Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

ijyt posted:

I think the two you might have luck with are 71.033 Yellow Ochre or 72.707 Gold Yellow.

I'll give Yellow Ochre a try. I've got Gold Yellow and it's way too bright a yellow to be a match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Slimnoid posted:

I'll give Yellow Ochre a try. I've got Gold Yellow and it's way too bright a yellow to be a match.

Compare it to the normal VMC version too, I've found some VMA stuff can be lighter - though I think yellow ochre might be a bit more muted than Averland.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

ijyt posted:

Compare it to the normal VMC version too, I've found some VMA stuff can be lighter - though I think yellow ochre might be a bit more muted than Averland.

That's been my experience as well. So long as it's reasonably close enough to the color I want I'm usually fine with it, so if it's a bit more muted then I'll deal. It's going to be for a KoW dwarf army so I'm more concerned with getting a similarly-colored base coat down than getting 100% accuracy.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
These took way too long

and yes drill your barrels, but I need to get a pin vice for it some time when I have the opportunity

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

As a more general question, how do you guys handle bulk painting logistically? I've just bought a rather large starter set and am looking to paint 8-16 dudes at a time: I gather a fresh wet palette and a fairly large brush for basecoating and washing?

I'm working on a big bulk army right now of 60 infantry. I've found a really good way to do it using 10 rows of 6 mans each, which allows me to do one or two rows of a "part" (think pants, jackets, etc) at a time. I can also vary the color a bit between doing the same kind of item (mess tin color, for example), giving some diversity to the whole army without straying too far from the uniform.

Here's a pic:

The furthest rows back were the first ones and are the most painted, while the rows toward the front have the least amount of work done on them. This also keeps me sane because I can jump around to different parts without getting bogged down doing 60 jackets and then 60 pants and then 60 guns and on and on and on.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Ayn Marx posted:

Before I start batch painting, left awuuu or right awuuuu? awwuu

Left awuuu, I think.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Working on this guy and decided to give a shot at warpflame using what I've read about painting fire and it didn't come out The Best.

Any tips on cleaning that up or is it a wash?

I wanted yellow in that transition but I think I needed a much more pale one than what I used.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 19, 2017

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

mango sentinel posted:

Working on this guy and decided to give a shot at warpflame using what I've read about painting fire and it didn't come out The Best.

I wanted yellow in that transition but I think I needed a much more pale one than what I used.

It's totally fixable, just blend more yellow into it - at the moment it goes yellow -> sightly lighter green -> green, and it's too stark. There should be more transition betwen the yellow and the green. I'd extend that lighter green you have now further up the flame, then try to blend the yellow into it.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It's totally fixable, just blend more yellow into it - at the moment it goes yellow -> sightly lighter green -> green, and it's too stark. There should be more transition betwen the yellow and the green. I'd extend that lighter green you have now further up the flame, then try to blend the yellow into it.

Disclaimer: I am an amature at best who just started painting recently.
:pseudo:

But to add to this, I would do exactly that, only add a darker green in the recesses like a wash, then dry brush the yellow in light layers over the raised parts.

Work the yellow horizontally back and forth with a flicking motion, then slowly pull the effect up the flames being careful to just barely hit the outermost edges of the flames really lightly.

If you're feeling ballsy, do the same dry brushing on the really light part at the bottom of the flames into the yellow, with even less paint/motion, and distance into the yellow.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 19, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Disclaimer: I am an amature at best who just started painting recently.
:pseudo:

But to add to this, I would do exactly that, only add a darker green in the recesses like a wash, then dry brush the yellow in light layers over the raised parts.

Work the yellow horizontally back and forth with a flicking motion, then slowly pull the effect up the flames being careful to just barely hit the outermost edges of the flames really lightly.

If you're feeling ballsy, do the same dry brushing on the really light part at the bottom of the flames into the yellow, with even less paint/motion, and distance into the yellow.
You don't highlight fire because it's a light source. Recess are brighter than edges. I could do a pass and "highlight" with the darker color but I'm just working on the transition for now.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Oh! I was totally unaware. I'd like to see a good video on painting fire, because I would have done exactly that, but I play Tau and I don't have any opportunities to paint fire or cloth. :(

Thanks for the info! At least now I know what not to do :haw:

What about doing it in reverse by pulling the darker green down into the yellow like this:

I kinda wanna see how to achieve brightness in fire like this now too, also what you end up doing with that piece.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 19, 2017

grumbster
Apr 19, 2004
Lord of the Fjord

Slimnoid posted:

Is there a Model Air/Game Air equivalent to GW's Averland Sunset? I'm in need of an airbrush paint in that particular color, and I'm not exactly thrilled with the idea of having an airbrush paint in a flip-top bottle that I'll then have to transfer into a dropper bottle.

