Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
RBX
Jan 2, 2011

They should wish Pikkon back. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

So It Goes posted:

I know the idea is "universal balance" or whatever, but the show really glosses over how hosed up it is for a god's sole purpose to be killing/murdering entire civilizations of sentient beings. Beerus is treated fairly comical but it's a pretty messed up job he holds. Like, Zeno threats to erase universes and the show recognizes that as bad, but Beerus does the same thing on a smaller scale.

Beerus also sucks at his job.

Zzulu posted:

who says its bad

the gods clearly think it's ok

Nah, if they thought it was okay the way Beerus goes about it then U7's mortal level would be higher. He offs worlds for slights and for failing to live up to his culinary standards instead of preventing civilization destroying tyrants and god killing monsters from running amok.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

So It Goes posted:

I know the idea is "universal balance" or whatever, but the show really glosses over how hosed up it is for a god's sole purpose to be killing/murdering entire civilizations of sentient beings. Beerus is treated fairly comical but it's a pretty messed up job he holds. Like, Zeno threats to erase universes and the show recognizes that as bad, but Beerus does the same thing on a smaller scale.

In theory, if the universes and life itself is to be managed correctly, a God of Destruction doesn't have to be reckless, lazy or a bad guy. They can just go in and destroy dead worlds that life cannot use or have outlived themselves, as inevitable and as free of malice as a sun going super nova. This lets the Kais go to work cultivating and growing new life to replace what has passed to make sure Life doesn't grow too out of balance like cancer. If both the GoD and the Supreme Kai do their respective jobs and have an actual functioning relationship between themselves and the greater spiritual bureaucracy of the lesser kais and their respected world of the spirits, its just a position that's just the transference of matter and life in a cute little dragon ball kind of ecosystem. If the Gods actually care to do their job right.

However, Beerus is a petty, cruel and lazy GoD that destroys without the purpose that his role needs him to maintain and thus part of the reason why 7 is a shitshow as far as Zeno is concerned (possibly). The other side of this is Shin, the last of the Supreme Kais of 7, a moron that probably doesn't even know how to tie his shoes in a godly manner if you believe Elder Kai is any better when he was in charge and not just as useless, who's management style is to dread Beerus and to sit in the background and let life sort itself out, likely because he doesn't actually know how to do anything. The scary thing about 7 isn't just that there is a God of Destroying, but that the supreme gods in charge of their universe are incompetent.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 19, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Give Shin a break. The guy had everyone who was supposed to teach him this poo poo die, his mentors are a guy who knows about as much as he does and an incompetent pervert. The poor guy has done the best he can with terrible situations.

Shibby0709
Oct 30, 2011

one fat looking fat guy
Am I the only one who thinks that Goku knows something that the audience doesn't know? I think his blasé attitude about the death and destruction of trillions may be because his good friend(s) Zeno let him in on a little secret or two.

Gohan's enjoyment of the situation is because he's evil.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

TFRazorsaw posted:

Give Shin a break. The guy had everyone who was supposed to teach him this poo poo die, his mentors are a guy who knows about as much as he does and an incompetent pervert. The poor guy has done the best he can with terrible situations.

I don't give slack to Gods. You have eons to learn as you go and you do - what exactly? poo poo, didn't Elder Kai prove that they can die and get halos or that there were previous generations of Supreme Kais before Shin? Can't he just go talk to the dead ones to guide him?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

If Goku isn't super chill about this because he's secretly been evil the whole time, guys, it's probably because he expects to use the Super Dragon Balls to cheat their deaths somehow.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Crabtree posted:

I don't give slack to Gods. You have eons to learn as you go and you do - what exactly? poo poo, didn't Elder Kai prove that they can die and get halos or that there were previous generations of Supreme Kais before Shin? Can't he just go talk to the dead ones to guide him?

I'm pretty sure Buu either absorbed or ate them. He did one at least.

No coming back from the Buu Abyss.

The Buubyss.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shibby0709 posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that Goku knows something that the audience doesn't know? I think his blasé attitude about the death and destruction of trillions may be because his good friend(s) Zeno let him in on a little secret or two.

Gohan's enjoyment of the situation is because he's evil.

He's acting a LOT like he did before the Cell Games.

There he knew that it didn't matter what Cell was up to or that he wasn't up to snuff- Gohan had this.

Here I guess he really actually is relying on Gohan again. loving Christ

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm pretty sure Buu either absorbed or ate them. He did one at least.

No coming back from the Buu Abyss.

The Buubyss.

No, I mean the ones that preceded Elder Kai or served in his time. Do their souls or whatever just disappear or can he talk to them if he checks up on Supreme King Yama or searches around Other World?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There's never been any indication those exist, have there?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

this whole tournament is a ploy on goku's part to finally make gohan like fighting dudes

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

TFRazorsaw posted:

There's never been any indication those exist, have there?

Well then how are there elder supreme kais if they don't eventually age and die and get replaced by the next generation of Kais besides the whole fusion with a witch bit? Am I just getting lost in mixed translations and half remembering things?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

aegof posted:

If Goku isn't super chill about this because he's secretly been evil the whole time, guys, it's probably because he expects to use the Super Dragon Balls to cheat their deaths somehow.

Maybe he's got some new God-killing transformation and he wants to test it out by pissing off literally everybody

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Toppo will crush evil with his beer gut of Justice.

