Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Sakurazuka posted:

No, the combat isn't on the same level as something like MGR or Bayonetta, it's an action RPG with slicker than usual combat rather than a character action game or whatever you call those.

I see.

I think FF15 may have more involved combat. Except for the twin stick shooter parts. I think I dig those the most so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

StrixNebulosa posted:

You're welcome!

I, uh, I didn't realize you could do loops until halfway through the game. Felt like a real dummy when I finally set one up by accident.

I made it to Osaka without realizing that, and it looks like that's about halfway. :v:

I'm gonna blame it on none of the level previews (so far) having any loops in them.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So Nier: A... I'm about four hours in. Does the combat get more interesting? Because it's definitely not hooking me in the same way Revengeance did. I'm playing on normal and I have gotten through everything basically by button mashing and holding down R1. If the difficulty bump just turns off lock-on and I take more damage, I don't think that would resolve any issues. All the weapons feel the same and all the enemies feel the same, and the fact that there have been multiple fights where it doesn't seem to matter whether I was doing badly or well but it just moves on because the next cinematic beat needs to happen, makes it feel even less meaningful. I guess I'm somewhat interested in pushing the story along but that's about it

Sounds a lot like the original Nier! :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CJacobs posted:

I watched a bit of the new pokemon anime in japanese, and holy poo poo mimikyu sounds like a diseased feral animal. It's a terrifying creature.

oh forill? my only exposure to ot has been the mimikyu rap where it cattily complains that pikachu is a busta :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The White Dragon posted:

oh forill? my only exposure to ot has been the mimikyu rap where it cattily complains that pikachu is a busta :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8pSmKliGUM

Listen to this goddamn thing :stare:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sakurazuka posted:

No, the combat isn't on the same level as something like MGR or Bayonetta, it's an action RPG with slicker than usual combat rather than a character action game or whatever you call those.

3D brawlers.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Castle Ravenloft is a game I have no idea how to play and I would like to learn the rules of it before I try teaching it to others (because, I mean, duh), and I hope to one day have money so that I can purchase all of the other board games I've suddenly found out about that I think look interesting, such as:

boss monsters, quarriors, kemet, scythe, theseus the dark orbit, tiny epic western, tiny epic galaxies, ra, neuroshima hex, 51st state, imperial settlers, onitama, millennium blades, mega man pixel tactics, dead men tell no tales, north wind, ticket to ride pennsylvania, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa there are too many I want to get and not enough money to get any!!!!! >:[

I know it's more than you like to spend, but Neuroshima Hex has an android version that plays fairly similar to the real deal, just more predictable opponents. Havent played the ticket to ride app. But i have to say, i like being able to spend 2 or 3 bucks to mess around with a board game concept. Especially since I know there's plenty of cool concepts that end up being meh and collect dust or a 60 dollar doorstop.

Cosmic Encounters is my favourite board game in my limited board game experience.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I've come to the conclusion that everyone owns all of the new Hitman game, because no one can answer my question about if I can buy a single episode, then the bundle and not pay for that single episode twice. :sigh:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've come to the conclusion that everyone owns all of the new Hitman game, because no one can answer my question about if I can buy a single episode, then the bundle and not pay for that single episode twice. :sigh:

I own everything except the bonus episode, and the upgrade pack doesn't subtract any of the price for me. $25 for just the bonus episode.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I own everything except the bonus episode, and the upgrade pack doesn't subtract any of the price for me. $25 for just the bonus episode.

Well frick.

I do have some good news for you! The bonus ep is DLC now so you can get it for 5$

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

Well frick.

