. No big.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Why, though? Does that transformer contain a crapload of potassium for some reason?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

wyoming posted:

Found some pre-OSHA fun.

Moving away from HUGE loving GIANT GODZILLA-SIZED wrenches saved a lot of lives :mmmhmm:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

Moving away from HUGE loving GIANT GODZILLA-SIZED wrenches saved a lot of lives :mmmhmm:

I remembered the wrench in this photo being larger than it is

but luckily i found this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Sagebrush posted:

I remembered the wrench in this photo being larger than it is

look at the size of that guy's nuts :prepop: