Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Teenage Fansub posted:

DCYou Supes was all neighbourhood good guy with a motorcycle. Not very bro-ish.
(The pitfighting didn't happen. :colbert: (e: You too can chose to live in a universe where Gene Yang's first DC comic was New Super-Man #1.))

Dude if you don't want to read a comic where Superman has lucha libre fights with Aztec deities or whatever the hell was going on there, I don't know what you want out of life.

(was it ridiculous? Of course it was, but it was fun ridiculous)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Dude if you don't want to read a comic where Superman has lucha libre fights with Aztec deities or whatever the hell was going on there, I don't know what you want out of life.

(was it ridiculous? Of course it was, but it was fun ridiculous)

Amen to that. That arc fuckin' ruled.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

:black101:

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Why does Red Hood's mask look like an Iron Man helmet? Why is Bizarro's face all super gaunt and skull-like? Why does it look like that axe is just sorta floating there and Artemis has her hands on it rather than like she's holding it? Why does that bat statue- because it's clearly a bat, it doesn't look like any kind of gargoyle- have a nose ring?

Edit: Oh, can't forget! Fuckin' trigger discipline.

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 18, 2017

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

I feel like every time I come into this thread there are really awesome looking RHATO images posted. Every Time.

I should start reading that book.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

http://insidepulse.com/2017/03/18/d...steve-trevor-1/

Some sort of Steve Trevor one-shot got announced for June, I guess.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Mr President posted:

I feel like every time I come into this thread there are really awesome looking RHATO images posted. Every Time.

I should start reading that book.

Don't. It stinks.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Does Mr President aka American Dracula evoke some sort of s5 Buffy thing where everyone forgets who he is as soon as he goes offscreen or something?

In any case, RHatO isn't currently that bad. *shrug*

Roth posted:

http://insidepulse.com/2017/03/18/d...steve-trevor-1/

Some sort of Steve Trevor one-shot got announced for June, I guess.
Mad as hell this isn't entitled Wonder Woman's Boyfriend: Steve Trevor.

Not sure who Tim Seeley is. Hope he's good.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

He wrote Grayson, and is doing the current Nightwing series

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

BrianWilly posted:

Does Mr President aka American Dracula evoke some sort of s5 Buffy thing where everyone forgets who he is as soon as he goes offscreen or something?

In any case, RHatO isn't currently that bad. *shrug*

Mad as hell this isn't entitled Wonder Woman's Boyfriend: Steve Trevor.

Why does everyone start up every time I post here? I genuinely like DC and want to talk comics and I'm not going to let some easily offended sissies run me away. You don't even know my views and I'm not looking for trouble. I don't like that they made The Ray gay and I don't like that Jaime replaced Ted. Big Deal. Get over it already.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Nobody wants to talk to you. Go away.

Anyway, what is even happening in Odyssey of the Amazons? This really does feel like Season 2 of a TV Series, and I feel lost. Maybe it'll make more sense to me when the full thing is out, and I can read it all in one go.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It had an interesting start, but I've squarely dropped it at this point. The story is harder and harder to get into and the art does it no favors. Not fond of this interpretation of the Valkyries, really.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm only going to bother finishing it because it's a mini-series. I wish the other proposal by the other team that got rejected was accepted instead.

Also, shout outs to my LCS for giving me The Wild Storm variant of shirtless Grifter on it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mr President posted:

I don't like that they made The Ray gay and I don't like that Jaime replaced Ted. Big Deal. Get over it already.

You get over it. If you stop bringing it up, especially when provoked, there might come a day when you'll be able to make an innocuous post without getting jumped on.

Now enough of that. Bernie Wrightson passed :(
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/19/comic-legend-bernie-wrightson-passed-away/

edit: I have his Batman: The Cult hanging around in my Comixology backlog. Time to pull it out, finally.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Mar 19, 2017

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Oh, I'm not surprised after he retired, but still. :( He was a master of his craft, Batman/Aliens was one of my earliest comics.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mr President posted:

Why does everyone start up every time I post here? I genuinely like DC and want to talk comics and I'm not going to let some easily offended sissies run me away. You don't even know my views and I'm not looking for trouble. I don't like that they made The Ray gay and I don't like that Jaime replaced Ted. Big Deal. Get over it already.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

He wrote Hack/Slash, which I have a complete collection of:negative:

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Co-wrote Grayson with Tom King, now solo writer on Nightwing. Those are pretty good books.