I do have some good news for you! The bonus ep is DLC now so you can get it for 5$

Thanks, I did hear about it. I saved $.04 buying all the episodes individually so I can pay $4.99 for just the bonuses now! :suicide:

e: To be clear, when I did that the bonus episode was not a separate piece of DLC, so it wasn't listed as an item in the upgrade pack. Getting every item in the bundle separately was cheaper than buying the bundle.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Thanks, I did hear about it. I saved $.04 buying all the episodes individually so I can pay $4.99 for just the bonuses now! :suicide:

:rip:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Nasgate posted:

I know it's more than you like to spend, but Neuroshima Hex has an android version that plays fairly similar to the real deal, just more predictable opponents. Havent played the ticket to ride app. But i have to say, i like being able to spend 2 or 3 bucks to mess around with a board game concept. Especially since I know there's plenty of cool concepts that end up being meh and collect dust or a 60 dollar doorstop.

Cosmic Encounters is my favourite board game in my limited board game experience.

Unfortunately I don't have any kind of smart device so apps are right out, and while owning virtual things is nice, I also like having physical copies I can bring with me since I feel like they provide a bit more "oomph" if that makes sense.

I haven't played cosmic encounter, and I only know 2 things about it.

1. I've heard it is a very funny game with friends for the first 20 minutes and then it turns into a boring timesink where the same thing happens over and over for the rest of the game until somebody wins.
2. The tabletop simulator trailer for the official cosmic encounter dlc is absolutely one of the worst trailers I've seen for a game ever.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/405130/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

e: To be clear, when I did that the bonus episode was not a separate piece of DLC, so it wasn't listed as an item in the upgrade pack. Getting every item in the bundle separately was cheaper than buying the bundle.

Yeah, it was a classy way of screwing you over as a customer.

...If you don't own the bonus ep DLC now, could you check that the upgrade bundle still lists it as full price?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yeah, it was a classy way of screwing you over as a customer.

...If you don't own the bonus ep DLC now, could you check that the upgrade bundle still lists it as full price?

I don't know if I'm misunderstanding the question or if I didn't explain myself well enough already, but here's a picture of what I get:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I don't know if I'm misunderstanding the question or if I didn't explain myself well enough already, but here's a picture of what I get:

No, you're not misunderstanding, I just wanted to check that they hadn't changed it up, but nope, they're still being as greedy as possible, and in the end it would be better for me to get the whole pack at once.

Thanks for the effort!

(To explain why I'm such a miser I've only got enough cash left in my game budget this month for roughly twenty bucks, so I'd be stretching it and so it would have been nice if I could just get Sapienza for now and get the rest later, but nope. ... And stretching for the whole game is worth it, but I gotta waffle first, it's the responsible thing to do.)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In the early 00s they tried to get Cosmic Encounter Online to be a thing, it was pretty fun but never caught on even remotely, which is sad because it's definitely an S Tier party boardgame with tons of wacky fuckery.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Unfortunately I don't have any kind of smart device so apps are right out, and while owning virtual things is nice, I also like having physical copies I can bring with me since I feel like they provide a bit more "oomph" if that makes sense.

I haven't played cosmic encounter, and I only know 2 things about it.

1. I've heard it is a very funny game with friends for the first 20 minutes and then it turns into a boring timesink where the same thing happens over and over for the rest of the game until somebody wins.
2. The tabletop simulator trailer for the official cosmic encounter dlc is absolutely one of the worst trailers I've seen for a game ever.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/405130/

Ah fair.

Imho cosmic isone of the best games ive played in terms of getting what you put into it. There's different ways to set up what aliens you use that can really change how the game unfolds and its pace. The expacs also nicely maintain the base games design decision of having simple rule that can be significantly altered by the aliens. That said, i can totally understand point 1. My family i play with are all about rules abuse, from chess to DnD, so it really fits us.

That vid is hilarious tho.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What's the control scheme I need to use in TW3 so that Geralt doesn't float around like a spaz indoors again?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

precision posted:

In the early 00s they tried to get Cosmic Encounter Online to be a thing, it was pretty fun but never caught on even remotely, which is sad because it's definitely an S Tier party boardgame with tons of wacky fuckery.

Every time I try to play that game I get annoyed because the rules are so hard to keep in my head along with how all the powers work and interact.

