Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tonedef131 posted:

Lol It's a steel plate that gets hot and transmits heat to food, what could he have possibly had to say bad about it?

He thought it was...under seasoned. hahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Friend posted:

I have used my anova to warm up gluhwein and sake and it works like a dream. Way better than guessing with the microwave or boiling a pot. Never considered chilling wine with it though!

Isn't it set to melt the ice in that pic? Idgi

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Norns posted:

Use less salt?

People were saying it was the temps and cooking time too. Just curious if there's a better regarded sous vide brisket recipe.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

If you have a weber I would just not use the anova and do this https://youtu.be/k0PYZL8lMrA Brisket is a motherfucker to cook but using that method has worked for me. I just did a final resting of about 1.5 hours wrapped in towels in an ice chest

I'll take a look at this, thanks.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

He thought it was...under seasoned. hahahaha

That's a strange complaint to receive, I'm assuming, over the internet. I have a lot of carbon steel cookware and some of it is completely black, some spotty and some just take on bizarre color patterns. All of it is plenty seasoned, doesn't corrode and is super slick. So I'm not sure how you can judge level of seasoning based on a picture.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

peepsalot posted:

Isn't it set to melt the ice in that pic? Idgi

Eventually yes, but with enough ice it shouldn't matter, the anova will be circulating the water which will cool the wine faster, despite the anova putting out some heat. But then again maybe not, it might be more efficient to just put the bottles in a bucket of ice water and twirl them every so often, I'm no scientist :pseudo:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tonedef131 posted:

That's a strange complaint to receive, I'm assuming, over the internet. I have a lot of carbon steel cookware and some of it is completely black, some spotty and some just take on bizarre color patterns. All of it is plenty seasoned, doesn't corrode and is super slick. So I'm not sure how you can judge level of seasoning based on a picture.

I don't really think that was it, I was just making a joke because Kenji tends to overseason....you know what, never mind.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I don't really think that was it, I was just making a joke because Kenji tends to overseason....you know what, never mind.

Ah poo poo, that's kind of a good joke too.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

I got a chuckle out of it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

tonedef131 posted:

Lol It's a steel plate that gets hot and transmits heat to food, what could he have possibly had to say bad about it?

When people complained that the Baking Steel was too expensive, I told them they could go to a steel mill and get one made for $40. He compared it to going to a junk yard and finding a dirty car door to cook on

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

When people complained that the Baking Steel was too expensive, I told them they could go to a steel mill and get one made for $40. He compared it to going to a junk yard and finding a dirty car door to cook on
Guess where bakingsteel.com gets their hot rolled plates? Yup, a steel mill exactly like your local Metal Supermarkets. I have a whopping $37 into this, gently caress Kenji.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo where'd you get yours done? It looks great, mine's just a slab with rough edges

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Holy poo poo where'd you get yours done? It looks great, mine's just a slab with rough edges

I know, yours looks like a god drat car door

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Dat grease groove tho

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I know, yours looks like a god drat car computer door

https://i.imgur.com/Daoab5M.mp4

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

We have a machine shop where I work, so I came in on a Saturday and machined it. I'm happy to share the program with anyone who has access to a CNC.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

I want to marry that girl...

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I hope to find such a crepe catch someday myself.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

lmao what a tool

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

tonedef131 posted:

We have a machine shop where I work, so I came in on a Saturday and machined it. I'm happy to share the program with anyone who has access to a CNC.

I have some leads on CNC's around here so I would love to see your program

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Steve Yun posted:

I mean that's pretty good. lol

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

I have some leads on CNC's around here so I would love to see your program

PM me your email addy and I'll send you the mastercam file.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

tonedef131 posted:

He made me one. When I'm not using it for searing the bejeezus out of things I use it as body armor for when I'm in combat zones.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

I'm planning to cook an Australian rack of lambs tomorrow. Planning to set it at 130 for medium-rare. Any advantage to doing a dry brine with salt and pepper for a couple hours first or should I just season before sticking it in the bag?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

walruscat posted:

I'm planning to cook an Australian rack of lambs tomorrow. Planning to set it at 130 for medium-rare. Any advantage to doing a dry brine with salt and pepper for a couple hours first or should I just season before sticking it in the bag?

