Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Benne posted:

They should really just go back to 1 hour. This year's show was a massive improvement, but still too long at 90 minutes. While I'm happy they released the bracket early, I bet a lot of people tuned out afterwards, because the final hour was basically dead air.

E: Also there's no reason to use the NBA TNT crew. Literally nobody cares about Barkley's college basketball opinions. Just stick to the guys who actually watch the sport year-round.

Here's the issue: Turner Sports doesn't do regular season college basketball. The four major networks' sports divisions all have contracts to basketball's power 7 conferences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Here's the issue: Turner Sports doesn't do regular season college basketball. The four major networks' sports divisions all have contracts to basketball's power 7 conferences.

I'm really mixed on this deal.

CBS has in the past, and even during moments of the present done a good job covering CBB. The ability for them and for me to finally watch these guys at the same time is a welcome and great change from the early 2000's.

I'm not so sure the alternatives would be better. Fox Sports and their gang would probably be forcing Cowherd, Bayless, etc on us. ESPN? Yeah.... A bit gun shy about them in their current state.

BTW, Anyone remember that time during 2003 where ESPN had to carry first round games because of the lead up of the Iraq war? Was weird seeing the "CBS" eyeball on the channel where ESPN normally was. I don't know if this was just a thing where they aired the games on ESPN proper or not.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

ESPN would probably be fine. They're used to airing three consecutive CBB games during the regular season. Tuesdays usually have games on ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU. Them adding ABC for the 4th channel would be no problem.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
CBS is not going to give up March Madness without a fight, and that fight is probably too big for ESPN.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Grittybeard posted:

Tank Abbot announced a few UFC fights (or maybe more than a few, I have no clue) years ago. I remember his commentary seemed to be some version of 'yeah that's pretty good, I would have done [x] and beaten him though.' Or 'that was nice, would never have worked against me.'

I'm sad that the Abbott/Severn fight never happened last year

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

March Madness on ESPN means Dan Dakich and Dick Vitale so no thanks

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Before the Turner channel co-op but during MMOD streaming I really liked CBS' coverage.
Even before streaming and MMOD I was fond of the fly-ins and split screens.
It was more exciting and up front and constant.

During those times I would always say, "Meanwhile..." as a laugher of a game flipped back and forth between a tighter match-up.

There was a time after analog television sunset when O&O CBS stations utilized digital subchannels to broadcast simultaneously and CBS was one of the last nets to even allow subchannels but they did so during the March Madness tourney.

That's not to say the Turner partnership isn't a Godsend. It just take a little bit of the whip-around coverage away because each channel is devoted to one particular game.

CBS was doing RedZone-ish coverage for years before even the NFL had thought of it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Even rain didn't usually get us out of P.E, but during March Madness both in high school and middle school, we would go into a room with a cart TV with the tournament on. And it wasn't like the teachers were using it as an excuse to watch it, for the most they would leave us, children, alone in a room where we could've got up to some major poo poo , but we just watched the game. I only had one teacher who ever stayed in and watched with us, the guy who was also the boy's basketball coach. I thought it was because he was a hardass who didn't trust us, but he got pretty drat rowdy watching the game, way inappropriate, the only time he seemed like a human being to me (he was even pretty robotic as a coach). Everyone would go nuts for the cutaways, either excited about the switch or pissed the team they wanted to see just got cut. And I didn't watch college basketball at the time so my entire experience with the tournament was that hour a day.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

sportsgenius86 posted:

March Madness on ESPN means Dan Dakich and Dick Vitale so no thanks

Better than Reggie Miller.

ESPN would do fine with it, and it's the kind of thing they'd still be willing to actually spend a bunch of money on.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

give us gus back for the tournament

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

turns out espn came close the last time rights were up for grabs

http://awfulannouncing.com/cbs/looking-back-ncaa-cbsturner-partnership-began.html

R.D. Mangles posted:

give us gus back for the tournament

since fox loans raftery they could certainly loan gus

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

turns out espn came close the last time rights were up for grabs

http://awfulannouncing.com/cbs/looking-back-ncaa-cbsturner-partnership-began.html

since fox loans raftery they could certainly loan gus

I fully expect that when Vitale retires, he'll get loaned to call a Final Four on TV, since I think it's the one thing he hasn't done. Call it a favor returned for Sager working the Finals game.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

C. Everett Koop posted:

I fully expect that when Vitale retires, he'll get loaned to call a Final Four on TV, since I think it's the one thing he hasn't done. Call it a favor returned for Sager working the Finals game.

what kind of maniac wants that

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

R.D. Mangles posted:

Duke fans.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

I kinda like him

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MourningView posted:

I kinda like him

He's a part of Sports Broadcasting lore. Same vain that a guy like Cossell, Madden is. Love him or hate him, he's in that mold. (and those guys at the time? We're not beloved by all sports fans.)

Oddly enough I've met two people who've ran into him in real life and he was a very pleasant, nice guy. (same with Cossell I've heard.)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FuzzySkinner posted:

He's a part of Sports Broadcasting lore. Same vain that a guy like Cossell, Madden is. Love him or hate him, he's in that mold. (and those guys at the time? We're not beloved by all sports fans.)

Madden was a lot better before the end, at some point the networks drilled it into his head that he needed to dumb things down and he went overboard (probably gave them exactly what they wanted judging by Phil Simms).

