Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Veotax posted:

Maybe a stupid question, but do the items that say "can be sold for money" have any other use? I'm not selling something that can also be used for upgrades or quests, right?

Machine cores and jewelry (stuff like necklaces but not gems) are fair game. There are some actual upgrade materials that say "can be sold for money" so don't trust it

I'm on the edge about saying it's safe to sell books because I faintly recall upgrading something with a dictionary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nina posted:

Machine cores and jewelry (stuff like necklaces but not gems) are fair game. There are some actual upgrade materials that say "can be sold for money" so don't trust it

I'm on the edge about saying it's safe to sell books because I faintly recall upgrading something with a dictionary

Which material is this? I don't recall it being the case.

The more random seeming things like dye, water, dictionaries are pod upgrade materials.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Nina posted:

Books are used for Pod Upgrades, so no. Don't sell those.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Nina posted:

torn books at least are a pod upgrade mat.

beast hides are a weapon upgrade mat but I'm not sure if they say 'sold for money' or w/e.

boar/moose meat gets used for one quest, but it's not like it's hard to get.

There's a rare item desert rose where you need five of them for a quest, but it spawns five(?) of them in the quest. I also don't think they actually show up in the wild anyway, only as quest rewards.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Honestly, if you desperately need money, just equip some drop rate chips and then go to town on some enemies. Useless chips and machine cores will drop and they're all really resellable at a good profit.

I read the other day you can just simply use weapons with Machine Discount in an early chapter to bring the cost of Thick Dictionaries from the Amusement Park vendor way down and then sell them on at a profit on each, so essentially, it's infinite money. The discount effect is meant to stack too.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Mazerunner posted:

There's a rare item desert rose where you need five of them for a quest, but it spawns five(?) of them in the quest. I also don't think they actually show up in the wild anyway, only as quest rewards.

Actually they do. I found a bunch outside the quest.

Also note that apparently item prices go up in the later half of the game so you'll be raking in more dough by waiting until then to sell everything.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Nebrilos posted:

There is a specific song from this game I am trying to find the name of. It sounds just like City Ruins (Rays of Light), but is much slower and doesn't have an instrumental track (it's vocal only). It isn't City Ruins (Shade). Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Can you tell me what part of the game (roughly) you hear it? I can try to look for it. From the description I'd assume it was the Quiet + Vocal version which I don't think anyone's uploaded separately, but you just said it's not that.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Out of curiosity, am I the only one who's going thru the game nice and slow, doing sidequests as I find them?

I'm at the 14 hour mark and I just opened the hole in the city down to the Sunken City. On route A.

I love the game to bits, but I see people be like "I beat the game in ten hours" (and they mean ending A) and I'm just like :psyduck:. Are these people just aggressively skipping all the content the game tries to give you? Some of these sidequests are amazing!

Pisseth off should become part of the standard stage direction for Romeo & Juliet from now on, imo

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Took 20 for route A with all sidequests I could reasonably manage.

Total was 53 hours

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

SpaceDrake posted:

Out of curiosity, am I the only one who's going thru the game nice and slow, doing sidequests as I find them?

I'm at the 14 hour mark and I just opened the hole in the city down to the Sunken City. On route A.

I love the game to bits, but I see people be like "I beat the game in ten hours" (and they mean ending A) and I'm just like :psyduck:. Are these people just aggressively skipping all the content the game tries to give you? Some of these sidequests are amazing!

Pisseth off should become part of the standard stage direction for Romeo & Juliet from now on, imo

Seems about the same pace I was going at on my first playthrough, so you're definitely not alone. Some people are just allergic to sidequests, it's just how things are. They're the same people who love to tell people just how they skipped half the game. I don't understand them, but if they don't want to get the full value out of the game, their loss.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I really wish more streamers would use Counter it is so amazing in this game.

I'm still trying to figure how to get more diamond chips, they seem super rare as poo poo.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

SpaceDrake posted:

That quest was hilarious. There's a lot of really funny stuff (a lot of it involving Jackass) you can do in Route A, actually.

ghostinmyshell posted:

I'm still trying to figure how to get more diamond chips, they seem super rare as poo poo.

They just drop randomly. Sadly, the unit info doesn't tell you which chips that enemy type can drop, but they most definitely all have very specific drop lists.

One important trick is that you can often fuse a diamond chip with a regular chip only 1 slot greater and it'll be the same as fusing two diamond chips. That's the way I have the majority of my higher level diamond stuff.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 19, 2017

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Fuzz posted:

That quest was hilarious. There's a lot of really funny stuff (a lot of it involving Jackass) you can do in Route A, actually.

My favorite sidequest was the one where you have to give a ton of money to the inventor. I was not expecting that payoff.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

My favorite sidequest was the one where you have to give a ton of money to the inventor. I was not expecting that payoff.

I love that the payoff is visible all the time if you look for it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The best part is that it shows up in literally every cutscene on Earth for the remainder of the game.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

How much do you have to give him? I've been blowing him off until I'm rolling in cash.

Also I love the songs that play after completing some quest. Any idea how big the soundtrack is? It has to be pretty big.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I wanna say 200k in total.