I think the reason it probably didn't quite catch on was because if the huge number of powers and how the Poker aspect makes social play more fun.

Then again, online poker was huge so maybe just the fact that it's so niche?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I know they'll never do it because it'd basically make their number one source of revenue obsolete, but I wish games workshop would make a warhammer 40k video game that's just Warhammer 40k. Being able to play that poo poo online without having to set up a million little dudes on a board and having the computer do the dice calculations for you would actually make it possible for me to ever play a game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Isn't that already Total War Warhammer?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Nope. That's just a Total War game with Warhammer characters in it. The ruleset is Total War. And it's not even 40k.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ah, okay.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I have thought about that and get the feeling that a fully digitized version of the game might be too shallow and show the cracks in it. I haven't played since like 5th ed so I can't speak for current 40k but it was not a particularly interesting game and really came down to army make up and just rolling huge amounts of dice. Still, it could probably still be fun and might actually get GW to come up with more interesting rules.

I'd say WF Fantasy Battle was the more interesting game from a rules stand-point and Total Warhammer was actually a good fit for translating it into real time battles. The same could probably be said for 40k and Dawn of War.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So Nier: A... I'm about four hours in. Does the combat get more interesting? Because it's definitely not hooking me in the same way Revengeance did. I'm playing on normal and I have gotten through everything basically by button mashing and holding down R1. If the difficulty bump just turns off lock-on and I take more damage, I don't think that would resolve any issues. All the weapons feel the same and all the enemies feel the same, and the fact that there have been multiple fights where it doesn't seem to matter whether I was doing badly or well but it just moves on because the next cinematic beat needs to happen, makes it feel even less meaningful. I guess I'm somewhat interested in pushing the story along but that's about it

On Hard most enemies in Route A will kill you in one hit so you have to pay really close attention to when and where you're attacking

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

is it platinum hard where you get killed in one hit but so do the enemies

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

is it platinum hard where you get killed in one hit but so do the enemies

No the enemies still have health. And it makes bosses stressful nightmares because they're still like 10 minute encounters where an errant bullet can OHKO

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

On Very Hard literally everything is a one hit KO.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

exquisite tea posted:

I am going to play Nier: Automata.

I changed my mind and am going to play A Night in the Woods.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

exquisite tea posted:

I changed my mind and am going to play A Night in the Woods.

good choice imho

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm playing though A Night in the Woods with a friend and it is so so good

Crimes

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Huh, better animation than I remember that show ever having.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Tomorrow is the 10th anniversary of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl being released. :rip:

The Pokemon TV show invented having the Pokemon say their names over and over instead of making animal noises because when it's just grunts and roars and cries of pain the whole time it really drives home how hosed up and brutal it is to have kids making their pets fight each other for entertainment.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I have a Night in the Woods question. When the game gives me a chance to hang out with either Gregg or Bea on a given day, am I missing out on content and having to do a second playthrough or do i just eventually see all the events with Gregg and Bea if i go back and forth between them?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm finally doing the adventure mode on Hyrule Warriors, and I have all the DLC if that matters. Is there a place I should be leveling the characters, or should I just be playing and trying to get the highest rank I can on each map?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zaggitz posted:

I have a Night in the Woods question. When the game gives me a chance to hang out with either Gregg or Bea on a given day, am I missing out on content and having to do a second playthrough or do i just eventually see all the events with Gregg and Bea if i go back and forth between them?

You'll have to do another playthrough for whatever you didn't see.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So I was at Target yesterday and asked about the mini Nintendo and the guy said that Nintendo stopped making them and they wouldn't be getting any more. Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So I was at Target yesterday and asked about the mini Nintendo and the guy said that Nintendo stopped making them and they wouldn't be getting any more. Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

There's not, I got one last week.

http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/nesclassicmini/

Gamestop had some on Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

drat Dirty Ape posted:

No, Reggie and Kimishima said they would continue to produce them. Some stores, such as Gametstop and Target, had them in stock a few days ago.

• Locked thread