Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Istvun posted:

We can send a single car south and hope for spotting information, but beyond that things are rough.

e: trin added an end-of-round update and we don't see them in the south. Now at least we know it isn't the worst case.

Im not enthusiastic. Hed be driving around in a 4 inch sight radius, and if he does blunder into the enemy, he'll die - and we still wont know which bridge they crossed at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Loel posted:

Im not enthusiastic. Hed be driving around in a 4 inch sight radius, and if he does blunder into the enemy, he'll die - and we still wont know which bridge they crossed at.

Cars might be able to suspend night rules or something. Trin mentioned that he'd think of how to handle them if any survived to the night. And even then trying to hunt them down in darkness is not my idea of a good time.

Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary
Don't my cars have lights?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

If you wish to be spottable at 40", then by all means use your headlights.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Trin Tragula posted:

If you wish to be spottable at 40", then by all means use your headlights.

Do they let us see 40"?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What happened to the plans of bringing in reinforcements during the night?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I'd take 18" vision using headlights if we could get it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Loel posted:

Do they let us see 40"?

No, then the cars go back to unmodified spotting.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Hunt11 posted:

What happened to the plans of bringing in reinforcements during the night?

The infantry will be arriving between 0800 and 1200 tomorrow after some brisk night marching. Otherwise they would have arrived in the afternoon.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Trin Tragula posted:

No, then the cars go back to unmodified spotting.

That's a decent trade, since they likely won't be expecting it

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Can they flick the lights and then move?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Loel posted:

Can they flick the lights and then move?

The lights are either turned to On or Off and then the Movement Phase begins; if you wanted to do that, you'd have to do it over two turns.

edit: I strongly advise not making this too complicated; gently caress with the enemy, but don't gently caress with the DM too much

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
I do not see a way to write an insult in morse code overnight.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Important note: our decisions with headlights during the night will not affect their orders due to the turn cycle. So my idea for a shell game is probably right out.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current chat in thread is to put the cars about 36" from the bridges (along the Saucisson N/S road), and if they get shot we know the enemy is coming. Like so:

I think this has potential, actually. They dont have arty as far as we know, and they dont know what we are aiming at the spotlights. Creates an illusion of strength on the southern path.

Loel fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 18, 2017

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
they don't have the range to shoot at us from that far, do they?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

True. One sec, Ill draw a closer map.

Loel fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 18, 2017

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Will they be drawn like moths to the flame, or will they skitter away like roaches?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

sullat posted:

Will they be drawn like moths to the flame, or will they skitter away like roaches?

Only one way to find out

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Or they may be paralyzed like a deer in uhh ... headlights.

I still think the answer is having an ominous, fear inducing honking coming from the woods at midnight.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Major-General Desmond de Vere Barrington, GCVO, DSO and Bar. General Officer Commanding 3rd Cavalry Division, British Expeditionary Force.

If we try to defend everything, we defend nothing. My plan is to focus on holding the Foret Def Effyaders. It is strong ground and it allows us to control two of the three major crossings. If we sight sizable enemy forces trying to cross the M1 or the M4, we will know the Germans are centering their efforts in the north. If we see nothing, we'll know they are probably in the south. 7th Division can act accordingly.

I'm not going to lose more men for a pointless southern tripwire force. We can't afford more losses.

We will hold the Foret De Effyaders as long as possible. The Belgians may flood the area north of us. I will send runners north to alert us when this happens. If the Belgians flood us, we will assault the Bois de Blob and hold this high ground as long as possible.

6 CAV DIVISION HQ -- move to the roadside just south of the "F" in "Foret" in Effyaders -- dig in and hook up to the telephone wires -- before we leave, I want to send this message by telephone to corps HQ.

If the area is flooded, then retreat to the Bois de Blob.