There'll be probably multiple Soundtracks, like with Nier 1

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

That video I posted earlier has every variation of each track on the jukebox as its own single loop, which clocks to about 6 hours. Most soundtracks give each track 2 loops and ~4 bars of fadeout, for reference. The original Nier's soundtrack didn't have every variation, so you can bet when Automata's comes out there will probably be little things missing here and there. But it will still be good.

vvv I hate that one, it does its job way too well and I was playing super late at night on top of that

melodicwaffle fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 19, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Electric Phantasm posted:

Also I love the songs that play after completing some quest.

The best one is when you turn in the items to the machine who gives you the castle treasure hunt quest and this super ominous and creepy theme starts playing

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Snak posted:

The lockon is lovely. Like, intentionally lovely, to encourage you not to use it. If you shoot while locked on, your bullets spray wildly towards the target. It you just aim at the target, they shoot in a focused stream.

Shooting while locked-on is free damage though.
Assuming you can hold down the Fire button while doing the combat normally. I had to rebind some buttons to make that reasonably easy to do.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nina posted:

The best one is when you turn in the items to the machine who gives you the castle treasure hunt quest and this super ominous and creepy theme starts playing

I usually never attack peaceful machines but that guy had to die for making me feel bad about committing a minor genocide.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Shooting while locked-on is free damage though.
Assuming you can hold down the Fire button while doing the combat normally. I had to rebind some buttons to make that reasonably easy to do.

Get Pod C.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I will never forgive Yoko Taro for the big pushing block outside of Masamune's workshop.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Nina posted:

they had it comin

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Nina posted:

:haw: :haw: :haw: had it coming :haw: :haw: :haw:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
On the subject of sidequests, I would like one mechanical spoiler, if folks don't mind.

So I've heard what the general conceit of the routes, at least, is, and I'm a little curious about Route B in particular and carry-over mechanics. While I assume Route C-plus will pretty much be all new content and progress will carry over, how does Route B work since it's just the initial playthrough but from 9S' perspective? Do character and weapon levels carry over? Do all the sidequests reset? As a result, is it worth it to do them all again?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

FauxLeather posted:

I will never forgive Yoko Taro for the big pushing block outside of Masamune's workshop.

Haha seriously, the second time I went back there and had to move it again, I was so mad

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

On the subject of sidequests, I would like one mechanical spoiler, if folks don't mind.

So I've heard what the general conceit of the routes, at least, is, and I'm a little curious about Route B in particular and carry-over mechanics. While I assume Route C-plus will pretty much be all new content and progress will carry over, how does Route B work since it's just the initial playthrough but from 9S' perspective? Do character and weapon levels carry over? Do all the sidequests reset? As a result, is it worth it to do them all again?

Everything carries over. Completed sidequests won't restart. Some will remember their stages if half finished

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You only gotta move the weapon shop cube for two pulls, he was merciful in a way.

ghostinmyshell posted:

I just hope they don't sit back and pod only at this point. Burnt by too many streams.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
This game is bad on PC.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I just hope they don't sit back and pod only at this point. Burnt by too many streams.

Really? Most of the time I see the opposite of people being really averse to shooting

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nina posted:

Really? Most of the time I see the opposite of people being really averse to shooting

Really really. Hopefully the stupidity has cleared up then if people are actually getting stuck in.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Everything carries over. Completed sidequests won't restart. Some will remember their stages if half finished

Interesting. I'm guessing Route B is hella short then, since it's just the critical path from 9S' perspective?

I mean I'll find out, but. :v:

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You only gotta move the weapon shop cube for two pulls, he was merciful in a way.

I'm seeing pod only with anyone playing on Hard.

I started watching this stream which is working on speed running and some of the skips have been neat so far. https://www.twitch.tv/elajjaz

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

Interesting. I'm guessing Route B is hella short then, since it's just the critical path from 9S' perspective?

Its probably 5-7 hours if you collect the Robot Chests and do the Route Exclusive Sidequests

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fuzz posted:

Get Pod C.

I would if I knew where to look. I only managed to find the missile pod and only because the desert intro cutscene gave me a hint.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I would if I knew where to look. I only managed to find the missile pod and only because the desert intro cutscene gave me a hint.

Fishing in Flooded City

They hint at this in the Bunker, but it's missable

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Is there any work on the YorHa Betrayers questline being bugged? I found a pair of them at one of the marked locations, but there doesn't seem to be anything at the other two. What gives?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah no, I've bought stuff from him at the desert entrance, I've went and found dozens of weapons and stopped him a few more times for good measure. Dude just really loves the desert and won't fuckin' leave.

Emil you're makin it hard for me to keep lovin ya dude.

E: Should we be spoiling his name? I mean he was in trailers and stuff.

if you use chapter select, it resets him and you have to talk to him at the desert entrance again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

SpaceDrake posted:

In a strict sense, it's nearly as long as Route A. In reality, it'll go by much more quickly because you've probably done much of the shared content Route A/B have in terms of side content, the 9S side stuff isn't too numerous either (there's still a fair bunch