RBX posted:

Was he just written out of the show? What happened to him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHeyZmeji0o&t=107s
lol, everybody dunks on King Cold.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 19, 2017

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Crabtree posted:

No, I mean the ones that preceded Elder Kai or served in his time. Do their souls or whatever just disappear or can he talk to them if he checks up on Supreme King Yama or searches around Other World?

As we have seen from Gowasu, old Kais become senile and give terrible advice.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Elder Kai is only old because he merged with a witch.

I'm not saying that it isn't possible, I'm saying I'm not necessarily sure an entire generation of these guys have died and been replaced. They live a very long time.

There can be younger and older ones but it's unclear if they're born from that spirit tree thing at different times and simply join the ones already alive. We know from supplementary materials there's a whole race of these beings who don't necessarily become gods.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jedah posted:

Toppo will crush evil with his beer gut of Justice.

Was he just written out of the show? What happened to him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHeyZmeji0o&t=107s

he was from a filler arc and not in the manga at all iirc

same with grand kai

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Rutibex posted:

As we have seen from Gowasu, old Kais become senile and give terrible advice.

Probably, but they're there. And now in Super, if this whole tournament thing didn't start, he could have just asked other universes. They probably wouldn't have helped but it is an option in hindsight.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Elder Kai is only old because he merged with a witch.

I'm not saying that it isn't possible, I'm saying I'm not necessarily sure an entire generation of these guys have died and been replaced. They live a very long time.

There can be younger and older ones but it's unclear if they're born from that spirit tree thing at different times and simply join the ones already alive. We know from supplementary materials there's a whole race of these beings who don't necessarily become gods.

Yeah, but I also thought that he had like only a millinea left to live when he transferred his life to Goku and woke up with a halo so Goku could go to fight Buu. That even they die and get replaced but that death isn't such a serious thing to them outside of being devoured by Buu. Or was that just anime fluff?

But now that I think about it, could Shin just ask lesser kais or his race for help too? If he's ignorant of the rules, who cares if he tries to seek real assistance? He doesn't know protocol to care.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

RBX posted:

Pikkon is such bullshit. If the Supreme kai had to die just to prevent buu from being awoken why not just tap the guy who fought goku to a standstill to do your drat dirty work?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Crabtree posted:

But now that I think about it, could Shin just ask lesser kais or his race for help too? If he's ignorant of the rules, who cares if he tries to seek real assistance? He doesn't know protocol to care.

He literally didn't know that one of the four gods overseeing a quadrant of his universe had gotten exploded. Or if he did he didn't care to check up on the details.

Shin is just bad at his job, rookie or not.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Shin should get better at fighting. Look at how good Zamasu got. He must know how to fight since he was able to place in the world tournament.

Speaking of which, watching the Kai episodes on Toonami, and I forgot how goofy he looks when he first shows up.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Pikkon is from an anime filler arc between Buu and Cell

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Pureauthor posted:

He literally didn't know that one of the four gods overseeing a quadrant of his universe had gotten exploded. Or if he did he didn't care to check up on the details.

Shin is just bad at his job, rookie or not.

So we're right back to my point that shin just milks his ignorance as an excuse to be lazy. :colbert:

Rirse posted:

Shin should get better at fighting. Look at how good Zamasu got. He must know how to fight since he was able to place in the world tournament.

Speaking of which, watching the Kai episodes on Toonami, and I forgot how goofy he looks when he first shows up.

You'd think with the whole near death experience of Buu that he'd actually try to seek strength.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I thought Pikkon was part of the buu saga

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Matoi Ryuko posted:

He was part of the filler afterlife tournament. The Kai airing completely skipped over that entire arc.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Rirse posted:

He was part of the filler afterlife tournament. The Kai airing completely skipped over that entire arc.

I must have last watched that arc when it premiered on toonami. That's a long time ago...:sweatdrop:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I remember now. That was when the other kais showed up

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I think pikkon and the other filler arc afterlife mobs were in the filler afterlife stuff during the buu saga, right before buu comes along and threatens to double kill them

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Pikkon and co have also been dead for like thousands of years(if not longer), right? so wishing them back is probably outside of shenron's wheelhouse

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
They would do better to wish their tails back. Then they could multiply their power by 10x.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Oh yeah Pikkon and the swole Hercules guy and some others do show up when Kid Buu is there before Vegeta and Goku attract his attention, that slipped my mind entirely!

Featuring the only appropriate filler no-sell of the Destructo Disc

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

They should make Mirai Trunks the Supreme Kai. That would solve a lot of problems. That's a guy who gets things done.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Rutibex posted:

They would do better to wish their tails back. Then they could multiply their power by 10x.

Oozar-blue?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Well they'd just go SSJ4.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Rirse posted:

The end of the Cell arc actually showed a very brief montage of that tournament, which was pretty cool of them to include at all.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Manatee Cannon posted:

this whole tournament is a ploy on goku's part to finally make gohan like fighting dudes

This would be peak Goku

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Goku probably had a conversation with Zen'O along the lines of

"Yo, I can show you really rad fights, but you have to threaten the other Universes with being erased to make sure they'll go all out against me"

I'd love it if this backfires and Zen'O decides to really erase the Universe and now Goku has to fight them

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

why didnt goku go super saiyan blue right off the bat

he knew old guy was stronger than fox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Goku vastly prefers even fights over one-sided destruction, so he always picks the form that puts him on equal standing with his opponent and adjusts from there.

• Locked thread