Speaking of, yeah, Nightwing is just playing the greatest hits from the Dickbats era, but I do not care, because these are some of my favorite comics ever, and oh my god, I'm becoming the kind of blinded-by-nostalgia fanboy that I once hated.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Just finished up the late 80s Checkmate series. The series is good until issue 26ish when the art changes and the book starts to feel rushed. I would recommend reading it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Finally caught up on the Superman crossover. I was initially disappointed to see Mxy was the fake Clark, but having now read the three parts I can say this is a good story. Did anyone else notice that Mxy appears to be from pre-New 52?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

You get over it. If you stop bringing it up, especially when provoked, there might come a day when you'll be able to make an innocuous post without getting jumped on.

Now enough of that. Bernie Wrightson passed :(
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/19/comic-legend-bernie-wrightson-passed-away/

edit: I have his Batman: The Cult hanging around in my Comixology backlog. Time to pull it out, finally.

Batman: Cult is a really solid if not overlooked Batman story and his artwork is the right kind of trippy to all our horror needed for that book.
Bernie was probably the best horror artist in my opinion.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mr Hootington posted:

Finally caught up on the Superman crossover. I was initially disappointed to see Mxy was the fake Clark, but having now read the three parts I can say this is a good story. Did anyone else notice that Mxy appears to be from pre-New 52?

Well he explicitly said he's the same dude in this comic as he is in the animated series, pre crisis, post crisis, whatevs. No matter what mxy you're running into is just mxy. Except maybe the Smallville version.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
And Morrison's version.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
Have they resolved who New 52 Superman was though? Or is that mystery still ongoing?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mr President posted:

Have they resolved who New 52 Superman was though? Or is that mystery still ongoing?

At the moment it looks like He's Superman Red, and the Clark we've been reading about is Superman Blue, and both of them are the same Superman, presumably the post-Crisis Superman, but split apart. I think it's pretty obviously going to end with both of them merging into the 'real' Superman, which is to say, Superdad but without the baggage of being from another continuity, and allow them to bring Clark and Lois back into the public.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The final issue of the crossover is this week. Find out for yourself in a few days.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Catching up on Batman books and I notice Psycho Pirate remembers the crisis. Are other characters popping up that remember preflashpoint or the crisis? Specifically Flash, Wonder Woman, or JLA?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Remembering continuities is Psycho Pirate's thing.

There's Lois and Clark, of course.
Zero Hour Parallax, if he's still around.
I dunno if Braniac's turned up since Convergence, but he might still retain all that knowledge.
I assume Barry still knows he went through Flashpoint.
I think the characters in N52 Legion Lost or LOSH acknowledged Flashpoint, but that could have been all forgotten about by the time they came back for JLUnited. Can't remember.

I saw a panel from the current JL storyline where some magic girl was telling some of them about previous Crisises. It's probably not actually a huge deal, or they'll wake up not remembering anything, since DC hasn't been telling you to read it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 20, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I finished the first volume of Robin, Son of Batman. I really wasn't expecting this series to get that crazy, since I figured it would be primarily street-level crimefighting.

Instead I got straight up demons, and I really enjoyed that. Too bad the library doesn't have the second volume yet.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ElNarez posted:

Co-wrote Grayson with Tom King, now solo writer on Nightwing. Those are pretty good books.

Speaking of, yeah, Nightwing is just playing the greatest hits from the Dickbats era, but I do not care, because these are some of my favorite comics ever, and oh my god, I'm becoming the kind of blinded-by-nostalgia fanboy that I once hated.

The only thing I disliked about it is how consistently lovely Damian is throughout. Him getting in a snit because people on Twitter think Dick's cooler than him is utterly in character, but I would've liked to have seen even just a moment or two more explicit caring for Dick once it became clear his girlfriend was kidnapped.

