Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

d0s posted:

I thought you guys were talking about the other RH and I was like wait who are you people

Yeah thankfully RandyHorses.com has been up the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

hey I've been out of this hobby for a while, whats a good place online to get famicom and SFC carts these days? if there are still any

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
ebay, have at

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Find your local retro games shop and frequent it enough that the owner recognizes you. That's my play anyway.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Find your local retro games shop and frequent it enough that the owner recognizes you. That's my play anyway.

This is also a good way to get them to seek out more obscure consoles for you.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Worked for me a long time ago when Gamestop was still carrying 8&16bit games, spent a lot of time hanging out in one particular store talking to a manager who was really into shmups and stuff, he ended up putting stuff aside for me stuff like complete boxed Musha, Thunder Force V for PSX, and a bunch of the Treasure games. Of course this was also before this stuff was worth really insane prices so I'm not sure how far making some dude's workday less boring will go now

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

blamegame posted:

hey I've been out of this hobby for a while, whats a good place online to get famicom and SFC carts these days? if there are still any

Ebay or using a proxy bidding service for yahoo auctions.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Speaking of, I'm at my local shop as I post this and they have a Jaguar for 150 should I do it? The only games they have are Raiden and tempest

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Finally had the time to sit down and set up Pseudo Saturn Kai and I'm pretty disappointed with the results. Too many freezes and almost always after some time into a game for maximum frustration.

I should have just bought another mod chip. I'd have been ok to use the cart as a backup for saves. How long do those coin batteries last anyway? Always ends up needing to be changed around the time I dig it out of storage.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

worthless. posted:

Speaking of, I'm at my local shop as I post this and they have a Jaguar for 150 should I do it? The only games they have are Raiden and tempest

Stop

Don't.

Come back... :effort:

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

worthless. posted:

Eh...no. Unless Raiden and Tempest are included for that price.

Having owned a Jaguar, there's just really nothing great about the system. Like, it might have had a bit of potential, but Atari released it at the tail-end of their years of dysfunctional wandering in the gaming wilderness and everything I played for it was either lackluster or seemed like a half-complete demo of what could be done with the system if anyone gave a poo poo.

If you're not already an Atari enthusiast who is more in the collector mindset, it's probably not wowrth getting.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buy the dental cleaning machine instead. More useful than the jaguar.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kthulhu5000 posted:

If you're not already an Atari enthusiast who is more in the collector mindset, it's probably not wowrth getting.

I remember seeing a Jaguar and Jaguar CD on clearance for $10 each along with a fair number of the games for the system. Getting everything would have cost about $50 total.

There are collector's items I regret passing up when I had an opportunity for something cheap and that is not one of them.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I ended up getting it :retrogames: Atari has a soft place in my heart.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Silhouette posted:

It's basically a Pop'N Music controller, except the button layout is + - + instead of 4x5, and it's for the Project Diva games, of which each one is 3/4 incredibly fun rhythm game and 1/4 embarrassingly cringeworthy dating sim.

There's no dating sim elements in the Project diva games

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

In Training posted:

Where there's a will there's a way

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

worthless. posted:

no, it's an almost pathologically unfun system. play tempest 2k and avp in an emulator

e: the raiden port sucks too, play raiden project on psx (jp version has tate mode & is real cheap if you dont want to burn a cd)

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
I hear they work great with SNES mini guts

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm more of a DVR capture card man myself.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
As long as there are multiple color options...

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

general chaos posted:

Finally had the time to sit down and set up Pseudo Saturn Kai and I'm pretty disappointed with the results. Too many freezes and almost always after some time into a game for maximum frustration.

I should have just bought another mod chip. I'd have been ok to use the cart as a backup for saves. How long do those coin batteries last anyway? Always ends up needing to be changed around the time I dig it out of storage.

Do tell! Which game(s)? Most of the issues I've had with Pseudo Saturn were due to lousy CD-R media with a temperamental drive. There's also two boot methods, and if I recall correctly, JHL is the most reliable.

Mod chips are cool and good (I have two). You'll eliminate the variable of an unproven boot method, but they won't fix bad burns either.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've had hit or miss luck with Pseudo Saturn but to me it feels like problems with whatever rip I used or a lousy burn because I have retried some burns and had a totally stable, 100% perfect game.

