Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Oh, I'll keep this spoiler-free but I just thought of something helpful: Reasonably late into the game, you'll get access to a new merchant who hangs out in the Resistance Camp who will sell you a plot item. They ALSO sell a chip that automatically picks up items for you without you needing to mash O, and as far as I can tell this is the only way to get this chip. Once you beat the game you will have to re-unlock them, so pick this up while you can because jeez it's a real quality of life chip to fill up a slot, its only size 10

The real MVPs what that vendor sells are the Dodge Offset chips and the Slow Mo near energy shots (for Hard/Very Hard play) one. (Continuous Combo and Evasive System, iirc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Does ending E just pick up from there? How long is the journey to ending E after getting c/d?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mordiceius posted:

Does ending E just pick up from there? How long is the journey to ending E after getting c/d?

Leads right into it.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Hard mode is hard, guys

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Got ending E yesterday. What a wonderful game. GOTY material right here. Ending E spoilers That was just brilliant. Getting help from people and learning that they had to sacrifice their save file to do it. Wow.
What were the good videos for catching up to Nier Automata? Friend wants to play the game but can't play the 1st one.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I'm not sure what the point of dodge offsetting is in this game compared to Bayonetta. Are later hits in combos more powerful?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Nina posted:

Okay theory time.

Anybody else get the feeling the only reason Adam grows to become obsessed with hatred to the point it forms the core of his being is because 2B and 9S try to murder him the first thing he's born? He barely even tries to attack you at Level 1 and I feel like it'd be a very Nier thing to do if it turned out the protagonists ruined a potentially benevolent turning point in machine evolution without provocation. Hell Eve would've probably been an entirely amicable person without Adam telling him to fight and his later snapping when the brother he loves is killed.

yeah probably.

but from what 9S finds in the machine network and what you can see throughout the game it seems like the machines only have a capacity for evolution through violence. which is true, if you don't attack him the game just sits there until you do, and he only levels up as you do damage. his birth is the same, when you drop in you find a bunch of machines trying to figure out how to procreate, and only through having the poo poo beat out of them do they work out how to do it. it's the role androids fill, the only reason the machines keep them around. so while it is kind of 2B and 9S's fault, there really isn't any other way it could have gone.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

tap my mountain posted:

I'm not sure what the point of dodge offsetting is in this game compared to Bayonetta. Are later hits in combos more powerful?

I dunno. I have damage numbers off :v:

That said, depends on your weapon, largely. The later hits of the fist weapons and last hit of short sword are real nice. You don't need to use the Dodge Offset, but it's cheap enough to install that it's worth having for the option regardless.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I dunno. I have damage numbers off :v:

That said, depends on your weapon, largely. The later hits of the fist weapons and last hit of short sword are real nice. You don't need to use the Dodge Offset, but it's cheap enough to install that it's worth having for the option regardless.

What you don't like seeing the 303030303033033030303303030303030 scrolling upwards

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

verbal enema posted:

What you don't like seeing the 303030303033033030303303030303030 scrolling upwards

I have nothing against it, but if chucking it out gives me just enough to put something cool in, that's better.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

lets hang out posted:

yeah probably.

but from what 9S finds in the machine network and what you can see throughout the game it seems like the machines only have a capacity for evolution through violence. which is true, if you don't attack him the game just sits there until you do, and he only levels up as you do damage. his birth is the same, when you drop in you find a bunch of machines trying to figure out how to procreate, and only through having the poo poo beat out of them do they work out how to do it. it's the role androids fill, the only reason the machines keep them around. so while it is kind of 2B and 9S's fault, there really isn't any other way it could have gone.

The actual mechanics are super debatable because god what's even going on in that scene. I guess the android corpses are somehow supposed to enable whatever magic conception goes down

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

SpaceDrake posted:

Out of curiosity, am I the only one who's going thru the game nice and slow, doing sidequests as I find them?
Nope, I'm with you. I finished Route B at around 50 hours with 77% side quest completion and like 66% weapon collection with most at level 3. I'm taking my sweet time.

gently caress Speed Star.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Jack Trades posted:

I would if I knew where to look. I only managed to find the missile pod and only because the desert intro cutscene gave me a hint.

That's Pod C. It locks on without actual lock on. Run around and fire off macross missiles while meleeing everything.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Pod B is easily the superior pod. No travel time and hitting multiple enemies is just golden

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RanKizama posted:

gently caress Speed Star.

the slowdown pod program works on him

from what I understand, you can also use the bayonetta witch time plug-in to cheese things even more. never tried it tho

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Warning: Pod C's missile attack is actually useless against the only enemy type in the game that basically requires pod fire to beat
Proposal: Use gatling.
Further proposal: gently caress the snake things.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

you can only miss one thing in the whole game, don't worry

People keep saying this. What is it?

Nina posted:

Pod B is easily the superior pod. No travel time and hitting multiple enemies is just golden

Well yeah but that poster kept complaining about the lock on mechanic being janky and was told not to use it, then his argument was not being able to hit anything with the gun. Pod C let's you just hold the button without caring.

Keep up. :smug:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 19, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fuzz posted:

People keep saying this. What is it?

Ending Y, it's a very very endgame thing.

Details:
When you get all weapons to rank 4, you unlock a quest. this quest is a boss fight. when you finish the boss, let it self destruct. if you interrupt the self destruct, you finish the quest and it can't be repeated.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

ending y. if you beat the second bonus boss without getting the bad end, its locked off.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK also believes getting 3xPowerup Part S is missable, probably by not killing golden stubbies enough to get them.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
When/where should I be finding new pods?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Snak posted:

When/where should I be finding new pods?