Barrington posted:

Pater Loel,

Have lost control of Stethoscope and the Chemins. Have engaged German Cavalry Division and inflicted 2/3rd losses on them. Have lost 3/4th of Armoured Cars and all 6th Cavalry Brigade. Brigadier xthetenth MIA.

Am holding Foret De Effyaders with 7th Cavalry Brigade and remaining Armoured Cars. Will attempt to hold until 7th Infantry Division arrives.

In event of flooding, will evacuate all forces to Bois de Blob area.

Please call Sir John French and see if there are any available units in the area that can help us.. We need more men as soon as possible. 6th Cavalry Division is at 1/3rd effective strength. 7th Infantry Division arriving at dawn will be helpful. But we have already engaged a full German cavalry division and we expect at least one German infantry division will be arriving in the night.

-Barry

Sixkiller, keep your ACs where they are. In the event of a flood, try to get to the Bois de Blob area as fast as possible.

my dad, hold position and dig, dig dig.

Send French-speaking men on fresh horses north and find the sluice gates in the dikes. If the Belgians want to flood the gates -- get your runners to persuade the Belgians to delay the flooding for an hour or two -- enough time for the runners to alert 6th Cavalry Division and for us to get clear of the flooded area.

If the area is flooded, then assault the Bois de Blob and hold it until further orders..

Hunt 11. I want your best engineering estimate of what areas will be flooded if the Belgians open the sluicegates and flood the poulders. I especially want to know if Effyaders will be flooded.

I want wire on the northern fords and I want fire covering the front and flanks of 7th Cavalry Brigade and the Armoured Cars. I want enough wire to stop them from making an effective night charge on us.

If you still have time, then I want you to dig extra trenches on the southern edge of the Foret de Effyaders for our men later to occupy.

STAFF -- if worst comes to worst, we need a Belgian infantry brigade commander and a French Fusilier Marins (marine infantry) commander ready to command these units if these extra reinforcements have to be deployed.

Here are :siren: Emergency orders :siren: for these units if they must be deployed. If anyone wants to take over and issue additional orders, go ahead.

1er Brigade d'Infanterie de Belgique--Move into Frere Droit. If you can move there without taking fire, then move to Frere Bouche and dig in there. Hold until relieved.

1er Brigade de Fusiliers Marins--disembark from your boats and enter the nearest village on the eastern bank. Billy bonus your MGs in town and dig in your men around the outskirts. Prevent German forces from crossing the bridges your can cover with your fire. Hold until relieved.

Belgian infantry will enter the map in the region of Trois Freres if: the enemy enters Saucisson Vallee or the Foret d'Effyaders on Day 1; or the enemy crosses the western north-south road on a subsequent day.

A brigade of French marines will enter the map amphibiously down the Effyaders Canal if the enemy crosses the canal or seems likely to do so.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 19, 2017

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Now that my internet is restored and I've caught up with the thread, I'm available to take command of a brigade as needed.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Wait, are things so dire that flooding is in the cards? They have at most one intact brigade stumbling around in the dark, like us.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

sullat posted:

Wait, are things so dire that flooding is in the cards? They have at most one intact brigade stumbling around in the dark, like us.

The belgians are strong believers in community swimming programs

Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary

If the Belgians do not flood us, just stay in current position.

{Conditional: if the Belgians flood us, drive to these positions near the Bois de Blob; the headlights are to be turned on}.

Fight at them.
Gun 'em down.
Do not pursue.
Last car is dead.

(Ignore the ACs not on the road).

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

sullat posted:

I don't think it's likely to happen.

So don't take the talk of floods as a sign of panic on my part. We're in a bit of sticky wicket, to be sure, but I think our situation for the next few hours is quite tenable, provided we choose our goals wisely.

However, Belgian civilian authorities may panic. They may sight real (or imagined) large formations of Germans headed our way. The Germans may flank us from the south and break for Effyaders, causing the Belgians to turn to Plan Z. So flooding is a possibility.