VGC Heavy Goldbrown or VMC Goldbrown, according to the dakkadakka.com paint compatability chart.

I never tried that color myself, so I can't confirm. However, they recently updated this list, and removed a bunch of blatantly incorrect conversions, so it might be worth a shot.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

You don't highlight fire because it's a light source. Recess are brighter than edges. I could do a pass and "highlight" with the darker color but I'm just working on the transition for now.

While this is technically true, if you draw the darker reds down to surround the sculpted flames they look more like individual tongues of flame than a undifferentiated mass. You can see it in the warp fire above.

Edit; I'm pretty bad at painting fire tbh, but here's a crappy picture of how I did it.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 19, 2017

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

mango sentinel posted:

A paler yellow would definitely work well here, but there are some paints that seem tailor-made for this kind of effect. Vallejo Game Air, for instance, makes Livery Green (72.733), which is a great tennis-ball fluorescent green. Hit that near the tips with blends of progressively darker greens and you should get closer to the effect I think you're going for.

If you're looking for a simpler method, though, St. Duncan covered this kind of fire recently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP5oxRzcYv8

e.: Gravitas, I keep forgetting to compliment you on your Rapture minis. They're Objectivism-riffic! holy crap how am i still awake

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 19, 2017

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm not sure how many people are interested in historicals in this thread so I've primarily kept my posting there - but I am really happy with these:

Southern Heel posted:

Woo! Completed and I managed not to sperg too much over the details:

They remind me of WHFB in the best kind of way - toothless criminals rubbing shoulders with shopkeepers in hastily formed bands, whose allegiance was simply down to which army arrived in their town first. The first real reintegration of a classical strategy and tactics into warfare, the rise of gunpowder and demise of knights* all in a single period.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_lobsters Yes, the London LOBSTERS.

EDIT: now in the right thread, I hope. :)

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

signalnoise posted:

Cheap being the operative word, assuming you're willing to clean it and if you break the needle you replace the whole drat unit. If you're basecoating, detail doesn't matter, so you can have it be spattery or whatever, doesn't matter a bit. The cheapest airbrush will give you a better single color basecoat than the best brush in my experience.

http://www.harborfreight.com/quick-change-airbrush-kit-93506.html

I have one of these, and it's basically like owning infinite rattlecans. No special thinners or in-depth cleaning is required, either, since it's an external mix airbrush.
Plus, since it's got 6 quick-swappable reservoirs, it makes doing zenithial/umbral pre-shading super loving easy, since you can just mix up black/white/grey and have your primer coat done in minutes.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I would like a technique that makes painting low-detail areas as easy as painting detailed areas. Like how I can put silver on a bunch of chains and put ink on it and wow, depth. Thanks in advance

:negative:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

signalnoise posted:

I would like a technique that makes painting low-detail areas as easy as painting detailed areas. Like how I can put silver on a bunch of chains and put ink on it and wow, depth. Thanks in advance
Do normal highlights but add glaze medium to paint, 1:1 volume. Bam, 3x better smooth highlights without blending.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 19, 2017

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Southern Heel posted:

I'm not sure how many people are interested in historicals in this thread so I've primarily kept my posting there - but I am really happy with these:

Don't you ever not post your historicals here, Southern Heel. These guys turned out really lively and full of character! (Which company did you say these were again, Perry or something else?)

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010
Good morning all, looking for advice as to where to go from here. I've attached what I've done so far and the reference image. Not necessarily looking to copy the reference 100% but looking for advice on how to get more contrast or more interesting detail.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Crosspost from the SG thread:

Allow me to present "The Burger Boys"

BK ("Upper Management")

Fuddrucker ("Shift Manager")

"Customer Service" (Gangers)

Checkers

Arby

Johnny Rocket

Jack

Hardee

Mac

Carl Jr.

"Fry Guys" (Juves)

Wendy

Denny

Rally

Wimpy

Apologies for the sub-par photos - I'll get some better ones after Adepticon.

I was going for a base color close to the NM tiles, and I wasn't able to get it exact, unfortunately. I think the bases did come out pretty well, regardless.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

PyroDwarf posted:

Good morning all, looking for advice as to where to go from here. I've attached what I've done so far and the reference image. Not necessarily looking to copy the reference 100% but looking for advice on how to get more contrast or more interesting detail.

