Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spellman
May 31, 2011

Larrymer posted:

Taking the switch on a 5 hour flight! Also my DS since I only have 1 game worth playing on the switch...

We know Super Bomberman R is good, but try some of the other games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
That pokemon stars is meant to be out for xmas. Also capcom wanting more ram was because they are porting the RE engine to switch, i read earlier today. probably for future titles but that engine is light as gently caress and my old pc system i built in 2011 with the same amount of ram and a graphics card worst than switch can run re7 (and witcher 3) at acceptable performance and around 30fps. I bet switch could get it running good at 720p.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

RME posted:

is anyone from the Metroid Prime team left at retro

From the original Metroid Prime from 2002? It's mainly the art team and a few producers that have stayed at the developer. Most of the Metroid Prime 3 Corruption team worked on Tropical Freeze.

The Texas Triangle is a hot spot for game development so people tend to move around since many companies actively poach for talent.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

RME posted:

is anyone from the Metroid Prime team left at retro

Their most recent games are the Donkey Kong Country revivals, which are the best 2d platformers in a decade. Whoever's over there, they've still got it.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Gonna go out on a limb and say that if you're super into Madden, AssCreed, Halo, Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Horizon ZD, Gears of God of War, etc. you aren't still hmminh and hahing about which console to buy 5 years into the life cycles of the huge HD consoles and the Switch isn't direct competition against the PS4 Pro 4K Ultra HD VR and is instead trying to create it's own niche market as a portable that can be played on a real TV and thus they're not really expecting to overtake the HD gaming market so things like Carl's Duty 14 would be nice for people who literally only have one system and chose the Switch, but that's itself the nichest market for Nintendo and their own built-in market's largest demo is the other 95% of people. The ones who want new titles and different first or third party games that aren't just the crap that gets shoved out on the huge consoles every November.

People will buy the Switch for Zelda and Mario and Animal Crossing and the hope is that Ubi or Square or Capcom or whatever will build funky new games to add to the library if the console does well.

Literally no one cares about the 16 people who've​ never owned a console but did buy a Switch and can't wait to finally try out Battlefield 1.

Nintendo has its place. The problem to overcome is getting third parties to embrace the niche rather than saying "well our Marine Shooter 17 game is TOO BIG so why develop a different handheld game with a built in thirsty audience?"

Peepee Doodoo.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I've seen at least 10 commercials for the Switch while watching the NCAA tournament the past 4 days, so when we talk about whether it was a good move to increase production, we have to consider the fact that Nintendo is actually attempting to market this thing to someone other than 8 year olds. And I think that will actually increase demand among those with disposable income.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Gonna go out on a limb and say that if you're super into Madden, AssCreed, Halo, Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Horizon ZD, Gears of God of War, etc. you aren't still hmminh and hahing about which console to buy 5 years into the life cycles of the huge HD consoles and the Switch isn't direct competition against the PS4 Pro 4K Ultra HD VR and is instead trying to create it's own niche market as a portable that can be played on a real TV and thus they're not really expecting to overtake the HD gaming market so things like Carl's Duty 14 would be nice for people who literally only have one system and chose the Switch, but that's itself the nichest market for Nintendo and their own built-in market's largest demo is the other 95% of people. The ones who want new titles and different first or third party games that aren't just the crap that gets shoved out on the huge consoles every November.

People will buy the Switch for Zelda and Mario and Animal Crossing and the hope is that Ubi or Square or Capcom or whatever will build funky new games to add to the library if the console does well.

Literally no one cares about the 16 people who've​ never owned a console but did buy a Switch and can't wait to finally try out Battlefield 1.

Nintendo has its place. The problem to overcome is getting third parties to embrace the niche rather than saying "well our Marine Shooter 17 game is TOO BIG so why develop a different handheld game with a built in thirsty audience?"

Peepee Doodoo.

OTOH, I own a ps4uhdvr but it might be cool to play Madden on the train.

I did the switch preorder through GameStop as I had a lot of trade in credit and was not in any hurry. My copies of BotW and Bomberman came early though, and now I'm getting anxious for the switch to ship. My wife and I did unwrap BOTW so we could lick it, though, it was nice of Nintendo to include that kind of sensory gaming experience at least.

Question, is the dock gonna be too snug if I get a glass screen protector and a dock-sock as well? I really like the look of some of those dock covers on etsy, but still want a screen protector since it's a portable system.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I'm huge into the sports games and the one thing I've always wanted was portable versions of the ones I play that can hold up. If we get a portable FIFA and NBA that hold up well I will buy the gently caress out of them every year.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I would buy a good, portable Madden

Also bring back MVP Baseball

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Switched.on posted:

OTOH, I own a ps4uhdvr but it might be cool to play Madden on the train.

Hear me out here... Tecmo Bowl HD. Same play style as the NES. But modern graphics.

Now that's a portable game.