And given that all of 6th Cavalry Division will be in the path of any potential flooding and that we will have a very long turn coming up with no time to react to any floods, I'd like to have a contingency plan so we don't get washed away.

Sixkiller posted:

If the Belgians do not flood us, just stay in current position.

{Conditional: if the Belgians flood us, drive to these positions near the Bois de Blob; the headlights are to be turned on}.

Fight at them.
Gun 'em down.
Do not pursue.
Last car is dead.

(Ignore the ACs not on the road).

Do NOT have your bloody headlights on unless poo poo hits the fan and we have to move out of the way of a flood.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 20, 2017

Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary

Bacarruda posted:

Do NOT have your bloody headlights on unless poo poo hits the fan and we have to move out of the way of a flood.

But that is the plan where we get flooded, and have to get out of the way.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

quote:

Please call Sir John French and see if there are any available units in the area that can help us.. We need more men as soon as possible. 6th Cavalry Division is at 1/3rd effective strength. 7th Infantry Division arriving at dawn will be helpful. But we have already engaged a full German cavalry division and we expect at least one German infantry division will be arriving in the night.

Trin, can we grab the Belgians and French marines early? Or are there any other units we might expect?

Also, can we assume that we'll have some warning about flooding time/location? I dont want to move engineers away from digging if I don't have to.

Loel fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 19, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Loel posted:

Trin, can we grab the Belgians and French marines early? Or are there any other units we might expect?

No.

quote:

Also, can we assume that we'll have some warning about flooding time/location? I dont want to move engineers away from digging if I don't have to.

You are quite correct. Think of it like an Act of God and don't rely on it.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Alrighty. Bacarruda, plan accordingly.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

My mind has slipped so easily into that of an artilleryman, I just saw this thread and thought "I'll post again when the cavalry stop cocking about".

Our guns are presumably dawdling their way up to arrive tomorrow. Deployment orders to come. Timetables based currently on two hypothetical German plans:

A) Southern path. If I were them, that's where I'd be going. The forest to the north provides too many opportunities for line of sight shenanigans and the middle is too obvious. They can anchor their line against the board edge and drive forward, so our blind barrages will concentrate on denying the road at key points should we spot them moving south.

B) Middle Path. I'm increasingly thinking this is unlikely - but since we're aiming for a line across the middle our guns will aim to hit everywhere we don't have LOS to. Less fun, but probably more bloody.

Loel do I have any on map assets or am I ordering everyone with guns around in an imperious, swagger stick using manner?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Infantry Engineer 1: Once the two trenches are set up head into Bois de Forest and set up a trench at the edge of the forest running parallel to the road, after that head to the point indicated on the map and begin setting up barbed wire across the southern most road.

Infantry Engineer 2: Create a second trench a bit closer to the river and then head to Saucisson Vallee and set up bared wire as indicated on the map.

Mounted Engineer 1: Once the barbed wire is up create a trench directly behind the barbed wire and make sure that it destroys that section of the road. Once that is done then do the exact same at the back section of the road in Foret De Effyaders

Mounted Engineer 2: Once the barbed wire is up head into Saucisson Vallee and begin setting up trenches as indicated on the map.

Emergency orders:

Enemy enter within sighting range of the chit whilst work is being done.
If one turn left to complete the work: Then finish work and retreat to the road running north through Saucisson Vallee and start creating trenches along the road.
If longer to finish work then head straight to Saucisson Vallee and begin work.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: The adjudication begins...

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9We2XsVZfc

Turn 25: 2000
Night falls
German initiative

With everyone on "stand fast" orders, there is nothing to report. The men settle down to the equally-important tasks of standing sentry duty and making tea.

Turn 26: 2030
German initiative

The kettle boils.

Turn 27: 2100
German initiative

Trooper Atkins apparently forgot to put the sugar in, and gets shouted at by his corporal.

Turn 28: 2130
British initiative

One of your engineers has finished its work.