I also feel like they rushed headlong into this kidnapping story where they could've used a breather arc, maybe something a little more comedic, with the Outsiders (c'mon, that's totally where they're going with that support group, right?) dipping their toes into heroics now that there's less at stake, so we get comfortable with Shawn and Dick as a couple. There's honestly a dearth of this in most serial media now, where they rush past the peaks to plunge into the troughs, not realising that if we never have enough time to get used to something, taking it away means nothing.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

My favorite part with Damian in this arc was him complaining about how he should be Batman to the other Titans, who either don't care or think it should be Dick.

Kind of liking that spin where Damian claims to be their leader, and they pretty much just go, "Sure, whatever kid"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I mean, who wants to bet that Shawn either decided to break up with Dick because of the risk, or that whatever Professor Pyg does to her causes her to lose her memory of Nightwing's identity and thus she's stuck with a pregnancy by a guy she doesn't remember?

Roth posted:

My favorite part with Damian in this arc was him complaining about how he should be Batman to the other Titans, who either don't care or think it should be Dick.

Kind of liking that spin where Damian claims to be their leader, and they pretty much just go, "Sure, whatever kid"

This was pretty funny, and Gar in particular was being used to wind the brat up.

The done-in-one about the relationship was pretty fun as well (the joke about her dad's restaurant was basically a much, much less awkward version of the Irish joke from the Dixon run), as was the cameo by Nightwing in BoP so they could have Babs and Helena reacting to the situation.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't really care about the character that much but I think their relationship is nice, and if they do anything so cliche as fridging her, fridging her pregnancy, or having then break up because of supervillain bullshit I think I'll probably cancel the book.

If they break up for some other reason or it turns out she wasn't pregnant after all, or if they stay together, great, but I'm not digging what appears to be the current outcome of this arc.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

A little more solicit news: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/0...ocafort-titans/

Kenneth Rocafort is on the Titans art team from June

and 'Batman' goes into a flashback Riddler/Joker storyline after the Button crossover.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Action Comics 976 spoilers are out there: Seems like what everyone assumed happened. Post Crisis Lois and Clark turned into blue energy and merged into the bodies of N52 Lois and Clark. Where it deviates a bit from theories is that this caused the entire history to rewrite so that Superman was always present in the N52 universe and was always with Lois and everyone in the Superman supporting family knows Jon. I guess this completely retcons most of N52 Superman but it's ambiguous as to what happened and what didn't. With history changed I have no clue how this affects New Super-Man, Superwoman and his relationship with the rest of the Justice League since it's now that he's always been the only Superman. I imagine this also completely erases all of his relationship with Wonder Woman. All in all it seems things are just a lot more confusing now than they were before this started. But the family dynamic is still there so that makes me happy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

Action Comics 976 spoilers are out there: Seems like what everyone assumed happened. Post Crisis Lois and Clark turned into blue energy and merged into the bodies of N52 Lois and Clark. Where it deviates a bit from theories is that this caused the entire history to rewrite so that Superman was always present in the N52 universe and was always with Lois and everyone in the Superman supporting family knows Jon. I guess this completely retcons most of N52 Superman but it's ambiguous as to what happened and what didn't. With history changed I have no clue how this affects New Super-Man, Superwoman and his relationship with the rest of the Justice League since it's now that he's always been the only Superman. I imagine this also completely erases all of his relationship with Wonder Woman. All in all it seems things are just a lot more confusing now than they were before this started. But the family dynamic is still there so that makes me happy.

I like how they somehow managed to make the explanation *more* complex than just "it's Superman from another timeline."

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

And nothing of value was lost.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Now let's never use the term "Superbro" again.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #11
Written by SCOTT LOBDELL • Art by DEXTER SOY • Cover by KENNETH ROCAFORT • Variant cover by GUILLEM MARCH
Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details. Includes a code for a free digital download of this issue.
“Who is Artemis?” finale! The Dark Trinity faces a bigger threat than ever before, with thousands of lives hanging in the balance! After Akila resurrects an army of Amazon warriors aimed at destroying an entire country, Artemis is given a choice—fulfill her destiny as the champion of Bana-Mighdall, or stand by her new allies, Red Hood and Bizarro?
On sale JUNE 14 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T+

That didn't took long :v:

Full Solicits

http://www.newsarama.com/33652-dc-comics-june-2017-solicitations.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Now we know why Snyder is on Batman/Shadow.

He gets to write The Joker again!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 20, 2017