It also seems like I have better luck with 2D stuff over 3D.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I wouldn't pay more than $50 for a Jaguar with some games. If some place is asking $150 for one, they better have it complete in box and maybe even include the CD addon on top.

What's yalls' least favorite aspect of the Jaguar? Mine is that the controller plugs will inevitably fall out of the console's ports with the slightest disturbance!!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

fishmech posted:

I wouldn't pay more than $50 for a Jaguar with some games. If some place is asking $150 for one, they better have it complete in box and maybe even include the CD addon on top.

What's yalls' least favorite aspect of the Jaguar? Mine is that the controller plugs will inevitably fall out of the console's ports with the slightest disturbance!!

No dust cover. What the actual gently caress?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

fishmech posted:

What's yalls' least favorite aspect of the Jaguar?

The fact that in addition to more advanced stuff it had a secondary 68000 processor in it, leading developers to ignore all the hard to program for new stuff and just lazily port 16-bit Amiga 500 games to it. The library is the worst thing about the Jaguar

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

So far I like that I can't increase the music slider on Raiden, so I can only make sick beats myself with the ship's gun.

Also pretty rad that there's just a few exposed pcb plugs for the A/V cables in the back. That's gonna be a fun dust time :v:

(I know this thing is butt, but it was a console I didn't have and that sort of thing doesn't just happen every day anymore.)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
This Gundam Wing Endless Duel for SNES is bomb. Holy poo poo. How did I ever miss this as a kid? It's the best fighter I've played on the SNES (not owning any others)

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

This Gundam Wing Endless Duel for SNES is bomb. Holy poo poo. How did I ever miss this as a kid? It's the best fighter I've played on the SNES (not owning any others)

I mean, unless you were really plugged in you undoubtedly missed it because it was a Super Famicom release.

Apparently the base engine is a modified version of the one used in Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Fighting Edition.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That makes sense. I got a knockoff english translated one in a standard SNES cart because it was the only one I could find for a reasonable price. It's still very good.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

It is! now go get TMNT Tournament Fighters, the other "holy poo poo this doesn't suck" licensed fighting game for SNES.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It is! now go get TMNT Tournament Fighters, the other "holy poo poo this doesn't suck" licensed fighting game for SNES.

I picked that up on a whim for like $8 a few years back at a local retro game place, expecting it to be trash, but it's actually a lot of fun. The roster is pretty weird too with a lot of stuff outside of the expected core TMNT crew. Good fun if you've got anyone kind of casually into fighting games to play it with

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Tournament Fighters is rad but some characters appear in backgrounds and you're like, "what the gently caress why aren't they playable??"

Rat King and Shredder are, though, so hey.

MMPR Fighting Edition also has this issue, in that the original Megazord is not in it, nor is the Dragonzord. Also all the 'zords have the Zordon stage background, and as rad as the MMPR theme song is a little more variety would be nice. The actual fighting is fun, though, and the super meter system is unique.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lots of people seemed to dislike Tournament Fighters but I thought it was really cool and colorful. I guess TMNT was already starting to lose popularity by that point.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That's a big part of it, as well as the weird roster.

It probably doesn't help that the Megadrive game with the same name is much, much worse and probably kept a lot of people from even trying the SNES version.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

That's a big part of it, as well as the weird roster.

It probably doesn't help that the Megadrive game with the same name is much, much worse and probably kept a lot of people from even trying the SNES version.

The nes version however is also really good and one of the few fighters available for the platform.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

HKR posted:

The nes version however is also really good and one of the few fighters available for the platform.

It honestly blew my mind that they made an NES verison too, and that... it even works :stare:

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Are there any good mini DVD-Rs I can get for homebrew on my JP GameCube that won't require loving with the laser pots? I've had a drivechip in it for uh like three years and never got around to setting up swiss or that 240p Game Boy Player software. US games work fine so the chip is functioning. The random discs I grabbed at Daiso just do nothing

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

In Training posted:

So the DIVA Room doesn't exist in the copy of Project Diva F 2nd that I own?

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

I just got a nice Trinitron CRT for my SNES and I want to get RGB input into it. From everything I have read the recommendation is to use SCART, but it's about the only connector my set doesn't have. What's my path to take with adaptors? Something like this?

SNES > NTSC SCART cable > SCART audio splitter > SCART to YPBPR > TV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Yeah but you could get audio out if the cable itself or the component adapter with easy mods.

• Locked thread