Pater Meus's digging is also complete.

Turn 29: 2200
German initiative

Trooper Atkins makes more tea.

Turn 30: 2230
British initiative

He delivers it, dodging the corporal.

Turn 31: 2300
British initiative

More digging occurs.

More digging has occurred!

Turn 32: 2330
British initiative

Rations arrive from the rear.

START OF DAY 2
Turn 33: 0000
British initiative

One man breaks his tooth on an army biscuit and has to be taken back to the aid post.

Turn 34: Day 2, 0030
German initiative

Gentle cartoon snoring rises from inside the Foret de Effyaders.

Turn 35: 0100
German initiative

Some idiot observes that the situation is "quiet, too quiet".

Turn 36: 0130
German initiative

Someone else throws a boot at him.

Turn 37: 0200
British initiative

Your southern foot engineer is done with his work, and strikes out into the Bois de Blob.

Turn 38: 0230
British initiative

The engineer has, erm, got a little bit lost.

That's not good.

That's really not good. And the kicker is, you wouldn't have known about it if not for the northern engineer, which by the very narrowest of margins had LOS to see the enemy opening fire.

n.b. there should be another cav company visible immediately on its right inside the trench, it got turned off by accident.

Turn 39: 0300
British initiative

A runner slogs across country (abstracted, of course) to find Pater Meus and alert him to the danger.

Turn 40: 0330
German initiative

More trenches!

Turn 41: 0400
German initiative

Good news: forums poster my dad is now about to lead cavalry across the map without knowing what he might find when he arrives.

That's never ended badly before.

Turn 42: 0430
British initiative

Pater Meus attempts to concentrate his men.

Turn 43: 0500
British initiative

Pater Meus succeeds, and they prepare to ride out.

Turn 44: 0530
German initiative

The 7th Brigade rides...somewhere...

Turn 45: 0600
German initiative

Pater Meus seems to lack the map-reading skills of his French cousin.

Turn 46: 0630
German initiative

The 7th Brigade finds its sense of direction.

Dawn
Turn 47: 0700
British initiative

Pater Meus adopts the position that was assigned to him, and waits, grimly, for battle. At least he'll be ready for it when it comes.

Turn 48: 0730
German initiative

But nobody came...

It is now 0800. Your surviving engineers gain 3" of barbed wire.

The sun has now fully risen and true daylight begins. Overview:

During the next update, you will introduce two infantry brigades on Turn 49. One more will arrive in the following update. The next infantry division to enter the field will begin to arrive from 2000 so that it can move up under cover of darkness. You may spend a fatigue point to have it arrive at 1600 instead; all brigades of that division will be eligible to gain fatigue points immediately they arrive. You also have one more spotter plane.

The soft deadline is 5pm Wednesday 22 March, although I am open to appeals for an extension of a day or two if you think you might need it.

Reinforcement map, exact brigade composition, and artillery details to follow.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 21, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Greeeeeat, I didn't even notice the conditional in the emergency orders last round. I thought it was just a "move over there"

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Volunteering for a brigade command in the next infantry division arriving this evening...hopefully there will still be something left to defend by then.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

my dad posted:

Greeeeeat, I didn't even notice the conditional in the emergency orders last round. I thought it was just a "move over there"

Yeah, that would have made a good amount of sense if we'd had decent vision there or units but we should've gotten rid of it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Looks like everybody under my command is at their most useful when being shot at by the enemy.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

So of the two brigades arriving at 0800, it seems like we need a) one to help mydad find and evict our unwanted house guests around Bois de Blob and b) the other to hightail it up to the unoccupied trenchline in Effyaders before the Germans sneak across the fords.

edit - it also sounds like we need some additional commanders for the reinforcements arriving in the evening...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
My suggestion would be to move my cav to the center trenchline, while leaving the south for the infantry to take. The enemy will take forever to get through the North, and we have the ACs on the road there.

• Locked thread