One shows up on the map as a big red ??? zone in the desert when available
The other is available by fishing in the flooded city near the waterfall at the end of the zone, this is accessible as soon as the crater appears, but you need to know the way into the flooded city to get there. It's not especially hidden, explore a bit

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieb...d/#5bfd2f5134ec

havent read this interview fully yet so can't guarantee spoiler free

... Except it literally has characters from Nier and makes multiple explicit references to the previous games as being clearly contiguous with the same. :wtc:

Yoko Taro is a bigger troll than Milo.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Nina posted:

Okay theory time.

Anybody else get the feeling the only reason Adam grows to become obsessed with hatred to the point it forms the core of his being is because 2B and 9S try to murder him the first thing he's born? He barely even tries to attack you at Level 1 and I feel like it'd be a very Nier thing to do if it turned out the protagonists ruined a potentially benevolent turning point in machine evolution without provocation. Hell Eve would've probably been an entirely amicable person without Adam telling him to fight and his later snapping when the brother he loves is killed.

Honestly, I don't think so. Adam is born from the Machine Lifeform network and their understanding of humans and Adam himself is a manifestation of humanity's hatred while Eve is a manifestation of love since those are the two emotions that the Machine Lifeforms have attempted to grasp in their creation of Adam and Eve.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Further proposal: gently caress the snake things.
Laser loving wrecks the snakes. Lock on and use it if you can't hack them with 9S. It just sticks to the yellow orb and is wonderful.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RanKizama posted:

Laser loving wrecks the snakes. Lock on and use it if you can't hack them with 9S. It just sticks to the yellow orb and is wonderful.

Problem: Lock on does not work on Hard or Very Hard.
Proposal: Flip the difficulty down and just say "gently caress you" to the snake things.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Fuzz posted:

... Except it literally has characters from Nier and makes multiple explicit references to the previous games as being clearly contiguous with the same. :wtc:

and none of that is necessary for understanding automata

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Fuzz posted:

Well technically it's not the same Emil and not the same Devola and Popola

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also, my damage output has dropped off a cliff. I am level 21, fighting level 25 enemies and they take like, 10 minutes to kill. My weapons are only level 2, but I don't know if that's unreasonable, as I haven't encountered the mats to raise them to level 3 yet.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Hahaha, if only.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Snak posted:

Also, my damage output has dropped off a cliff. I am level 21, fighting level 25 enemies and they take like, 10 minutes to kill. My weapons are only level 2, but I don't know if that's unreasonable, as I haven't encountered the mats to raise them to level 3 yet.

your level matters a lot for fights

at a certain point, you actually can't deal damage anymore if you're too low level compared to your enemies

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nina posted:

Well technically it's not the same Emil and not the same Devola and Popola

It could be the same Emil, the 2nd version of his fight kinda hints at it. Though I don't really think it matters too much if it is him or not, because he gets the memories of Kainé and Nier back at the end regardless of if he is the original or not.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Snak posted:

I beat Route A with level 2 weapons and was consistently underleveled from where you're at right now up until that ending. Took me longer to do things but in the end my damage output was still adequate imo.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Intoluene posted:

Honestly, I don't think so. Adam is born from the Machine Lifeform network and their understanding of humans and Adam himself is a manifestation of humanity's hatred while Eve is a manifestation of love since those are the two emotions that the Machine Lifeforms have attempted to grasp in their creation of Adam and Eve.

Eve is also born of Adam's "rib" and is kind of an offspring of Adam, in the biblical sense. This is also why they talk about eating apples later as giving knowledge. It's super, super blatant, but following that biblical logic, according to Genesis Eve was created solely to provide companionship to Adam and give him comfort. The machine counterparts were no different. It stands to reason that the machines themselves mirrored Genesis quite literally under the belief that it would allow them to more closely understand humanity.

A recurring theme throughout the game is that disparate portions of the machine society are gobbling up anything they can find on philosophy and the meaning of life, specifically because they're sentient and trying to understand why they exist. Judaism/Christianity/Islam, Nietzche, Sartre, the suicide god cult, etc.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Like im fighting a single basic enemy machine. The first type that you encounter in the game. That does the soinny arms attack. For like 5 minutes now. He still has > 90% health. It's just boring. He's 4 levels higher than me...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it shouldn't take that long so you're doing something wrong. idk what, but it's definitely you

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Snak posted:

Like im fighting a single basic enemy machine. The first type that you encounter in the game. That does the soinny arms attack. For like 5 minutes now. He still has > 90% health. It's just boring. He's 4 levels higher than me...
Is he Gold?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

o yea the gold dudes have crazy defense and can be ignored for now, that's a good point

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

RanKizama posted:

Is he Gold?

Maybe? There is a filter over everything in this area. But that must be it.

I'm assuming there is some trick to gold enemies?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Snak posted:

Are the enemies gold? I had the same issue, and if so they're a special type that's specifically for Route B. Ignore them.

I hate how these fan artists consistently triple the cup size of 2B/A2. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Snak posted:

Are you POSITIVE it's the beginning enemy, or it it a slightly gold version? There's a super special series of three gold enemies in the city, in between the desert and the building where you start the game that have an unreasonably high defense and you're meant to come back later and murder them once you get an ability that lets you do percentage damage to enemy health that lets you bypass their defense. Those enemies are also always level 25 which is why I ask, if you walk too far away they'll disappear and then re-approaching them will cause them to respawn, they get dropped in on little helicopter enemies

Fuzz posted:

I hate how these fan artists consistently triple the cup size of every female character from every medium possible. :sigh:

Fixed that for you, but same