Nah, it's going to release a lot of juices as it's cooking that would circumvent the purpose of a dry brine compared to a dry method like roasting. You're going to have to pat it dry after it's out of the bag anyway, so I'd just season and bag it.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Crust issues aside, a dry brine would season the interior and increase tenderness. I have not done it with lamb, but steaks get a huge boost from a 2 hour dry brine and I can't imagine why lamb would be any different.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Why isn't she using that AMD processor to cook instead of fire?

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

The Midniter posted:

Nah, it's going to release a lot of juices as it's cooking that would circumvent the purpose of a dry brine compared to a dry method like roasting. You're going to have to pat it dry after it's out of the bag anyway, so I'd just season and bag it.

The Midniter posted:

For now I'll just season before putting in the water and try the dry brine with a steak instead. Thanks!

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Probably too late to make a difference for walruscat at this point, but braising works really well for brisket, and a pressure cooker can knock it out in half the time. Nice fall-apart texture, no brining needed, just season it at the table. People do BBQ brisket, but I've never smoked it unless it was brined for a week first and destined to be pastrami.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Jan posted:

Why isn't she using that AMD processor to cook instead of fire?

Unsanitary

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

What's the better way to finish pork ribs, roasting or broiling?

Doing them at 141 for 36 hours with a dry rub then going to sauce them before finishing with the oven

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dacap posted:

What's the better way to finish pork ribs, roasting or broiling?

I roast at 300 for 20 minutes straight from the bag with more dry rub, then brush with sauce and roast for another 10 minutes.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

the_chavi posted:

I roast at 300 for 20 minutes straight from the bag with more dry rub, then brush with sauce and roast for another 10 minutes.

That's what I did, here's the result

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Looks good as hell

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

They were easily the best ribs I've ever had that didn't come out of a smoker

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dacap posted:

They were easily the best ribs I've ever had that didn't come out of a smoker

Yep. I don't bother with ribs any other way now - I have to schlep meat and fixings up two flights of rickety stairs to get to my tiny grill, and I can do one more rack of ribs in my stock pot than I can on the grill. This is easier and very nearly as good.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Anyone with an "original" Anova circulator run into an "error 325" on booting it up? I found a reddit thread that suggests it's related to the impeller impinging on the housing but mine spins freely so I don't think that's it.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
So this was announced yesterday https://anovaculinary.com/meet-the-...sions+customers . I don't think i'd freeze it, but it seems pretty cool.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

That's really cool. I'll probably wait until the "family sized" version is out, since most of what I've done has been larger than that looks.

Unrelated: has anyone ever done this egg yolk sauce? http://www.cooksscience.com/recipes/9047-runny-yolk-sauce/

It looks amazing. We just did fried rice with a fried egg on top last night, but we didn't pack fried egg with lunch leftovers because :effort:. I'd like to try the yolk sauce, and knowing me I'd push their "shelf life: 1 week" to more like a month. Also, I'd probably do it with just 2 or 4 yolks the first time, in case it's a flop.

Also, you can pasteurize eggs without "cooking" them. Just for funsies I'd probably try pasteurizing the whites from above and see if they foam up in cocktails the same.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

tonedef131 posted:

I don't have access or connections to a CNC machine, but I'm ready to Google or whatever I need to to get one of these without paying baking steel prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Crunkjuice posted:

So this was announced yesterday https://anovaculinary.com/meet-the-...sions+customers . I don't think i'd freeze it, but it seems pretty cool.

It doesn't look thin enough to do water displacement as well as a ziplock. It'd be better if it was weighted at the bottom.