Push the highlights on the blue further towards white/pale grey. Make the mask it's holding silver, it only looks blue in the reference due to the lighting.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

berzerkmonkey posted:

Crosspost from the SG thread:

Allow me to present "The Burger Boys"

Go Burger Boys! Love em!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Pierzak posted:

Do normal highlights but add glaze medium to paint, 1:1 volume. Bam, 3x better smooth highlights without blending.

I love this thread.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Thank you for the tip Dr. Gargunza! I don't have a big array of yellows but I did have a fluorescent green which gave me the sickly yellow look I was after.

The photograph is showing me some spots I can touch up but this looks way better than the first pass.

Also need to paint those banners in white or grey since it's starting to look a lot like Christmas, but I'm otherwise pretty happy with how it's coming along.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Thank you for the tip Dr. Gargunza! I don't have a big array of yellows but I did have a fluorescent green which gave me the sickly yellow look I was after.

The photograph is showing me some spots I can touch up but this looks way better than the first pass.

Also need to paint those banners in white or grey since it's starting to look a lot like Christmas, but I'm otherwise pretty happy with how it's coming along.

Here's what I did for Skaven green fire. Though I made mine more sooty/dirty.

I just started with a base of white on the whole thing then drybrushed up from lightest colors to darkest.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Dude, the green exhaust plume coming out of that one rat's tank is loving perfect. Nice job!

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
I want to start painting little dudes but I have no paints or brushes or little dudes. Are those Warhammer painting sets with 6 or so paints and a few miniatures worth it or should I just buy what I want separately?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Bullet Proof posted:

I want to start painting little dudes but I have no paints or brushes or little dudes. Are those Warhammer painting sets with 6 or so paints and a few miniatures worth it or should I just buy what I want separately?

Try the Reaper Learn to Paint kits. Much better value for the paints, and the two they have right now (Core Skills and Layer Up) are designed to give you a good, basic set of paints.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Bullet Proof posted:

Those GW starter sets retail at $33, but you're getting 3 snap together minis, a medium base brush, and 8 paint pots that are only 1/4 of a full size pot in a narrow range of colors. You're paying $33 for $25 worth of retail value. I've seen those sets floating around ebay for like $20, which I think is a good price if you just really like Space Marines or Stormcast.

The Reaper Bones sets are way better value all around at ~30 for 11 full size paints in a pretty broad set of useful basic colors, 3 models, carrying case, and two fine detail brushes. Buying the reaper set and a $3 variety pack of poo poo brushes from Walmart is probably The Way To Go, especially if you just want to learn.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 20, 2017

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
Thanks dudes, that looks perfect for what I want.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
At some point, you'll want to get some primer as well if you want to paint anything not-Bones. But that's relatively easy to get. Most regular spray primers like Rustoleum will work, or you can go with a brush-on primer like Vallejo's stuff. However, it's not necessary for Bones minis (and spray primers can actually be bad for them).

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I've only ever tried painting one Bones mini, and that was at a paint-and-take at PAX. The material seemed extremely hydrophobic, and thin coats were quite difficult to do.

Do Bones minis take primer from an airbrush fine?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Floppychop posted:

I've only ever tried painting one Bones mini, and that was at a paint-and-take at PAX. The material seemed extremely hydrophobic, and thin coats were quite difficult to do.

Do Bones minis take primer from an airbrush fine?

Yeah I've never had good luck directly painting Reaper minis but they prime with rattlecan and brush primer fine. I assume anything you would use out of an airbrush should be fine.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

In my experience Bones takes highly pigmented paint best. Reaper HD etc

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I tried Krylon white primer on bones and it stayed sticky even after drying. I stripped that off and used Krylon grey paint+primer which worked better but seems kinda thick to use as primer.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

The Moon Monster posted:

I tried Krylon white primer on bones and it stayed sticky even after drying. I stripped that off and used Krylon grey paint+primer which worked better but seems kinda thick to use as primer.

I use Krylon primer and it stays tacky after primed but paints perfectly fine.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

The primer will stay tacky until its painted over on bones minis, but if its outright wet and clinging to poo poo then you might need to scrub them (reaper uses a certain mold release for their not-quite-hard-not-quite-soft plastic, that gives it that weird smooth-feeling residue). Just soak them in soapy water and go at them with an old toothbrush.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

The Army Painter sprays work fine with Bones, obviously they're more expensive than more generic/multi purpose brands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Speaking of tacky paint, I used some Montana Gold spray paint on my Sisters of Battle and while I've managed to paint layers on top, it stayed tacky for ages after putting the spray layer down. I left it at least 24 hours after spraying the gold. Am I doing something wrong?