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
This made me look up John Madden and wow, he really disappeared since retiring. Which is, I guess, the point but I hope his legacy is more than just the video games that he hasn't had anything to do with in decades. If you ever see his old books around, they're great reads.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Meanwhile, down in Florida:

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/watch-a-424-million-military-satellite-launch-over-the-1793410864

The long and short of it: there was a launch during the 12 hours of Sebring, and the lead commentator on Fox happened also be a space nerd, did his research, and was able to properly commentate on it.

It ruled.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

FuzzySkinner posted:

Oddly enough I've met two people who've ran into him in real life and he was a very pleasant, nice guy. (same with Cossell I've heard.)

I've met him before and I can confirm that he's a really pleasant guy. He's a lot more toned down in person, but he still exudes the same joy which is pretty cool.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, the announcer for the NCAA women's hockey championship game has done 6 games in 4 days, including two of them that have gone to double OT. :stare:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

iospace posted:

So, the announcer for the NCAA women's hockey championship game has done 6 games in 4 days, including two of them that have gone to double OT. :stare:

The guys who do the regional sites of the basketball tournaments here do 6 games in 3 days. Any kind of tournament that's done all at once location is a gauntlet early on.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

C. Everett Koop posted:

The guys who do the regional sites of the basketball tournaments here do 6 games in 3 days. Any kind of tournament that's done all at once location is a gauntlet early on.

Well, the first five games were all on the same site (Detroit), last game is in Missouri. He did do close to 6 games in 3 if you count the OTs.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

iospace posted:

Meanwhile, down in Florida:

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/watch-a-424-million-military-satellite-launch-over-the-1793410864

The long and short of it: there was a launch during the 12 hours of Sebring, and the lead commentator on Fox happened also be a space nerd, did his research, and was able to properly commentate on it.

It ruled.

This is pretty great

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
According to the Wall Street Journal, Disney is de-emphasizing ESPN Classic and ESPNews in their contract negotiations.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

Madden was a lot better before the end, at some point the networks drilled it into his head that he needed to dumb things down and he went overboard (probably gave them exactly what they wanted judging by Phil Simms).

As much as I loathe listening to him now, the same thing is true of Vitale, too. Probably even more so. If you ever catch an ESPN Classic replay of a game he called 30 years ago, the difference is astounding. He still had his catchphrases but before he was a self-caricature he was actually pretty good.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I thought ESPN Classic was eliminated years ago

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I feel like YouTube would have killed espn classic by now. I liked ESPNews when I wanted sports news that wasn't hot takes.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Henchman of Santa posted:

I thought ESPN Classic was eliminated years ago

Nope! It's operational until ESPN gets their own on-demand channel where you can watch 30 for 30s or whatever.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
ESPNEWS finest hour was the Malice at the Palace, I left it on loop for hours that night

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Jim Ross' wife got hit by a car last night when she was on a Vespa and is in really bad shape.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

The internet killed ESPNNews, too bad it's only useful for overflow coverage now. Surprised ESPN Classic wasn't killed yet.

Meanwhile, out-of-home viewing is unsurprisingly helping ESPN

http://adage.com/article/media/espn-top-10-out-home-tv-ratings-nielsen/308374/

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

exploded mummy posted:

Jim Ross' wife got hit by a car last night when she was on a Vespa and is in really bad shape.

Maybe if she was in better shape she would have shrugged off the hit. Best to pray.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

exploded mummy posted:

Vince McMahon was in a car accident as well. :ohdear:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Pvt. Public posted:

Vince McMahon was in a car accident as well. :ohdear:

:confused:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

oh man :smith:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Rick posted:

Even rain didn't usually get us out of P.E, but during March Madness both in high school and middle school, we would go into a room with a cart TV with the tournament on. And it wasn't like the teachers were using it as an excuse to watch it, for the most they would leave us, children, alone in a room where we could've got up to some major poo poo , but we just watched the game. I only had one teacher who ever stayed in and watched with us, the guy who was also the boy's basketball coach. I thought it was because he was a hardass who didn't trust us, but he got pretty drat rowdy watching the game, way inappropriate, the only time he seemed like a human being to me (he was even pretty robotic as a coach). Everyone would go nuts for the cutaways, either excited about the switch or pissed the team they wanted to see just got cut. And I didn't watch college basketball at the time so my entire experience with the tournament was that hour a day.

They used to have a big projector set up in the cafeteria during march madness so kids could catch the games during lunch. Ahh growing up in Indiana.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

all-Rush mixtape posted:

According to the Wall Street Journal, Disney is de-emphasizing ESPN Classic and ESPNews in their contract negotiations.

I have broadcasts of several old Indy 500s broadcasted on ESPN Classic saved on the DVR.

Was kinda fun back in the day you'd get all geared up for that particular event via them showing marathons related to it leading into the race.

It was a very cool channel, but it feels like with the creation of NBA TV, NFL Network, MLB Network, NHL Network, BTN, SEC Network and MOST IMPORANTLY? Youtube has kinda deemed it irrelevant.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I remember when it was non-ESPN affiliated Classic Sports Network and showed roller derby and 1950s rasslin.

Can't tell you the last time I watched ESPN Classic though as it just seems to be a dumping ground for all the best of specials they used to run, especially the terrible "you can't blame" series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I remember when it was non-ESPN affiliated Classic Sports Network and showed roller derby and 1950s rasslin.

Can't tell you the last time I watched ESPN Classic though as it just seems to be a dumping ground for all the best of specials they used to run, especially the terrible "you can't blame" series.

"You can't blame..." isn't awful depending on the episode.

The one on Art Modell and the Browns for example is one of the more better done specials I've seen done on the subject. The "WHO'S NUMBER 1" eps are awful though.