Also, while we're at it, 2D Castlevanias, Metroids, Boys and their Blobs, Marios, etc.

Just go shithouse making games that appeal to the portable aspect of the switch.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Make RBI Baseball Great Again while we're at it, the new ones are garbage

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Portable Arch Rivals or nothing.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Super Dodgeball represent.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
HD Burger Time.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Remake every arcade game and NES game with modern graphics.

I want to play as Colossus in the X-Men arcade game in HD while taking a dump in the airplane lavatory.

I want to hurl my Switch out of a taxi window because I'm playing Battletoads HD.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Empress Brosephine posted:

I didn't lie, I've had that frame drop and so have others?

I don't think it's a definite thing, because I've been to the womb like a dozen times already and haven't noticed a single frame drop yet.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

HD Deja Vu

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I want to play as Colossus in the X-Men arcade game in HD while taking a dump in the airplane lavatory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUBM74bFHZ0

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

enojy posted:

I don't think it's a definite thing, because I've been to the womb like a dozen times already and haven't noticed a single frame drop yet.

Something to consider is are these frame drops happening in docked or in portable mode? Not specifically asking you about that, just wondering if one mode is more predisposed to drops.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Switched.on posted:

Question, is the dock gonna be too snug if I get a glass screen protector and a dock-sock as well? I really like the look of some of those dock covers on etsy, but still want a screen protector since it's a portable system.

You don't need some dumb dock thing. Just get a glass screen protector and you'll be fine.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Calaveron posted:

Somebody explain to me how the procontroller's battery life outlasts a well-taken care of carnival goldfish's but the PS4's controller can't outlast a carnival goldfish as taken care of by me

Is it just because the ps4 has the lightbar

Mostly, as the redesigned DS4's that came with the Pro and slim have smaller light bars and have 3 extra hours of battery life or so. It also does audio and has much stronger rumble (something people turned off and added hours of battery life to DS4's). Also, I think it keeps the gyro on full time, where I notice with my Switch pro controller that when I do motion aiming in Zelda, I kind of have to give it a little bump/jerk to get the gyro aiming active, so it isn't as quick/smooth since I had to go so far left/right just for it to register than I am motion aiming.

On top of that, undersized battery in the DS4.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Is Old Time Hockey going to be good? I loved Blades of Steel, NHL 95 and modern-ish versions like NHL Hitz.

I don't know anything about the developers.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
NBA Jam Tournament Edition please. That would be a neat portable sports game.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Sports games would be cool on the Switch, I remember playing Blades of Steel in the kitchen on a small TV and it was cool

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I was actually kind of disappointed that the new Fire Pro wasn't coming to Switch, just PC/PS4. I mean I'm going to buy it on both but I'd have maybe liked that portable version.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

VideoGames posted:

NBA Jam Tournament Edition please. That would be a neat portable sports game.

When was the last time there was a new NBA jam?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah, arcade style sports games are perfect for the system.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

HD/remastered ports of classic arcade games with local and online multiplayer would own

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

Yeah, arcade style sports games are perfect for the system.

:yeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtyaKuUEU5w

They ported a bunch of WiiU stuff to the 3DS, I want to see a port of this to the Switch

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Windjammers please

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

chaleski posted:

HD/remastered ports of classic arcade games with local and online multiplayer would own

Yesssss, especially local multiplayer. The joycons as individual controllers are so great for this, as well as the fact that most sports games can be played multiplayer without needing to split the screen.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Nephzinho posted:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Nephzinho posted:

gently caress Ubi/EA/whoever, bring on the indies. 1st party Nintendo titles backed up by Stardew, roguelikes, and being a couch multiplayer machine in things like Overcooked and Jackbox, we're good.

I hope this gets a lot of third party support but having tons of indies would own. Nidhogg would be perfect for the Switch.

Nephzinho posted:

It was revived in 2010 first on the Wii without online support, then the 360/PS3 version was released with online support. In 2011, they released a better version for the 360/PS3 called NBA JAM On Fire Edition. It's roster was updated a couple of times and last received one in 2013.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
they put that NBA jam game on mobile too

i think they updated it as well???

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think there's very few devs actually making switch games right now. I think at GDC theynpolled and it was about 3%, slightly less than Apple TV. But this is mainly because Nintendo hasn't opened up dev kits to anyone but basically your premium indie devs yet.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

A new NBA Jam so I can dunk on Trump

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I trust Netflix will come to the Switch. I'm one of those people counting on it as I buy Nintendo as my primary and only system, I rely on being able to use it for streaming. And why not?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Of course it will, but get a Roku or Fire TV or Chromecast. They're cheap, and better than literally any consoles streaming services.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Doesn't Chromecast tie up your computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NormenKD
Jul 14, 2013
The Switch won't be successful until Chris Roberts graces it with his presence :ohdear:

Just 75M more funding and some :science:

• Locked thread